Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Gaunab posted:

I remember the dub completely taking the piss out of it which made it pretty funny.

Was this an 'abridged' dub or an official one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Oh yeah I understand what you're going for; saying that from Samurai Jack to Gumball there was nothing to watch is a huge generalization. I just speak up about KND and Billy and Mandy because it seemed like they were carrying CN for a while while they experimented with live action programming. I feel the same way about Ben 10 too. Also I get Billy is supposed to be borderline retarded but it was just too much.

The whole setup for Billy and Mandy seems like a genre parody. I mean it's the basic dumb but good natured boy and smart and stern girl form a friendship with a magical being thing but everything is just pushed really far where the boy is pretty much retarded, the girl is evil incarnate and the mythical creature is literally the Grim Reaper. The show did really well when it played up the dark and ridiculous nature of the whole thing but faltered when it just went through the motions of any such show.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Billy and Mandy felt like Invader Zim made more palatable to people who aren't 13 year old goths, and it ended up pretty good

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Junior Jr. posted:

The official dub turned a played straight anime about card games into one where they said poo poo like "So why do you like card games so much -Main Character-?" then panned to him slowly and had him take an overdramatic voice "Because... I know one day... childrens card games will be the key to saving the world."

It was an official dub that turned it into an abridged series, tone wise.

Edit: I thought Billy and Mandy and KND were both too gross (too many fart/booger/poop jokes) for me, but they were hugely popular when I was a kid? I mean I'm one of the younger SA posters that I know, I was 7 when KND aired and 12 when it ended, and around the same for Billy and Mandy. So yeah, kids actually loved it. I was there when kids would talk about new episodes at school and stuff.

And even some Billy and Mandy episodes were pretty funny to me, I'd watch them sometimes. Mostly ones where Billy wasn't around much.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 21, 2015

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wish there were more attempts at joke dubs.

I remember seeing a random episode of Beyblade and the bad guy summons a giant robot, then show did a lot of pan overs to make the robot more menacing and all it ends up doing is shooting a top to fight the good guy's top and no one really questions it. There's joke potential there.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Junior Jr. posted:

everyone in my class were busy playing with Bakugan

Wait, wait, wait. Bakugan had rules? I'd watch episodes at, like, 7 AM on Cartoon Network after getting home from taking my wife to work and I could not see a bit of consistency to that game. Although, I assume the actual game pieces don't transform into big monsters and talk.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

El Tortuga posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Bakugan had rules? I'd watch episodes at, like, 7 AM on Cartoon Network after getting home from taking my wife to work and I could not see a bit of consistency to that game. Although, I assume the actual game pieces don't transform into big monsters and talk.

There wasn't really much to Bakugan, it was pretty much just buying toys that shot balls through their chests. You'd have more fun playing with marbles instead of playing with Bakugan.

But then again, I have a little fuzzy memory about them, although I couldn't care less.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think Bakugan's rule book was mostly about how it was the only non ghibli "anime" allowed on UK TV for like five years.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
There's not a lot of anime on UK TV, only Canadian, French, or Austrailian cartoons. I can think of a handful already.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junior Jr. posted:

It was "official" so far as it was the one used to air on TV, but IIRC they just threw out the original script and made up their own based on what it looked like the characters could be saying. It was fantastic, at least until they started taking themselves seriously.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I remember the dub completely taking the piss out of it which made it pretty funny.

I keep meaning to watch that to see if it's funny but keep forgetting to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I distinctly remember one line from that series:

Main Character: "Can't you see my Triangular Eyes of Determination?"
Nerd: "Actually they're more Trapezoidal..."

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Junior Jr. posted:

There wasn't really much to Bakugan, it was pretty much just buying toys that shot balls through their chests. You'd have more fun playing with marbles instead of playing with Bakugan.

But then again, I have a little fuzzy memory about them, although I couldn't care less.

That was B-daman. Which was funny until the reboot.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Rudoku posted:

That was B-daman. Which was funny until the reboot.

You're right, it was B-Daman. I know they had a cartoon around 2006 or 2008. But yeah all the toys did was make a mess in my school, I think we played them for about a couple of months before we got bored.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wish there were more attempts at joke dubs.

I remember seeing a random episode of Beyblade and the bad guy summons a giant robot, then show did a lot of pan overs to make the robot more menacing and all it ends up doing is shooting a top to fight the good guy's top and no one really questions it. There's joke potential there.

This show was loving insane to watch before going to work. I remember there was some Italian announcer that would yell different food names after something happened. "Jingas bey has just toppled his opponent. Lasagna!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anime made to sell toys can be pretty funny. The B-Daman anime is basically kids playing with robots that shoot marbles, instead of giant robots that shoot power orbs or something. Tenkai Knights do not hide the fact that the robots you see on screen are CGI versions of the actual toys; you can see the ball joints and everything. If you watch Transformers Cybertron, you can probably transform the actual toys without instructions since the various transformation sequences are very toy-accurate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Beyblade was amazing. The premise is the stupidest thing there ever was, and they run with it like it's totally normal, and it acts just like a normal kids adventure story. One kid who's really great at spinning his top forms a top rivalry with another kid, but eventually they put their differences aside to join a team together and win the world championship of top spinning. Also when you spin your top hard enough an ancient monster is summoned to wreck the other top.

