Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

polydizzle posted:

The pads I was using had an extra pair at the top that were flapping all over the place, but they overlapped my goalie pants pads, Im assuming they are the thigh boards? I actually tucked them UNDER my goalie pants as so I had full protection. Normal? Dumb?

Some are supposed to be under, some infront. I have ones that wrap and velcro around your thigh. 99.999% of my saves wont ever need them but they've come in handy. Every time it's been when I have one leg down and one up at the side of the post. If someone feels like taking that off angle shot its very possible to hit there.

like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/560xls/5268957648/in/pool-39618476@N00/

Or if you're planning on making this save

http://media.photobucket.com/image/half%20butterfly%20goalie/maskedmarvel_2006/Mike_2.jpg

extending out but it gets tipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

polydizzle posted:

I did this each time, i dont think they were expecting it, I went all the way out to the hash marks lol.

The pads I was using had an extra pair at the top that were flapping all over the place, but they overlapped my goalie pants pads, Im assuming they are the thigh boards? I actually tucked them UNDER my goalie pants as so I had full protection. Normal? Dumb?

Did you charge and stack the pads? I find doing Hasek-style saves freaks people out the most and gets the most laughs from your teammates.

To reiterate what titanium said, it depends on the thigh board for where it goes. On the CCMs I posted, those went on the outside of the pants and would occasionally get caught on my pants. On my Vaughns, the thigh board goes inside the pants and wraps more around my thigh.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

titanium posted:

Some are supposed to be under, some infront. I have ones that wrap and velcro around your thigh. 99.999% of my saves wont ever need them but they've come in handy. Every time it's been when I have one leg down and one up at the side of the post. If someone feels like taking that off angle shot its very possible to hit there.

like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/560xls/5268957648/in/pool-39618476@N00/

I've given up 2 goals in my last 2 games by not being in that position properly (and my stick in the right place), and having the shots bounce off my down pad. I'm so stupid sometimes.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

Bradf0rd posted:

Did you charge and stack the pads? I find doing Hasek-style saves freaks people out the most and gets the most laughs from your teammates.

To reiterate what titanium said, it depends on the thigh board for where it goes. On the CCMs I posted, those went on the outside of the pants and would occasionally get caught on my pants. On my Vaughns, the thigh board goes inside the pants and wraps more around my thigh.

Well I charged out and stood up tall and I think that freaked em out, all 3 looked up saw that I was 5 feet away instead of 20-30 and shoot straight into me. As opposed to easily skating around me and making me fall on my rear end :3

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Playing tonight after four (?) weeks of no hockey. My hips hurt just thinking about the splits right now.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Playing tonight after four (?) weeks of no hockey. My hips hurt just thinking about the splits right now.

I went out last night after two weeks off. Just about killed my hip flexor near the end of the hour long drop-in. Have fun!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I'm going back in after 3 weeks tomorrow. I am scared for my life.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Martytoof posted:

That was me last week Marty, and which is why I spent a good 20 minutes tonight just trying to do some hip stretches so on Saturday when we have our next game I'm not nearly so tight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hurr durr, playing angles? What's that? Not biting on the first deke? Never heard of it! What an unmitigated disaster.

Actually hyperbole aside I played "okay" for a guy who sat on his rear end for three or four weeks. I made some pretty decent saves, but the gas tank was pointing at EMPTY about 30 minutes in and my legs were burning. Welp, some playtime ought to whip me back into "shape". At least to the point where I can play 45min-1hr without feeling like I want to pass out.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So I tried out my goalie skates last night. I am absolutely certain I looked like a retard. The balance points were all wrong, turning while skating forwards was difficult. Skating backwards was easy (what the christ?), and hockey stopping brought about hilarious results. I guess I shouldn't worry about crossovers, because I don't even know if I have space to do them once leg pads are on. I can push left to right fairly well, but right to left is harder for whatever reason.

What should I work on skating wise? Having not played in net yet, I'm not sure which skills will help most and what is a waste of time. I spent an hour or so emulating the goalie movements I see when watching hockey. Giving that I'm a Pens fan, that involved a lot of side to side movement and circling behind an imaginary net to chase imaginary pucks, missing them, and then crying when they were sunk into my imaginary empty net.

Also, I'll try to make my questions more specific:

Where do you balance on the blade of the skate when doing certain things? (Turning, Forwards/Backwards, Crossovers, Side to Side)

Where do you keep your weight when doing those things?

What do you generally sharpen to, 1/2 inch?

