Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What happens to nail clippings once they've been clipped? Do they rot? turn to dust? dissolve in water? How long does that take to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Usually, they get eaten by dogs or babies is my understanding.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cockroaches, too.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

the popular kids posted:

I hate winter. I have stupidly dry skin but it is the worst on my face. Especially my eyelids and lips. I can deal with constantly applying something to my lips (but will take recomendations) but what about for my eyelids? Most moisturizers seem to be out because I'm guessing they aren't good for around eyes (the dryness goes right into the lashline and corners).

I've tried Vaseline but the greasiness is annoying.

I look awful, help.

Vitamin E oil.
Coconut oil did next to nothing for me, but Vit E has been helping immensely.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was there a special term used for those soldiers who would go around after a battle with spears and kill the wounded, similarly to how a soldier on guard duty is termed a "sentry"?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Was there a special term used for those soldiers who would go around after a battle with spears and kill the wounded, similarly to how a soldier on guard duty is termed a "sentry"?

medics

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I burned my fingats real bad on a soldering iron and they're all goopy so I'm keeping bandages on the burns, but should I expose them to the air part of the time so they like, dry?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No. Keep them clean and covered.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
By now, I'm sure most goons know about the sites Frinkiac and Morbotron.

I'm wondering how is it that the creator hasn't been served with a Cease and Desist from 20th Century Fox yet? They have nearly entire episodes worth of screencaps and gifs, surely that fall outside of Fair Use?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tuyop posted:

I burned my fingats real bad on a soldering iron and they're all goopy so I'm keeping bandages on the burns, but should I expose them to the air part of the time so they like, dry?

Wounds and stuff don't need to dry out or get air on them, that's just old fashioned nonsense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

By now, I'm sure most goons know about the sites Frinkiac and Morbotron.

I'm wondering how is it that the creator hasn't been served with a Cease and Desist from 20th Century Fox yet? They have nearly entire episodes worth of screencaps and gifs, surely that fall outside of Fair Use?

since all they have is screencaps and gifs they arent competing with actual episodes and their existence is basically helping to market the shows. fox would gain nothing from going after them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Wounds and stuff don't need to dry out or get air on them, that's just old fashioned nonsense.

Huh, I totally believed that!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuyop posted:

Huh, I totally believed that!

The absorbent pads on band-aids and the like take care of getting rid of any liquids that need to be gotten rid of. That's also why you're supposed to change the dressing every so often, in case that ends up saturated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the slot under the hazard light button (below the stereo) in a Ford Transit for? My best guess is that it seems to fit credit cards, but why?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Crankit posted:

Dressings need to be changed regularly though, so the fluids can be absorbed and there is still a clean and dry bandage to keep dirt out.

Keeping scrapes somewhat dry or aerated is important. Skin maceration is definitely a thing best not googled, but burns have a large risk of infection, so better to keep them covered.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

veni veni veni posted:

What is the slot under the hazard light button (below the stereo) in a Ford Transit for? My best guess is that it seems to fit credit cards, but why?

Maybe for those cards you get to release you from pay carparks, or toll cards or something similar which you basically use to get a work vehicle in and out of sites with controlled access.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

On some models sold to big company fleets, they have a mechanism in there that can be used for stamping tickets or time cards, depending on what the company needs. To save money though, they just build the one faceplate thing for all the Transits, and the slot is sitting there open regardless of whether the print/stamp option is installed.

It's like how a lot of other cars will have random buttons on the dashboard or radio that don't actually function or have a label - if you'd bought a higher model they'd do something and have a label.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where is Buffy the Vampire Slayer available without paying for it individually?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where is Buffy the Vampire Slayer available without paying for it individually?

All of the seasons are up on Netflix.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

jjack229 posted:

All of the seasons are up on Netflix.

I wish there was a way to see their offerings without a sub ahead of time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wish there was a way to see their offerings without a sub ahead of time.

C'mon, I get that this is the stupid question thread but I googled "netflix database" and there's like five. Here's the first one that came up: https://flixsearch.io

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are the pros and cons of duplex-down? How much should you be concerned about flooding in a modern (built >2000) if the building is not in a flood zone?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Memento posted:

C'mon, I get that this is the stupid question thread but I googled "netflix database" and there's like five. Here's the first one that came up: https://flixsearch.io

I meant why Netflix doesn't allow searching of their own offerings themselves without a sub.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Chuu posted:

What are the pros and cons of duplex-down? How much should you be concerned about flooding in a modern (built >2000) if the building is not in a flood zone?
Renting or owning?

