Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

That's one solution to a housing crisis

Rent free, move in in exchange for "chores"

All of the people not coming back do not need homes :smugissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Burns posted:

Rail bridges ought to make better targets as i imagine they are far more time consuming to repair.

They're also usually really sturdy. It's why everyone keeps bullying Scholz to hand over some Taurus, a 480 kg (1060 lbs) two-stage warhead that buries itself inside the structure before blowing up is what it takes to destroy a bridge from afar.

Transformers, on the other hand, are susceptible to mere gunfire and are mostly European imports.

Burns
May 10, 2008

What is the US, UK or French equivalent to the Taurus?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Burns posted:

It's similar in range and mass to Storm Shadow/SCALP EG (British-French). That also has a two-stage warhead designed to penetrate structures so I think they're probably similar capabilities.
The US version is the AGM-158 JASSM. It had a shorter range than the others and there's now an extended-range version so who knows. Wikipedia describes it as "armor piercing" so it may also have the preliminary breaching charge thing going on, but I don't actually know.
Both of the above are also low-observable.
All that said, they've used the Storm Shadows they've received to great effect, so it's still a good idea to send them more of similar or same; I suppose the idea is Germany may have Taurus available to send their military wouldn't miss that may no longer be the case for Storm Shadow operators.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Burns posted:

Isn't Stormshadow the UK/French equivalent? My understanding was that the talk at the time was that "next Germany should give the same missiles but with more penetrating power" and then Germany said "nein".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I believe the Taurus are the best/best suited of all the cruise missiles but Scholz is a huge pussy and doesn't want to send them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't Stormshadow the UK/French equivalent? My understanding was that the talk at the time was that "next Germany should give the same missiles but with more penetrating power" and then Germany said "nein".

The UK & France operate the same missile under different names; Storm Shadow (UK) and SCALP-EG (France).

Taurus is essentially the same thing, with similar range/speed etc., but measures taller/wider with a different (and bigger) warhead. Unfortunately, Ukraine has been denied the option to play with the Taurus missile, because Olaf Scholz has the magical ability to consistently turn into a worm and wriggle away whenever the topic is brought up, whilst mumbling something about "German weapons striking Russian territory" like some guilt-tripped fool.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And they all fit on an F-16 along with plenty of other goodies.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
I saw that Taurus has a range of 500km from Google. I don't know much about missiles but would firing from an F-16 boost the range by any significant amounts? Be pretty dramatic to see a big ol missile demolish an oil refinery as opposed to a drone.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29Om64ImEU

lmao such thin skinned people in power.

Love the woman banging on about how western women are flawed and have plastic surgery. Your face is pumped full of filler and/or botox before you decide to pass judgement on ''beauty''.

That woman at the end ain't gonna be around again.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dirt5o8 posted:

I saw that Taurus has a range of 500km from Google. I don't know much about missiles but would firing from an F-16 boost the range by any significant amounts? Be pretty dramatic to see a big ol missile demolish an oil refinery as opposed to a drone.

Sure does. Think throwing a tennis ball off the empire state building compared to doing it on the ground.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Tai posted:

Sure does. Think throwing a tennis ball off the empire state building compared to doing it on the ground.

it's an air-launched cruise missile. the range given will be the average range when launched from the air

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yup

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would think range estimates of an air launched missile would factor in being launched from the air, but for the Taurus specifically it hardly matters since it seems Ukraine will never get those. The big advantage of F-16s seems to be getting access to a much larger selection of the US military's toys.

e;fb

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I think people get confused because some cruise missiles (ie. Tomahawk) have versions that can be launched from ships, submarines etc. there isn't anything special about the F16 that would give the Taurus a longer range than the eurofighters and tornados that it's normally launched from.

Also as far as I know it's never been tested on the f16 so there would be work to do there, albeit less than getting Ukrainian su24s to fire storm shadows using iPads interfacing with scrapyard sourced launch rails from old Tornados

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The F-16 isn't about the added range on cruise missiles but more so that it is a USB drive for NATO missiles.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Iirc Ukraine has harm missiles, but since they're jury rigged onto migs they only have like one of three operation modes, the "here's a set of gps coordinates, go look for a radar in that area" mode. Putting those same missiles on an f16 opens up a self protection mode where the plane's radar is linked to the missile and fires it if an enemy radar locks on, or the target of opportunity mode where the missile's seeker detects a radar while still mounted to the plane and then the pilot fires it off.