Is there ever a reason to be balanced on the outside edge of the skate? Is it even possible?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Benson Cunningham posted:

So I tried out my goalie skates last night. I am absolutely certain I looked like a retard. The balance points were all wrong, turning while skating forwards was difficult. Skating backwards was easy (what the christ?), and hockey stopping brought about hilarious results. I guess I shouldn't worry about crossovers, because I don't even know if I have space to do them once leg pads are on. I can push left to right fairly well, but right to left is harder for whatever reason.

What should I work on skating wise? Having not played in net yet, I'm not sure which skills will help most and what is a waste of time. I spent an hour or so emulating the goalie movements I see when watching hockey. Giving that I'm a Pens fan, that involved a lot of side to side movement and circling behind an imaginary net to chase imaginary pucks, missing them, and then crying when they were sunk into my imaginary empty net.

Also, I'll try to make my questions more specific:

Where do you balance on the blade of the skate when doing certain things? (Turning, Forwards/Backwards, Crossovers, Side to Side)

Where do you keep your weight when doing those things?

What do you generally sharpen to, 1/2 inch?

Is there ever a reason to be balanced on the outside edge of the skate? Is it even possible?

Side to side is inside edges (if you catch your outside in a rut or fold your ankle you're falling over), forwards is usually a T push ahead, backwards is usually a c cut with the inside of your skate, turning/crossovers you can end up on your outside edges I guess. All of these things you're trying to keep a pretty centered balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrjA_aQvVM This vid has my early sloppy and slow learnings of the "new style" movement. The Pro Hybrid videos might be helpful for you too.

1/2 inch is a good start

Outside edges you'll usually just use if you're doing crossovers to get behind the net. At first dont even bother worrying about playing the puck, work on in crease movement, saves, and proper recovery.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

titanium posted:

Side to side is inside edges (if you catch your outside in a rut or fold your ankle you're falling over), forwards is usually a T push ahead, backwards is usually a c cut with the inside of your skate, turning/crossovers you can end up on your outside edges I guess. All of these things you're trying to keep a pretty centered balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrjA_aQvVM This vid has my early sloppy and slow learnings of the "new style" movement. The Pro Hybrid videos might be helpful for you too.

1/2 inch is a good start

Outside edges you'll usually just use if you're doing crossovers to get behind the net. At first dont even bother worrying about playing the puck, work on in crease movement, saves, and proper recovery.

Are those 994s? You still rolling in Simmons?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

1/2 inch is a good start

I'd be pretty happy if my game were that sloppy. How much smoother are you moving now compared to this video?

That reminds that I should do more work on goalie drills, though that's been harder since our practice rink closed. Now all of the ice time I get is either open hockey or at skills sessions, but all of the drills they do there are shooter centric and the pacing of the shooters can be so fast that you don't really have time to work on things. It's really awesome when the shooters get bunched up and you get 3 quick shots in a row or when they decide to not follow the drill and turn what was supposed to be a shot at the top of the circles into a breakaway.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

titanium posted:

All of these things you're trying to keep a pretty centered balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrjA_aQvVM This vid has my early sloppy and slow learnings of the "new style" movement. The Pro Hybrid videos might be helpful for you too.

This video is basically the most helpful thing ever. Thank you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, there is definitely room to do crossovers with goal pads on, unless you're wearing comically oversized pads or something. I do them in warmups every game. It's not something I imagine you'll ever actually use in a game, but it can be done :)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Are those 994s? You still rolling in Simmons?

I went to Zero G's after the 994's but didnt like how stiff they were. I have 995's now but desperately miss the Zero G's perfect knee stacks, thats not to say the 995's arent good they're great but the Zero G's are perfect.

Aniki posted:

I'd be pretty happy if my game were that sloppy. How much smoother are you moving now compared to this video?

I'm more flexible since that video so I don't have issues rotating my hips as much. I'm more used to moving around like that and have since moved from a 1/2 hollow to 3/8ths. I still fall into some old habits from time to time but converting to this style and taking lessons has been a huge help to my crease mobility.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

titanium posted:

I went to Zero G's after the 994's but didnt like how stiff they were. I have 995's now but desperately miss the Zero G's perfect knee stacks, thats not to say the 995's arent good they're great but the Zero G's are perfect.

I'm more flexible since that video so I don't have issues rotating my hips as much. I'm more used to moving around like that and have since moved from a 1/2 hollow to 3/8ths. I still fall into some old habits from time to time but converting to this style and taking lessons has been a huge help to my crease mobility.

