Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

We could all probably benefit. Also, getting drunk in Trondheim is more about who you know than what you can pay. I'm looking out over the city right now, in fact.

I'm slowly finishing off the last drops of some very nice rye Whiskey from «Kentucky» if such a place indeed exists. I've always scoffed at american brown liquor, but it turns out I've been very mistaken.

E: Out of curiosity, why were you in Trondheim? Was it voluntary?
Tourism and visiting people I knew at points north.
Compared to Bodo (where one of my friends lived) Trondhiem was very nice. Getting drunk was expensive despite the fact that every 4th local wanted to buy the american a beer.

Edit: bodo did have a sweet airplane museum though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Tourism and visiting people I knew at points north.
Compared to Bodo (where one of my friends lived) Trondhiem was very nice. Getting drunk was expensive despite the fact that every 4th local wanted to buy the american a beer.

Edit: bodo did have a sweet airplane museum though.

It does, it was opened in 1994 by King Harald. The only other thing to do there is fish.

Don't be afraid of giving a yell if you ever find yourself on an arctic tour again. I'd be happy to introduce you to the local stuff, which is a lot cheaper. Lot less tax.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

nm posted:

Dude should go into weed law.

If he hates everything about practicing law, he'll probably hate weed law too. It'll probably be even worse, interacting with clients who are presumably doing the very thing he wishes he could do. Maybe he should consider applying for dispensary or cultivation jobs, then supplementing that with a second job.

Though I will say that, as someone who is financially dependent on it, weed law is pretty great and only rarely brings out the rage. :350:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I imagine the benefit of doing weed law is you can require all your clients to pay cash up front.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Unamuno posted:

If he hates everything about practicing law, he'll probably hate weed law too. It'll probably be even worse, interacting with clients who are presumably doing the very thing he wishes he could do. Maybe he should consider applying for dispensary or cultivation jobs, then supplementing that with a second job.

Though I will say that, as someone who is financially dependent on it, weed law is pretty great and only rarely brings out the rage. :350:

Or better yet, just do the thing he wants to be doing and ignore that he has a law degree he wants nothing to do with. If the cause of his problem is not being able to say no to his mom, the solution isn't to try to please his mom.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nm posted:

Dude should go into weed law.

As best as I can tell, "weed law" is an exciting mix of business law (contracts, intellectual property, business formation, code compliance, etc.) with the possibility joining your clients in prison or having the feds seize your retainer if you're too involved.

Or to put it another way, you don't have to work for a ranch to enjoy a hamburger.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 17, 2017

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

If you're truly serious about weed law, you should know that all of the big players refer to it as Cannabis Law.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm a sativa lawyer.

Well I'm an indica lawyer :smugdog:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I practice cheeseburger law.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I practice Facebook law

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

I practice cheeseburger law.

Shut up randy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Apparently now I practice GBS law, too. I've been retained in the /r/relationships thread by the Government to try and prove that Universities aren't District Attorneys, and that a Title IX investigation is not the same process as a criminal investigation.

OC keeps telling the jury, "But so many sexual assaults go unreported, therefore you are wrong."

I think my client is going to get convicted.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Apparently now I practice GBS law, too. I've been retained in the /r/relationships thread by the Government to try and prove that Universities aren't District Attorneys, and that a Title IX investigation is not the same process as a criminal investigation.

OC keeps telling the jury, "But so many sexual assaults go unreported, therefore you are wrong."

What is the general argument? Link?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Why. Why do this to yourself. Gibbis is the retarded shithole good opinions and factual statements go to die in.

It's not about that. You're trying to explain criminal justice to a toddler who is busy eating poop. It's going to be a frustrating and lovely time for everyone involved.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

What is the general argument? Link?

As far as I can tell they were saying that the reason there were so many unreported sexual assaults on campuses was because if you reported it to campus police, then the school administration would tell PD not to investigate.

blarzgh posted:

Schools in America don't have some magic criminal jurisdiction. If someone commits a crime against you, and you tell both the school, and the police, the police are going to investigate no matter what the school thinks it wants to do.

So they started telling me that Campus PD was really just an arm of the School, so I did a little effort-posting, and then it all went to poo poo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What is that old saying about arguing on the internet?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Look, my last potential trial of 2017 settled on Thursday and I ain't got poo poo to do this week so I'm creating meaningless conflict to fill the void in my black heart.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just do it?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

As far as I can tell they were saying that the reason there were so many unreported sexual assaults on campuses was because if you reported it to campus police, then the school administration would tell PD not to investigate.

