Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's true, NWA IS nothing

Nothing but the wrestling in the world!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:lmao:

I envy these people sometimes, truly

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean I can see it....but also if it's true lamo and laffo and lolllllllllllllll

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
https://twitter.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1702378780977725542?t=KQecz8PAyBlih-YNeh2_kQ&s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tyrus ride or dies watch Guttfield and guffaw loudly at every line because they can't figure out where the punchlines are

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Why is Tyrus always on Fox? Why did they build the NWA around him? Which came first? Why did whichever came first ever happen at all? It's Tyrus. Why not literally anyone else? These are honest questions I have.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1702385526513254691

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

1glitch0 posted:

Why is Tyrus always on Fox? Why did they build the NWA around him? Which came first? Why did whichever came first ever happen at all? It's Tyrus. Why not literally anyone else? These are honest questions I have.

He started appearing on Fox around 2016 or so, while he was in TNA. By the time he signed with NWA he was already a weekly talking head guy on various Fox shows. Probably why Bill signed him to begin with if anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

He started appearing on Fox around 2016 or so, while he was in TNA. By the time he signed with NWA he was already a weekly talking head guy on various Fox shows. Probably why Bill signed him to begin with if anything.

He really liked Tyrus from their mutual time in TNA.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's Gutfelds Andy Richter after impressing him as a guest once

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Drakkel posted:

Huh, do we know what about a random TNA wrestler grabbed Fox's interest? He's not terrible at the gig for what it is, but it's not like Bully Ray or a dozen other guys couldn't do the same act on Fox. I was wondering if maybe JBL hooked him up with some connections, but I don't know if they were ever that friendly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Red Eye/Gutfeld was always sort of a weird pop culture centric late night talk show thing in comparison to the rest of Fox News's lineup. It was half talk show, half PTI/Tough Crowd "rapid fire arguments/jokes about events of the day", and while the panels were often full of Fox News type ghouls, there would also be comedians and musicians and actors and etc. on. Presumably either Gutfeld or one of his producers like wrestling, since part of that panel rotation early on included appearances from Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler, and I want to say a couple of other wrestlers. Tyrus felt like another person in that line, but I guess he really hit it off with everyone and pretty soon was there almost every week, defending cops and sexually harassing his co-hosts.

According to Tyrus himself, Gutfeld DMed him to come on after he tweeted a bunch of pro-cop, anti-BLM tweets and it just sort of snowballed from there. But this also suggests maybe Gutfeld likes wrestling enough to see Tyrus's tweets? No idea. Regardless, I don't think it was "TNA booked him to go onto Fox News instead of [insert other contracted wrestler]" regardless.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It wouldn't be the PWI 500 if they didn't forget one big name. It's practically a tradition.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has naito had a good year I don't keep up with njpw. Apparently neither does this list lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Shard posted:

Has naito had a good year I don't keep up with njpw. Apparently neither does this list lol

Well he beat Muto in his retirement match in front of 30,000 people, which means he's probably had a better year than #474 Colt Cabana

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Well he beat Muto in his retirement match in front of 30,000 people, which means he's probably had a better year than #474 Colt Cabana

Lol colts on that list?! He barely worked all year

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shard posted:

But carrying the camera for Brandon must count towards the list.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shard posted:

i mean, the feud he won this year was pretty high profile

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

from a discord I'm in

not anywhere near as egregious as most posts itt, but still, lmao if you know so few wrestlers in the US at least that you say 'I mean I guess Tyrus is top 500 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not really sure how dumb that is, 500 is a lot of names to remember

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'd probably have a hard time naming 100 but I feel safe saying there's 500 better than Tyrus.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i saw a guy fall down out of a tree who moved better than tyrus did

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a not-too-serious kayfabe list, so NWA champion being in top-100 shouldn't be too controversial, even if he sucks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Venomous posted:

from a discord I'm in

not anywhere near as egregious as most posts itt, but still, lmao if you know so few wrestlers in the US at least that you say 'I mean I guess Tyrus is top 500 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

If 501 wrestlers exist, 500 are better than Tyrus.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When you factor in the lucha titles, the NWA title would def rank well in a list of titles based on the same criteria PWI uses to rank wrestlers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The real error is Kaito Kiyomiya being far too high on the list :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

