Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I know physics and all but I want a 12 Pro Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

If only the original iPhone had copy and paste and MMS like these true masterpieces

It really is insane how much better it was than everything else on the market at the time.

It legit is still worth going back and watching the original iPhone keynote.

Its literally a crowd watching a paradigm shift in real time. When Steve does the pinch to zoom, theres a literal gasp from the audience.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jabro posted:

I know physics and all but I want a 12 Pro Mini.

Same. Id pay whatever extra it would cost to have that 3rd camera and larger sensor in that size.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Duckman2008 posted:

It legit is still worth going back and watching the original iPhone keynote.

Its literally a crowd watching a paradigm shift in real time. When Steve does the pinch to zoom, theres a literal gasp from the audience.

I still remember the first time I saw this in person and I was loving blown away. It was so smoooth, like there wasnt anything at that level anywhere.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Werent the first Android phones were planned to look like that until the iPhone was announced?

Nothing against Android but it will take something huge for me to switch from iOS at this point.

Jobs tried to be all mentor-like to one of the Google founders and gave him a board seat. He saw the iPhone prototypes and yeah, they quickly changed to a touch interface. That is one of the reasons Jobs was so pissed at Google. This is what Google was going to release:

Also the first Apple phone collaboration with Motorola, which was a stupid piece of poo poo, cost 150 million dollars to develop. Which makes no loving sense because it was a standard looking candy bar phone that just happened to play iTunes songs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Someone was telling me Apple gives a discount on AirPods when you buy an iPad or iPhone is that true?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Someone was telling me Apple gives a discount on AirPods when you buy an iPad or iPhone is that true?

their back to school sale this year included either free airpods or discount towards airpods pro when you bought a mac or ipad, but i dunno about anything else.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

decypher posted:

Yeah if the wireless charger can stick on the phone when you pick it up why not just plug it in at that point?

We don't know this for sure yet but presumably the desk puck has a weak magnet just to get the alignment correct for charging and you can still pick it up off the puck with one hand.

And then if some kid of car mount comes out it will have magnets strong enough to hold the phone to it while moving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mediaphage posted:

their back to school sale this year included either free airpods or discount towards airpods pro when you bought a mac or ipad, but i dunno about anything else.

Last December they had a "get a $100 apple gift card when buying an iPad" deal too, so it might be worth waiting to see if that happens again.

You could get smaller credits for cheaper stuff, I want to say you could more if you bought a laptop but I could be manufacturing that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Noticed the 12 Pro is still available to preorder here in Australia. Do these not sell out right away anymore? Didn't really pay attention for years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Noticed the 12 Pro is still available to preorder here in Australia. Do these not sell out right away anymore? Didn't really pay attention for years.

They don't sell out, they just keep pushing back the ship date. It's probably sometime in November by now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want a 12 pro max I just don't want to miss any opportunities to get a freebie or discount as I also need replacement AirPods.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Update from a couple of weeks ago on the locked iPhone 5s I found in the electronics trash:
Bought an unlocked one with a cracked screen, replaced logic board. Using the 5s daily now and I love the form factor. It's so nice to have a small phone, and it feel damned solid. Does pretty much everything my android phone did. Sucks a bit to be more "locked in" when it comes to apps (had to surrender and just get the drat facebook messenger app).
Will keep using it!
$27 all in (charger cable was $10 lol...)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or how they kept teasing Flash support, but never did it. For good reason I guess. They did get a mobile version of Flash running on an iPhone, but it reduced battery time to 2 hours and probably turned your phone into a hot pocket.
They never teased it...just kinda never acknowledged the blank boxes of Flash content during the first demo :v:. Jobs even wrote like a "gently caress Flash" manifesto posted on the main website at one point.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has there ever been a purple iPhone option? I hate how Apple is pulling the stupid change color availability based on nothing?. I would have liked a new 12pro in green. But that was last years color so it cant be offered again!
Not the shade I was thinking of, but would the lavender iPhone 11 count?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasnt iMessage/FaceTime meant to be open sourced at one point?
FaceTime was "based on open standards" or something and I think meant to be opened...then yeahhh. iMessage was later and I don't think they ever said anything about opening it up.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

In NorCal it looks like all configs of the Pro are still available for in-store pickup on Friday or Saturday, except for Silver, which is sold out in all storage sizes. All 12 models are available for pickup on Saturday. I guess the rumors that supplies would be limited this year due to COVID were wrong, or maybe demand is down due to people losing their jobs? Last year's launch was similar in the Bay, with most models still being available for launch day pickup well past 24 hours after pre-orders opened.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

japtor posted:

FaceTime was "based on open standards" or something and I think meant to be opened...then yeahhh. iMessage was later and I don't think they ever said anything about opening it up.

