Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gumby posted:

You know, I never thought about how Icy Burst would taste. Fiery would be cinnamon of course. And I suppose acidic would taste like spinach.

Dude, acid would obviously be super citrusy or something, you must be high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Considering that the entire reason anything tastes sour is because it has acid in it, yeah, you're right, Slim. In fact, spinach is bitter: bitter things are bitter because they have bases in them!

Gumby, you are as wrong as it is possible to be!

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Screw you guys; I haven't had a science class since the early 90s. I was looking for a combination of green and not-good-tasting. :gonk:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Which just goes to show how wrong you are, because spinach is delicious. :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rennej posted:

"My last breath... is also my mintiest..."

:lol:

That part was great on so many levels!

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007
I'll bet if it was a pike instead of a bow, it would taste like spearmint.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I know they're still in the midst of a battle, but I'm suprised Haley didn't yoink all the other magic bows and crossbows off the wall while she was looking them over. Even if the abilities suck for her, that's good money. She better not forget to go back for them.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Dirtanium posted:

I'll bet if it was a pike instead of a bow, it would taste like spearmint.

I will someday kill you for this.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

New strip.

Liking the "new" Belkar so far. Looking forward to seeing the full team react to his "change."

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The upside of working late is that I get to do this again

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

Click here for the full 714x933 image.

I don't really know 3.5E that well, but doesn't Mr Scruffy wandering off suggest that he isn't Belkar's animal companion, but just an abnormally intelligent housecat?

EDIT: /\/\/\/\/\ drat YOU! :argh:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DoctorTristan posted:

The upside of working late is that I get to do this again

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

Click here for the full 714x933 image.

I don't really know 3.5E that well, but doesn't Mr Scruffy wandering off suggest that he isn't Belkar's animal companion, but just an abnormally intelligent housecat?

Animal Companions are not attached at the hip to their master, but are free-thinking, abnormally intelligent (but incredibly loyal) animals. He could very well have got off somewhere in the course of the fight.

Which, incidentally, there's no way he would have survived without being an animal companion.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DoctorTristan posted:

Not necessarily, animal companions aren't just slaves who do whatever you tell them too. They'll take orders, but if they're smart enough they can interpret those orders. He might have just told it to cause mayhem and hurt whoever it could.

I'm going towards just really smart housecat myself, but the possibility is there.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
So, what do you think? Alignment shift from Chaotic Evil to Neutral Evil?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mushrooman posted:

So, what do you think? Alignment shift from Chaotic Evil to Neutral Evil?
Chaotic Neutral has a rather unfortunate "raving loving lunatic" reputation attached to it, but it sounds about right. I somehow doubt Belkar became more of a fan of following the rules, but he doesn't seem so inclined to do evil just because evil is fun anymore.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

CapnAndy posted:

but he doesn't seem so inclined to do evil just because evil is fun anymore.

Belkar in the latest strip posted:

murder, which is always a nice perk.

I don't know, I'm thinking still Chaotic Evil, but a little smarter about surviving with it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Chaotic Evil != "dumb as a loving brick". He still doesn't give a poo poo about the rules, decency, or life, but he's aware that he needs to be quiet about it.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Yeah, people who interpret Chaotic Evil as Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain are really selling short some deep roleplaying possibilities. Sometimes the best bad guys are the clever ones who know exactly how much they can get away with.

Although apparently he's going to die anyway, so I dunno.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Mammals that small never have particularly long lifespans, though. :D

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CapnAndy posted:

Chaotic Neutral has a rather unfortunate "raving loving lunatic" reputation attached to it

Pope Guilty posted:

Chaotic Evil != "dumb as a loving brick".

One of the reasons that I hate using alignments is that people are terrible about interpreting them. It's immensely frustrating when players think that CE means killing everyone in sight, and CN means flipping a coin or rolling a dice to see if they push their party members off the ramparts/eat a kitten/poo poo in the hallway.

Close contender for worst is Lawful Stupid.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Ashcans posted:

One of the reasons that I hate using alignments is that people are terrible about interpreting them. It's immensely frustrating when players think that CE means killing everyone in sight, and CN means flipping a coin or rolling a dice to see if they push their party members off the ramparts/eat a kitten/poo poo in the hallway.

It's really easier to, instead of trying to interpret such stupid PC actions within the normal alignment system, just make "stupid" another alignment component that can be stuck on either end.

CE PC decides to stab everything in sight, even the people he needs alive in order to accomplish his greater evil goals? Alignment shift to Stupid Evil. CN thief does the "roll to see if I hug babies or gently caress a dog" shtick? Alignment shift to Chaotic Stupid.