So they started telling me that Campus PD was really just an arm of the School, so I did a little effort-posting, and then it all went to poo poo.

Speaking generally, I wish people would start going directly to the police instead of the school, though I understand the argument for why reporting to the school should be an option.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think you can and people do do both, it's not a choice.

I saw that movie about Title 9 at a women's law student organization meeting so I feel I can speak authoritatively on this subject.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Look, my last potential trial of 2017 settled on Thursday and I ain't got poo poo to do this week so I'm creating meaningless conflict to fill the void in my black heart.

Same actually.

I left my drivers license in the Denton County Courthouse, probate court witness prep room. Be a dear and fetch it for me.

Or Roger or Scrapps?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

that theres no better training for being a litigator than arguing with people who will never change their position and will come up with any argument to support their pre-existing conclusion?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

that theres no better training for being a litigator than arguing with people who will never change their position and will come up with any argument to support their pre-existing conclusion?

It just lacks one key point: litigators know better than to do it for free.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Same actually.

I left my drivers license in the Denton County Courthouse, probate court witness prep room. Be a dear and fetch it for me.

Or Roger or Scrapps?

The AJ there is a dick.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Same actually.

Or Roger or Scrapps?

I have to head there Thursday morning. I can mail it to you?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I have to head there Thursday morning. I can mail it to you?

Sure. I mean I don't know if I lost it there for sure, but it's likely. If you look in the witness room and find it let me know!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
for fellow readers of patentlyo, i wrote a simple userscript to hide all MM posts (and any replies to his posts), use with greasemonkey, tampermonker etc: bit.ly/2xO208q

it's gotten really bad lately with him spamming non stop until he's like more than half the comments

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

For fellow readers of Patently O just don’t read the comments, there’s never anything good there anyway.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
love too respond to 101 rejections

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Kalman posted:

For fellow readers of Patently O just don’t read the comments, there’s never anything good there anyway.

tried that, eventually I get tempted when I see 100 comments or whatever then blam, eye cancer

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
non-attorney examiners have no hope of responding to 101 arguments imho

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

non-attorney examiners have no hope of responding to 101 arguments imho

lol if you think examiners even read attorney arguments for 101

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Zo posted:

I'm my company's main software patent attorney. We do a share of work in house and I refuse to even look at OA's with substantive 101 rejections.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Zo posted:

Isn't WJ an examiner?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Isn't WJ an examiner?

yes, but he's an attorney, so he probably can't shut up about 101

normal examiners in my experience are only ever receptive to arguments based on the uspto 101 guidance documents

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So I got kinda disturbed by the idea of voluntary dismissal without prejudice of a civil suit from the legal questions thread, and looked around a little. Seems federal rules on this are pretty sensible, are those not used as a model by pretty much every sensible state? If not, why not?

We have a similar rule, limited to cases of consent, lack of answer and defendant motions for dismissal, but beyond that...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

So I got kinda disturbed by the idea of voluntary dismissal without prejudice of a civil suit from the legal questions thread, and looked around a little. Seems federal rules on this are pretty sensible, are those not used as a model by pretty much every sensible state? If not, why not?

We have a similar rule, limited to cases of consent, lack of answer and defendant motions for dismissal, but beyond that...

According to quick and dirty research, about 35 states have fully adopted the Federal Rules, while others have taken parts they like and kept their own. Then there are a handful of states (Illinois, New York (I think?)) who still use an older fact-pleading system, I'd imagine those are the least likely to resemble the Fed Rules.

Why they do/don't change probably is due to many things. Inertia is probably the biggest, hard to get a lot of enthusiasm for changing a system that every lawyer (especially old stubborn ones) are used to. Also, depending on how drastically different a state's system is, changing to reflect the Federal Rules might completely negate decades of state appellate decisions and bring on years of appeals where the high court has to decide if the rule will be interpreted per the federal rules or in some unique local way.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

yes, but he's an attorney, so he probably can't shut up about 101

normal examiners in my experience are only ever receptive to arguments based on the uspto 101 guidance documents

responding to 101 arguments makes me tumescent

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Voluntary dismissals without prejudice are super common in Illinois, I didn't even realize that was an issue. I've had a bunch of contested hearing about voluntary dismissals though, that's always fun.

Also my friend is all worked up about some sort of Indian reservation patent transfer workaround to avoid "inter party review due to sovereign immunity". is this a big deal and should I be interested in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In Texas, a voluntary dismissal without prejudice can be accomplished at any time prior to closing your evidence at trial by merely moving for a "nonsuit" in writing or in open court.