Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

qhat posted:

Rental properties aren’t tax free, but yes woe is the landlord who has no choice but to start spending the loving millions they earned without any work whatsoever.

I bet most of them are leveraged to the tits and won't actually realize much in the way of gains. Or at least I hope that's the case, because it'd be really loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Really loving funny and we might be able to buy a house that's only mildly overpriced instead of stupidly so.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Top of /PersonalFinanceCanada today:

quote:

Borrowed from HELOC to invest and interest only payments have doubled. Not sleeping well at night. Advice needed.

TLDR: Took out $300,000, current value is $265k and interest payments have doubled to $1500. :stare:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m still hearing ads on the radio for variable rate mortgages that say “it’s possible that interest rates might drop!”

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Joink posted:

TLDR: Took out $300,000, current value is $265k and interest payments have doubled to $1500. :stare:

aaaaahahahaha

get hosed

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m still hearing ads on the radio for variable rate mortgages that say “it’s possible that interest rates might drop!”

poo poo like this ought to be banned. The BoC has been very clear that this is not going to happen anytime soon, “well technically you know it’s possible***” should not be a defence for predatory lending.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The best part of that post was

quote:

I would not consider myself a total noob when it comes to investing, but am realizing that leveraged borrowing is not for me after this experience

:shepface:

Also he bought a loving 2% MER mutual fund.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 12, 2022

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My drinking buddy is always going on about how he wants to invest the 200k of cash he has but yet is constantly saying dumb poo poo like “glad I didn’t invest last year” or “not going to invest now, everything is going down”. Frankly some people just don’t have the emotional wherewithal to withstand a drop in the market, although anyone leveraging on a 2% fund is a special kind of idiot so much so that it makes me think that it has to be a troll.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

qhat posted:

My drinking buddy is always going on about how he wants to invest the 200k of cash he has but yet is constantly saying dumb poo poo like “glad I didn’t invest last year” or “not going to invest now, everything is going down”. Frankly some people just don’t have the emotional wherewithal to withstand a drop in the market, although anyone leveraging on a 2% fund is a special kind of idiot so much so that it makes me think that it has to be a troll.

This scenario sounds like the Primerica special.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

qhat posted:

This was my parents. They never were very financially literate and never had savings. When they finally did get a chunk of money everyone told them to safely invest it, not let it rot in a savings account. A good friend of theirs handled investments and explained the whole thing and how theres ups and downs but its the long term that matters.

They put about 50k in some mutual funds. The first couple months it was stagnant which got them very upset because their savings account paid more. Then it went down a tiny bit and they lost their poo poo, pulled everything, and had a falling out with their friend.

They still have no idea how I "do investing" and report on average a few thousand a year growth. I just tell them what everybody told them, it's a long term thing with ups and downs. They can't understand at all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

They put about 50k in some mutual funds. The first couple months it was stagnant which got them very upset because their savings account paid more. Then it went down a tiny bit and they lost their poo poo, pulled everything, and had a falling out with their friend.

This is why I never give friends or family financial advice and tell them to just go speak to a professional. If they really want to know my strategy I'll tell them but with a heavy emphasis on this is what I myself am comfortable with and might not be for you. It's much easier to calm someone's poo poo when you're actually accredited, as opposed to random dude who for all they know is getting them to put their hard earned money into meme stocks or whatever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

qhat posted:

This is why I never give friends or family financial advice and tell them to just go speak to a professional. If they really want to know my strategy I'll tell them but with a heavy emphasis on this is what I myself am comfortable with and might not be for you. It's much easier to calm someone's poo poo when you're actually accredited, as opposed to random dude who for all they know is getting them to put their hard earned money into meme stocks or whatever.

I once had my aunt come to ask me questions about investing. Turns out she had socked away some money for my younger cousin (who at the time was just entering university) and she was freaking out that the investment had lost money.

What made it infuriating is that she couldn't answer a simple question that any advisor will say, "What's your time horizon? What's the goal for this money? What will (cousin) want to spend it on, tuition, house, etc.?" Every single answer was "I don't know.

