Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just started using the AUX input in my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer and noticed there some horrible noise on that input. Even with the engine off and no cellphones around and nothing plugged into the AUX input, I get a horrible oscillating sound that comes through. It goes away when I switch the source to radio or BT or something else so its only on AUX. Again, nothing even plugged into AUX. The AUX input is factory and is a pair of RCA jacks in the center console. Could this be a ground loop issue?

edit: Ok its a known issue with my car. Still not sure whats causing it.
edit2: found a work around. I was plugging an old pro tape deck into it (don't ask) and for some reason the headphone out would totally kill the noise once plugged in but the RCA line out would not. Maybe because the headphone line had a common ground and the line out didn't?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006
I am looking for an mp3 player to replace my Sansa Fuze. My ideal player would be something

• with tactile controls (so I can adjust volume and change tracks while jogging without looking at the player, especially when I've got rain jacket covering player)
  • a voice recorder
  • bluetooth
  • a microSD card slot
  • rockbox compatibility if possible

The last two features are optional, although I do like Rockbox.

So far I have two less than optimal options: sansa clip with bluetooth dongle (since no built-in bluetooth), and a nano with one of those tiny plug in mics (since no built-in mic). (I could also replace my Fuze's dying battery instead of getting a clip, but a clip is only like $21 refurbed.)

I'd be willing to pay a premium to get all the features I want in a single unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Hopefully I'm posting in the right place, I didn't see any dedicated MP3-player thread.)

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

bitt3n posted:

I am looking for an mp3 player to replace my Sansa Fuze. My ideal player would be something

• with tactile controls (so I can adjust volume and change tracks while jogging without looking at the player, especially when I've got rain jacket covering player)
  • a voice recorder
  • bluetooth
  • a microSD card slot
  • rockbox compatibility if possible

The last two features are optional, although I do like Rockbox.

So far I have two less than optimal options: sansa clip with bluetooth dongle (since no built-in bluetooth), and a nano with one of those tiny plug in mics (since no built-in mic). (I could also replace my Fuze's dying battery instead of getting a clip, but a clip is only like $21 refurbed.)

I'd be willing to pay a premium to get all the features I want in a single unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Hopefully I'm posting in the right place, I didn't see any dedicated MP3-player thread.)

Use your phone with an armband and ideally some Bluetooth headphones.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

berzerker posted:

Use your phone with an armband and ideally some Bluetooth headphones.

That would solve everything but the tactile part (and being kind of large). Buttons are pretty important because when I listen to audiobooks I have to be able to rewind the track 15 seconds whenever the traffic gets too loud (eg a subway car goes by, which is fairly frequent).

Another problem is that it's going to get covered in sweat and possibly rained on for an hour a day, six days a week. (My rain jacket isn't 100% waterproof because that actually makes it wetter inside on account of sweat.) I have to scrape the corrosion off my headphone plug with an Exacto knife occasionally to keep it functional, and the port that connects the Fuze to USB is so corroded that I have to add new music via a micro SD card. It also tends to get banged around a lot. Thus I'd prefer to use some <$150 player rather than my phone if possible.

From searching around a bit, it seems like the market has become Apple at the high end, and then a lot of super-cheap products like the Clip, with nothing in between. A Clip with bluetooth would be perfect.

bitt3n fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had a weird idea just now to use bluetooth earbuds for PC games, since I play them from the sofa away from my PC. Is that the dumbest idea ever or is there some merit to it? I don't like external headphones at all, never have, so that just leaves earbuds. How much endurance do those things get for games, versus music? About the same, ~5 hours or something?

Also, an even stupider question: can bluetooth devices be connected to more than one host device at the same time, or if I want to use it for my iphone or something do I need to manually switch it over every time? I don't have that much experience with bluetooth devices.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, an even stupider question: can bluetooth devices be connected to more than one host device at the same time, or if I want to use it for my iphone or something do I need to manually switch it over every time? I don't have that much experience with bluetooth devices.