Everyone already uses the terms, anyway . . . might as well put them on the character sheet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
All I got to say is I continue to be delighted with Belkar's metamorphosis. I see him becoming twice the rear end he ever was with his newfound cunning.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

A Big Dark Yak posted:

It's really easier to, instead of trying to interpret such stupid PC actions within the normal alignment system, just make "stupid" another alignment component that can be stuck on either end.

CE PC decides to stab everything in sight, even the people he needs alive in order to accomplish his greater evil goals? Alignment shift to Stupid Evil. CN thief does the "roll to see if I hug babies or gently caress a dog" shtick? Alignment shift to Chaotic Stupid.

Everyone already uses the terms, anyway . . . might as well put them on the character sheet.

So what's needed to be done to get an alignment shift to True Stupid? :downs:

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Geshtal posted:

So what's needed to be done to get an alignment shift to True Stupid? :downs:

Attack a gazebo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ashcans posted:

I think this is how they were basically described in the first edition of AD&D, which is probably to blame.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some people play chaotic X as psychotic X (I've heard of "chaotic good" characters that have been just as insane as the more traditional evil ones) because they interpret it as a sort of need to actively break laws. So not only CAN your chaotically evil character freely kill the people who hold you back, you SHOULD do it because the law says not to.

Which is just a reversal of loving irritating Lawful good characters who will insist on stopping to hunt down the horrifically evil bastard who has hideously and onerously killed that man's dog, or refuse to break into the house of a known enemy because it would be trespassing.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

:siren: NOOTS :siren:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I knew the lawyer angle was coming when that guy said something about contracts and them lasting in perpetuity.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

"May the gods of forgive me"?

Hopefully the gods of typos will forgive him for not proof-reading this one :xd:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mylan posted:

"May the gods of forgive me"?

Hopefully the gods of typos will forgive him for not proof-reading this one :xd:

At least it's not a sword that didn't get colored in that's argued about for a page or two.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

seaborgium posted:

At least it's not a sword that didn't get colored in that's argued about for a page or two.

I think she said "The gods of-" and we couldn't hear the last word because it is the secret name of a god, which also works as a power word spell, which she casted silently. Discuss.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sick_Boy posted:

I think she said "The gods of-" and we couldn't hear the last word because it is the secret name of a god, which also works as a power word spell, which she casted silently. Discuss.

Power word "Lawyer"? Possibly Power Word "Pontification"? I'm guessing creatures from an elemental or alignment based plane would have access to their own particular flavor of power word spells that reflect their own alignments/environment.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Roy needs to shut up. All of his characters are much too wordy but the one who can't even interact with the others really has no reason to say so much. Brevity = soul of wit.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

seaborgium posted:

Power word "Lawyer"? Possibly Power Word "Pontification"? I'm guessing creatures from an elemental or alignment based plane would have access to their own particular flavor of power word spells that reflect their own alignments/environment.

Power word "Retainer".

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Roy needs to shut up. All of his characters are much too wordy but the one who can't even interact with the others really has no reason to say so much. Brevity = soul of wit.

Roy talks alot because he can't do anything but talk.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
I once had a character who got left behind as a portal closed, separating him from the rest of the party. Supposedly the portal would not open again for two weeks, and we were 30 minutes into our 6-hour session.

I understand Roy's peanut gallery banter pretty well. It sucks to be left behind.

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 22, 2008

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's been 10 days I want a new comic! :argh:

I realize it's the holidays, but Rich could at least post something on his front page about holidays.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Commissar posted:

It's been 10 days I want a new comic! :argh:

I realize it's the holidays, but Rich could at least post something on his front page about holidays.

By 10 do you mean 5 because I don't think we missed posting the latest comic by 5 days.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Manyorcas posted:

By 10 do you mean 5 because I don't think we missed posting the latest comic by 5 days.

Oh I guess I misread the date.

I guess 5 isn't too bad if he posts one today, then it'd be about normal.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I once had a character who got left behind as a portal closed, separating him from the rest of the party. Supposedly the portal would not open again for two weeks, and we were 30 minutes into our 6-hour session.

I understand Roy's peanut gallery banter pretty well. It sucks to be left behind.

I once had a character who was kidnapped by bad guys in an area we had already cleared out, when he went in alone, by order of the party leader.

I stayed kidnapped for two weeks, before the DM finally did a one-off session with just me to get free.

It was really loving annoying, but I sat and read splatbooks until the DM called each session and apologized to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Happy Holidays everyone!! New comic today and it's wonderful :v:

Click here for the full 702x933 image.

Kleedrac fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2008