Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It differs per country/state, look it up for where you live. In the US you're pretty much fine as long as you're on public ground (even shooting into private property).

read this if you shoot in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also remember just to be nice and courteous.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Also remember just to be nice and courteous.
This only counts for cops. Rent-an-rear end in a top hat can get told to stick it.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

evil_bunnY posted:

It differs per country/state, look it up for where you live. In the US you're pretty much fine as long as you're on public ground (even shooting into private property).

read this if you shoot in the US

Yeah, that looks like a good thing to keep stuffed in your camera bag. I'm in the US, Florida to be specific.

Now that i think of it, it probably is private property. They have roads and sidewalks, but those might be maintained by them. So i guess it's a bit different than walking down a sidewalk and photographing some house to the side. Still going to try it, just going to go early in the morning which is a good way to avoid people. Never underestimate how much damage old white people can do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nameless Dread posted:

Never underestimate how much damage old white people can do.
Preaching to the choir.

Most (semi-)gated communities are private property. It's why they're allowed to gate them in the first place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

This only counts for cops. Rent-an-rear end in a top hat can get told to stick it.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Just because you CAN tell someone to stick it doesn't mean that's the most efficient way to go about what you're after.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Just because you CAN tell someone to stick it doesn't mean that's the most efficient way to go about what you're after.

Yeah, exactly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cops can always stick a disorderly/obstruction/resisting arrest charge on you, and it getting dropped won't get you out of lockup.

On public ground, rent-a-piggies can't do a goddamn thing to you.

There's no reason to antagonize anyone, and if you shoot for a living and need to get poo poo done sure, be nice and compliant. In my own time I've stood my ground every loving time, because those wannabe brown shirts on power trips need to be checked.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 8, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Cops can always stick a disorderly/obstruction/resisting arrest charge on you, and it getting dropped won't get you out of lockup.

On public ground, rent-a-piggies can't do a goddamn thing to you.

There's no reason to antagonize anyone, and if you shoot for a living and need to get poo poo done sure, be nice and compliant. In my own time I've stood my ground every loving time, because those wannabe brown shirts on power trips need to be checked.

oh yeah, nothing annoys me more that little people that have a little bit of power. But if you're going in and out of a place I'd rather be like "hey buddy I really appreciate that your job is to watch over this place but I only need another 2-3 minutes and I'd really take it as a huge favor that you're letting me do this and I won't bother you again" give 'em a verbal rimjob and be on your way rather than spending 20 minutes getting into a hostile interaction.

My secret fantasy is to get actual permits for location shoots just to brandish at people trying to make me move along.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Nameless Dread posted:

So, is there any good source for legality in regards to photography in public and private property? A lot of things i want to photograph are in places i'd have to trespass, which i do sometimes. But a lot of times i'm not sure if it's trespassing or illegal, or i get hassled by someone who thinks it is even when i'm clearly not.

Right now i want to photograph this trailer park for the elderly. The thing is that it's a "private community" with a couple signs about trespassing and loitering, but ostensibly no different than dozens of other communities in the area. I highly doubt anyone would care enough to do anything, but i still like to know where i stand and what to expect in case someone questions me.

Also it's really annoying to get hassled by cops every loving time you go outside with a big camera.

If it is private property, then they can ask you to leave.

If you shoot their property from public property, you are within your rights.

If you are shooting private property and ever want to sell it, you'll need a property release.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

oh yeah, nothing annoys me more that little people that have a little bit of power. But if you're going in and out of a place I'd rather be like "hey buddy I really appreciate that your job is to watch over this place but I only need another 2-3 minutes and I'd really take it as a huge favor that you're letting me do this and I won't bother you again" give 'em a verbal rimjob and be on your way rather than spending 20 minutes getting into a hostile interaction.
But that's positive reinforcement :smith:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Here's a dumb question.

While trying to figure out what's wrong with my otherwise mint Canon AV-1 (for those curious or maybe in the know, why does the light meter needle shoot to the top as soon as I press the shutter half way and doesn't respond to a change in lighting conditions, rendering the aperture priority camera useless?), I was playing around with my FD lenses (two 50mm, one 28mm, one 200mm) when I realized I don't understand what the second pin (to the left below) is used for.

