Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Polyakov posted:

To be honest it's not worth CV hunting in dds, if they are half competent they will kite you away at pretty much your speed and kill you with planes or light you up for their team to do the same. They are too tough for your puny HE to do much except light fires on occasion and your ap will be ineffective at almost any range, if you are super unlucky it's a secondary specced GZ or something dumb and he will now you away himself. You want to turn away and hunt literally anything else or hope your BB are on the ball and hit them with a sufficient shell caliber.

Tier 8 is as far as I got, so maybe it gets different at 10 or somewhere, but how often does it happen that battleships are in position to shoot at carriers in situation other than "game is basically over"? Because if fastest class can barely close distance to carrier it might as well be off-map airfield. I mean unless carrier player is idiot like me because the same day I positioned way too forward in tier 4, tunnel-visioned and didn't notice rest of the team split to left and right and left the center completely open so I got killed :downs: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

James Garfield posted:

but if you want an actual response you could post something arguing why CVs aren't broken instead of the same worthless tone argument as every single CV apologist post over the past five paages

No I'm quite serious, have you considered just talking to people on a messageboard thread about boats in a videogame without digging up their stats as proof that you are correct and they are not? The conclusion of that discussion can be "Ah, I guess we disagree on this issue."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No I'm quite serious, have you considered just talking to people on a messageboard thread about boats in a videogame without digging up their stats as proof that you are correct and they are not? The conclusion of that discussion can be "Ah, I guess we disagree on this issue."

I think it's reasonable to assume that skill at the game does to some extent proxy well for understanding of the game's mechanics. Not all opinions are equally valid.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

commando in tophat posted:

Tier 8 is as far as I got, so maybe it gets different at 10 or somewhere, but how often does it happen that battleships are in position to shoot at carriers in situation other than "game is basically over"? Because if fastest class can barely close distance to carrier it might as well be off-map airfield. I mean unless carrier player is idiot like me because the same day I positioned way too forward in tier 4, tunnel-visioned and didn't notice rest of the team split to left and right and left the center completely open so I got killed :downs: .

Infrequently, at t10 BB range will get long enough that it can happen more than at t8 but you shouldn't expect it unless an enemy flank is collapsing and your chonky botes are following up close behind and the enemy CV is a bit of a shitter. Unless you can get close and torp trying to damage them is likely a death sentence, and if you are going to try that bear in mind that it's very very high risk and carriers are manueverable and fast enough that they can and probably will dodge if you get spotted, it's best to just pretend the CV isn't there and go cap or hang out near your team.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

commando in tophat posted:

It doesn't really. The carrier shouldn't be in A1 since moving forward will let it cycle planes faster, but most maps have designated CV rocks to park behind that make it impossible for enemies to shoot you without going behind your spawn. They also have pretty good concealment (for some reason the CV rework buffed their concealment, Midway now with a 10% buff from the commander skill has the same concealment as old Midway with a 10% buff from the module and a 16% buff from the pre nerf commander skill) and no firing penalty, so they aren't consistently spotted even if they push up. Tier 10 CVs are also very hard to kill if they don't broadside, Midway and Hakuryu have the best armor scheme in the game.

It's why CVs are usually the last ship to die. Even if the CV does go to A1, it loses some damage because the planes take longer to turn around but it still does credible damage. Certainly much more than a ship in A1 all game.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

have you considered just talking to people on a messageboard thread about boats in a videogame without whining about how stats exist and that's illegal as proof that you are correct and they are not?

nope

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Hey boat game thread. After receiving a number of reports for this thread - please knock it off. I am sure you can disagree about which boats are better without getting weird and lovely about it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
One time, I had an Asashio on my team, and he was really bad at the game

the end, that's the story, thanks for listening

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
One time I held down left mouse button in an Atlanta and a BBaby who was very far away burned for a very long time and then died.

That is all. It was a happy moment.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Asashios are seldom a good thing to see on your own team unless they’re one of the 20% of asashios that realize they have guns.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Cursed matchmaking:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Godamn that sure must've been a game.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I would bomb myself to death.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Cursed matchmaking:

full throttle forward, it's not like the bots are gonna complain about you dying

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Cursed matchmaking:

To be a Baltimore in that game. Citadels for days.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

To be a Baltimore in that game. Citadels for days.

I had two games on the other side of that kind of matchmaking, both times I had 5 kills (one in the Oland, the other in a Shokaku). It's stupid, really. Tier 5/6 teams are almost hopeless unless the tier 8 team goes full retard.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
T8 is such a harsh power spike compared to previous tiers, and the asymmetric battles just highlights it perfectly.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Blindeye posted:

Tier 5/6 teams are almost hopeless unless the tier 8 team goes full retard.

It's me, I'm the tier 8. Mostly because I went "tier 5? lol" and kamikazed into the centre, but that sweet damage potential pushed my teamwork score up :v: I have no doubt that any T8 BB could smack everything on its own with a good captain. I should re-purchase the Edinburgh as it was my favourite ship.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I tried the mode as T6 twice and both times it was a stomp for T8 so I've given up on it - I do need to still complete the anniversary bonus as a few T8 ships (including CVs...) so I might take a look at that. But I think the idea has merit and they should take their time and balance it. eg 1 less T8 ship, or maybe 1 more T6 ship instead.

