Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Lord Frisk posted:

Dudes on a map doesn't specify miniatures. It's just area control marked by pieces.

So, how do you have an area control game where control isn't marked by "pieces"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

Speaking of Keyflower, are there any other euros that have as strong a sense of progression baked into the game as that game does with the seasons? That's one of my favorite things about it, that the progression is game-driven rather than player-driven but without feeling heavy-handed.

In which sense, having an ever expanding number of options and abilities available to you or how each season progresses more and more from production to special powers and scoring?

I'm assuming you mean being able to do more and more stuff over the course of the game. I would check out are Race for the Galaxy, La Granja and Hansa Teutonica.

E: If you meant the game having different phases/tempo then I'd second Kanban, Vinhos is good too. Troyes would also be a good choice, the game forces your hand to some extent and there are new actions introduced each round along with some good player interaction. Also I played First Class for the first time last night and I feel like this could also fit, it's a bit lighter but still features some really tough choices and plays quite quick, really liked it.

EBag fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 26, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Speaking of Keyflower, are there any other euros that have as strong a sense of progression baked into the game as that game does with the seasons? That's one of my favorite things about it, that the progression is game-driven rather than player-driven but without feeling heavy-handed.

Dungeon Lords. You know who's coming to dinner kill you each season.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

COIN reviews

Thanks for the thoughts! I primarily aim to play these games with 4 players most of the time. I was already looking at Pendragon/FS since the theme is of great interest to some friends and myself. I'll look for reviews comparing the two roman ones and hope I can get in on the first printing of the Pendragon game when it hits stores. Unfortunately, I can't see the graphics for the playtest map as it stands but you don't really buy COIN games for their pretty maps anyway. The maps are at least decent enough to look at compared to 18xx maps. Oh god what I wouldn't give for Days of Wonder, L99 or even Queen games to do a revamp of 1830/46 so I would actually buy one of those games. A super saturated cartoony map would look great for 1830 while we crash each others' stocks, just like it does for Argent.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I actually find FitL to be one of the weaker entries in the genre and ADP is still the best because it's really cut-throat politically. If you have friends, ADP is still the best one in the bunch. Falling Sky is second. CL is still good as an intro but really suffers in the gameplay department, especially for the government faction.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just played Wizard School.

Holy god is that a bad game. I'm liking it less and less the more I think about it.

Essentially it's coop munchkin with a harry potter theme. I use munchkin very deliberately, because not only do you flip over a card and fight a monster or have something happen to you or the like, but every card has hilarious references to pop culture, including hamilton, d&d, harry potter of course, and much much more.

The cards don't contain enough information for you to know what they actually do, the rulebook is written badly enough that it doesn't answer those questions, the game is slow while being super light...

Friend of mine has bad taste in Kickstarters, not that that's anything more than a truism really. Don't play this game. I dislike Munchkin and Evil Baby Orphanage *more*, but that's in no way an endorsement of this pile of trash.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Essentially it's coop munchkin with a harry potter theme.

This literally sounds like the worst game ever made. :barf:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

This literally sounds like the worst game ever made. :barf:

I hated it less than munchkin as I said. Mostly cause, while slow, it didn't *actually* last forever. There were concrete things to work on, and either you finished them or you lost.

But yeah it was really bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Has anyone played One Deck Dungeon?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Two things:

1. Falling Sky is my favorite COIN for the reasons COOL CORN mentioned + I love the theme. It also has a beautiful map and the strongest bot system so far. I have Pendragon pre-ordered on P500 because it looks like a very different game (it's set 500 years later despite them both being "the Roman ones").

2. Why is no one mentioning Cyclades in their list of DoaM games?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CaptainRightful posted:

2. Why is no one mentioning Cyclades in their list of DoaM games?

Cyclades is an auction game and auction games can't be other types of games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Doug posted:

So, how do you have an area control game where control isn't marked by "pieces"?

What? All i said is they don't need to be miniatures. Not sure where you got this.

If you're being pedantic, you can have area control marked by status chits rather than a number of pieces in an area.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is the (intensely mediocre) Starcraft Super Expensive Gigantic Box game a "Dudes on a Map" game? Like, you win the game mostly by controlling spaces and fighting over those spaces.

e. fighting, with dudes.

(and I've played Scythe once, so I guess I've played DoaM)

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

One of my favorite game nights ever was playing ADP with a military guy who had just got back from Afghanistan (he was playing coalition, this was non-negotiable), a history teacher (on warlords), and another friend (on Taliban). Military guy was super impressed by how much of the feel of the war that they captured correctly, including his frustrating interactions with me as government (I kept selling him out for patronage).