Flooding while not in a flood zone in a >2000 building should be virtually none. There is some chance of it, but in that scenario (unless there are other factors you aren't mentioning), I would worry more about other risks (burglary, tornado, etc, etc). At some point you have mitigated getting flooded as much as you can, and the remaining flooding there is no way to forsee.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I meant why Netflix doesn't allow searching of their own offerings themselves without a sub.

Because they want you to sign up for a free month to see what they have and then most people will just stay on

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was reading the Sweethome's thing on dishwashers, and it mentioned that on average doing a load of dishes by hand uses 27 gallons. That seems like an awful lot, considering I would estimate the typical kitchen sink at maybe 5 gallons, and you don't fill the entire thing to do dishes. Where the hell did they get that number?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

hooah posted:

I was reading the Sweethome's thing on dishwashers, and it mentioned that on average doing a load of dishes by hand uses 27 gallons. That seems like an awful lot, considering I would estimate the typical kitchen sink at maybe 5 gallons, and you don't fill the entire thing to do dishes. Where the hell did they get that number?

People who don't stop the sink and leave the faucet on the entire time, I bet. There are so many people who do things like that, and I'm sure it's the same people who can't figure out that crowding the gate area doesn't get them on the plane any faster and who then hold up the entire line behind them trying to stuff things that obviously won't fit into the overhead bins.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

People who don't stop the sink and leave the faucet on the entire time, I bet. There are so many people who do things like that, and I'm sure it's the same people who can't figure out that crowding the gate area doesn't get them on the plane any faster and who then hold up the entire line behind them trying to stuff things that obviously won't fit into the overhead bins.
Uhhhh... I don't generally like to wash my dishes in dirty water. Seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose...?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

You need to actually rinse off your dishes while you're washing them, and that's a lot of water. When older faucets are on at full blast they can use as much as 4-5 gallons of water per minute, while the newer standard is to have them limited to 2.5 gallons per minute.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

You need to actually rinse off your dishes while you're washing them, and that's a lot of water. When older faucets are on at full blast they can use as much as 4-5 gallons of water per minute, while the newer standard is to have them limited to 2.5 gallons per minute.

"While you're washing"? Surely just at the end to get all the soap off?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Uhhhh... I don't generally like to wash my dishes in dirty water. Seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose...?

I mean more like when someone leaves the faucet running while they scrub things for a long time, instead of shutting the faucet off and turning it on to rinse.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
That said, I hope this topic precipitates a multi-page acrimonious derail of accusations and affected shock at other posters' barbaric procedures, those animals

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

"While you're washing"? Surely just at the end to get all the soap off?

You're going to use about the same amount of water whether you rinse them individually as you wash, or rinse them in big batches after washing all of them. Especially if you don't have a split sink and somewhere to put them when they've been washed but not rinsed yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

You're going to use about the same amount of water whether you rinse them individually as you wash, or rinse them in big batches after washing all of them. Especially if you don't have a split sink and somewhere to put them when they've been washed but not rinsed yet.

Oh, I thought you meant rinse, then back in the soapy water. That would be strange.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm trying to find a browser game from 2002. All I can remember about it is it was a 2d platformer, your character was orange or yellow, you collected things, and it played the stock gong sound effect a lot.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Can I use the named of a permabanned account? via namechange or even buying a new account?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It might be technically possible but I'd put money on that getting you banned under suspicion of ban avoiding.

E: Also now that you've asked that question you've probably guaranteed any mods reading will scrutinize your posts to decide whether or not you're someone that they've banned before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

504 posted:

Can I use the named of a permabanned account? via namechange or even buying a new account?

Talk to an administrator (not a moderator) and find out. I got this username after message an admin after the original owner hadn't logged on in five years.

A banned user is probably a bit different but it's worth asking.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Couldn't find a GTAV PC thread so I guess I'll ask here.

Is there any mod that lets you customize any car? (cop cars, ambulances, fire trucks etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

If I have a marketplace(I think? BCBS Bronze) health insurance plan through my work, is there any possible way the rate can increase if and when they repeal the Affordable Care Act? It's a 1 year policy so I'm assuming what I pay would have to stay the same throughout the entire period regardless of what happens.