Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

What metric are you using for that?

Sacramento's 508k people. Milwaukee in Wisconsin is at 592k and Detroit in Michigan at 672k. And Indiana's biggest is UNIGOV with 867k + Ohio's biggest is 892k. So if we're saying Sacramento is just a bit too small , it would seem you should at least count Detroit, if not also Milwaukee.

Minnesota of course misses out due to stubborn refusal to unite its two largest cities, which are right next to each other - that's on their own heads, skipping on claiming a 730k. And the other states in question lack any place with a full half million, so of course they don't count

No one uses city limits figures because they’re nonsensical.

Use metropolitan area population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

iawtp. unify all georgia forever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

No one uses city limits figures because they’re nonsensical.

Use metropolitan area population.

That's just something people from places with no worthwhile cities say. Ain't nothing nonsensical about measuring cities themselves. Besides if you start measuring metropolitan areas you have a whole big issue with deciding which individual state can claim each metro areas and that's no good.

Anyway here's a handy classification of states by largest city's size.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

No Safe Word posted:

Sacramento isn't a major population center (though it's bigger than I thought, I'll grant) and 3 hours is about as far as you can drive before being closer to some other major population center.

Also

Sacramento County, which is basically Sacramento and its suburbs, has a population of 1.5 million lol

Also California is huge. 3 hours is a drop in the bucket, try driving north of San Francisco. You wont hit another major city until... Redding? Then it's uh, Eugene Oregon. You don't hit another major city until Portland which is like 12 hours away.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
city limit boundaries are worthless for any meaningful comparison of city size because of differential patterns over time and space in terms of urban annexation and jurisdictional crowding. it is a narrow and rules-focused interpretation of cities which ignores the last century of urban development in favor of historical trivia

if you disagree, please justify why phoenix, arizona deserves to be the fifth largest city in the united states

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ignoring metros is kinda silly in the US. Dallas jumps from number 9 city to number 4 behind only NYC, LA, and Chicago if you count the metro. Atlanta jumps from 37 to 9. Boston, 21 to 10. Etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

city limit boundaries are worthless for any meaningful comparison of city

Actually they compare the size of cities precisely. By definition.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

this is not a meaningful comparison though

objects can be different sizes. populations can have different amounts. this is a stunning insight you have stumbled upon and i look forwards to you elaborating how things which are different are not, technically, the same

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this feels like when oocc explained yesterday that chihuahuas are not the same as great danes, with great gravitas and wisdom

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

this is not a meaningful comparison though

Yeah it is. It actually matters a lot if something is a monolithic municipal block with more people than Latvia in it versus a place with core control only over a population equal to Malta.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

iawtp. unify all georgia forever

There's an achievement in Europa Universalis 4 for playing as the Kingdom of Georgia and owning Georgia the State and The South Georgia Islands.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Yeah it is. It actually matters a lot if something is a monolithic municipal block with more people than Latvia in it versus a place with core control only over a population equal to Malta.

this does not matter, actually

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

fishmech posted:

There is a mall in the bay area that is literally in two cities. Using city demarcation lines as gospel is pointless.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
just use urban area

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spoeank posted:

There is a mall in the bay area that is literally in two cities. Using city demarcation lines as gospel is pointless.

Looks like you forgot to make a point.

luxury handset posted:

this does not matter, actually

It does. Sorry you're angry about Chicago being treated as more important than Omaha tho?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
haha fishmech got jursidiction land area confused with population and then started accusing others of being angry

just eat your dinner and go to bed

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Can't wait for fishmech to tell us that Yokohama is the largest city in Japan.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

haha fishmech got jursidiction land area confused with population

Nope. Is this a complaint about the fact that cities do in fact have populations? It's hard to tell with your typical drunken rambling.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wow settle down fishmech. it's ok to be wrong sometimes. not everybody gets it right all of the time

city limit boundaries don't really matter for any meaningful comparison between cities unless you've sworn a blood oath to win all internet arguments, apparently

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Next, we need a slap fight about who has REAL mountains and who has just hills and stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“I’m from rural south Jersey.”

“Lol I’m from Iowa, get on my level.”

“Lmao I’m from Montana, I drive an hour to get to the corner store”

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Next, we need a slap fight about who has REAL mountains and who has just hills and stuff.

there is only 1 real mountain and it is Denali

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Spoeank posted:

Sacramento County, which is basically Sacramento and its suburbs, has a population of 1.5 million lol

Also California is huge. 3 hours is a drop in the bucket, try driving north of San Francisco. You wont hit another major city until... Redding? Then it's uh, Eugene Oregon. You don't hit another major city until Portland which is like 12 hours away.