Some can, some can't. I have one set of headphones that will pair with two devices. I have another that I have to go through the full pairing process every time I switch devices. Multiple-pairing is sometimes an advertised feature.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

Some can, some can't. I have one set of headphones that will pair with two devices. I have another that I have to go through the full pairing process every time I switch devices. Multiple-pairing is sometimes an advertised feature.
So like, it will just take audio from two sources? The two sources of audio in my apartment are the PC and the PS3, headphones such that I can just listen to both silently, without switching anything, would be pretty rad.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Mine won't, at least. I can cycle between two paired devices. The closest I can get is if I'm listening to my laptop, and my phone rings, it'll switch over automatically.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

Mine won't, at least. I can cycle between two paired devices. The closest I can get is if I'm listening to my laptop, and my phone rings, it'll switch over automatically.
Yeah, looking on Amazon I found one device that remembers up to eight devices, but REMEMBERS, that's all. Maybe there's no such thing as basically a make-it-so-every-sound-producing-electronic-device-in-your-room-only-goes-directly-into-your-ears-wirelessly device. Unless I connected everything through a central stereo setup or something anyway.

I've been trying to find a headphones for using in my apartment solution for many years now, every time there has been something that has made me abandon it and just go back to using speakers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bitt3n posted:

That would solve everything but the tactile part (and being kind of large). Buttons are pretty important because when I listen to audiobooks I have to be able to rewind the track 15 seconds whenever the traffic gets too loud (eg a subway car goes by, which is fairly frequent).

Another problem is that it's going to get covered in sweat and possibly rained on for an hour a day, six days a week. (My rain jacket isn't 100% waterproof because that actually makes it wetter inside on account of sweat.) I have to scrape the corrosion off my headphone plug with an Exacto knife occasionally to keep it functional, and the port that connects the Fuze to USB is so corroded that I have to add new music via a micro SD card. It also tends to get banged around a lot. Thus I'd prefer to use some <$150 player rather than my phone if possible.

From searching around a bit, it seems like the market has become Apple at the high end, and then a lot of super-cheap products like the Clip, with nothing in between. A Clip with bluetooth would be perfect.
Well Bluetooth headphones can have controls, so that might work. Keep the phone stashed/protected wherever, just use the controls on the headphones.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, looking on Amazon I found one device that remembers up to eight devices, but REMEMBERS, that's all. Maybe there's no such thing as basically a make-it-so-every-sound-producing-electronic-device-in-your-room-only-goes-directly-into-your-ears-wirelessly device. Unless I connected everything through a central stereo setup or something anyway.

I've been trying to find a headphones for using in my apartment solution for many years now, every time there has been something that has made me abandon it and just go back to using speakers.
Might be possible, but yeah the only things I've seen have been to switch the pairing profile rather than give a single aggregate audio feed.

...well there's another possibility but it depends on your setup, but basically run the PS3 audio into the PC input, passthrough the audio, and just use the BT headphones with the PC. I did something similar with my consoles going through my TV to my computer a while back.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I want one or two wireless speakers. I don't have a large appartment (52 square meters/560 square feet), but I'd love a wireless speaker in my kitchen, and maybe in my bedroom. Also, it would be nice to be able to control things through a tablet or similar sometime later, since I don't have a tablet at the moment. What are the options? I have an Onkyo receiver that I bought new last year and I'm very happy with it.

I've looked at Sonos, but it seems pretty expensive and buying something that can play 32 difference channels when you just want 1 or maybe 2 extra speakers seems like overkill. Are there other good options?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sjonkel posted:

I want one or two wireless speakers. I don't have a large appartment (52 square meters/560 square feet), but I'd love a wireless speaker in my kitchen, and maybe in my bedroom. Also, it would be nice to be able to control things through a tablet or similar sometime later, since I don't have a tablet at the moment. What are the options? I have an Onkyo receiver that I bought new last year and I'm very happy with it.

I've looked at Sonos, but it seems pretty expensive and buying something that can play 32 difference channels when you just want 1 or maybe 2 extra speakers seems like overkill. Are there other good options?