...and I've never played the game again. The game is brutal to teach, long, fiddly, usually fails to give you interesting choices, and the only solid limiter on politics is the lack of clarity. I know it's wrong to judge a game based on a single playthrough, but that single playthrough was dominated by politics in ways that feel like a familiar rut. Our warlord player was way ahead until we all noticed - then we overshot on murdering him, after which he was irrelevant until rejoining the crab-bucket-peloton-turdball at the end. Coalition won our game mostly because we weren't familiar enough with his scoring, so he effectively had some shadow points that pulled him ahead of the pack. If we had all been more prepared, it feels like it to something anticlimactic like what event flipped last.

It's a neat game: I love the setting, I love the asymmetry. I love event cards and hidden units and upgrades. But the combination of long and political - especially when it throws in awkward to teach - just kills a game for me.

Anyway, it's definitely worth experiencing one of these games, but as someone who got hyped on COIN games by this thread, I thought someone else out there who shares my tastes might benefit from an alternate perspective.

VVV: While I don't see us playing the game again, the post here ended up more negative than I intended. I'm sure lots of things would be better with more plays - in the end I just don't think it's my kind of game.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think that the coalition implementation is the weakest part of ADP (and this was fixed by FitL of all games) and I don't deny that the game is long, fiddly and quite political, but I would contest that it doesn't give you enough interesting choices. Cuba Libre, as the government, doesn't really have interesting choices to make, but ADP is replete with them, so I'm not particularly sure what your point is there.

I do agree with everything else, but I've always found the game very engaging (but that's partially because I'm not particularly bothered by long games if I find them engaging).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Aren't Dudes on a Map games just Strategy games?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

nimby posted:

Aren't Dudes on a Map games just Strategy games?

As an utmost homogonized term, sure. But that's like saying "isn't pizza just food?". Yeah, but there's obviously subsets below that categorization. Food Chain Magnate is also a strategy game. Obviously isn't "dudes on a map".

The problem with the whole conversation being that there's no really standardization for board game language, so you end up with conversations like the one here with people arguing about what is and isn't [genre], telling people they're wrong, etc., based on their own assumptions and/or interpretations. Same stuff happens with classic terms like "ameritrash" and "eurogame".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Merauder posted:

As an utmost homogonized term, sure. But that's like saying "isn't pizza just food?". Yeah, but there's obviously subsets below that categorization. Food Chain Magnate is also a strategy game. Obviously isn't "dudes on a map".

The problem with the whole conversation being that there's no really standardization for board game language, so you end up with conversations like the one here with people arguing about what is and isn't [genre], telling people they're wrong, etc., based on their own assumptions and/or interpretations. Same stuff happens with classic terms like "ameritrash" and "eurogame".

FCM is Foods on a Map :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah dudes on a map is a super loose term that generally means things like Risk, Kemet, and other area control games that are mostly combat focused. Just like the worker placement discussion though, it's a very basic premise that many games may implement in pieces or new ways. Inis is a good example of that.

Have any developers tried to make a lane based combat game like Clash Royale? Was just thinking last night that could probably translate well to a tabletop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Have any developers tried to make a lane based combat game like Clash Royale? Was just thinking last night that could probably translate well to a tabletop.

Castle Panic?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Castle Panic?

Haven't played it. Basically I was thinking a dueling tower defense/lane pushing game. I guess Rum and Bones is the closest to that, but I haven't heard anyone say anything good about that one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

Castle Panic?

Don't forget the 20 _ Panic reskins

I didn't like it the couple times i played it.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 26, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

On the plus side, discussion is good and cool, imo. :v:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Haven't played it. Basically I was thinking a dueling tower defense/lane pushing game. I guess Rum and Bones is the closest to that, but I haven't heard anyone say anything good about that one.

Played Rum and Bones last week. I probably would try it again but was not crazy about it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

please knock Mom! posted:

Anyone here have experience with replaying Gloomhaven? I'm fine with persistently changing my Pandemic Legacy box (great experience/game, btw) but wanted to keep that one around for guests/more people than just a party or two. I was thinking about just making the stickers into fridge magnets.

Other than actual card modification, the stickers on the board don't make too big of an impact. You can even ignore them and track what you have unlocked separately if you want. Combat cards for the classes, however, can be pretty heavily changed, which would have a fairly significant impact on future plays.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Sloober posted:

Don't forget the 20 _ Panic reskins

I didn't like it the couple times i played it.

It's a very reasonable choice for kids (my 6 year olds have gotten a reasonable number of plays out of it), but I can't imagine playing it more than a couple times as an adult. It's pretty much tower defense themed Candyland.

Speaking of kids games, we're finally through our Mice & Mystics campaign; they loved it because they loved the story and mice and button shields; I was dying inside by the end despite swapping out tons of repetitive tiles for my own BS. I'm going to do my best to steer them away from any expansions.