When locked in to the right, it makes the viewfinder go dark (at smaller apertures) and bright (and larger apertures). What is this used for?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is it a DoF preview? I have seen them on cameras but not on lenses, what you are describing sounds like it though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Manual aperture control for stop-down metering.

When it's locked, you're changing the aperture as you turn the aperture ring, instead of telling it what to set the aperture to when you release the shutter. Smaller aperture lets less light in, so it's darker.

edit-- oh, yeah, DOF preview too

mystes
May 31, 2006

nemoulette posted:

Here's a dumb question.

While trying to figure out what's wrong with my otherwise mint Canon AV-1 (for those curious or maybe in the know, why does the light meter needle shoot to the top as soon as I press the shutter half way and doesn't respond to a change in lighting conditions, rendering the aperture priority camera useless?), I was playing around with my FD lenses (two 50mm, one 28mm, one 200mm) when I realized I don't understand what the second pin (to the left below) is used for.

When locked in to the right, it makes the viewfinder go dark (at smaller apertures) and bright (and larger apertures). What is this used for?
So it can be used with cameras that don't support automatic aperture control by either being unable to trigger the diaphragm on shutter release or requiring stopping down to meter? (I don't know about the FD mount specifically, old cameras in general, or basically photography at all, so I could be wrong.)

Edit: Argh, beaten.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 9, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Manual aperture control for stop-down metering.

When it's locked, you're changing the aperture as you turn the aperture ring, instead of telling it what to set the aperture to when you release the shutter. Smaller aperture lets less light in, so it's darker.
That makes sense. I don't get the use for it though, what is the functional difference between of the aperture being set when you press the shutter versus looking through the viewfinder before? So you won't under/overexpose?

If I only I could figure out what's wrong with the meter, I want to use this baby so bad.

(sorry for the big image, don't know how to remove image attachments)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

widunder fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 9, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's also used, as others said, for depth of field preview. Manually stopping down the aperture will show everything that will be in focus as actually being in focus.

But also, the function is for use with older cameras that may not be able to meter correctly unless it's manually stopped-down.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nemoulette posted:

That makes sense. I don't get the use for it though, what is the functional difference between of the aperture being set when you press the shutter versus looking through the viewfinder before? So you won't under/overexpose?
So the lens doesn't stop down until exposure. What's commonly known as automatic aperture control.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Thanks guys!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

nemoulette posted:

Also it's much eaiser to focus with a nice bright fiewfinder, and at the largest aperture opening the subject will snap into focus well, then when it's time to take the picture the camera will stop down for you and allow you to get all your DOF.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Have you got new batteries in the AV-1? Batteries that put out the wrong voltage will lead to weird meter readings, as will old batteries (which put out unpredictable and weird voltages). Also check the battery terminals inside the camera (if you can), a bit of corrosion (sometimes shows up as pale-green and rust-like) in the wrong place will mess with the meter, too.

widunder
May 2, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Have you got new batteries in the AV-1? Batteries that put out the wrong voltage will lead to weird meter readings, as will old batteries (which put out unpredictable and weird voltages). Also check the battery terminals inside the camera (if you can), a bit of corrosion (sometimes shows up as pale-green and rust-like) in the wrong place will mess with the meter, too.
Yeah 4LR44 6v Alkaline that seems fresh (meaning it works fine in my shutter-jammed other AV-1). I don't have the balls to take it apart so I guess this one's going back to the seller. :smith:

widunder fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So after getting into a photography rut and kicking myself out of it by shooting three rolls on my Nishika, I've decided I want a film camera because I like it for snapshots.

Obviously I'm considering getting a Pentax ME or ME Super, but are there any other cameras in the <$100 price range that I should be looking at? Bonus points if it's easy to get lenses for them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Aren't most older film slrs much, much less than 100 bucks nowadays? The lenses should be cheap too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

change my name posted:

Aren't most older film slrs much, much less than 100 bucks nowadays? The lenses should be cheap too.

Yeah, most of them seem to be, I just don't want anyone recommending a Hasselblad or anything.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Check out the minolta super T. I have one with a 58/1.4 and 135/2.8 that I found at my grandpa's house that I like.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

HookShot posted:

Yeah, most of them seem to be, I just don't want anyone recommending a Hasselblad or anything.