The MSJ posted:

Anime made to sell toys can be pretty funny.

Hell, back in the 80s, something like 60% of the popular cartoons were created wholely to sell toys. GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Transformers, He-Man, Dino Riders...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like were they sentient? Could you just buy one? Surely someone here knows

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just curious, is there a discussion thread were goons talk about toys and action figures from the 80's, 90's and such?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a transformers thread and an action figures thread in BSS, and so far as I know the Transformers thread is open to vintage stuff.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember the original Beyblade being goofy as hell, but fun. The one that was running when Duel Masters was on I couldn't stand though, partially because some of the voices were just ludicrously bad. I couldn't even stand to listen to them long enough to marvel at how bad they were.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So is Star vs. the Forces of Evil supposed to be Disney's answer to Steven Universe the way Wander over Yonder is Adventure Time's opposite number?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Harvey Beaks seems like a pretty good woodland's Chowder, even though it maybe a pinch too serious with the ending to Spitting Tree. I mean, it's no where near as bad as Adventure Time or Regular Show can repetitively get, but right now it's charming and I hope that's where it stays.

And yeah, Duel Masters was one of those shows where the dub team gave it the Samurai Pizza Cats treatment and it was glorious.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 9, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cartoon Network's burning off the last episodes of Clarence right now, right? It's a good show, shame it had to end so early because Skyler Page is a nasty man.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair, they aired it for a lot longer than I'da given credit CN for given the circumstances.

Edit: if burning the show off is what they're doing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They're continuing it without Skyler last I heard.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Clarence isn't being burned; they just did a Stevenbomb-esque weeklong of premieres and then it's business as usual.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I have to say these new episodes are fantastic. The goldfish one is super entertaining.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They gave it another season. They just named the new performer for Clarence. I think it's the head writer who first complained that Page was lazy, right before he went nuts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

axleblaze posted:

They're continuing it without Skyler last I heard.
That's good, I just assumed it was dead because usually Cartoon Network plays multiple new episodes of a show in a row when they're about to officially kill it. It would have been a shame to lose a good show because of the actions of its creator.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
When they kill it, they air those episodes at 3:00 AM without advertising them beforehand.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clarence is very funny

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

SlothfulCobra posted:

Beyblade was amazing. The premise is the stupidest thing there ever was, and they run with it like it's totally normal, and it acts just like a normal kids adventure story. One kid who's really great at spinning his top forms a top rivalry with another kid, but eventually they put their differences aside to join a team together and win the world championship of top spinning. Also when you spin your top hard enough an ancient monster is summoned to wreck the other top.

Hell, back in the 80s, something like 60% of the popular cartoons were created wholely to sell toys. GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Transformers, He-Man, Dino Riders...

I watched like an episode or two of one of the newer seasons and the new secret tech for that season is to before the match is to take your top and put it onto the top part of someone else's top AND BAM THEY HAVE THE COMBINED POWERS OF BOTH TOPS. Also, I think like the dumb rival who invented this super secret tech dickishly says "you're not ready to handle this ADVANCED top" to his brother who wants to use the combinining Beyblade.

Then like the next episode it turns out the beyblade villians are also capable of figuring out that if you combine two beyblades you get a cool top that has the combined powers of both beyblades.

Beyblade is pretty dummmb.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad to have learned that the englishdub guys played it as a joke

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I just watched (Clarencebomb?) and I was rolling in the aisles after "Turtle Hats"! This show has been the replacement dark horse for SU after Stevenbomb, but I think that Clarence can stand tall with the rest of the great cartoons these days.

On a side note, I never really noticed Rothbell take over for Page. To me, however, Clarence is Clarence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What the gently caress are Clarencebomb and Stevenbomb?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

What the gently caress are Clarencebomb and Stevenbomb?

Stevenbomb is when CN showed a new Steven Universe a day for a week. Clarencebomb is when they did the same thing for Clarence.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Think of it as a reverse Gravity Falls blue balling.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clarence is great, but the most recent episodes seem to be getting more surreal, which I don't care for as much. I thought maybe it was because of the guy who got replaced, but he has a credit on the one with the dog. The moments I like the best are when the show is being honest about how weird and insane children are and how mundane the events, environments, and concerns of childhood are in contrast to that. I hope they can keep things grounded in that weirdly timeless quasi-early-90s world they've built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Clarance is a very uneven show for me. Sometimes it really is great and it all works really well to capture something about childhood. At other times ot feels just a little too mean or gross for my tastes, which I guess is still accurate to the childhood experience but I still don't really enjoy it as much.