Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My friend and I just turned enemy damage down to 75% and it made RoRR more bearable since you don't instantly die on busy platforms anymore.
I'm hearing that co-op rainstorm is bugged to be as fast as monsoon but I dont have anything really conclusive to link to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

I'm hearing that co-op rainstorm is bugged to be as fast as monsoon but I dont have anything really conclusive to link to.

Hmm. I could believe it, it does feel like it scales up absurdly fast.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I've been forcing myself to use Max to try and figure him out and I just got my first Hardest difficulty win with Dizzy, Riggs, and Max. I've been using him as an enabler, but you can do some bonkers damage with Dice Roll A. It's 0 energy discard 2 cards attack 2, so essentially once you've played out the rest of your hand it can convert "extra" cards in to attacks.

I also had a Harder win with Riggs, Drake, Max where I used him a bit differently. I got Clean Exhaust which makes all of your Exhaust or Single use cards free and the Max artifact that lets you make one of your cards buoyant. After that I took every expensive exhaust card that came my way since I could spam them all for free. I do think that run was carried by sticking Serenity in the Duplitron though and never having to worry about heat again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Rage Prisma burden gift :allears:

It looks like TVRUHH had some balance changes too, I'm noticing a few gifts have different numbers than they used to. The gift that boosts your charge damage went from +12% to +15% for instance.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Your Computer posted:

i had an absolutely amazing run die in the stupidest way possible :negative:

i was in the relic select menu when a little fly landed on my screen and i swiped at it to get it away without considering that the steam deck has a touchscreen

got the "gain 1 block per turn and take 2 hull damage if your block is full" relic and i literally went from full health to death purely through self damage since i had no way to manage my block

i am in PAIN

That relic is absurdly good if you can get Dizzy's Mitosis card. Basically infinity shields.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really like that burdens aren't just strictly negative too. Like some just make things more chaotic but are pretty easy to deal with and end up helping you. Just a lot of fun variety and things can get pretty chaotic. Even the "gently caress you" burdens end up making me laugh more than anything.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Your Computer posted:

i had an absolutely amazing run die in the stupidest way possible :negative:

i was in the relic select menu when a little fly landed on my screen and i swiped at it to get it away without considering that the steam deck has a touchscreen

got the "gain 1 block per turn and take 2 hull damage if your block is full" relic and i literally went from full health to death purely through self damage since i had no way to manage my block

i am in PAIN

lol my cat ended what would have been my first Hard win by jumping on my space bar and ending my turn when I was about to do 12 of the 14 remaining HP to the final boss. Good times.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

also: 12 rainbow spider circle

KNR
May 3, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I can get to the final boss in Roboquest on Guardian 1 difficulty as the Elementalist consistently, but their lack of mobility just kills me.
Guess I'm gonna have to hope to roll perks for a full-on burning spec one run.
Just did Guardian 2 with Elementalist by going all in on mantra cycling. The mantra gun perk gives a reload, infinite ammo and extra projectiles on cycle, there's another projectiles on cycle perk and there's a perk to reduce cycles to 5 seconds, I was a mag size upgrade away from being able to shoot the tommy gun forever, as is I had to use a single ability per cycle to never start a reload animation.

For mobility, I found it useful this run to just stop shooting and sprint during the fusion core and the final bossfights.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

KNR posted:

Just did Guardian 2 with Elementalist by going all in on mantra cycling. The mantra gun perk gives a reload, infinite ammo and extra projectiles on cycle, there's another projectiles on cycle perk and there's a perk to reduce cycles to 5 seconds, I was a mag size upgrade away from being able to shoot the tommy gun forever, as is I had to use a single ability per cycle to never start a reload animation.

For mobility, I found it useful this run to just stop shooting and sprint during the fusion core and the final bossfights.

Yeah, I haven't been too lucky with trait rolls so far, I think I can manage if I just get a good run.

On another note, Quickplay in TVRUHH sure is a grind and a half, huh

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Broken Cog posted:

On another note, Quickplay in TVRUHH sure is a grind and a half, huh

Tetrids are a grind that I'll probably try to cheat engine my way through soon, but isn't quickplay simply a way to play a specific fight at a specific difficulty level?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Loddfafnir posted:

Tetrids are a grind that I'll probably try to cheat engine my way through soon, but isn't quickplay simply a way to play a specific fight at a specific difficulty level?

There's a bunch of stuff locked behind quickplay levels, and that means doing a lot of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Twin Heart and some monsters require quickplay stuff yeah. Personally it never felt like I was grinding or anything though since I have fun with that game mode too, but I can see it feeling that way for others.

Loddfafnir posted:

deranged, tetrids are meant to be earn, those are your high score >:I

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Loddfafnir posted:

Play more quickplay. They stop being a grind because Quickplay never asks you to spend tetrids.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're still a grind. Personally I suspect that tetrid rate of acquisition might be boosted for full release because as it stands they provide something to do for people who have been playing the game on and off for years during the 5+ year EA.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
TVRUHH: Alt Defect is actually hilarious on Endless Terror.
Who cares that they are overleveled and have +40% speed and +80% attack. I have 8 helpers, 120% damage, and they don't scale health.

