Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
But seriously do they ever acknowledge or mention what happened to the guardians? 100 hours in and I've only done two dungeons so maybe I'm still missing some tasty lore

My guess is Zelda going back in time changed the timeline? Here I'm willing to take it at face value because ToTK is a literal direct sequel to BotW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

I love when Nintendo pwns annoying fans.

same

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

KingSlime posted:

But seriously do they ever acknowledge or mention what happened to the guardians? 100 hours in and I've only done two dungeons so maybe I'm still missing some tasty lore

I assumed Purah scrapped them to make the towers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean the more speculative stuff like the idea that Nintendo regrets publishing Hyrule Historia or that continuity was a huge millstone around the franchise until BOTW destroyed it or whatever. Obviously the timeline has never actually been a limiting thing, which makes the narrative that it was kinda strange.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 16, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nintendo is a corporation it is impossible for it to feel regret so yah I agree that's just silly. Timeline chat can be fun but ultimately it's just that, fandom trying to connect dots to a 30-year franchise that has been worked on by tons of different folks over the years and Nintendo marketing decided to have a little bit of fun with it imo

48 Hour Boner posted:

I assumed Purah scrapped them to make the towers.

Ohhh I really like this interpretation

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The thing is, for their really big money-maker franchises, it feels like Nintendo's had a mandate for a long time among their dev teams to intentionally keep story light and simple, maybe with extra details if you go out of your way or squint really hard at what the text presents, so the Zelda timeline has always kind of had an element of grasping at whatever crumbs are offered.

It's their secondary or more experimental franchises and second-party devs that they let go wild with lore and story elements (HAL, Intsys, Monolith Soft, etc).

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 16, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Same, including myself

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spoiler alert it’s all fuckin made up and none of it is real

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

History Comes Inside! posted:

The same could be said of every human sentiment!!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Please pwn me Nintendo, make me feel alive again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Haven’t read a single post in the last month, but this.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have a wife, and she's beautiful

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oscar Wild posted:

I have a wife, and she's beautiful

Which amiibo?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Meowywitch posted:

Which amiibo?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hatty posted:

Please pwn me Nintendo, make me feel alive again

Just buy a pokemon game.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s the best Switch game that uses the gyro in the joycons like two guns? Surely there’s a few games like that.

I think the House of the Dead remake has Woo-style. I don't know any other shooters that might.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

It's like my least favourite thing about the game lol

it owns actually

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I think the House of the Dead remake has Woo-style. I don't know any other shooters that might.

Hmm…that’s $8.50 right now. Is that a fair price?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

KingSlime posted:

My guess is Zelda going back in time changed the timeline? Here I'm willing to take it at face value because ToTK is a literal direct sequel to BotW

They still existed, there's one on top of the Hateno research lab. The assumption is that lot of that got cleaned up during the indeterminate amount of time between BOTW and TOTK. The closest approximation of time can be Tarrry Town Hudson gets married in BOTW and they have a child old enough to go on Gerudo pilgrimage, but we still don't know how much time passes between BOTW to the opening of TOTK, and then how much passes after the opening of TOTK to Link waking back up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Speaking of the Purah lab in Hateno, am I just missing something or is the clue the journal that tells me where to go next? Because Robbie seems to think I haven't finished the quest yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mdemone posted:

Speaking of the Purah lab in Hateno, am I just missing something or is the clue the journal that tells me where to go next? Because Robbie seems to think I haven't finished the quest yet.

I don't think Purah's journals are tied to Robbie's thing? Or did I miss a quest.

Robbie gives you a quest to go to a lab in the northeast, near Tarry town, where there is also a Purah journal. but that's for unlocking a Purah pad feature.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah it's the lab with the big monster draped all over it and I can't get in except in the attic where the journal is. A note on the door says for me to come find Robbie at LL but that's where I just came from on this quest

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

mdemone posted:

Separate things. The diaries are some lore and they're scattered about Sheikah places. Robbie won't go to his lab until you complete a series of quests, one of which is locked behind completing at least one regional quest

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hmm…that’s $8.50 right now. Is that a fair price?

