Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Went 2-2, one loss against a guy with a nuts deck and the other from dying to my own Ice Over'd Fretwork Colony which at the end was like a 14/14 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The store here was packed for what it's worth. Building a brewery next door was probably a good idea.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

KillarySwank posted:

Hopefully this will be fixed before I have to judge my Sunday prereleases.

Spoiler: It won't be

It's up now fwiw.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

The store here was packed for what it's worth. Building a brewery next door was probably a good idea.

People gotta come up with new decks somewhere!

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah every time it was played against me I sighed. In a GW tokens deck with Nissa, Oath of Ajani and Ajani it will be very annoying.

Other benefit is that he fucks with CatLady decks. They can't combo off until they get him off the table, sense even with 1 counter he can snipe the Saheeli.

If Green/White is a deck, that guy is what will give the deck a real shot against Cat Lady sense I can't think of any other instant speed ways they can gently caress with the combo (unless I'm forgetting something probably am)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

Other benefit is that he fucks with CatLady decks. They can't combo off until they get him off the table, sense even with 1 counter he can snipe the Saheeli.

If Green/White is a deck, that guy is what will give the deck a real shot against Cat Lady sense I can't think of any other instant speed ways they can gently caress with the combo (unless I'm forgetting something probably am)

G/W has access to the dumb 1 cmc enchantment that hoses the combo. It also has access to heart of kiran that can saheeli on the draw or play.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Aethersphere Harvester and a couple other common/uncommon vehicles alongside two Renegade Maps were my MVPs for prerelease. Along with a dual land I ran four colors smooth as hell and went with a mishmash of good value midrange poo poo. Other standouts were Quicksmith Rebel and Reckless Racer; Racer in particular was doing work because he was almost always either attacking or crewing every turn.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Finished today's pre-release 3-1, didn't drop a game after round 1.

Also got to Black Vise (:c00lbert:) a guy to death in round 2, he completely flooded out and actually found it pretty funny throughout.

e: Aaaand I placed fifth and missed prizes because 4th had a bye. :argh:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 15, 2017

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
I went to two pre-releases and 4-0'd both of them. The first one I had a really solid GW deck that I just curved out with most games. The second one, I was GUr and mostly just crushed people with double Ridgescale Tusker.

Got absolute trash rares. Such is life.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man, the GB hardening scales snake plus scrounging bandar is a pretty great combo. Nothing like turning 2 card combos in to green gearhulks.

Also the bandar plus renegade rallier is pretty value as well. I pulled 2 ralliers in my pool but so few revolt enablers I went a terrible 2-2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
1-3 with a bye. I won one pack, opened it, and got a Hope of Ghirapur. This is why you don't open your prize packs, kids.

On anogher note, I got two non-foil basic lands in one of my prerelease packs. I think the basic land was where a foil would have been. The extra land was an Island. I'm sure that Richard Garfield got a little spring in his step today when I opened that pack.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Did a second pre-release, WR were both really good, UB had Tezz and 5(!) counters and I really wanted to build UB control but I just had no late game closers as well as just a single piece of removal (sacrifice x creatures, destroy x creatures). Stuck with WR Aggro and cleaned up.

The shop was selling pre-release packs since that was their last event and two people (no joke) bought 10 of them and cracked them in the shop. Mtg players love gambling to pull foily special cards.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think this set is totally uninspiring to play, as a sidenote. The mechanics are kinda dull and only a few cards seem to make you really want to bend over backwards to enable revolt. It feels kind of vanilla.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

I think this set is totally uninspiring to play, as a sidenote. The mechanics are kinda dull and only a few cards seem to make you really want to bend over backwards to enable revolt. It feels kind of vanilla.

The revolt mechanic seems really lovely in limited. Improvise seems ok-ish, but a lot of people just ended up jamming too many bad artifacts in their deck and then just drawing all the bad artifacts and never the payoffs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

The revolt mechanic seems really lovely in limited. Improvise seems ok-ish, but a lot of people just ended up jamming too many bad artifacts in their deck and then just drawing all the bad artifacts and never the payoffs.

ShaneB posted:

a bad sealed format? how shocking.

revolt will work better in draft since you can aggressively go after Scrounging Bandars and Renegade Maps and stuff. Improvise will still be bad though because most of the artifact creatures in AR are trash, and the payoffs aren't worth playing a bunch of do-nothings

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Did one prerelease.

Opened absolutely nothing of value.

Was able to scrounge up a C- G/W deck.

Lost round 1 to a G/R deck with Nissa, Chandra, the green stompy mythic reptile thing, and all the red removal in the world.

Dropped 0-1.

Huzzah.

Edit: Guy across from me opened a Pithing Needle, Tezzeret, and Dovin Baan. Guy to the left of me opened the Saheeli Cat Combo + Ajani + Consul Flagship + Sword of Body and Mind. :suicide:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 15, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

Did one prerelease.

Opened absolutely nothing of value.

Was able to scrounge up a C- G/W deck.

Lost round 1 to a G/R deck with Nissa, Chandra, the green stompy mythic reptile thing, and all the red removal in the world.

Dropped 0-1.

Huzzah.