Get whatever can mount lenses you already have. I'm a fan of canon FD stuff to keep "brand synergy" with my other gear, the AE-1 is a classic but i love my Nikon FM2 as well. It's really pretty unfortunate that a lot of the cheap EOS film bodies kind of suck.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 14, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell from my semi-inept handling of various 80's-era SLRs, the differences are pretty minor and mostly come down to personal preferences and shooting style (and battery requirements). I learned basic photography on a Minolta X-700, so I tend to shoot in aperture priority rather than shutter priority; the Canons of that era, such as the AE-1, have shutter priority. Of course, you can always shoot in manual unless you get a "consumer" model, like the Pentax ME (non-super).

Google any camera that shows up on your local Kijiji (you're in Calgary, right HookShot?), between Wikipedia, Camerapedia, and various enthusiast sites you'll be able to figure out which features are available.

Watch out for idiots who don't realize that paying $500 for a camera in 1984 in no way is justification for asking $400 for that camera in 2012.

Something with a little extra, like a non-kit lens or a nice bag, is probably worth holding out for. The AE-1 I sent around the world (it's currently stuck in New York, but I'm optimistic it will get moving again soon) cost me $100 and came with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (which is a very nice lens, in my opinion) in addition to the two primes, and a very fine aluminum case. Sometimes you can get a few rolls of (expired) film on a deal, too.

Keywords I use when browsing my local Kijiji:
Pentax
Canon FD (omit the FD and you'll get endless ads for 5-10-year old digitals)
Konica
Minolta
Yashica
Contax
Film

I like to try common misspellings, too, you can find some interesting deals by looking for "Pantax" or "Minotla" or "Cannon"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

As far as I can tell from my semi-inept handling of various 80's-era SLRs, the differences are pretty minor and mostly come down to personal preferences and shooting style (and battery requirements). I learned basic photography on a Minolta X-700, so I tend to shoot in aperture priority rather than shutter priority; the Canons of that era, such as the AE-1, have shutter priority. Of course, you can always shoot in manual unless you get a "consumer" model, like the Pentax ME (non-super).

Google any camera that shows up on your local Kijiji (you're in Calgary, right HookShot?), between Wikipedia, Camerapedia, and various enthusiast sites you'll be able to figure out which features are available.

Watch out for idiots who don't realize that paying $500 for a camera in 1984 in no way is justification for asking $400 for that camera in 2012.

Something with a little extra, like a non-kit lens or a nice bag, is probably worth holding out for. The AE-1 I sent around the world (it's currently stuck in New York, but I'm optimistic it will get moving again soon) cost me $100 and came with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (which is a very nice lens, in my opinion) in addition to the two primes, and a very fine aluminum case. Sometimes you can get a few rolls of (expired) film on a deal, too.

Pentax
Konica
Minolta
Yashica
Contax
Film

I like to try common misspellings, too, you can find some interesting deals by looking for "Pantax" or "Minotla" or "Cannon"

Cool, thanks for this! Kijiji is definitely my local, I'm in the Vancouver area. I'll have a look there for sure and try and find something I like!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Do most people shooting full manual also shoot with manual white balance? Or does it not really matter that much because of the capabilities of post processing?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

slardel posted:

Do most people shooting full manual also shoot with manual white balance? Or does it not really matter that much because of the capabilities of post processing?

I do. If I'm outdoors under sunlight I'll usually have my WB at around 5600K, if indoors or outdoors at night under artificial light around 3200K. These make pretty good starting points so there's less work to do in post WB related. If it can be done in-camera, why not?

Another advantage of manual WB is that if you're shooting a series of photos all your shots' WB will match. If you have it set on auto, it could vary from shot to shot, which would mean more time in post making them all match.

Although I guess it probably doesn't matter too much if one does it or not (if shooting raw of course). It's entirely probable I only do it as a leftover from my film days because it's what I'm used to.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ExecuDork posted:

Pentax
Konica
Minolta
Yashica
Contax
Film

Going to throw another suggestion in there for the x700. I know I post about it a lot, but it's really cheap and not actually a terrible camera!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

That 70s Shirt posted:

I do. If I'm outdoors under sunlight I'll usually have my WB at around 5600K, if indoors or outdoors at night under artificial light around 3200K. These make pretty good starting points so there's less work to do in post WB related. If it can be done in-camera, why not?