Unsurprisingly, it had lost money because she put it in the most-conservative fund they had that was almost nothing but bonds. When I told her this, she absolutely refused to consider anything that was tilted towards equities because she was so firmly entrenched with an "absolutely no risk" mindset. No wonder no one in my family has money.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
GICs seem like a very Canadian thing. I remember getting some when I was a teenager. Never seen them mentioned in a couple decades living in the US now.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Joink posted:

I just can't shake that funny feeling that at the end of the day, we're all going to have to use public funds to bail these morons out so they do it all over again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

GICs seem like a very Canadian thing. I remember getting some when I was a teenager. Never seen them mentioned in a couple decades living in the US now.

The US treasury sells a variety of bills, bonds and notes (the latter is probably closest to GICs?), as well as two different kinds of investments with returns tied to inflation (TIPS and I Bonds). Some I think you need an SSN to buy, although you'd also have to file with the IRS so if you're not otherwise obligated to do so, gently caress that poo poo.

Baronjutter posted:

This was my parents. They never were very financially literate and never had savings. When they finally did get a chunk of money everyone told them to safely invest it, not let it rot in a savings account. A good friend of theirs handled investments and explained the whole thing and how theres ups and downs but its the long term that matters.

They still have no idea how I "do investing" and report on average a few thousand a year growth. I just tell them what everybody told them, it's a long term thing with ups and downs. They can't understand at all.

Principal-protected notes have been available in Canada for some 20-odd years now, targeted at just these sorts of people. Some guarantee at least your principle back (a lovely deal with 10% inflation, for sure), and others I remember looking at ages ago actually 'locked in' your return, if any, at various points through the note's lifetime. Basically they buy a bunch of GICs/bonds to guarantee the principle and a variety of exotic options to get the actual return. Of course there's a cost to all of this, namely higher fees and usually less liquidity than just buying an ETF or whatever, so they still seem to be (very justifiably) a niche product.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They're called certificates of deposit. They work basically the same way.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hubbert posted:

I just can't shake that funny feeling that at the end of the day, we're all going to have to use public funds to bail these morons out so they do it all over again.

I'd be very curious to see how the government assistance in the first year of COVID broke down in practice. Like, CERB was absolutely life-saving for huge numbers of people, and a trial-run for a UBI. And I feel like the small grants to help gyms, restaurants, etc would have had direct positive effects on workers.

But on the flipside any rich rear end in a top hat with a limited company kicking around for tax avoidance purposes could get $5K in free money, and I'm pretty sure there were other chunks of welfare that disproportionately benefited the wealthy.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

tagesschau posted:

They're called certificates of deposit. They work basically the same way.

tbills are a common thing in the us that are basically the same as a GIC

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You can sell tbills when you want, you can’t sell GICs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think you can also buy Canadian tbills, but I think usually you have to go directly to the bank and buy like $25k of them minimum or something. I’ve never actually done it though.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

the talent deficit posted:

tbills are a common thing in the us that are basically the same as a GIC

CDs, not Treasury bills, are the equivalent product to GICs. They're a time deposit from a retail bank.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Baronjutter posted:

For real, I only look at investments once a month when I do my spreadsheet updates (shoutout Portfolio Slicer), this is all very long term retirement planned investments. It's performance over even a year is irrelevant. This year in particular has been very up and down. Several months of +20,000 and more months of -20,000. You kind of have to detach yourself from it a bit or you start feeling like you're a crazy person just looking at tens of thousands of dollars appear or disappear in a month nonchalantly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have a list of my biggest paper losses because imo it's nice to be able to see how much it hasn't mattered once your bills are taken care of.

My first significant downturn (Brexit) was an order of magnitude smaller than this year's bear market and it still hasn't mattered. It's a super privileged position to be in and we're all slaves to global capital so why worry.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you've got an emergency fund and you're not leveraged and not hog wild into individual meme stocks then literally nothing you do matters ever until you're like 50 years old. My girlfriend got into investing into VGRO last year and she was disappointed that she hasn't seen any gains at all yet and that the market was tanking, but I told her that's actually a good thing for her. Going through a proper bear market is not something a lot of young people have any experience with and it really sifts the wheat from the chaff.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I recently did a transfer of $50k from my margin account to my wife's TFSA. I did it as a cash transfer because I didn't think I could do a transfer in kind from an account under my name to an account under her name. There was no capital gain realized by exiting my position.