Same weapon, but vastly improved performance once the various computers involved can talk to each other

Also Putin is a huge piece of poo poo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Estonia and France toying with the idea of sending troops for non combat roles to Ukraine.

If you imagined that I hadn't made a Clancychat post that even I read back and thought 'yeah that belongs in a book I was right to be probed' depicting thus very event being a possible action towards the hypothetical end stage of the at the time hypothetical war

Woops 😮

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1790594682113675374
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1790525212020076651
xaxaxaxaxa we shot down all weak westoid missiles again, no you can't see them

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Estonia and France toying with the idea of sending troops for non combat roles to Ukraine.

If you imagined that I hadn't made a Clancychat post that even I read back and thought 'yeah that belongs in a book I was right to be probed' depicting thus very event being a possible action towards the hypothetical end stage of the at the time hypothetical war

Woops 😮

You just keep throwing poo poo at the wall and sometimes it sticks. Most of the time it doesn't though!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow putting up those non-stick walls around here was a p dang good idea!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man look at these floors eww

zone
Dec 6, 2016

xaxaxaxa we set decoy fires on our airbase to fool the decadent west

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

zone posted:

Jesus Christ

I know the strategy behind it, but all I can think of is Xibit screaming, "I HEARD YOU LIKE ARMOR..."

anonumos fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 15, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1790378944744546802

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Larry Bond or Harold Coyle?

No divers so that list doesn't include Dirk Pitt, unless Ukraine raises the Moskova.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I know what it says, still unable to read it right.

quote:

Meanwhile in Russia: rear end pundits and lawmakers discussed a proposal to

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Woops 😮

It's impressive how much you whine about nobody taking your dumb fanfiction serious.

You could also post the actual news articles. It's not like it is your typical "I found this on instagram" stuff.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nato-member-estonia-seriously-discussing-troops-ukraine-report-2024-5

https://www.businessinsider.com/nato-emmanual-macron-france-join-ukraine-war-on-russia-conditions-2024-5

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Is this the type of fresh new perspective we can expect from a multi-polar world? Any tankies want to weigh in on this?

Philonius fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 15, 2024

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Philonius posted:

Is this the type of fresh new perspective we can expect from a muli-polar world? Any tankies want to weigh in on this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=191791
lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Opening private tab, carefully keying in 'was trotsky gay'

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Philonius posted:

Is this the type of fresh new perspective we can expect from a muli-polar world? Any tankies want to weigh in on this?

This is bad, but let me explain you that what США did in Iraq was much worse because...

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

This is bad, but let me explain you that what США did in Iraq was much worse because...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know I'm starting to realize I've actually held a fair bit of russophobia myself I think. I used to think that Russia is a dangerous high stakes player in the global power game, a force to reckon with if you will, but I'm more and more coming to realize those fears were irrational and mostly unfounded, as in reality Russia is more of a dangerous low stakes player in the global power game, and a force to mostly disregard. Sort of like the Sicilian Mafia. Very inconvenient in Sicily, but mostly irrelevant elsewhere.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Youthful idealism gave way to middle aged frustration, gave way to old age relief when this current batch of fucktards decided to drag their truely frightening pile of military hardware into a field and let NATO set it all on fire.
A bit harsh on the Ukrainians admittedly, but every time I see a levelled T72, I feel better for knowing it'll never fire another shot in anger and is unlikely to be replaced.
Every one of those things represents a school or a health clinic or a sewerage system or almost anything remotely useful that isnt a loving tank.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Why are they like this? You'd think Comical Ali resigning would reduce the amount of lies they spew

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

edit: footage from CCTV

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1790707906003800424

zone
Dec 6, 2016

"we are both liars" loving lmao how pathetic can this guy be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

sex arse embargo gonna hit Russia hard