What about Apple AirPlay? There are a number of speakers with wifi that will show up as AirPlay outputs. iTunes will output to multiple destinations, then you can control iTunes with an iOS device, or an iOS device can play audio directly to one. If you want your home theater involved too, add an AppleTV or AirportExpress. It works very well.

A random "best of AirPlay speakers" article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406177,00.asp

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does the receiver support AirPlay by any chance? You'd be limited to iOS and Mac sources but it's probably the best option if you happen to use that already. Then for another wireless speaker you can then get an AirPlay speaker (which was pretty costly last I saw) or just use any speaker and hook it up to an Airport Express (or AppleTV with a bit more work), and you can save a bit by buying refurbs off the online Apple Store.

Bluetooth might be another option but the configurations I can think of off the top of my head wouldn't be as nice.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, but my work (which supply me with phone, laptop and hopefully tablets soon) is stricly Android/Windows, so AirPlay isn't an option unfortunately. I should have specified, sorry for that.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
There's Windows and Android software that can output to Airplay. Some of it costs a little bit, but it definitely exists. eg http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's also bluetooth thingies that you can connect to whatever speakerset/amp+speaker combo, if your soundsource is always going to be music from a laptop/smartphone/tablet

It's a bit lower tech than the other solutions and sound isn't going to follow you around automatically or whatever, but it works allright with, well, anything that has bluetooth and anything that accepts a line level input.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I realized the other day that I have a receiver and decent speakers in the living room that I rarely use because it's a pain to plug my ipod in to them and then get up every time I want to switch songs/albums. I also realized that I could use my Nexus 7 to play mp3's stored on my desktop in shared folders and then send the audio to bluetooth receiver attached to the receiver. No reason that shouldn't work, right?

Looking around Amazon, this one seems like a nice fit since it has NFC that should work with my N7 and Nokia 920. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How much power in an amp is required to run a given pair/set of speakers? How can I know I'm matching the amp to the speakers? How much output power from the amp is too much?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I realized the other day that I have a receiver and decent speakers in the living room that I rarely use because it's a pain to plug my ipod in to them and then get up every time I want to switch songs/albums. I also realized that I could use my Nexus 7 to play mp3's stored on my desktop in shared folders and then send the audio to bluetooth receiver attached to the receiver. No reason that shouldn't work, right?

Looking around Amazon, this one seems like a nice fit since it has NFC that should work with my N7 and Nokia 920. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/
I know nothing about nfc, other than that all that should work out.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's also bluetooth thingies that you can connect to whatever speakerset/amp+speaker combo, if your soundsource is always going to be music from a laptop/smartphone/tablet

It's a bit lower tech than the other solutions and sound isn't going to follow you around automatically or whatever, but it works allright with, well, anything that has bluetooth and anything that accepts a line level input.

This is pretty interesting, since the soundsource will pretty much always be either my laptop/phone or a tablet. Can you give me a few pointers to what brands/equipment I should look for? I know pretty much nothing about this, but I'd love to read up on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

signalnoise posted:

How much power in an amp is required to run a given pair/set of speakers? How can I know I'm matching the amp to the speakers? How much output power from the amp is too much?
From looking around myself a while back, it seemed like impedance was the bigger thing to watch out for. Like if your speaker/wiring setup has too low of an impedance for the amp, it can burn itself out, while the effect of going too high seemed to be lower power/volume output (except tube amps which apparently can get damaged there too).

Power wise I'm not really sure though, particularly since there's some BS numbers in advertising. From what I'm seeing now from some quick searching is a loose rule about 2x the speaker's RMS rating (assuming the amp is rated for the impedance you'll be using it at). And just a wild guess here, maybe you can go higher as long as you don't go crazy with the volume.

Sjonkel posted:

This is pretty interesting, since the soundsource will pretty much always be either my laptop/phone or a tablet. Can you give me a few pointers to what brands/equipment I should look for? I know pretty much nothing about this, but I'd love to read up on it.
Well there's standalone Bluetooth transmitters and receiver dongles, and seems like most devices these days can work by themselves as transmitters to begin with. So in the simplest setup you hook up a receiver to a speaker (or one of many BT capable speakers), pair it up with a device and boom, wireless sound.