You could drive the length of my state twice in 3 hours lol.
You are only further proving the nature of your brutal circumstances.

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grape posted:

You could drive the length of my state twice in 3 hours lol.

Shameful. That's the width of the state I live in. The length of my state is at least a 7 hour drive iirc, not counting the key.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's why it's easier to list to list sizes of contiguous urban areas. The US census one for the past few censuses seems universally applicable - to define a metropolitan urban area, there must be at least 50,000 people in a core entity with at least 1000 people per square mile throughout that on average, and surrounding populated areas must maintain at least 500 people per square mile, with the only allowable breaks in population density being commercial or industrial areas that are active - or parklands.

You also define a micropolitan urban area/urban cluster as any jurisdiction of at least 2500 people, who aren't majority in something like a prison or mental hospital, which also meets the 1000 people per square mile definition, and then contiguous chunks of land that manage to meet the 500 per square mile measure.

:thunk:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

city limit boundaries don't really matter for any meaningful comparison between cities

Yep they do. You just seem to be salty because some city you like has ugly borders or something?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xelkelvos posted:

Shameful. That's the width of the state I live in. The length of my state is at least a 7 hour drive iirc, not counting the key.

I was going to continue the witty back and forths, but than I realized you are talking about Florida and I just can't punch down like that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Yep they do. You just seem to be salty because some city you like has ugly borders or something?

i'm not salty at all, you're just wrong about whether or not city boundaries are useful to determine meaningful comparisons between cities

they are not useful for this purpose, and they will not be useful for this purpose no matter how many times you make inquiries as to my current irl emotional state

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

i'm not salty at all, you're just wrong about whether or not city boundaries are useful to determine meaningful comparisons between cities

Nope they are in fact useful. Turns out you can in fact compare aspects of cities, by comparing aspects of cities, and this is meaningful.

But do go on about how Cheyenne and Bakersfield are in fact identical, or whatever it is you're on.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If only there was a Metropolitan Statistical Area we could use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

there is only 1 real mountain and it is Olympus Mons

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

If only there was a Metropolitan Statistical Area we could use.
That for comparing statiistics, of metropolitan areas, though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

That for comparing statiistics, of metropolitan areas, though.

Ah yes please tell me which major population centers aren’t metropolitan areas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah yes please tell me which major population centers aren’t metropolitan areas.

Seeing as the purpose of the metropolitan statistical area is to talk about one or more (depending on which metropolitan statistical area it is) major population center(s) plus areas that are not part of the center(s) but are associated with it? Almost all of them. So yeah sure I'll just list the top ten US examples: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Nope they are in fact useful. Turns out you can in fact compare aspects of cities, by comparing aspects of cities, and this is meaningful.

they are not useful to compare cities in any meaningful way. no amount of power fantasies about me being upset will change the fact that you are wrong

fishmech posted:

Seeing as the purpose of the metropolitan statistical area is to talk about one or more (depending on which metropolitan statistical area it is) major population center(s) plus areas that are not part of the center(s) but are associated with it? Almost all of them. So yeah sure I'll just list the top ten US examples: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose.

these are not the ten largest metropolitan statistical areas in the united states. is this gimmick posting?

e: oh, you've gotten MSAs confused with independent cities

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 1, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

they are not useful to compare cities in any meaningful way.

Yep they are! Maybe you should try using this excuse the next time you want to dodge property taxes or something though.

luxury handset posted:

these are not the ten largest metropolitan statistical areas in the united states.

Nobody said they were. You have a severe reading comprehension today, it seems.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Yep they are! Maybe you should try using this excuse the next time you want to dodge property taxes or something though.

they are not useful for making any useful comparisons between cities, and i see you have now shifted to odd non sequiturs. maybe it's time i stopped antagonizing you by pointing out that you are factually incorrect

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kiss already you crazy kids

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

they are not useful for making any useful comparisons between cities, and i see you have now shifted to odd non sequiturs. maybe it's time i stopped antagonizing you by pointing out that you are factually incorrect

Yes they are. For example, different cities have different property taxes, that's not a non-sequitur. If you truly believed there were no differences between cities, why would you believe in differences in their tax rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
your argument has shifted from macro scale population comparisons between nationally recognized cities to the details of local tax law and i guess the contents of your argument are less important than that arguing makes you feel alive. good luck to you