Yea I love my 995s too. I think the knee stacks are great for me but I also wear my babies super loose.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Me love UPS man.

My pro-return CCM H5 just isn't cutting it anymore, so I ordered this from Goalie Monkey.

I'll be trying it at a skate tonight.

It was much less stiff out-of-the-box than I thought it would be. I suppose this may be a really good or really bad thing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

How has the 3/8ths hollow worked out for you? I've been thinking about switching to a sharper hollow, but I think that I still have a lot of room for improvement in just getting the basic technique down and committing it to muscle memory, so that my pushes become automatic and not something that I need to actively do.

I'm starting to make progress in that regard, which is good, because I have a bad habit of freezing and keeping everything tight when I'm in my butterfly. That can work for the first or even second save, but if a shooter is hacking away at the puck, then eventually they'll get a goal. I had one sequence on Tuesday, where I stopped 5-shots in a row and the player was eventually able to bang the puck in since I didn't move to seel off the post. Granted, that was an extreme example and my defensemen were nowhere to be found, but I have a lot of plays where I'll make 1-3 saves in tight, but I don't adjust while I'm down and the shooter eventually finds a hole. Maybe those aren't perfect situations for butterfly slides, but in general I need to become much more mobile while I'm in my flies, so whether that means butterflying slding across the crease or knee shuffling to center-shift, then I need to get better at that.

Edit: On a related note, I've noticed that there are two types of butterfly slides for when you are already down on the ice. You can do the one big push or you can do 3-4 smaller pushes. Do you guys have any preference for which type of push you use and is there any situation where one type of push is favorable to the other? I know that in really quick plays, that 1 explosive push seems better, but would smaller pushes be favorable if you are following a shooter across the crease?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 6, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

parsleyc posted:

Me love UPS man.

My pro-return CCM H5 just isn't cutting it anymore, so I ordered this from Goalie Monkey.

I'll be trying it at a skate tonight.

It was much less stiff out-of-the-box than I thought it would be. I suppose this may be a really good or really bad thing.

I'm interested to see how that works out. I know that Goalie Monkey has been making pads for a while, but this their first C/A that I am aware of.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
I played my first organized inline league game last night as a goalie.

News: I have a 10.0 GAA, lucky we scored 9 to keep the game fun.
Views: I hate toe ties and need to do something about skate strap getting caught.

I literally fell on my rear end moving to cover a corner >> slot for 2 of those 10 goals
I have crummy Bauer player skates (4 wheels) until I save some more $$ for goalie skates
I am thinking of adding a t-nut + metal loop to keep the strap away from the wheels.

I am loving the skating vids even though I don't plan on playing ice for another year.
thanks for posting them :waycool: The related videos looks promising as well.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

I'm interested to see how that works out. I know that Goalie Monkey has been making pads for a while, but this their first C/A that I am aware of.

Huh? Its a Koho C/A I thought? I have never seen GM branded gear or are you referring to like the GM edition stuff?

Also, I managed to snap both toe ties tonight. Am I just tying them too tight or something?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Huh? Its a Koho C/A I thought? I have never seen GM branded gear or are you referring to like the GM edition stuff?

Also, I managed to snap both toe ties tonight. Am I just tying them too tight or something?

The old Koho company was bought out by RBK and no longer exists. Goalie Monkey owns the rights to Koho and they use that name for their own gear. I believe that a lot of it is updated versions of Koho designs, but I'm not sure how far they've drifted from the original designs by now.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

The old Koho company was bought out by RBK and no longer exists. Goalie Monkey owns the rights to Koho and they use that name for their own gear. I believe that a lot of it is updated versions of Koho designs, but I'm not sure how far they've drifted from the original designs by now.

Oh ok I didn't know that I was confused as poo poo when you said that GM makes their own stuff lol.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Did they break because of skate cuts or stress? How exactly are you tying your toe ties?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

Did they break because of skate cuts or stress? How exactly are you tying your toe ties?

I am not sure exactly. I go through the front then back holes then tie.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

Isn't the equipment still made by Reebok, though?

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Isn't the equipment still made by Reebok, though?

I'm not sure whether Goalie Monkey bought the Koho name, or just leased it from Reebok.

There are two lines of Koho equipment that were created after Reebok bought out CCM Hockey (which included Koho, Jofa, CCM and probably some others).

The Koho 700 Series was created and designed by the people at Goalie Monkey and produced overseas. It's alright, quality-wise.

