Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

onezero posted:

Yeah, SN #s are in the hands of SPD now. Going to be trolling the Sea-Tac craigslist for a shot in the dark as well.

I've had http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ thrown out as a recommendation to. Worth a shot, I guess.

Gear was on a bookshelf next to my desk in my main kitchen/living area. I live in a one bedroom, groundlevel, recessed from street, and I tend to keep the shades closed when I'm not around, but it's not terribly hard to sneak a peek inside. In hindsight, clearly could have been ways to conceal my gear better, but it's just not something I really considered much.

gently caress dude. Sorry to hear about that, especially from someone local. Mind if I ask what neighborhood you live in?

Not having renters/homeowners insurance really blows. Not to add insult to injury, but as a tip to other goons who might fall into the same situation, but when I first got renters insurance I did it through my auto insurance company. Turns out they had a 10% discount if you had multiple policies with them and due to the super cheap nature of renters insurance I actually ended up paying less for both policies than I was for just an auto policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

anabatica posted:

Besides, it turns the wrong way, doesn't it? I thought the standard thing to do when shooting portrait was to rotate the camera counter-clockwise, not clockwise.

...or do I just do it weird?

e: no nevermind, I looked at more of the pictures and the idea is you don't rotate the camera at all

I rotate the camera clockwise when I shoot portrait. Counter-clockwise puts your hand on top and leaves only one hand to stabilize the camera. It also feels very awkward, but maybe I am the strange one!

\/\/\/ When you fold your hands does the left one naturally go on top or is it the right one? This may be important!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 5, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

I rotate the camera clockwise when I shoot portrait. Counter-clockwise puts your hand on top and leaves only one hand to stabilize the camera. It also feels very awkward, but maybe I am the strange one!

I turn counter-clockwise, mostly because of my right wrist. I don't like the angle that clockwise forces.. it feels really awkward.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

poopinmymouth posted:

Thanks guys. I think it's ultimately going to be more hassle than it's worth. Oh well.

This looks like crap, but it's really cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOREO-Perspective-Control-LENS-CAP-SLR-Cameras-/390311570157?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5ae061eaed

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

\/\/\/ When you fold your hands does the left one naturally go on top or is it the right one? This may be important!

Doesn't clockwise mean your nose is kind of in the way? Unless you use your left eye for the viewfinder...

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

I turn counter-clockwise, mostly because of my right wrist. I don't like the angle that clockwise forces.. it feels really awkward.
Same here. Right wrist on top, i.e. counter-clockwise.

Also I don't care about the form factor but I really want electronic shutters. Slow x-sync speeds due to mechanical limitations seems so 19th century.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Same here. Right wrist on top, i.e. counter-clockwise.

Also I don't care about the form factor but I really want electronic shutters. Slow x-sync speeds due to mechanical limitations seems so 19th century.

NIkon uses electronic shutters in some of their DSLRs, I know the D40 will sync at 1/500 and I think the mechanical shutter tops out at 1/250 or 1/500 so everything above that sounds identical.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Doesn't clockwise mean your nose is kind of in the way? Unless you use your left eye for the viewfinder...

Shooting with extreme left eye dominance :downsgun:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I don't really care for this blog but I found an awesome picture :

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I hope that suit's a rental

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Haggins posted:

TL;DR: X-rite has an Online Color Challenge where you can test how well you see color. I scored 23 drunk at 3am on a laptop screen. Gonna try again sober on a calibrated monitor to see if I do any better.

Late, but I have just done this - got a score of 11 initially, and then tilted my laptops screen slightly which showed the hues off much more obviously, getting me a perfect score.

I wonder which test rang with more truth?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This is it, I'm living the dream. I'm quitting my finance job and freelancing with my photography at the end of the month. I'm partnering up with a few other photographers in the area to make it all happen. I'm terrified.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is it, I'm living the dream. I'm quitting my finance job and freelancing with my photography at the end of the month. I'm partnering up with a few other photographers in the area to make it all happen. I'm terrified.

Good luck!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Oh poo poo, 100%? Congrats buddy. I've got a spare couch and ramen for when your wife inevitably kicks your bum rear end out. :)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Fantastic. Are you guys going to create a business and all work together gathering clients and covering events and all that jazz?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Depending on how the next 8-10 months go, I might end up on Bobthecow's couch.

I'm going to do partnerships with as many people as I can get and be confident that I can market hard enough to create a ton of business. Underlying everything, I am a very mediocre artist, but I love it too much not to immerse myself in it. There are much more talented people out there that I want to help succeed. In that model, I hope to also succeed.

It's a now or never kind of mindset for me and failure doesn't deter me. It's the true work hard American dream kind of stuff. If I do crash and burn, I'll write up a trip report so that others may know my idiocy.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Depending on how the next 8-10 months go, I might end up on Bobthecow's couch.

I'm going to do partnerships with as many people as I can get and be confident that I can market hard enough to create a ton of business. Underlying everything, I am a very mediocre artist, but I love it too much not to immerse myself in it. There are much more talented people out there that I want to help succeed. In that model, I hope to also succeed.

Best of luck to you! Does your wife have a job that would allow you guys to maintain health insurance while you're out on your own?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
My Dad started his own company on my Mom's kitchen table, then it moved to his parents basement which was when he quit his job. Then he rented a storefront and my mom quit her job to help run it. Then they ended up growing and being quite wealthy for middle class americans, and we're even surviving the recession while still making profits, paying bills, and eating healthy. He built this small empire by working 100 hour weeks and sacrificing a lot of time. But it paid off.