I'd say pairing would be the biggest issue, but looks like receivers can do multiple devices these days, albeit I'm not sure of the details in actual use.

I guess main issue then is if you want to do multiple zone outputs, like kitchen + bedroom as you mentioned, because I have no clue if it's possible to transmit multiple BT audio streams from a single source. I could think of some slightly clunky workarounds involving audio splitters and multiple sets of BT dongles but I don't know how well that'd work in practice, like if there'd be noticeable lag or interference. Alternatively if you don't need the sound everywhere at once, since a lot of BT stuff is portable you could just sneakernet things around, whether it be a portable BT speaker itself, or moving a receiver dongle from a speaker setup in one room to another.

Also range is limited but might be enough for your apartment going by the square footage you mentioned. One issue I've had when using BT is wifi causing interference, I don't think it's a problem with light transfers (like most regular browsing) but I've had audio stuttering when doing stuff over the LAN. No clue how 2.4 vs 5ghz or different channels have an effect on that though.

tl;dr - eh might as well try it out...particularly cause it can be done cheaply. The top three that came up in a search all seem to be well reviewed:

Belkin for $22.18 - note the reviews that mention taking it apart and removing a metal plate to improve performance...and I'm not sure it does multiple pairing, that blurb might be referring to the newer HD version. Amazon should've kept them completely separate.
Logitech for $37.65 - the reviews mention switching between devices, sounds kind of annoying.
HomeSpot for $27.99 - ...:iiam: but it's generally reviewed well. Might have the same multi pair usage annoyances as the Logitech, that might be a BT thing in general though, at least on these cheaper devices.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

japtor posted:

I'd say pairing would be the biggest issue, but looks like receivers can do multiple devices these days, albeit I'm not sure of the details in actual use.
For me it goes like this: there's an initial pairing process where you have to hold a button on the dongle thingy, so it becomes bluetooth-discoverable. After that, paired devices are remembered.

When I want to play music from my laptop through the bluetooth thing, I open the bluetooth control panel on the laptop and push a 'connect' button and that's it. Basically the exact same thing from my phone.

japtor posted:

I guess main issue then is if you want to do multiple zone outputs, like kitchen + bedroom as you mentioned, because I have no clue if it's possible to transmit multiple BT audio streams from a single source.
Not possible as far as I know. In a 50mē appartment this might not be a huge problem.

japtor posted:

I don't know how well that'd work in practice, like if there'd be noticeable lag or interference.
Maybe some devices are better at this, but mine has .4s lag at all times. That doesn't matter much for music, but doesn't work well for gaming or video, obviously.

japtor posted:

Alternatively if you don't need the sound everywhere at once, since a lot of BT stuff is portable you could just sneakernet things around, whether it be a portable BT speaker itself, or moving a receiver dongle from a speaker setup in one room to another.
This would work with a bluetooth enabled, battery powered, boombox thing, but is pointless with a dongle.

Please note that these things need power and have their own wallwart. I'm not sure what happens if you unplug the power from it, but you'd probably have to go through pairing or at least connecting again anyway. Might as well buy a second one then.

japtor posted:

Also range is limited but might be enough for your apartment going by the square footage you mentioned. One issue I've had when using BT is wifi causing interference, I don't think it's a problem with light transfers (like most regular browsing) but I've had audio stuttering when doing stuff over the LAN. No clue how 2.4 vs 5ghz or different channels have an effect on that though.
Personally, I've had zero issues with this, but that's all anecdata I can offer.

japtor posted:

Belkin for $22.18 - note the reviews that mention taking it apart and removing a metal plate to improve performance...and I'm not sure it does multiple pairing, that blurb might be referring to the newer HD version. Amazon should've kept them completely separate.
Logitech for $37.65 - the reviews mention switching between devices, sounds kind of annoying.
HomeSpot for $27.99 - ...:iiam: but it's generally reviewed well. Might have the same multi pair usage annoyances as the Logitech, that might be a BT thing in general though, at least on these cheaper devices.
I have one from a brand called "Trust", which isn't sold in the USA. They do their own packaging of imported Chinese items in Europe. Thing is, it looks exactly like the TaoTronics one, with this caveat that mine was advertised as having Bluetooth v3.0. It does remember at least two pairings. Sound quality is okay (no noticable artefacts) but a tad bass heavy. Other than that, I can offer no personal experience with any of them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

signalnoise posted:

How much power is required depends mainly on two factors: speaker sensitivity and how loud do you like it? *

Check the sensitivity of the speakers (measured in dB/W @ 1m). There are formulas for calculating how loud a speaker with known sensitivity gets, given a certain input power from the amp. I'm sure jonathan will weigh in, but you can check the OP of this thread for some basics about power and speakers.
This article also has pre-calulated some values for you and seems pretty well-informed:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm
The tables assume that you don't want louder than 90 dB, which seems reasonable in most home settings. If you want louder, I'm sure you can find the formulas somewhere.
The article doesn't mention impedance, but japtor has it right that the amplifier must be rated for playing at the impedance of the speakers, otherwise you risk blowing it up.

Remember that it's much more common for someone to blow their speakers by using an underpowered amp than an overpowered one. If you apply too many watts to a hifi speaker of reasonable quality, usually your ears will be really sorry before you hit the upper limit of however many hundred watts the speaker can handle. An underpowered amplifier, however, will start clipping when you crank it up, and that's when speakers really suffer. You'll either damage the cone from too high excursion, or melt the voice coil by passing what amounts to DC though it. Not to mention that clipping sounds like poo poo.

* Also: indoors/outdoors, room shape/size, listening distance etc.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 14, 2013

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
I have a question, although more of an audio+video question:

I currently have a projector on my ceiling, using a long HDMI cable. Sound goes through a Sony BDV-E870 system, which can accept audio in via a standard minijack, or optical. See here for specifics:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hch-systems-with-blu-ray-disc/bdv-e870/technical-specifications#tab

Anyways, I have an N64 and a dreamcast I'm interested in playing again. i am utterly baffled as to how I would get this to work.

Here's a boiled down version of what I'm facing here:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

For me it goes like this: there's an initial pairing process where you have to hold a button on the dongle thingy, so it becomes bluetooth-discoverable. After that, paired devices are remembered.

When I want to play music from my laptop through the bluetooth thing, I open the bluetooth control panel on the laptop and push a 'connect' button and that's it. Basically the exact same thing from my phone.
Do you have to disconnect one before connecting the other? I've had that issue with my Jambox, it remembers 2-3 things and automatically connects (and sticks) to the last device so it can be slightly annoying when I want to use another source.

quote:

Please note that these things need power and have their own wallwart. I'm not sure what happens if you unplug the power from it, but you'd probably have to go through pairing or at least connecting again anyway. Might as well buy a second one then.
Doh, I was thinking of the various portable battery powered ones when I wrote that part.
RF? :barf:

Is HDMI the only option on the projector or could you run some other cables too if it comes down to that? My first hunch would be digital adapters/converters but I have no clue how laggy the different ones are. If you can't get answers here I'd suggest the Retro Gaming Megathread. They should be able to get you hooked up and at the highest quality (and perhaps spending on a bunch of other poo poo you want but probably don't need :retrogames:).

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 14, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

japtor posted:

Do you have to disconnect one before connecting the other? I've had that issue with my Jambox, it remembers 2-3 things and automatically connects (and sticks) to the last device so it can be slightly annoying when I want to use another source.
I haven't tried to break in on an existing connection with a second device yet. I might give that a shot tomorrow, for science or whatever.

But my bluetooth thing doesn't auto-reconnect anyway. If I go out of range, I have to reconnect manually. Which suits me fine.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Manny Calavera posted:

I currently have a projector on my ceiling, using a long HDMI cable. Sound goes through a Sony BDV-E870 system, which can accept audio in via a standard minijack, or optical. See here for specifics:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hch-systems-with-blu-ray-disc/bdv-e870/technical-specifications#tab

Anyways, I have an N64 and a dreamcast I'm interested in playing again. i am utterly baffled as to how I would get this to work.