Edit: Guy across from me opened a Pithing Needle, Tezzeret, and Dovin Baan. Guy to the left of me opened the Saheeli Cat Combo + Ajani + Consul Flagship + Sword of Body and Mind. :suicide:

Someone in round four at mine didn't have an opponent because they had to leave early, so he got the prize pack. There was a Chalice of the Void in it.

The most valuable card I got was a Botanical Sanctum. I spent $30 to get a four-dollar dual land.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

That kind of pool is so astronomical that its hard to believe to be legit. Not only are his Kaladesh packs both mythics, they are perfect mythics. Ajani and Sword of Body and Mind were good enough.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Final trip report. This limited was hysterical.

Won my first 3 rounds with Esper Affinity without dropping a game and went 1-2 against GR when he dropped 2 7/11 crew 6 things and just crushed me table 1 final round.

Nothing really in my packs but I had a fun time not withstanding the DC I software making GBS threads itself and 4 rounds taking 6 hours.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh yeah these two expedition Sol Rings were totally opened in my sealed pool, pretty lucky huh?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Prereleases for my store are at noon and 6pm tonight. I think the prize support is pack for everyone who participates and a second box for the top 8.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My first sealed pool had a Torrential Gearhulk masterpiece, an Ajani, the two black mythic Demons, a foil Dynavolt Tower, and two Peacewalker Colossus. I went BG splashing white and didn't win a match because the decks were too fast even with tons of removal. My next sealed pool I opened crap, but had some good RG commons so I did that and won all my matches, most in under fifteen minutes.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I just realized that AER limited is a format where you can Shock the Monkey, and thus it is good.

Opened the flying lifelink vehicle, bounce whale, bullshit uncommon rhino train, and artifact Chord, and made a decent r/u flyers and vehicles deck that went 3-0-1 for 7 packs (80ish people, fixed at 4 rounds, prizes based purely on record)

Opened nothing in prizes, then watched two side by side groups at the following 2HG event open a Vial and Wurmcoil

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Cactrot posted:

Staff of domination is pretty good in this limited format.

Hi five staff buddy. Pretty much only used it to tap creatures. Rakdos did work with Battle at the Bridge, Yahennis Expertise and Unlicensed Disintegration.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
This was my first prerelease, my first time playing magic in public at all. First off... Some of these people smell bad.

Opened a Saheeli in one of my Kaladesh packs but no guardian :sad:. Went 2-0-2 with G/B mostly revolt deck. Everyone got 2 packs at the end.

Had a great time and hope to find a less smelly store for next time.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Went 0-3 and dropped before the last round because we would've had uneven players if I didn't.

Had enough to cobble together some really awkward WR energy aggro stuff. Basically got hosed by all 3 of my opponents having 2+ Yahenni's Expertise and me mana flooding or starving every match.

Got given 2 pity packs.

Most of the games were me just looking at my opponent while they had mana up and waiting for "In response..." whenever I went to make a play

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

three secret salvage + dark intimations + lost legacy + dubious challenge + pack-in gonti's aether heart :negative:

went 2-2 for the midnight pre release running G/W weenies. Had a playset of ospreys along with the bandars that shift counters along with the uncommon verdant gearhulk. i won against four color vehicles and simic control, lost to esper vehicles and red green energy.

second pre release today, pulled baral, yahenni, dark intimations, sram's expertise, foil push, pummeler, and fleetwood cruiser. pack in was oath of ajani.

went 3-1 running g/w midrange again. wanted to run red but i literally had one creature in 16 red cards (aether chaser). my black wasn't too great either. i wound up with 2 of the uncommon verdant gearhulks, two of the elves that give a 1/1 counter when etb, two ospreays, a skyskiff and dino train, a lot of decently curved guys overall. beat a g/w mirror when they flooded, beat grixis control, beat u/r spells, lost to mardu vehicles in 4th round.

i dont wanna say they cheated because that would be lovely, i suck as it is, i own that and take my lumps when i lose, but they had harvester, dinotrain, copter, heart of kiran, skysovereign, and seemingly perfect removal at all times with push, conclusion, shocks, disintigration...like either they're just stupid lucky and had the most pushed prerelease box ever, or some jackass decided they were going to just mix and match cards they had on them + their pre release from yesterday + their pre release today.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
3-1 with a straightforward rg deck. Best value play of the night was quicksmith rebel on a key to the city.

I had a tonne tonne tonne of super close games. Peeling some energy for the panther to get trample while at one life, multiple games racing and winning at two life while under a gremlin infestation. Just tonnes of squeakers.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is AutoCard Anywhere not working for anyone else on SA?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Trip report: I had a lot of fun playing Yahenni, but I was salty that my promo was Secret Salvage.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

AceClown posted:

Is AutoCard Anywhere not working for anyone else on SA?

Yeah, I disabled it. It's not showing cards for me.

I ended up going 3-1 (for 3 garbage packs WHY DO I OPEN THEM) with B/G moderate aggro. You can sneak in a lot of damage when you threaten Revolt on cards.

The 1cc 1/1 that pumps for 1B does a lot of work in the early game and can tap for mana later (and is a good sink). The Winding Constrictor is amazing with the 2cc 3G for a counter guy.