Seeing as you really love the arts and photography, I have no doubt you'll make it work, just keep on keepin' on. My brother is a fantastic, naturally talented musician, but he has no work ethic and not a lot of drive. There are way less talented musicians making money and getting shows because they work hard at it, while he's still playing (kick rear end) music in my parents bonus room above the garage.

I've seen you're pictures and you're skilled and knowledgeable, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, and I wish you the best. The only advice I have is that when you start to get discouraged keep the long term goal in your mind, and know that the sacrifices now will pay off later.

Sorry that got kind of long.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is awesome. Work your rear end off and make it happen.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Got my e-ttl II cord today from flash zebra, with a note attached!

IMG_9670.jpg by charlieroch, on Flickr

Not as good as robots on the box, but not bad. I think I'm gonna email them and ask if they'll make me an e-ttl II cord that's straight and 7-8 feet long.

EDIT:

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

HELL YES. Best of luck, man. I'm heading into a finance job as I wrap up university, but I hope to gradually grow photography income to either seriously supplement or replace my income.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is it possible to daisy-chain several ETTL-II cords together to make one really really long one? I dunno, for science?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is it possible to daisy-chain several ETTL-II cords together to make one really really long one? I dunno, for science?

Maybe, but it's easier to just splice an ethernet cable into one for length.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yeah, you can do that.

I figure if they'll make me one that 7-8 feet for $40, I'll get plenty of value from it.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

:stare: It didn't become real to me until I saw this post. Holy hell we are going to be homeless.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Congratulations and best of luck! Don't forget to find an accountant and lawyer.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Awesome! That's a huge step, I hope you do well.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Definitely, good luck! I'm moving to NYC soon and jumping into the "real world" and photography so I'm pretty terrified too, although I think it's slightly more acceptable to be a starving artist at my time in life. Scary, but I'd rather be doing this than anything else and I guess that's what's important, right? :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
The crazy mix of chemicals in my brain is dizzying. I am definitely prepared to work my rear end off. I just got my hair cut and began asking my hair stylist for referrals point blank, one of the other stylists is getting married in Sept. I'm going back next week to try and get the business. It's go time!

I also could not have made this decision without Dorkroom, you guys are the best.

nonanone posted:

Scary, but I'd rather be doing this than anything else and I guess that's what's important, right? :)

Your stuff is way better than mine, you'll kill it in NY. I couldn't take the big city on quite yet.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

You put out stuff that is of a higher quality than what the average paying joe expects (in my experience) and you've improved in massive leaps in a really short time, way more than I could ever hope to. You're going to kick its rear end! Dude, I'm seriously holding thumbs for you, it's a brave move and you have what it takes.

Luck, in all its goodly goodness.

Kaleem

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IYahsPK2k

Dude takes over than 41 seconds to compose a shot with a Leica, can't figure out why he keeps underexposing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rawrr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IYahsPK2k

Dude takes over than 41 seconds to compose a shot with a Leica, can't figure out why he keeps underexposing.

Oh, that is beautiful.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Charmmi posted:

:stare: It didn't become real to me until I saw this post. Holy hell we are going to be homeless.

Homeless, but for a short time, and later thoroughly awesome. Livin' the dream is the goal! Good luck, and keep us posted here, please.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The crazy mix of chemicals in my brain is dizzying. I am definitely prepared to work my rear end off. I just got my hair cut and began asking my hair stylist for referrals point blank, one of the other stylists is getting married in Sept. I'm going back next week to try and get the business. It's go time!

I also could not have made this decision without Dorkroom, you guys are the best.

Your stuff is way better than mine, you'll kill it in NY. I couldn't take the big city on quite yet.

Good luck. If you ever need someone to yell 'boostraps' at you from the standpoint of a stable non-pro photog life, give me a shout.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/world/middleeast/07photo.html?_r=1

Chris Hondros, the photjournalist killed in Libya last month, took a photo of a 5 year old Iraqi girl during the war in 2005.
Apparently she saw the picture for the first time last week.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Did anyone else see thor and get irritated by the loving wonky horizons and stuff? Really did my head in and I don't know why.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

A5H posted:

Did anyone else see thor and get irritated by the loving wonky horizons and stuff? Really did my head in and I don't know why.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have actually heard others complain about the excessive dutch angles. So you are not alone. I will probably see it this weekend.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A5H posted:

YES.

But I think it bothered me because I think it's corny and associate it with lovely TV shows, not because of anything to do with photography. It's just a cheap way to make a banal shot appear interesting, but with a budget like Thor had they really shouldn't have needed camera tricks to do that.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Battlefield Earth, a horrible horrible movie, uses dutch angles to the extreme. It's like every other shot. However, I highly recommend the Rifftrax version of it with a case of beer.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So a Jewish newspaper photo shopped Clinton out of a photo because she's a woman. Pretty decent 'shop job though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...JbVYG_blog.html

So where does religious bias fall on the journalism scale?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So a Jewish newspaper photo shopped Clinton out of a photo because she's a woman. Pretty decent 'shop job though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...JbVYG_blog.html

So where does religious bias fall on the journalism scale?

I'm guessing they aren't so much a "newspaper" as they are a religious rag if they have that prehistoric of a view on women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
It is worth noting that as an orthodox paper they never publish any photographs of women, and those sorts of publications routinely and openly crop or blur women out of photos.