Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
<---

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

This remains one of the best threads on these boards, amazing given that it's for a dopey series that will never be finished.

Are there any other fantasy series worth checking out these days? I heard some good things about Bakker, but reviews on Goodreads for fantasy are restricted to people who got all the way through. The people who hated the book don't bother.

Robin Hobb's old stuff (the Assassin, Tawny Man, Liveship Traders, and Soldier's Son trilogies) are really good and pretty weird. I haven't read her newer stuff (there's two more trilogies in the Assassin/Tawny Man/Liveship world)

Michael Swanwick's Stations of the Tide and The Iron Dragon's Daughter are insanely good, especially the former, which blends Sci fi, Crowley sex magic, and transhumanism. His other books are great too but start with those

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Alert nerd.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

precision posted:

Robin Hobb's old stuff (the Assassin, Tawny Man, Liveship Traders, and Soldier's Son trilogies) are really good and pretty weird. I haven't read her newer stuff (there's two more trilogies in the Assassin/Tawny Man/Liveship world)

Michael Swanwick's Stations of the Tide and The Iron Dragon's Daughter are insanely good, especially the former, which blends Sci fi, Crowley sex magic, and transhumanism. His other books are great too but start with those

Warning that the first ~100 pages of the Liveship Traders Trilogy is a competition between most of the characters to see who can be the biggest and/or stupidest rear end in a top hat. I mean, it's pretty clear early on that Kyle, who is garbage from the start is the winner of that competition, but the early chapters of that trilogy is real bad.

The later series based on the Rain Wilds is better in some ways but Hobb is real bad about recycling character types, including someone whose personality is pretty similar to the aforementioned king rear end in a top hat.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"heheh, Martin is full of poo poo. We're so above his crap now. Now let me recommend you Robin Hobb and Michael Swanwick!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

poo poo. We're so crap now. let me cob and wank!"

Post your map.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Warning that the first ~100 pages of the Liveship Traders Trilogy is a competition between most of the characters to see who can be the biggest and/or stupidest rear end in a top hat. I mean, it's pretty clear early on that Kyle, who is garbage from the start is the winner of that competition, but the early chapters of that trilogy is real bad.

The later series based on the Rain Wilds is better in some ways but Hobb is real bad about recycling character types, including someone whose personality is pretty similar to the aforementioned king rear end in a top hat.

Also let me point out that this epic fantasy trilogy has a character named Kyle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What kind of a hack names people, anyway? :rolleyes:

Burn all the libraries.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'd far rather characters have names which are comprehensible than a mess of bullshit. It is a strength of GRRM that the names in GoT are largely stuff like Jon, Robert, Jaime, Kevan, even Stannis. A little different, sometimes, but close enough that you know what they are. They ground the work and make it that bit more relateable.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd far rather characters have names which are comprehensible than a mess of bullshit. It is a strength of GRRM that the names in GoT are largely stuff like Jon, Robert, Jaime, Kevan, even Stannis. A little different, sometimes, but close enough that you know what they are. They ground the work and make it that bit more relateable.

The problem is names lack in character, especially when they're supposed to belong to larger-than-life characters.

"Cersei" is pretty good because it tells you that the character is a dangerous, powerful woman like Circe, and it also suggests Caesar with its connotations of ambition and hubris. Jaime on the other hand (har har) suggests only celebrity chefs.

Flay, Swelter, Steerpike, Sepulchrave, Fuchsia, Prunesquallor, Rottcodd, Nanny Slagg, there's some names with character to them.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

What kind of a hack names people, anyway? :rolleyes:

Burn all the libraries.

Nice meltdown.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, sure, if you're reading Malazan with its billion characters who need a name which tells you who they are because you have no chance to remember without it.

Different styles for different purposes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, sure, if you're reading Malazan with its billion characters who need a name which tells you who they are because you have no chance to remember without it.

Different styles for different purposes.

Yeah, that never happens with ASOIAF, the series with House Beesbury of Honeyholt

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Zorro Zorro Ducksauce

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
house words: beware our penis

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, that never happens with ASOIAF, the series with House Beesbury of Honeyholt

Yeah, and we've never mocked those extremely on-the-nose names in this thread, no sirree.