Another advantage of manual WB is that if you're shooting a series of photos all your shots' WB will match. If you have it set on auto, it could vary from shot to shot, which would mean more time in post making them all match.

Although I guess it probably doesn't matter too much if one does it or not (if shooting raw of course). It's entirely probable I only do it as a leftover from my film days because it's what I'm used to.

I usually just set it to auto in camera and change it all to whatever I want in post. Chances are I'll probably change it anyway even if I set it to something in camera, and it's as easy as copy-paste to change them all in lightroom.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

HookShot posted:

So after getting into a photography rut and kicking myself out of it by shooting three rolls on my Nishika, I've decided I want a film camera because I like it for snapshots.

Obviously I'm considering getting a Pentax ME or ME Super, but are there any other cameras in the <$100 price range that I should be looking at? Bonus points if it's easy to get lenses for them.

Just filling in for Mr Despair here: ME Super is all you need.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys!

And yeah, I always shoot auto white balance. I'm lazy, I can fix it in post, and I always forget what direction the different symbols make the white balance go because I'm a dumbass.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HookShot posted:

Thanks for the advice guys!

And yeah, I always shoot auto white balance. I'm lazy, I can fix it in post, and I always forget what direction the different symbols make the white balance go because I'm a dumbass.

Just be careful shooting auto white balance under tungsten lights some cameras use the white balance setting to adjust the meter. This can lead to over exposure of the red channel under tungsten.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
1. How do I get rid of shots like this, where everything close to the sky is overexposed?

I suppose I could try HDR, but that's not always possible. Maybe there is no solution. I currently have a Canon EOS 500D/ EOS Rebel T1i which does not feature the new HDR Backlight Control of the new EOS 650/ Rebel T4i.

Does anyone have the new Canon and could tell me how useful this feature really is (and its usefulness without a tripod)? Thank you so much.

2. On a recent trip I was constantly switching between the Canon 55-250 IS and the 18-55 (I think) Kit lens (I'm on a budget). This was tiresome and I found this on Amazon: Sigma 18-250 mm F3,5-6,3 DC OS HSM. Would buying this be a good idea? Thanks again!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

1. How do I get rid of shots like this, where everything close to the sky is overexposed?

I suppose I could try HDR, but that's not always possible. Maybe there is no solution. I currently have a Canon EOS 500D/ EOS Rebel T1i which does not feature the new HDR Backlight Control of the new EOS 650/ Rebel T4i.

Does anyone have the new Canon and could tell me how useful this feature really is (and its usefulness without a tripod)? Thank you so much.

Option 1)

under expose to get the sky exposed properly, use post processing to up the exposure in the ground (doesn;t work very well)

2) Bracket your shots: combine correctly-exposed sky and correctly exposed ground in Photoshop. Works well, even without a tripod, as you don't have to align the 2 perfectly.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
A polarizing filter might help some with the sky. There's not a whole lot you can do in-camera.

I had a Tamron 18-270, similar to that Sigma. It was alright. About as good as the Canon kit lenses you have. I eventually got sick of the mushiness when pixel peeping and switched over to a set of primes. Constantly changing lenses is annoying though. Most people who buy super zooms end up changing eventually as they get more serious about photography. Super zooms aren't well regarded in the Dorkroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HookShot posted:

I can't recommend the Nikon FM2 enough. It's light, gives you full manual control, it'll fire without a battery and meters up to 6400. Old Nikon AI lenses are built like tanks and joy to use. They'll work on newer DSLRs as well. That said, you can't really go wrong with most semi pro or pro 70's era SLRs. Just make sure you get something with a split prism viewfinder if you go down the SLR route.

There are also a lot of fantastically built rangefinders from the late 60s that will give you a bit of a different experience from shooting a DSLR that you might be looking for. I usually look for deals first and then research the camera to see if it's something I want. It's very possible to get a fantastic film body for under $30.