AFAIK, they no longer make the 700 series because of the new, "true" Koho coming back:

The new Koho Revolution 586 (Sr.), 588 (Sr. Pro, made overseas) and 588 RPM (Sr. Pro, handmade by Lefevre) have been all been designed and approved by Lefevre.

The only differences between the 588 and 588 RPM are the country of origin; they (supposedly) use the exact same materials and processes, except one is built in Canada and the other is built somewhere in Asia.

These new pads are similar to the current Reebok Revoke/P3 pads, but have some changes.

The catcher has a slightly different break angle and, in my opinion, closes much better than the Premier 2.

The blocker is pretty much the exact same as the Premier 3 as far as I can tell. They may have slightly tweaked the position of your hand.

The pads have diverged the most from the Premier/Revoke line. That said though, Lefevre doesn't like to make many changes to his gear; just check out the changes from the P1 to P2 to P3/Revoke. Changes in the Koho pad include the addition of toe caps and knee rolls, plus I believe they only have one break below the knee like the Kohos of old. They are just as stiff as Reebok pads.

TL;DR: Current Koho pads are designed and built by Lefevre, who made the old Koho gear. Not many changes from the current Reebok gear, but they look totally rad. If you like Reebok gear, check these out.

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 6, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

parsleyc posted:

I'm not sure whether Goalie Monkey bought the Koho name, or just leased it from Reebok.

There are two lines of Koho equipment that were created after Reebok bought out CCM Hockey (which included Koho, Jofa, CCM and probably some others).

The Koho 700 Series was created and designed by the people at Goalie Monkey and produced overseas. It's alright, quality-wise.

AFAIK, they no longer make the 700 series because of the new, "true" Koho coming back:

The new Koho Revolution 586 (Sr.), 588 (Sr. Pro, made overseas) and 588 RPM (Sr. Pro, handmade by Lefevre) have been all been designed and approved by Lefevre.

The only differences between the 588 and 588 RPM are the country of origin; they (supposedly) use the exact same materials and processes, except one is built in Canada and the other is built somewhere in Asia.

These new pads are similar to the current Reebok Revoke/P3 pads, but have some changes.

The catcher has a slightly different break angle and, in my opinion, closes much better than the Premier 2.

The blocker is pretty much the exact same as the Premier 3 as far as I can tell. They may have slightly tweaked the position of your hand.

The pads have diverged the most from the Premier/Revoke line. That said though, Lefevre doesn't like to make many changes to his gear; just check out the changes from the P1 to P2 to P3/Revoke. Changes in the Koho pad include the addition of toe caps and knee rolls, plus I believe they only have one break below the knee like the Kohos of old. They are just as stiff as Reebok pads.

TL;DR: Current Koho pads are designed and built by Lefevre, who made the old Koho gear. Not many changes from the current Reebok gear, but they look totally rad. If you like Reebok gear, check these out.

Thanks for the information, it is cool to hear the Lefevre is still involved with the Koho gear. I know that NHL licensing fees aren't cheap, so someone, whether it is GM or Lefevre, is definitely putting a lot of money behind this gear. It's cool to see that one of the staple names in hockey equipment still lives on. Now if only Cooper would make a real comeback.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007
Carey Price is a badass.

http://video.thescore.com/watch/carey-prices-b-boy-stance

He's probably the only goalie that celebrates wins in a way that doesn't include your standard fist pumps.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I loving love Carey :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyDeXvruck

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Aniki posted:

Edit: On a related note, I've noticed that there are two types of butterfly slides for when you are already down on the ice. You can do the one big push or you can do 3-4 smaller pushes. Do you guys have any preference for which type of push you use and is there any situation where one type of push is favorable to the other? I know that in really quick plays, that 1 explosive push seems better, but would smaller pushes be favorable if you are following a shooter across the crease?

Small movements in situations like the one you mentioned where the guy was hacking away for 5-6 shots (or in following a shooter across the crease as you mentioned) are the type of places you want to employ short butterfly slides that only move you a foot or so. Using that doesn't get you too far but it lets you stay in complete control and square to the puck and doesn't open up many holes. Cross crease plays and plays where you have to cover a lot of ice in one quick motion are where you want to use the strong slide because that movement tends to open up bigger holes and it's more about just getting as much of your body in front of the shot as quickly possible than it is staying perfectly square with the play (though that's obviously ideal). Also, just think about if you were trying to stay with a guy going across the crease by making 1 giant push - he'd see you made that push and are sliding 4 feet off to the direction he was originally going, make a hard stop, wait for you to slide past and just put it into the empty net. Small, quick movements eliminate that as a possibility.

