Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

England seems way to complicated and should probably be abolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was in 1707, but nobody got the message.

If Spain had their way and only allowed sovereign states with international recognition to field international soccer teams this would have probably come to a head a while back.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

It was in 1707, but nobody got the message.

If Spain had their way and only allowed sovereign states with international recognition to field international soccer teams this would have probably come to a head a while back.

didn't know spain wanted to lose the world cup so badly

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here's a partial explanation of parts of the most recent changes to how "London" was legally formed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAusbJmRB0c

Just like some parts of the US, a lot of areas managed to get themselves excluded from new forms of London in order to be able to dodge taxation authority that would be granted!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well yeah, you've aready explained that London is a tiny town (a villae, really) of about 3 square kilometer.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9qlNBBoFG4

Ancient Rome had problems keeping city borders updated, too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Let me guess, this came up when Gibraltar wanted to join FIFA?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/SonerCagaptay/status/1156541859289804800

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That Cycladic island only ruled by the Ottomans for 99 years is Tinos, a very unique place. Here's some fun words about it:

https://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/tinos/introduction.htm

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's bait.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Let me guess, this came up when Gibraltar wanted to join FIFA?
It was more when Catalonia wanted to join and said "Scotland and Wales don't even have legislatures (as was the case at the time) and they get to field international teams."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I hope someone makes the reverse of this map too. Would make even less sense, but I'd still laugh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No Smyrna, bad map

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what's the little white part on the bottom that remained independent in the mainland

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's the Mani peninsula apparently

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's isolated by mountains, poor, rural, and generally doesn't have anything worth conquering.

It was the last holdout of the worship of the Olympian gods for the same reason.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
They basically paid tribute to the Ottomans, who figured, sure, why not. Be as independent as you want.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Ionian Islands are the true Greece (ignore the italians)

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Epicurius posted:

They basically paid tribute to the Ottomans, who figured, sure, why not. Be as independent as you want.

I can't imagine that the Ottomans saw much practical difference between "obedient taxpaying people under our rule" and "peaceful tribute-paying people who do what we say even if they're not officially imperial territory."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

buddhist nudist posted:

I can't imagine that the Ottomans saw much practical difference between "obedient taxpaying people under our rule" and "peaceful tribute-paying people who do what we say even if they're not officially imperial territory."

Not enough difference to spill blood over at any rate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also notable is that much of the territory that was otherwise unconquered by the Ottomans was was taken over by Venice.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Montenegro is kinda weird in that regard, it was technically conquered by both, but it was sort of like a mini-Afghanistan in terms of how much trouble it was to actually hold. I don't remember the exact quote, but an Ottoman general said something along the lines of "We send a regiment, they get slaughtered, we send an army, they starve."

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

Some options would be the west coasts of most dry tropical deserts. Lima, Peru is pretty drat close to what you want, with very frequent fog and very moderate tropical temperatures. Slightly colder than you desire at some times of the year, but pretty close:

However some people say Lima's "fog" is more like a light rain, so if you are determined to be picky it might not suit you.

The other climate that could possibly meet these criteria is tropical cloud forest. So Monteverde Costa Rica for example, and a lot of areas in the Andes. I don't think any place will have a temperature band THAT narrow though. Monteverde is like 60-80 all year. I don't know if anywhere on earth has temperatures that regular

Lima's weather is nice except for those 3 months of summer, it gets to 32 celcius, which is not good with the ocean next to you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

quote:

Geographic distribution for 39 incidents of extemporaneous wild animals found by customers in prepackaged produce items purchased in the U.S. (One frog incident from July 2012 didn't include any specific geographic location.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Montenegro is kinda weird in that regard, it was technically conquered by both, but it was sort of like a mini-Afghanistan in terms of how much trouble it was to actually hold. I don't remember the exact quote, but an Ottoman general said something along the lines of "We send a regiment, they get slaughtered, we send an army, they starve."

“Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people. They’re very aggressive people.” --Donald J. Trump, very stable genius

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I have to wonder who the designed Cornol's coat of arms. Like how did that ever even happen.

E: On Cornol's website:

"Ecusson : Origine hypothétique: Cornol porte dans ses armes trois têtes de Maures rappelant les légions africaines au service des Romains (bâtisseurs et constructeurs des routes pour les Romains)."

Tr: "Coat of arms: theory of origin: Cornol's coat of arms has three Moor's heads, recalling the African legions in service of the Romans (builders of roads for the Romans)"

That seems... like quite a stretch? But I can't think of any other reasonable explanation either, given that it's a tiny village that probably never had a population above 200 and it's in the middle of nowhere in the Jura foothills that occasionally changed hands between France, Basel, and Bern.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 5, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The moor's head is a very old (like from the high middle ages) heraldic symbol so probably just some guy had it in his coat of arms but because he's been lost to history their only option is fanciful stories

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Minenfeld! posted:

"AH-peets" or "UH-peets" apparently.

Ah-beets.

It’s really, really good.

It’s descended from “tomato pies” made without cheese by Italian immigrants in New Haven.

Some distinguishing characteristics:

- rough shaped crust, never perfectly round
- order by the pie, not the slice
- remember to ask for cheese if you want it

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Frank Pepe’s Clam Pie for life.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Moors head was a heraldic symbol used by the crown of Aragon at some point.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The Moors head was a heraldic symbol used by the crown of Aragon at some point.

That one actually makes sense though, I’m sure they beheaded no shortage of Moors in Aragon. Probably not so much in Basel.

Although why they represent the heraldic Moor as a sub Saharan black person is kind of odd, but I guess some things get lost in translation, like Othello.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

I have to wonder who the designed Cornol's coat of arms. Like how did that ever even happen.

E: On Cornol's website:

"Ecusson : Origine hypothétique: Cornol porte dans ses armes trois têtes de Maures rappelant les légions africaines au service des Romains (bâtisseurs et constructeurs des routes pour les Romains)."

Tr: "Coat of arms: theory of origin: Cornol's coat of arms has three Moor's heads, recalling the African legions in service of the Romans (builders of roads for the Romans)"

That seems... like quite a stretch? But I can't think of any other reasonable explanation either, given that it's a tiny village that probably never had a population above 200 and it's in the middle of nowhere in the Jura foothills that occasionally changed hands between France, Basel, and Bern.

Corsica and Sardinia have Moor's Heads as well, Corsica just the one on white and Sardinia 4 on a red cross

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Corsica and Sardinia have Moor's Heads as well, Corsica just the one on white and Sardinia 4 on a red cross

Corsica's comes from the time it was under Aragon rule. I don't know about Sardinian history, but considering the proximity, it's probably related.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 6, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Saladman posted:

That one actually makes sense though, I’m sure they beheaded no shortage of Moors in Aragon. Probably not so much in Basel.

Although why they represent the heraldic Moor as a sub Saharan black person is kind of odd, but I guess some things get lost in translation, like Othello.

I mean yeah, most likely it was some on some rulers coat of arms and it caught on. I don't know if Aragon ever owned Basel territory (I doubt it), but it's gotta be something like that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

“Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people. They’re very aggressive people.” --Donald J. Trump, very stable genius

?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Saladman posted:

Some christian king invited fourth muslims kings to a meeting, but was a trap, and he made the soldiers cut his heads.

Wellcome to Crusaders Kings 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9UnQa0m8pQ&t=20s

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There’s also a different, more explicit kind of moors head on the coat of arms of Evora, a Portuguese city.

jfc

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Or, as they say in Germany, kruzitürken.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A crucifix inside a chicken inside a turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/19/very-aggressive-trump-suggests-montenegro-could-cause-world-war-three