God that game is a weird mess. Lots of stuff has the feel of "this idea made sense from sort of high level design/theme view, but makes no sense/difference in the game". In the end I think what kills the game most is its indecisiveness about whether it wants to be a campaign game or something you can drop into for a single mission. As it stands, they always have to hedge stuff to preserve balance (and the last mission is a maze of "if you're doing this right after X then blop or else blorp"), meaning in the end there's no progress or variety over time: you end up just fighting the same monsters on the same tiles again and again. Even between turns there's no variety: it exemplifies the problems of these low-ambition "tactical" games where every turn you move and attack, and maybe pay a cheese to get a bonus. Oh, and kiting. Kiting forever.

Last: the tone was all over the map, mostly "brave mice who have one character trait" being brave and working together and having one character trait, all suitable for 6 year olds - but then occasionally juicy exploding eyeballs and boring kingdom intrigue and bad-hot wizard ladies seducing lonely widower kings.

Disappointing game.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Elenkis posted:

For my group, it's a buggy mess so far. We had one player use the spade action on his bonus card to terraform a yellow hex to brown but still got charged three workers for it (and the card became marked as used). We've had multiple times where people haven't been able to take their turn or the turns haven't synced up properly. And right now we had two players pass, but then when I passed it showed both the others as still having their original bonus cards and I couldn't pick either of them. Then the round ended and one of those other players now doesn't have any bonus card at all (possibly because the game let me pick the same card that he had already picked)! So yeah.

The design of the app seems really nice, just buggy. At least in multiplayer anyway. We're also playing cross platform, so that may be making things worse? No idea.

Responding to my own post because they've since released a couple of updates for the game. We just got done playing through a three player online game and didn't encounter any problems at all. The app seems to be in a much better place now.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elenkis posted:

Responding to my own post because they've since released a couple of updates for the game. We just got done playing through a three player online game and didn't encounter any problems at all. The app seems to be in a much better place now.

That bug hit me really early on so i'm glad if it's fixed, because it did that to me when i used the two spade power action. That sucked, and killed my game. For my part the bugs were hit or miss, in that i could play a full game and get nothing, while another seperate game my text got garbled up and i was unable to take any action at all

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kruller posted:

Other than actual card modification, the stickers on the board don't make too big of an impact. You can even ignore them and track what you have unlocked separately if you want. Combat cards for the classes, however, can be pretty heavily changed, which would have a fairly significant impact on future plays.

What I've done is sticker the sleeve instead of the card. So if you want to play with the unenhanced card you just change sleeves.

There's also an officially licensed removable sticker pack available for people who really care about the aesthetics.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Merauder posted:

Characteristics of Games, by Garfield, Elias, & Gutschera posted:

Words (and the concepts they represent) as people actually use them do not possess necessary and sufficient conditions that define their boundaries. There are no precise definitions of complex concepts like "game," no definitions that will include all things that people accept as games and exclude all the things that people reject. Instead, as Wittgenstein pointed out, a category like "game" includes a great many different things that have a family resemblance rather than exact boundaries:

There is the tendency to look for something in common to all the entities which we commonly subsume under a general term. We are inclined to think that there must be something in common to all games, say, and that this common property is the justification for applying the general term "game" to the various games; whereas games form afamily, the members of which have family likenesses. Some of them have the same nose, others the same eyebrows and others again the same way of walking; and these likenesses overlap (Wittgenstein, The Blue Book, 17)

That said, I'm kinda interested to hear where people find the delineation between the "DOAM" family and the "Proper Wargame" family.

(I personally consider DOAM to be a wholly-subsumed Venn within the broader genus of Wargames, but I understand that a number of self-described wargamers would take issue with that notion. Granted, a number of self-described wargamers take issue with Twilight Struggle or COIN being called wargames, and are wrong.)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I had both Scythe and Cyclades sold to me with "don't worry about the fearsome minis, there's not a lot of fighting really."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

That said, I'm kinda interested to hear where people find the delineation between the "DOAM" family and the "Proper Wargame" family.

(I personally consider DOAM to be a wholly-subsumed Venn within the broader genus of Wargames, but I understand that a number of self-described wargamers would take issue with that notion. Granted, a number of self-described wargamers take issue with Twilight Struggle or COIN being called wargames, and are wrong.)

As a casual war gamer, to me the line is simulation. Kemet has a higher body count than some wargames I've played but nothing about its design is simulating conflict. Remove the simulation from a war game and what do you get? Literally dudes on a map.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Dudes on the Map is another word for Risklike

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would argue that Dudes on a Map games must include an individual pieces that can be removed from the board. My favorite dudes on a map game is Command and Colors Ancients.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

I would argue that Dudes on a Map games must include an individual pieces that can be removed from the board. My favorite dudes on a map game is Command and Colors Ancients.

That's a tactical war game consarnit!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Aston posted:

Dudes on the Map is another word for Risklike

But risk is garbage and shouldn't be the defining example for better games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Board gamers sure like putting everything in little boxes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lord Frisk posted:

Is there a new dudes in a box game out!?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

I wish board games came in little boxes! have you seen Citadels 2e? Same game, double size box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My favorite dudes on a map game is Marco Polo