God drat I hate trying to articulate this poo poo without having a crease to physically plop down and show it instead of just trying to write it out.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I like tying my chesty into my pants so much that I put an elastic loop on my skater shoulder pads to tie my pants into.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Small movements in situations like the one you mentioned where the guy was hacking away for 5-6 shots (or in following a shooter across the crease as you mentioned) are the type of places you want to employ short butterfly slides that only move you a foot or so. Using that doesn't get you too far but it lets you stay in complete control and square to the puck and doesn't open up many holes. Cross crease plays and plays where you have to cover a lot of ice in one quick motion are where you want to use the strong slide because that movement tends to open up bigger holes and it's more about just getting as much of your body in front of the shot as quickly possible than it is staying perfectly square with the play (though that's obviously ideal). Also, just think about if you were trying to stay with a guy going across the crease by making 1 giant push - he'd see you made that push and are sliding 4 feet off to the direction he was originally going, make a hard stop, wait for you to slide past and just put it into the empty net. Small, quick movements eliminate that as a possibility.

God drat I hate trying to articulate this poo poo without having a crease to physically plop down and show it instead of just trying to write it out.

That makes perfect sense. I do actually run into problems where I'll slide too far and take myself out of the play, so I'll work on using the smaller slides in tight situations and see if I can use that to stay in the play. Then I'll save the bigger slides for plays where I need to get cross crease quickly to get my body in the front of the shot. I have a game on Saturday morning, so I'll try to work on that then.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

I like tying my chesty into my pants so much that I put an elastic loop on my skater shoulder pads to tie my pants into.

Even when you skate out, you can't escape being a goalie. Do you end up shooting left or right handed when you skate out?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Martytoof posted:

I loving love Carey :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyDeXvruck
I loving hate Carey :argh:

I did comment to my wife after the game "Don't worry honey, in another week or so he'll play bad for a game or two, the media will rip him to shreds and he'll fall apart and play awful."

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

Even when you skate out, you can't escape being a goalie. Do you end up shooting left or right handed when you skate out?
I know, right? I'm trying to integrate butterfly slides into my defensive game, but my shin pads just aren't rotating. :)

I shoot right when I skate out, left when I play goal. I think that's "normal." I always shot right growing up playing street hockey, seems much more natural to me. I shoot left playing goal because I catch left.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Same with me, but being a lefty, I actually should shoot right in net too, but it was easier to find regular gear at the local stores when I was younger.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Hilariously heart-breaking story time!

I've been busy and I would have posted this a long time ago, but this is my first real chance to get on the forum in a long time.

A few weeks back, the New York Rangers played a game in MSG against the Phoenix Coyotes. Ilya Bryzgalov was questionable the night before, as he had the flu. He woke up the day of the game and decided he was too sick to play. The Coyotes couldn't call up someone from the AHL fast enough to back-up Jason LaBarbera, so they had to resort to finding someone locally that could sit on the bench as the backup goalie for the Coyotes. One of the lesson teachers at the rink I go to happens to know the Coyotes' GM's son, so he was the first one they called. The GM asked if the lesson teacher knew any goalies, and he gave him the number of my goalie coach. The GM dials up my goalie coach, goalie coach checks his phone, doesn't recognize the number, and lets it go to voicemail. He later finds out what the call was about and calls them back, only to find that the Coyotes found someone else to fill in, a guy named Tom Fenton, who works at Manhattanville. Not only did my goalie coach miss out on being at ice level in MSG and the experience as a whole, but the NHL requires a contract for the one game just for putting a new name on the roster. The amount of cash he missed out on for not picking up his phone? Ten thousand dollars. $10,000. For not picking up his phone. Moral of the story? Pick up your loving phone!

/end story time

Anyway, just got back from a skate today with aforementioned lesson coach (the referrer) and David Thornton from Law and Order (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861513/) bought me coffee.

On topic time!

I'm the same as Gremlin; I should catch right, I do in baseball, but when I was younger, full right gear was hard to come by, so I learned to adapt to regular left catch. When I started as a skater, though, I shot both ways, just like I was able to switch-hit in baseball (insert gay joke here :haw:). Now, though, after many years of goaltending as left catch, I don't think I can even hold a right curve properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Same with me, but being a lefty, I actually should shoot right in net too, but it was easier to find regular gear at the local stores when I was younger.

If you catch with your left hand, then you technically use a left-handed or regular stick. If you catch with your right hand, then you use a full-right stick. I don't know, it's confusing.

• Locked thread