It's fine for main characters to have normal names. It's fine for background characters to have dumb names which only serve to indicate the broadest trait they may have, like Ser Obsequious the rear end-Kisser. These can co-exist within the same work, no problem.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

It's fine for main characters to have normal names.

I already pointed out why it's not.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RIP Nimble Dick Crabb

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Flay, Swelter, Steerpike, Sepulchrave, Fuchsia, Prunesquallor, Rottcodd, Nanny Slagg, there's some names with character to them.

The Ghormenghast characters are larger than life and grotesque in many ways. Their names completely fit the drawings Peake did of them. His style of naming doesn’t work for stories with a different tone.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The problem is names lack in character, especially when they're supposed to belong to larger-than-life characters.

"Cersei" is pretty good because it tells you that the character is a dangerous, powerful woman like Circe, and it also suggests Caesar with its connotations of ambition and hubris. Jaime on the other hand (har har) suggests only celebrity chefs.

Counterpoint:

Yezzan the Yellow Whale

Nimble Dick Crabb

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"heheh, Martin is full of poo poo. We're so above his crap now. Now let me recommend you Robin Hobb and Michael Swanwick!"

You are the literal worst, aren't you? I never said or implied that, but yes, I do think Swanwick is far and away a better writer than GRRM. Robin Hobb is arguable but Swanwick's a big step up imo

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
i may be outing myself as a racist for saying this, but i have a helluva time keeping the chinese characters names straight. thank god they all have a dramatis personae.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

The Ghormenghast characters are larger than life and grotesque in many ways. Their names completely fit the drawings Peake did of them. His style of naming doesn’t work for stories with a different tone.

Martin's characters include warrior aristocrats with giant wolf pets, evil people with glowing golden hair and emerald eyes, a giant fat king who sits on a throne of swords, and a fat merman who eats people, among others.

precision posted:

You are the literal worst, aren't you? I never said or implied that, but yes, I do think Swanwick is far and away a better writer than GRRM. Robin Hobb is arguable but Swanwick's a big step up imo

Please give examples of his prose to prove this.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ordinary, realistic character

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
why do you post

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
[trying to think of an ordinary realistic character from any book ever] ahhh.........the drug addict from infinite jest

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Please give examples of his prose to prove this.

No.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
raunce and company from loving

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Martin's characters include warrior aristocrats with giant wolf pets, evil people with glowing golden hair and emerald eyes, a giant fat king who sits on a throne of swords, and a fat merman who eats people, among others.

I didn't say realistic, I said a different tone.

Peake's world is really bizarre and a far different animal than ASoIaF. Like you've got a medieval castle existing in the same world as a futuristic city in the same world as a corporate hellscape. But all are separate and don't interact or seem to know the others exist. It's more of an allegorical setting and a way to examine different types of societies rather than trying to build a connected world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
ASOIAF's world isn't connected. It has "realistic" medieval milieus and zombie apocalypse.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I already pointed out why it's not.

You pointed out that you want to read the Chronicles of Drizzt, yes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

You pointed out that you want to read the Chronicles of Drizzt, yes.

Daaaaayum

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Drizz'l, eh? What's he gonna do, cloud up and rain over you?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Marijuana posted:

why do you post

Because even after all this time people are still retarded enough to respond to him consistently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He's been thrown out of like, two or three subforums already so I guess it's only a matter of time until the Book Barn exiles him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

He's been thrown out of like, two or three subforums already so I guess it's only a matter of time until the Book Barn exiles him.

Let’s Play, RGD, BSS, and certain threads in CineD, for the record :eng101: And those are just the publicly known ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like there's some kind of sad or fascinating story behind their pathological need to be the literal worst poster

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

I feel like there's some kind of sad or fascinating story behind their pathological need to be the literal worst poster

He’d make a good miniboss arc in Undertale... but he was run out of the Undertale thread for being a miserable goob too, so welp

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People have strong feelings about fictional names, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

He’d make a good miniboss arc in Undertale... but he was run out of the Undertale thread for being a miserable goob too, so welp

Did he say that your favourite elfbooks are bad or why are you so angry?