Apple got hit with a patent infringement lawsuit regarding FaceTime which they lost, and had to rearchitect how it worked in a way that wasn't really feasible as an open standard anymore. Oh well. There were some rumors that Apple was going to launch iMessages on Android 2-3 years ago but nothing ever came from that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MrOnBicycle posted:

Update from a couple of weeks ago on the locked iPhone 5s I found in the electronics trash:
Bought an unlocked one with a cracked screen, replaced logic board. Using the 5s daily now and I love the form factor. It's so nice to have a small phone, and it feel damned solid. Does pretty much everything my android phone did. Sucks a bit to be more "locked in" when it comes to apps (had to surrender and just get the drat facebook messenger app).
Will keep using it!
$27 all in (charger cable was $10 lol...)

Pretty good.

The OG SE is being sold sooner rather than later for peanuts so you might want to buy a broken one of those (my carrier offers $10 for a damaged one lol) and do the same screen swap. It's the same phone except with double the RAM and a decent processor boost, and it gets the latest iOS.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Euphoriaphone posted:

In NorCal it looks like all configs of the Pro are still available for in-store pickup on Friday or Saturday, except for Silver, which is sold out in all storage sizes. All 12 models are available for pickup on Saturday. I guess the rumors that supplies would be limited this year due to COVID were wrong, or maybe demand is down due to people losing their jobs? Last year's launch was similar in the Bay, with most models still being available for launch day pickup well past 24 hours after pre-orders opened.

Weird. 9 minutes after launch my in-store pickup options for Berkeley crapped out and home delivery dates shifted into November. I tried choosing in store pickup at first because it was still Oct 23 but after one attempt to check out with this the slot became unavailable and it threw and error every subsequent time I tried to choose in-store pickup.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you can hold out a month or so Apple has their Apple One plans launching that include 2TB storage. I would plug the math to see if it works for you

$30 per month just seems a bit too high since I dont use any Apple services aside from iCloud.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you can just get the 2tb of storage now by itself for $10/mo

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

maybe demand is down due to people losing their jobs?

hasn't stopped PS5, Xbox, RTX 3000 from selling out in seconds

I think this supply chain thing might be the only thing Tim is good at.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Am I misremembering or did people give Apple a ton of crap for not releasing a 5G iPhone last year and now nobody cares about that feature because 5G coverage is horseshit?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I misremembering or did people give Apple a ton of crap for not releasing a 5G iPhone last year and now nobody cares about that feature because 5G coverage is horseshit?

No that's correct

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have 5g coverage and a 5g phone and it's nice but not a game changer with around 400Mbps down at home and work. 120hz would have been much more appealing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I honestly cannot imagine a single scenario wherein I would actually need or want 5G over LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I have 5g coverage and a 5g phone and it's nice but not a game changer with around 400Mbps down at home and work. 120hz would have been much more appealing.

Can you clarify this ? Are you saying you are getting 400Mbs on your 5G service, or is that your home and work Wi-Fi ?

Euphoriaphone posted:

Interesting. Apple will always have the most inventory, as of today Verizon has the iPhone 12s shipping on time, the iPhone 12 Pros are shipping for October 30th.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
5G feels kinda like 4k/8k TVs where marketers seem way more excited about it than any actual person I knew. I get that no company wants to be last at saying their phones get to use the bigger numbered network, but meh.

I live in a moderately sized city and theres a large dead zone there that I can never use my phone at. Despite my phone saying LTE and giving me 2-3 bars, everything refuses to load. Given that 5G apparently borks out if a pigeon gets between you and a the signal, Im not really sure what the hype is when the continental US still has areas where 4G/LTE doesnt extend to at all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LODGE NORTH posted:

I honestly cannot imagine a single scenario wherein I would actually need or want 5G over LTE.

That's because one doesn't exist anymore.

Millimeter wave requires line of sight and in the current situation, it's just easier to wire up any given house.

There's the MIMO improvements that help in locations where crowded events happen often enough to have use for the infrastructure.

So you get not-really-better speeds in exchange for less fault tolerance.