I don't have either of those consoles, but according to some cursory googling, the N64 and Dreamcast both have composite video and/or S-Video outputs. Most projectors should accept one of those, I'd have thought. Like japtor, I'm wondering what you mean by RF. Both definitely have some way of getting stereo analog audio out through RCA cables.

Edit: Seems like you could also order a VGA adapter for the Dreamcast, if the projector has VGA input.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 14, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do keep in mind that not all Dreamcast games are compatible with the VGA adapter without doing some weird stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

signalnoise posted:

The more the better. If you want max volume out of your speakers with clean, distortion free sound, you will want an amp that can sustain 4x the max rated power handling of the speaker.

If you aren't trying to squeeze every last decibel out of your speakers, a good rule of thumb for most of us is match your speaker's max rated power handling to your receivers advertised peak power per channel.

If you're not trying to reproduce concert venue volumes in home (115db +), you will get clean output with the more conservative method.

It takes 10x the watts to go 10db louder, and 100x the watts to go 20db louder.

On the flip side, as mentioned, turning up an underpowered amp too loud will overheat a speaker's voicecoil.

Its far easier to damage a speaker by overheating its voicecoil than it is to damage it by overpowering it to the point of mechanical failure (xmech). The latter gives you much more warning.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jonathan posted:

The more the better. If you want max volume out of your speakers with clean, distortion free sound, you will want an amp that can sustain 4x the max rated power handling of the speaker.

If you aren't trying to squeeze every last decibel out of your speakers, a good rule of thumb for most of us is match your speaker's max rated power handling to your receivers advertised peak power per channel.

If you're not trying to reproduce concert venue volumes in home (115db +), you will get clean output with the more conservative method.

It takes 10x the watts to go 10db louder, and 100x the watts to go 20db louder.

On the flip side, as mentioned, turning up an underpowered amp too loud will overheat a speaker's voicecoil.

Its far easier to damage a speaker by overheating its voicecoil than it is to damage it by overpowering it to the point of mechanical failure (xmech). The latter gives you much more warning.

So my understanding on this then between this post and the last post quoting me is

An amp is a variable output box that sends electricity to the speakers. The speakers have a set amount they can handle, as does the amp. While the amp can vary its power, the speakers do not, so you're better getting an overpowered amp and sending very little power to the speakers than getting too-powerful speakers and having your amp struggle to keep up. Basic understanding is you will know when you're sending too much power to speakers because they'll get too loud and pop. You won't know you're sending too much from your amp until it blows up.

Is that right?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I asked earlier about wireless speakers, and I've pretty much landed on going for Sonos. I'll start with the Connect and a speaker, and go from there as needed. With this setup, I'll have the Connect in my living room where my stereo is, and the wireless speaker in my kitchen. I also have my computer in my bedroom/office, but won't have any Sonos speakers there. So my question is, for those with experience with Sonos: From my computer, can I play music both to my PC speakers and to my Sonos Connect at the same time, and that way get the same, synced music in all 3 rooms? I do understand that this isn't possible if I use my smartphone or something similar to control it, so I'm asking if controlling it specifically from my PC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

signalnoise posted:

Basic understanding is you will know when you're sending too much power to speakers because they'll get too loud and pop. You won't know you're sending too much from your amp until it blows up.

Is that right?

Well, almost.
(It's not too-powerful speakers you want to watch out for, it's too-inefficient ones, but let's not focut on that.)
The amplifier has limits on how much power it can deliver. The more power you feed the speaker, the further the membrane will move, and the louder the sound will be.
Your speaker cone (membrane) has limits on how far it can move in and out without tearing loose or knocking into stuff. You'll probably notice if you're driving the speakers too hard (too much power), because the music will sound like poo poo. (Also, you'll be going deaf rapidly from the LOUD noise, probably.)
If, on the other hand, the amp has too little power to drive the speakers to the volume you want, as you turn it up, you'll very quickly notice it sounds distorted without necessarily being extremely loud, due to the signal clipping. The speaker is not moving the full distance, but it's being fed a signal with the peaks cut off, which again sounds like poo poo. Keep that up, and the speaker will be harmed. The amp will usually be fine and not blow up, because amps usually have an overload detection that shuts it down automatically, but your speakers may already be destroyed by then.