Between the time I exited my positions in the margin account and re-entered those positions in the TFSA, they had gone up in price by about $1600 so I effectively lost $1600 with this manoeuvre.

I chose to re-enter at the higher value anyways because I didn't want to time the market.

Looking back, is there another way I could have done the transfer without taking this risk? Maybe creating a joint margin account with my wife, then transferring in kind to that account, then transferring in kind to her TFSA?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mantle posted:

Looking back, is there another way I could have done the transfer without taking this risk? Maybe creating a joint margin account with my wife, then transferring in kind to that account, then transferring in kind to her TFSA?

I don't think you even can hold a TFSA jointly. The contribution room is yours and yours alone. As it's post-tax monies, there's no rule about contributing to a spousal plan to claim a deduction or anything, so just straight-up giving a spouse cash to purchase is about all you can do, unless I'm mistaken.

I mean, you could've gained $1,600 just as easily doing what you did.

The only time you can transfer to/from a spouse without affecting contribution room is due to death or dissolution of a relationship (eg. divorce).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I don't think you even can hold a TFSA jointly. The contribution room is yours and yours alone. As it's post-tax monies, there's no rule about contributing to a spousal plan to claim a deduction or anything, so just straight-up giving a spouse cash to purchase is about all you can do, unless I'm mistaken.

I mean, you could've gained $1,600 just as easily doing what you did.

The only time you can transfer to/from a spouse without affecting contribution room is due to death or dissolution of a relationship (eg. divorce).

I know there are anti-money laundering rules about the source of funds account holder having to match the TFSA account holder, but Questrade is still letting us contribute to both my and her TFSA from the joint chequing account in both of our names. This is why I suspect doing a transfer in kind from a joint margin account might have worked, just that I didn't think of it before deciding to do the transfer.

Hopefully this info helps some other goon out there that wants to give it a shot.

e: just realized this is the lol housing thread, not the canadian finance thread. whoops

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mantle posted:

e: just realized this is the lol housing thread, not the canadian finance thread. whoops

Pretty much the same thing at this point.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You could’ve withdrawn the cash on margin and deposited it in the TFSA. Once you’ve purchased the stocks on the TFSA, you immediately sell the positions on the margin account. Anytime you are making short term plays like this, margin is what allows you flexibility to either buy or avoid selling in advance.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/inklessPW/status/1570213069984530435

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Isn’t this from last year? But this guy is truly a piece of poo poo and I sincerely hope his wife has to declare bankruptcy soon because of her HELOC investments.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All the charisma of a warthog.

He's less Boris Johnson and more Liz Truss. Less Donald Trump and more Ted Cruz. I don't think he has the capacity to appeal to anyone who's not already a Conservative supporter, and as we saw with Erin Son of Tool's heartbreaking hilarious loss last year, that's not enough.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Slotducks posted:

We've started our house hunting again - this time in the Elora/Fergus/Elmira area - a lot of folks are listing their houses for like 750, getting absolutely nothing on it, then lowering the price by 20k and still getting no bites. Sorry to tell you bud, but you're about 6 months too late.

Rate increase again is going to hurt those people even more lmao sucks to suck.

The markets going through a downturn

Just had our offer of 695 on a townhouse in Guelph go through on Sunday.

Excited for my heelturn into rigid conservative upon closing.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

tagesschau posted:

So I'm poking around, looking at listings in the neighborhood (a fool's errand, I know), when I realize that it looks like one of them has disappeared. After some more searching, I see that it's still for sale—it's been pulled and relisted for 5% more.

Update: this house is now listed at a whopping 1% under the June asking price. :getout:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://www.thestar.com/business/pe...ng-worried.html
:qq: :qq: :qq:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Next election is going to be all about how hard to bail out people like this

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Should have paid for the house in bitcoin

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leftist heap posted:

Next election is going to be all about how hard to bail out people like this

I’d love to hear a follow up when the software dev gets laid off and they can no longer sell the house for what anywhere close to what they bought it for.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Really hope the CERB money I have to pay back goes to help someone actually deserving, like these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Needs more national post style "concerned family" graphics.