Edit:

fez_machine posted:

Play more quickplay. They stop being a grind because Quickplay never asks you to spend tetrids.

?

Honestly though, Endless Nightmare/Terror is by far the best place to farm Tetrids.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 14, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

That relic is absurdly good if you can get Dizzy's Mitosis card. Basically infinity shields.

that's how i got my first incredibly overpowered run, purely by accident :pram:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've only been playing TVRUHH for a couple months and I already have way more tetrids than I know what to do with. I hope they let you spend tetrids on more monster events, not just Lila.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've only been playing TVRUHH for a couple months and I already have way more tetrids than I know what to do with. I hope they let you spend tetrids on more monster events, not just Lila.

Are you radiating everything?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've played for 76 hours and still have an awful lot to radiate. It's fine for me but asking 100 hours of most players once it releases would be a lot.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

No Wave posted:

I've played for 76 hours and still have an awful lot to radiate. It's fine for me but asking 100 hours of most players once it releases would be a lot.

You aren't intended to 100% the game. Think like Binding of Isaac or something. Author just really likes having loads of possible options to get stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The grind in TVRUHH is absolutely god awful.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chin Strap posted:

Are you radiating everything?

Everything I can radiate has been radiated. All monsters are radiated, nearly all power gifts are radiated, all bonus gifts are radiated. I mostly have to work through the quick gifts and the new stuff from the Towers patch. Savefile 75% full.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

You aren't intended to 100% the game. Think like Binding of Isaac or something. Author just really likes having loads of possible options to get stuff.
I don't have any issue with the crazy number of quickplays to prismatic or the insane number of achievements but not being able to radiate 50% of your stuff for a <30 hour player is a different question entirely.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The "grind" is entirely optional and totally unnecessary for enjoying the game. Just play the game. Spend your tetrids when you get them. Stopped having fun shooting monsters with love bullets? Congrats, you've finished the game.

You don't actually need to radiate anything except maybe Upgrade gifts, which are very inexpensive anyway.

Calling it "godawful" suggests you're trying to jam that square peg through the round hole.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, not being able to identify gifts or monster weaknesses definitely makes radiating a part of the gameplay. Personally though, I don't mind it that much, not a fan of the quickplay grind myself.

Also, I discovered that Endless has medals above Radiant.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The "grind" is entirely optional and totally unnecessary for enjoying the game. Just play the game. Spend your tetrids when you get them. Stopped having fun shooting monsters with love bullets? Congrats, you've finished the game.

You don't actually need to radiate anything except maybe Upgrade gifts, which are very inexpensive anyway.

Calling it "godawful" suggests you're trying to jam that square peg through the round hole.

So what's the design behind the grind then?

Are you intended to eventually know what gifts you're being offered or are you not intended to know that, for example?
If it's the latter then is the grind there just to make the game progressively easier the more time you spend in the treadmill? If it's the former then is the god awful grind the intended experience?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For the record I said I like having huge tetrid requirements during the EA period, I'm only saying it would be better to reduce them after full release.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

So what's the design behind the grind then?

Are you intended to eventually know what gifts you're being offered or are you not intended to know that, for example?
If it's the latter then is the grind there just to make the game progressively easier the more time you spend in the treadmill? If it's the former then is the god awful grind the intended experience?

I can't know the mind of the developer, but I would hazard a guess that the intended experience is that if you find a gift that you like, you can radiate it and recognize it in future runs...but that most of the gifts will be gambles. Radiating monsters is probably where you're "expected" to spend most of your currency.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Nah, Jack Trades is right; TVRUHH is grindy. The game has a lot of numbers to go up, and the fundamental game loop is centered around unlocking stuff and fulfilling dreams.

I don’t mind it, personally; I enjoy a bit of grinding sometimes. A roguelike shmup is inherently unserious anyway, so I’m not exactly crushed by the corruption of the intense competitive experience. But it’s fair to let people know that’s what the game is going in.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Astral Ascent just hit 1.0

absolutely mammoth patch notes and launch updates

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1280930/view/3790402813128199724?l=english

The patch notes are like two news articles because they're so huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9Q3xnRaq8

It's an action roguelite, I guess maybe most closely analogous to Dead Cells, but it's doing its own thing (also has multiplayer coop)

Very big, lot of content, they've been consistently patching updating and changing stuff throughout EA - they weren't afraid to do full system revamps if something sucked either

Anyway, give it a try, it's pretty, plays fast, you can easily see if you dig it inside the refund window

Basic mechanics/progression/etc breakdown vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwoo5NdyLwU

victrix fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 15, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What do you get for beating the shopkeeper in CC anyways?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What do you get for beating the shopkeeper in CC anyways?
Cleo's glasses, an item that gives you 1 energy per turn. And a steam achievement.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

No Wave posted:

Cleo's glasses, an item that gives you 1 energy per turn. And a steam achievement.

And the downside of (as you would expect from killing the shopkeeper) not being able to use the upgrade yards for the rest of the run

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw Backpack hero hit 1.0 today. Yay or nay?

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw Backpack hero hit 1.0 today. Yay or nay?