More info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PF32APSjrk
(Ignore the stuff about gain control and cars.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28audio%29

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 16, 2013

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Sjonkel posted:

I asked earlier about wireless speakers, and I've pretty much landed on going for Sonos. I'll start with the Connect and a speaker, and go from there as needed. With this setup, I'll have the Connect in my living room where my stereo is, and the wireless speaker in my kitchen. I also have my computer in my bedroom/office, but won't have any Sonos speakers there. So my question is, for those with experience with Sonos: From my computer, can I play music both to my PC speakers and to my Sonos Connect at the same time, and that way get the same, synced music in all 3 rooms? I do understand that this isn't possible if I use my smartphone or something similar to control it, so I'm asking if controlling it specifically from my PC.

No, the desktop application doesn't play any audio either. It's only a controller for the Sonos devices.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Think this is the right thread. Got two old (but I have no idea how old as they've been sitting in a store room for an unknown number of years) Cerwin-Vega AT-10. So while watching a movie earlier today, one of my speakers was giving distorted sound on some deep rumbling bass. Popped off the front and the foam circle lining (I think that's what it is?) appears to be coming off and just touching it causes it to break. I'm guessing in all the days they were stored, since they weren't being used ever, the lining just sort of dried out and is now breaking apart on the vibrations.

So, couple questions:
1) I'm guessing it's bad to use these till I fix this? Or can I use the damaged speaker linings still without harming the actual speakers as it does sound better than the TV speakers so long as I turn down the bass and not let it go too loud.
2) How do I go about getting this fixed? The lining has to be replaced on both speakers, but I think beyond that, it seems fine as the sound isn't distorted or anything so that means the cone is fine?

It's my first set of speakers, so I'm a little unsure of exactly what I'm doing here and I really don't want to lose them so soon after getting them. :ohdear:

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 23, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Master_Odin posted:

Cerwin-Vega AT-10
I'm entirely unqualified to answer this, but this page seemed to have a video you'd want to watch to get an idea what's involved.

I don't know anything about these guys or whether their repair kits are good.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The foam is shot. It happens. Look at partsexpress.com --I hear they do good work with their mail-in repair service, or sell kits to do it yourself. I have a guy locally where I take mine, but I might think about trying it myself on a speaker I wasn't very invested in.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
What kind of store would I look for to do this for me if I was so inclined and how much would it cost? Seems to take some of amount of time that I'm unsure I have. I'm additionally guessing I have to take the speaker out of the cabinet which hopefully isn't that hard. I am invested enough in the speakers that if I gently caress things up, I'm going to have to go a while without new speakers so it might be better for a professional to do it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My place just repairs speakers and build custom cabinets for bars and bands. I'm sure their yellow pages listing would be "speaker repair."

I'm sure you can get a quote from the Parts Express website. I'm also sure they've got suggestions on how to mail a driver. Removing it from the cabinet will involve removing the screws around the face of the driver, pulling it forward and unplugging two wires.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm looking for an mp3 player like bitt3n, but I'm not averse to touchscreen controls. I'm thinking of getting a cheap prepaid smartphone (seeing as how I need a phone anyways and don't care for the latest and greatest I can get away with a cheap one). I guess my question is which is better for playing music and videos, windows phone 8 or android?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm looking for an mp3 player like bitt3n, but I'm not averse to touchscreen controls. I'm thinking of getting a cheap prepaid smartphone (seeing as how I need a phone anyways and don't care for the latest and greatest I can get away with a cheap one). I guess my question is which is better for playing music and videos, windows phone 8 or android?

I like using Vanilla music for Android. Also the stock Google Play Music app works well. Supports FLAC etc.