The limited format isn't amazing, but as long as I wasn't getting owned by Yahenni's Expertise, I was fine. I should have lost in my last round, but my opponent was using his removal way too early and I managed to sneak through.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Aced my pre-release event 3-0, but my pool was crazy. like, I thought "Okay this should be fun at least" when one of my Kaladesh packs had a Copter in it, and then the first AER pack i open has a Heart of Kiran. Ohhhh baby. I just went full R/B Beatdown, and it was incredible. Red's creatures all seem so good, just, drat. Aether Chaser, Sweatworks Brawler, Scrapper Champion! oh god scrapper champion.

Black had some interesting things, but i mostly played it for foundry screecher and Daring Demolition, and eventually I decided to put in Yahenni's Expertise, and then to tie the two colors together, Weldfast Engineer to make a servo dangerous, or smash copter in for 5, what a good card.

Blue was realllll tempting with Baral's Expertise, Reverse Engineering, Metallic Rebuke and Negate, plus some of the blue artifacts including the dockhand, but i just had the feeling i would durdle too hard with blue and...yeah. White was real light, even with a caught in the brights. Green seemed decent, but I thought Red just had better creatures for what i wanted to do, plus actual removal.

Good artifact pool too, my two busted rear end vehicles, welder automaton (its not like actually a good card but a 2 mana 2/1 seems fine, especially if i just need an artifact for effects or improvise. it did a lot for me during the event) and Treasure Keeper, with like 4 others to fill out the curve.

The most important thing i remembered to have a bunch removal, not GOOD removal like Fatal Push or even Shock, but like, Daring Demolition, and pyrohelix and demolish. Chandra's Revolution is a tad pricey but it DOES usually kill something, and then also the land tap is okay. I DID get someone's Big Dumb Green Mythic Lizard with daring demolition in both games I played against them, got some kills with underhanded designs, and even just my demolish blowing up a Pummler in the last round.

I got beat to piss at Kaladesh Pre-release and i swore never again, always have that removal, and...yeah, being The Fun Police is pretty good feeling,especially when after removing something usually meant I swung big. Prize packs had Tower, Sram's Expertise, and Aethersphere Harvester, my promo was Aid of the Cowl, which seems...fine?

All in all a good day I'd say. Can't wait to go to GP San Jose and play a bunch of AER limited and get absolutely blown out.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Went 3-1, which let me squeak into top 8. Wheels fell off in the first round of top 8 as I got smashed both games, partially due to being stuck on 4 and 3 lands respectively.

Pulled a shiny Planar Bridge from my prize packs. I'm not sure if I should be trying to try to sell it right now or wait.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I opened a Winding Constrictor and the Energy Elephant and made GB counters and ome energy. Constrictor is bananas in the right deck, any of my guys could become threats.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

araeris posted:

Pulled a shiny Planar Bridge from my prize packs. I'm not sure if I should be trying to try to sell it right now or wait.

My gut tells me to sell it, or at the very least I never regretted immediately dumping any chase rares right after a prerelease.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
So just as with Kaladesh pre-release I opened Panharmonicon.

Went 4-0 with BW etb value, not even close.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

C-Euro posted:

My gut tells me to sell it, or at the very least I never regretted immediately dumping any chase rares right after a prerelease.

It's not a great card, I would sell ASAP to get max value on that one.

I'm really jealous of everyone's pre-release stories this time, even the Starmans and others bad beats. We were scheduled to have an icepocalypse here in Mo but it failed to show so far but they postponed everything here in town until next weekend even after one store closed and the other smugly posted on FB that they were still open and welcomed pre release players from "stores that have closed" when there are only two here and we all gd know it. They cancelled their midnight pre release an hour or two later so it was just dickwaving but I thought it was funny. Since I'm now struggling to make this interesting, Caleb Scherer(?) Is a local here and is one of the nicest, most down to earth people that I have ever met and everyone I know says playing wizard poker with him is a blast.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I showed up, waited around for half an hour to get my box (because owner was waiting for WER to do its thing and didn't want to give out anything right away), then dropped and collected my prizes. I had limited time and there was an uneven number of entrants so I figured I'd let everyone skip the annoying byes. We've got a flat payout anyway (whee two packs).

Didn't get anything amazing. Promo was the Heart. Opened a Copter (so now I have 3, yay). In one of my prize packs I got a foil mythic, but it's Indomitable Creativity, which I guess someone might want for EDH?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

I showed up, waited around for half an hour to get my box (because owner was waiting for WER to do its thing and didn't want to give out anything right away), then dropped and collected my prizes. I had limited time and there was an uneven number of entrants so I figured I'd let everyone skip the annoying byes. We've got a flat payout anyway (whee two packs).

Didn't get anything amazing. Promo was the Heart. Opened a Copter (so now I have 3, yay). In one of my prize packs I got a foil mythic, but it's Indomitable Creativity, which I guess someone might want for EDH?

You got a foil of the most expensive card in the set. Basically got your money back in a single card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Whoops, sorry, meant Hope, not Heart.

Hope of Ghirapur.

• Locked thread