OK, lets start. Is there anyone you'd say is worse than Tyrus in New Japan? No, I'd take Tomoaki Honma over him, Honma gives a poo poo even if he's physically very limited. At worst Jado is a push. So just going through the Cagematch page of people who've wrestled on New Japan shows (which includes Strong, the Australian shows & Fantasticamania) you're looking at over 100 people. Can I honestly say I have seen a Jack Bonza match? No & I probably never will. Does that mean he's worse than Tyrus? No, definitely not. He can almost certainly move. Move onto the AEW page. There's over 200 workers who've got 1 AEW booking in 2023 alone, and that doesn't touch on the regulars. Have I ever seen Hayden Backlund wrestle? Well, no but he was apparently on Rampage this year. Is Karen Jarrett better than Tyrus? :shrug:

OK, the point is that PWI don't have to remember 500 wrestlers, they aren't doing this off the top of their head. Someone has been able to put together a PWI 500 equivalent for the best black wrestlers, and that seems a way harder project than just 500 wrestlers. I'm not saying I could make a top 500 wrestlers list that would even satisfy me let alone anyone else, because missing people is inevitable without rigorous checking which is more effort than I'd be willing to put in, but man. Tyrus is real loving terrible is what I'm saying I guess.

What I really want to know is who got Kohei Kinoshita in their at #472? Because that is an obscure name, he's the Dove Pro Heavyweight champ & also holds a couple of other super minor belts like the UWA Tag Team Titles, which are wrestled for exclusively on Big Japan Osaka shows for some reason despite the lineage going back to the old lucha group UWA (the first champs were Gran Hamada & Riki Choshu). Meanwhile Violento Jack & Tomoya Hirata & Toru Sugiura & Daisuke Masaoka who all held the top title in FREEDOMS in the eligible period, a much bigger promotion that also is just easier to follow in the west because some of their shows air on Samurai TV don't appear at all. It's just a fascinatingly weird choice & I want to know how it was come to. I don't even know where exactly Dove Pro airs and I put together a weekly summary of what's happening in puro.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 15, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Naito not being included was a clerical work but honestly he should be trying to win belts with the prestige of the NWA if he wants to be ranked. Glad PWI takes history seriously

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

If you started running out of names you could fill out the rest of the list with Pokemon and I wouldn't call you on it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s also a kayfabe list, so it makes sense that the absolutely washed and totally immobile top champ of a prominent promotion would be included anywhere in the list over even, say, some hypothetical wonderkid who’s busting out double corkscrew SSPs every weekend in front of 7 people in bumfuck nowhere for We Don’t Flyer Our Shows Wrestling.

Is Tyrus a better wrestler than our hypothetical superhuman freak of nature? Well he’s got a recognised title, so in kayfabe he must be!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Claytor posted:

If you started running out of names you could fill out the rest of the list with Pokemon and I wouldn't call you on it.

Machamp should be number 1, he's had his belt for almost 30 years

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It’s also a kayfabe list, so it makes sense that the absolutely washed and totally immobile top champ of a prominent promotion would be included anywhere in the list over even, say, some hypothetical wonderkid who’s busting out double corkscrew SSPs every weekend in front of 7 people in bumfuck nowhere for We Don’t Flyer Our Shows Wrestling.

Is Tyrus a better wrestler than our hypothetical superhuman freak of nature? Well he’s got a recognised title, so in kayfabe he must be!

Ok what is the prominent promotion that had an immobile top champion?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

in front of 7 people in bumfuck nowhere for We Don’t Flyer Our Shows Wrestling.

isn't this just NWA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The337th posted:

isn't this just NWA

No the NWA draws 50.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Venomous posted:

from a discord I'm in

*slowly counts on fingers*

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Can we get this PWI 500 list as a Sporcle quiz

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
PWI 500 season rules because all the dumbest and most insecure people come out of the woodwork and whine about it because they take the rankings of a kayfabe magazine as a personal attack on them and all their favorite wrestlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/WhatsTheStatus/status/1702471764167577993?t=9KDIibMaf0vV-wtZzT2J-Q&s=19