Reviews say it has some load times and isn't perfect. The sale price seems decent enough for a rail-shooter; not too many to choose from on Switch.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Cheap shmups here folks, get Mushi if you want to dip your toe into bullet hell. These are all stone classics

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1669737955534188544?t=Vqz2OTLAiF9nHISeCXUpJw&s=19

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Do people really think the underground is boring? Visuals wise sure I could see that but there's plenty of notable and unique activities down here

*Flies away in hot air balloon only to crash into some lovely root gently caress god drat it why is this valley so deep*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Okay, played this. The extra chapter is essentially an extended ending cutscene, so don't expect too much. But it's nice, it contains all the story moments you want. Fluffy Serenoa X Frederica stuff. Quahaug finding his mom. Cordelia Avlora stuff. Lionel getting owned by Anna!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
A little OT, but for those who emulate the Switch, what kind of hardware is recommended? I'm in the position of needing to buy a new PC next month, would be a nice thing to be able to experiment with in the future.

Also, any recommendations for good, cheap, singleplayer "long flight" games (eg doesn't require internet, no motion controls)? Should have a charger in the seat, at least.

Unplayed games I currently have:
Dicey Dungeons
Windbound (kinda bounced off it)
Mario vs Rabbids
Moonlighter
This War of Mine
Stardew Valley (kind bounced off it, more willing to give another try than Windbound)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Paper Mario
Link's Awakening

Other games I already have/have played a lot of
BoTW, TOTK
Hades
Mariokart
Mario Odyssey

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Ethics_Gradient posted:

A little OT, but for those who emulate the Switch, what kind of hardware is recommended? I'm in the position of needing to buy a new PC next month, would be a nice thing to be able to experiment with in the future.

Also, any recommendations for good, cheap, singleplayer "long flight" games (eg doesn't require internet, no motion controls)? Should have a charger in the seat, at least.

Dicey Dungeons
Mario vs Rabbids
Moonlighter
This War of Mine
Stardew Valley (kind bounced off it, more willing to give another try than Windbound)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Paper Mario
Link's Awakening

BoTW, TOTK
Hades
Mariokart
Mario Odyssey

You mentioned Dicey Dungeons but absolutely get Slay the Spire. It is immensely good for flight expedition

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Slay the Spire is the ultimate “on a plane/train” game for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Monster Train is also worth considering IMO, it's on that same tier of StS/DD in terms of addicting roguelikes to me.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Mega64 posted:

Monster Train is also worth considering IMO, it's on that same tier of StS/DD in terms of addicting roguelikes to me.

Also currently on sale

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also get Dawncaster for your phone for when you're charging your switch. Plays in portrait mode which is fantastic for that kind of game. Same kind of game as Slay the Spire and Monster Train.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Dicey Dungeons
Mario vs Rabbids
Moonlighter
This War of Mine
Luigi's Mansion 3
Paper Mario
Link's Awakening

BoTW, TOTK
Hades
Mariokart
Mario Odyssey
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate. It has online leaderboards and an asynchronous rescue system but it's totally optional and not something that comes up early on. Currently on sale in the US shop

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 18, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man the gerudo dungeon sucks despite the build up to it which I liked. Overall the dungeons feel like annoying linear chores whereas the rest of the game is all about small tiny tasks that you can hop around at will. That's what makes ToTK such a cool and chill game imo.

As for these legacy type dungeons zzzz I just want to get back to exploring and hiking. Last one I have left after this is the fire temple and I've never enjoyed death mountain or fire temple poo poo in Zelda games so I'm already dreading it. Boring biome boring lava/heat themed threats and the Gorons are not my pals

E: these dust and light beam puzzles are boring I'm gonna play etrian odyssey today instead

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 18, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

A 1060 or anything more powerful. You can even do it with the M1/2 MacBook Airs

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Jk y'all I left the gerudo dungeon to go explore uncharted sections in the depths and I'm having fun again

Yay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked the gerudo dungeon but "minecart hyjinx" is one of my favorite level design cliches

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked all the dungeons besides the water one, it just felt like a normal sky island to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They were all decent but not really as much of a step up from the Divine beasts as I felt we were promised. The part at the start of the gerudo one where for some reason you briefly go through some "classic" Zelda dungeon rooms was a massive tease, as was one of the tutorial shrines dropping small keys