Bad but I like it - as fun as playing inventory management for synergy bonuses is, "Slay the Spire but you have all your options always" doesn't make for especially interesting play. A game that I enjoy a lot (and have enormous amounts of time in!) but wouldn't really recommend to others.

mcgrue
Apr 7, 2011

just loafin around

Arzaac posted:

Well, I finally did it. Beat Dredmor on GRPD, with NTTG and 15 floors. Final stats looked something like this:

Honestly I still really love this game! It definitely has a lot of problems (pick from: inventory management, obnoxious traps, obnoxious crafting, way too long, even longer with 15 floors, Dredmor being a ridiculous run killer) but a lot of them feel like minor QoL things more than anything wrong with the core game. Some kind of hypothetical Dredmor remake with these issues addressed might be one of my favorite roguelikes of all time, but as it is I do think its really solid. Anyways the really fun part of this game is making skill builds so I wanna talk about my build!
  • Clockwork Knight: Frankly this is the core of the whole thing, I wanted to make a CK build so I did! It's...honestly an incredible skill tree. By the endgame you get access to 3 different movement skills (one on a 4 turn cooldown!) that are all excellent AoEs, as well as a fairly useful ranged attack. It's seriously possible to just charge into a zoo, unleash utter hell for a few turns, and if the going ever gets tough you can just jump back out no worse for wear. And the only tradeoff is that the early game is...genuinely pretty bad. Rocket Punch and the Stomp still work fine, but until you get your full clockwork armor you will destroy your health pool on Rocket Jump and Charge, making them nigh unusable. Thankfully, you're a warrior, so your other skill trees should be able to get you through the game. Genuinely fantastic, though it does practically require Smithing and Tinkering to get the armor.
  • Smithing: Yeah uh I basically took this solely to support clockwork knight. And frankly I'm glad I did, if I didn't I think I would've gotten the clockwork armor pieces around floor 11. Genuinely I think smithing is pretty okay; Tinkering and Alchemy are probably both better, but this makes for a pretty good early-mid game skill that can get you geared up way quicker than scrouging the dungeon for loot. By the end game it's largely served its purpose, and I really only used it to craft a bunch of throwables. That's still pretty useful though! Oh, and I ran really dry on amulets, so the ability to craft one was very handy.
  • Tinkering: I like tinkering a whole lot more than smithing, it crafts a lot of stuff that you'll actually use for endgame gear, plus it's really incredible for getting a bow up and running early! If you focus on it you can get a steel recurve bow by like floor 2, plus with some recipe luck you can get a legit endgame crossbow super early. And it crafts a bunch of great ammo, from strong bolts to explosives to the ever useful Clockwork Sawblade. Really think its my favorite crafting skill, for pretty much any build.
  • Swords: Really just picked it because I wanted to go for a counter build. I know most people recommend axes with CK for the Clockwork Threshing stacking, but as it turns out swords are good with practically any build and getting up to 94+ counter makes you basically invincible, so it worked out! No notes.
  • Dual Wielding: God I do think this skill is kinda nuts. You can basically just take it and never level it up just to wear two weapons! if you want to level it up though, it's absolutely great for stacking counter! Really it feels like, if you wanna make a warrior, your first question is always if you wanna take this skill or not. Great skill.
  • Battle Geology: I took this because I wanted a dredmor killer, and I wanted to see if it's as great as everyone keeps saying. Turns out, wow, it's amazing! Pretty much every skill here is worthwhile in some way, though the two insanely good ones are the ranged melee attack that stuns, and the petrification that's a 13 round stun. Sure, it shoots their resists through the roof, but you can still hit through it when you just want something dead. Also is an amazing early game skill thanks to plutonic fist, which turns into an excellent debuff for enemies at later stages. I completely get the hype, this might be the best tree for duels in the entire game.
  • Perception: This was intended to fix the accuracy issues I thought I'd have with heavy armor but eh, it wasn't really much of a problem, especially because I have like 7 different attacks that ignored accuracy. I'm still glad I took it because sight range is pretty strong, but this was absolutely a "get levels in it when I maxxed everything else out" skill. I don't even think it was bad, it was just my lowest priority.

Anyways, yeah, good game. I'll absolutely play more whenever we get whatever new stuff is being teased by Gaslamp.

...you had so many buffs that even the duct-tape UI couldnt handle it!

Is that a Monofilament Sword on the right?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Personally I think the tetrid system in TVRUHH is a really elegant way to combine high score stuff with currency mechanics in a way that is very flavor and vibes with the setting of the world. Unfortunately i am the only person who reads the lore on the cards.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Personally I think the tetrid system in TVRUHH is a really elegant way to combine high score stuff with currency mechanics in a way that is very flavor and vibes with the setting of the world. Unfortunately i am the only person who reads the lore on the cards.

Listen, four dozen times “Coming soon,” four dozen and one times shy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

mcgrue posted:

...you had so many buffs that even the duct-tape UI couldnt handle it!

Is that a Monofilament Sword on the right?

Sure is! Once you get down to like, floor 14 you start drowning in Monofilament Swords because there's not that much high level loot. I think I saw at least 5 of them?