Taking the idea to the extreme, I wonder how many T5 Cruisers or BBs it would require to beat 2 Kremlins? I say 2 just so that cheesing via capping/hiding or blindfire from behind islands is less likely.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I've tried asymmetric twice, both times in t6. First enemies were :bots: and second, enemy team were actual players in battleships and 1 carrier. We won that as well and with just 4 ships lost (one of them was me when only carrier was alive and I've eaten torpedo to the face from planes coming head on :downs:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We've all seen Yoshinos and 20km Shimakazes torpedoing their own teammates, but yesterday a Nürnberg managed to kill a friendly DD with his 6km torpedoes, firing them at enemies who weren't even CLOSE to his torpedo range.

Then the dude spent the rest of the game trying to argue it was the destroyer's fault for "suddenly making a needless turn" while half a dozen other people kept telling him he was full of poo poo.

Somehow the people who play this game never cease to amaze.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have had mostly real people asymmetric games.

There should only be CVs in asymmetric at low tier tho imo.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

We've all seen Yoshinos and 20km Shimakazes torpedoing their own teammates, but yesterday a Nürnberg managed to kill a friendly DD with his 6km torpedoes, firing them at enemies who weren't even CLOSE to his torpedo range.

Then the dude spent the rest of the game trying to argue it was the destroyer's fault for "suddenly making a needless turn" while half a dozen other people kept telling him he was full of poo poo.

Somehow the people who play this game never cease to amaze.

Massively and obviously out of range torpedos are my second favourite bizarre n00b behaviour. But top is ships (mostly Bismarck's I'm afraid I need to say) hitting Hydro as soon as the game starts and before they've reached full speed let alone be in a position where torps could hit them, or even that torps could have been launched at all. I wish I could say I have only seen this a few times.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

WG code, worked for me in NA

T1METOCELEBRATE

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

One time, I had an Asashio on my team, and he was really bad at the game

the end, that's the story, thanks for listening

Once i had a game where we killed everything except an Amagi who was down yo half health. We still had our carrier. I was like np we can still win this. I noticed cv drop and miss every strike. Press Tab and look at cv name. WARBEASTY. My heart died.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kaesarsosei posted:

Massively and obviously out of range torpedos are my second favourite bizarre n00b behaviour. But top is ships (mostly Bismarck's I'm afraid I need to say) hitting Hydro as soon as the game starts and before they've reached full speed let alone be in a position where torps could hit them, or even that torps could have been launched at all. I wish I could say I have only seen this a few times.

Radar when they're not in range of the cap the DD is on is my fav.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

serious gaylord posted:

Radar when they're not in range of the cap the DD is on is my fav.

The smoke cloud at spawn is one of my favorites.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Apparently they're doing battleship/carrier hybrids :getin:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This will no doubt lead us directly to piloted torpedoes and rocket kamikaze planes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

like half of the accidental triggering of consumables on spawn is people trying to type in chat

which is funny but it's not the same level as "let me use my 9km cleveland radar to try to find a dd 10kms away" which i did yesterday

General Battuta posted:

I'm pro flight deck cruisers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Press T for stats.

Last time I saw that, a DD from both teams fell for it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CitizenKain posted:

That one is a keyboard fail when they're trying to hit speed boost and I have been guilty of that a fair few times.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I think I said a few pages ago that the CV rework definitely opens the door to this. A cruiser with only 1-2 squads, slow regen so that running out of planes is almost guaranteed, and can then play as a cruiser while waiting for planes to regen. Might be tough to balance but does sound a lot of fun.

Edit: Just had the most ridiculous Asymetric battle.

Tier 8 Team:
2 CVs
4 Massachussets

Tier 6 Team:
1 CV
Whatever else

A total curbstomp. They need to balance this better, and soon, or it will die a death.

2nd Edit
And in my very next match, Tier 8 team gets a Saipan (me) and the other team no CV.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 10, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Press T for stats.

Last time I saw that, a DD from both teams fell for it.

Someone pulled that off in a game I had tonight, and a bunch of consumables fired off immediately.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kaesarsosei posted:

I think I said a few pages ago that the CV rework definitely opens the door to this. A cruiser with only 1-2 squads, slow regen so that running out of planes is almost guaranteed, and can then play as a cruiser while waiting for planes to regen. Might be tough to balance but does sound a lot of fun.

Manually controlled anti air fighters. First person POV when you do an attack run. You have some control of the movement and shooting.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Stanley Pain posted:

Manually controlled anti air fighters. First person POV when you do an attack run. You have some control of the movement and shooting.

How about when you launch a fighter consumable you designate a squadron and they intercept and shoot it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

How about when you launch a fighter consumable you designate a squadron and they intercept and shoot it

This is impossible, fighter consumables are for circling in bewilderment for a few seconds then crashing into the sea without a single kill.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fighters are a vague deterrent at their very best

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

You're all wrong fighters are spotting beacons to spot DDs with (or sometimes plop behind a group of cruisers outside of their AA range to keep them lit)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oh you guys are talking about carrier fighters, I was thinking of the hopeless catapult fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

Oh you guys are talking about carrier fighters, I was thinking of the hopeless catapult fighters.

The catapult fighter kind of works if you use it long enough in advance of the planes coming. It doesn't do everything but it kills one click worth of planes which is more than you can say for full AA spec, and since it kills one click worth of planes it actually saves you some health. Obviously if the CV has a brain it will go bomb someone else who doesn't have a fighter plane, but getting the CV to bomb someone else instead of you is also more than you can say for full AA spec.