And whatever the next actually useful step is, I'm pretty sure it requires radical breakthroughs that will make everything older incompatible. My guess is some brilliant new antenna design.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

5G will apparently give me better coverage than LTE on T-Mobile so I'm more excited for that rather than having faster speeds.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

5G will apparently give me better coverage than LTE on T-Mobile so I'm more excited for that rather than having faster speeds.

Only because T-Mobile is poo poo. Much like literally every operator and the regulators in the US.

Covering every bit of the continental US not a national park with LTE isn't some massive project, the operators could do it and remain profitable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Theyre poo poo but I do have a better time with them than I did with ATT due to the much cheaper service.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People keep pointing at mmwave when making fun of 5G but all I care about is Tmobile cranking out low band 600mhz 5G

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There are more types of 5G than mmWave; it's going to do wonders for congestion. It'll also encourage carriers to upgrade their backhaul, which will also make a big difference.

e:f;b

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

astral posted:

There are more types of 5G than mmWave; it's going to do wonders for congestion. It'll also encourage carriers to upgrade their backhaul, which will also make a big difference.

e:f;b

lol

No it won't and you know it. They'll do the barest minimum, then sell the new 5G for better speeds through QOS, and then when they got people locked into contracts, caveat emptor.

In a world where they give one poo poo about customer satisfaction or have regulation, it would. As is, the answer will be "all competitors do the same".

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 17, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For any Aussies, I got an in-store preorder for The Most Popular Phone (Blue 256GB Pro) no problem at JB Hifi.
Receipt says 23rd but who knows if that's real.

LODGE NORTH posted:

There is a certain amount of niceness being on the new technology before it's congested with proles slowing everything down.
LTE was a dream when I had my shiny new iPhone 5 (in Space Black, RIP.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Don't get me wrong, I love a new neat technology, but everything 5G does apart from millimeter wave and the congestion handling has already been more or less backported to LTE (and some bits of the congestion handling too). Extended Range LTE vs 5G 600mhz isn't an exciting change, much less one worth investing in.

I'm not exactly a fan of the way the millimeter wave radar problem was solved with "lol who cares about a bunch of nerd scientists who want to keep people safe", I have no illusions about how much the providers invest in their infrastructure (the minimum they can get away with, both from legal and marketing perspectives), and I do understand the technology.

And the technology ain't worth the transition to a new generation of hardware.

The congestion handling is a lot better. The congestion being a problem with the technology rather than the provider cheaping out on towers only could happen in the very biggest cities with a massive amount of commuters or in big events, and both of those are a lot smaller problems now, and it will take us A While to get the infrastructure back in place for a return to densities like we had... if we do at all.

Now if we could get the millimeter wave to behave at lower power levels without entirely sacrificing range or blocking the signal by those inconvenient bags of water attached to almost all devices, we'd really be in business. I mean, other than for the fact that I don't need the bandwidth. I'm already wearing two spare batteries everywhere, what the hell am I going to do on my phone that requires more bandwidth and doesn't require me to add a bandolier of power banks to my daily carry. Latency? Meh. LTE's already below perceivable for almost every use case.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

T-Mobile has somehow been the least poo poo which is all I can do. I am also looking forward to the bump in coverage 5G will afford. Their coverage, generally, isn't bad it just so happens that my exact 1/8th mile block is a dead zone that requires either 5G or wifi. :psyduck:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

endlessmonotony posted:

Pretty good.

The OG SE is being sold sooner rather than later for peanuts so you might want to buy a broken one of those (my carrier offers $10 for a damaged one lol) and do the same screen swap. It's the same phone except with double the RAM and a decent processor boost, and it gets the latest iOS.

Ah, nice! I'll keep an eye out! Thanks!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I dont know whats funnier: Apple not including 5G capabilities in the non-US phones but still increasing prices or the fact I had to change carriers recently because large chunks of London still didnt have any form of coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dugong posted:

I don’t know what’s funnier: Apple not including 5G capabilities in the non-US phones but still increasing prices or the fact I had to change carriers recently because large chunks of London still didn’t have any form of coverage.

Lol what? As of this year only Italy has considered FR2, everywhere else but the US is focusing on FR1 (Sub 600). Non-US phones have 5G capabilities.

Rollout in London sucks whether youre on 3 or EE, and dont get tricked by EEs supposed full coverage of London, because its more of a yes its there but good luck getting more than one bar and actual usable speeds better than 4G.