Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

Separate question for you folks: I recently took over our Cell phone management.

Try and give it to somebody else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DigitalMocking posted:

Fortunately she just wanted a couple of days to get her feet under her.

All 3 positions are in process of being approved today.

Glad to hear things are working out the way they should!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Any current FreshService customers in here that wouldn't mind posting their opinions? Most likely going to be recommending it as a replacement for Spiceworks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use Freshdesk in a ~45 person company for managing helpdesk and have no issues. I have raised a few tickets to their support and they're always really responsive and open to feature requests etc. So the helpdesk side of things is sound - I presume you're more interested in inventory tracking etc?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sickening posted:

Is there really not a browser out there that gives the same benefits as the tor browser but doesn't sound shady as gently caress?

By definition, no. You can't run through the tor network or anything similar and not look suspicious.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Fool posted:

Any current FreshService customers in here that wouldn't mind posting their opinions? Most likely going to be recommending it as a replacement for Spiceworks.

It’s ‘okay’. It’s not better or worse than every other helpdesk solution I’ve tried out.

We use it for helpdesk and change control. We were using inventory and contract management but the former was better handled by other software and the latter just sucked.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Our ticketing system got wiped out by cryptolocker and the data is most likely gone :hellyeah:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Our ticketing system got wiped out by cryptolocker and the data is most likely gone :hellyeah:

Where would one download this cryptolocker program, were one inclined to do this at their own job

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mewse posted:

Where would one download this cryptolocker program, were one inclined to do this at their own job

Not emptyquoting.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We used our recent LockerGoga event to " accidentally" lose some backups of poo poo like Timberline. And oh wouldn't you know it all the DCs got upgraded to 2016 and the domain functional isn't 2003 anymore. Weird. What's that? Our seven file servers are now one proper dfs-r cluster?

Seriously 5 days of uninterrupted downtime was awesome after the panic wore off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Antioch posted:

We used our recent LockerGoga event to " accidentally" lose some backups of poo poo like Timberline. And oh wouldn't you know it all the DCs got upgraded to 2016 and the domain functional isn't 2003 anymore. Weird. What's that? Our seven file servers are now one proper dfs-r cluster?

Seriously 5 days of uninterrupted downtime was awesome after the panic wore off.

Sounds like time well spent.

That crypto incident might just have saved you some money in the long run :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Gonna be pretty funny when it turns out all this *locker crypto business was just some disgruntled guy trying to bring the world's IT infrastructure up to speed like some kind of IT Robin Hood.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"they will look up and shout 'save us'.
And I'll whisper 'test your backups'"

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"they will look up and shout 'save us'.
And I'll whisper 'test your backups'"

What backups? Those cost money, if we spend money on that we won't have as much for new stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

server_drives.jpg

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Antioch posted:

This is excellent - gently caress Timberline. (And Sage).

Out of curiosity, why not 2019? It's basically 2016 SP1.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any way at all to add SharePoint sites to Word 2013 (yes I know) via GPO? Microsoft's documentation on the 2013 ADMX templates is very poor.

The problem we have is that users can link SharePoint to Word without an issue, but it only shows the default team site - there seems to be no way to get to document libraries in other sites on the same tenant without pasting URLs into the explorer-like interface, or browsing using the web interface and then hoping that it remembers that you opened a document from that destination.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tetramin posted:

Atlassian Shrugged.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Atlassian Shrugged.

:drat:

Stealing this for use at work later!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I don't know why I find this so funny

https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/1115803471972786176?s=19

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao I just shared that with my coworkers

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I wonder how many mH that coil is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Inevitably, that will end being used over a 6'6" run in the network closet because the next-longest cable anyone could find is 6'.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is it possible to maintain a stable 10 megabit Ethernet connection over that cable length?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
They saved him some time by crimping two of the ends at least.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Director went to my boss’s office three times today asking where I was. I really figured the first time he went in and was told that myself and another were at a HP executive briefing that was scheduled, approved, and vendor paid would be enough but apparently not. I’m curious what the other two times were like.

Anyway from now on all conferences and trainings will come out of PTO. Lol

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
E: ^^^ are you loving kidding lol? Love sweeping policy changes because a big wig had a stupid rear end question and couldn’t find somebody

I was wondering if you’d even get a link lol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds like either a good reason not to go to any more conferences or a good way to make a few extra bucks with a wage theft claim when you leave the company (check the statute of limitations, etc).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Director went to my boss’s office three times today asking where I was. I really figured the first time he went in and was told that myself and another were at a HP executive briefing that was scheduled, approved, and vendor paid would be enough but apparently not. I’m curious what the other two times were like.

Sounds like time to :yotj:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea the dude hates training and work from home. Asses in seats. It’s absurd.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like time to :yotj:

There’s an architect position open that would not change any of my duties so I’m gonna try for that for the title. Get more money and immediately turn around to jump ship the second I can.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah good luck, people like that are loving nuts. Read a few books on management written in the 80s and for whatever reason don't get murdered by the people who report to them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Is it possible to maintain a stable 10 megabit Ethernet connection over that cable length?

I have one extremely ill advised run at a plant that's about 700ft and can barely manage 10 half with an enormous amounts of errors, so idk maybe?

It exists because the fiber to a scale shack pc died, and instead of just fixing it or doing something that made sense they just shoved 700ft of cat5 into the conduit and called it a day.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I saw that as well and I read some of the replies had a few theories. One was that it was to dodge import duties somehow, and another was that it would protect the cable from corrosion. No idea if any of that is the real reason.

It's solid-core cable, I'm not sure it really matters once you cut the connector off.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:toot:

The interview went really well, and I got a pretty decent bump in pay. Definitely a different ball game environment-wise too. Got to get some stuff done (cat videos) in the next month now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah good luck, people like that are loving nuts. Read a few books on management written in the 80s and for whatever reason don't get murdered by the people who report to them.
Nah, a lot of the best management books came out of the '80s: Deming's Out of the Crisis, Goldratt's The Goal, Porter's Competitive Strategy, and a pile of others. You can't even blame the decade for these chucklefucks. These are the people who constantly repeat how if you go to prison, the first thing you do is find the biggest, baddest mother in the joint and crack his skull. They then manage this way, every day.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s the tl;dr on 80s management books?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

What’s the tl;dr on 80s management books?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vg7DLT2cew

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Seems weird to risk legal issues by making that a policy instead of just not approving your training when you ask for it.