Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Getting back to tactics for a moment here:

Mukaikubo posted:

O-kay. Tentative recommendation is that we Accept the duel to try to play for time. If the Banshee then moves to 1323, it'll break LOS with the Cobra and maybe buy us another turn if everyone else stays out of sight of wherever that B2 is going to move. That'd mean L4 staying where it is, and us other three sticking to our vertical road and waiting for someone to come through that top passageway at us.

I think we (or I guess I since I'm the Banshee pilot) should accept it as well. It is a medium mech challenging an assault after all. It's their funeral if they want to be that ballsy. Thing is though, accepting the duel and then ducking out of sight might enrage them a bit, or they might think we'd be setting up a trap (which we could very well be doing depending on how this goes).

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It's not often I feel the need to disrespect the omnissiah or the guy who brought us 'mech propaganda, but...

You guys can shove that noise.

Advanced Tactical Missiles and Hyper-Assault Gauss cannons are the best loving things ever. You have impugned their honor and manliness, and I now feel the need to cleanse that stain by inventing a variant MadCat that uses both a HAG-40 and an ATM-12.

And hey, DI? When are you gonna make another 'mech propaganda piece. I want you to do the Firefly! Bonus points if you do it while listneing to Firefly!

The thing is, the ATM would be good if it was IS gear. It would be really good. But Clan LRMs, along with the Clan Large Pulse, cER PPC and cER Medium, are so good that they are pretty much unbalanced. There's no real point in using anything but those four weapons other than funsies.

Also re:mech propaganda/advertisements, my next stop is ComStar and I think it will be money. Does ComStar make the Firefly?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 25, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

KnoxZone posted:

You are sorely tempting me to do do this contest again. I shall refrain, however, so somebody else can enjoy such a remarkable game.

You mean like the poor bastards who are playing in the thread that you already screwed over once?

Hey, PTN, can we have a contest for "mess with the course of a starting or ongoing match" that doesn't revolve around making a video or playing a godawful video game? Maybe fanfiction or fluff stuff production or something?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'll think about that. I'm really just doing these with fun (and option ED is a joke. If anyone tries to choose it their fighter will get shot down pretty much immediately. 2nd Donegal Guards have air superiority :colbert: )

Plus, I'd have no idea what sort of fanfiction contest I'd run except maybe to challenge someone to Let's Read "Far Country" which I was going to do myself until I realized I burned my copy about ten minutes after I finished it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Angry_Ed posted:

Getting back to tactics for a moment here:

I think we (or I guess I since I'm the Banshee pilot) should accept it as well. It is a medium mech challenging an assault after all. It's their funeral if they want to be that ballsy. Thing is though, accepting the duel and then ducking out of sight might enrage them a bit, or they might think we'd be setting up a trap (which we could very well be doing depending on how this goes).

IIRC, he just couldn't STAY there- it would just be to buy us one more turn. Sticking to the L1 ridge you're on and moving up like I outlined in the FIRE EVERYTHING plan would also work for fireworks this turn if you feel lucky about a piloting roll.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Defiance Industries posted:

The thing is, the ATM would be good if it was IS gear. It would be really good. But Clan LRMs, along with the Clan Large Pulse, cER PPC and cER Medium, are so good that they are pretty much unbalanced. There's no real point in using anything but those four weapons other than funsies.

There's no denying that CLRMs, especially with Artemis IV FCS's, are very, very powerful.

But ATMs are really great too. ERATMs give you a long-range option. ATMs give you SRM damage at ISLRM ranges, and HEATMs give you a short range option to gently caress someone right the gently caress up.

And HAG-40s? They're just loving godlike at super-long ranges, and they get even worse up close. The only advantage LRMs have over them is indirect fire. And Clanners don't use IDF anyway. :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fanfiction contest? Let me break out "Rudiger Steiner and the Lyran Irregulars versus the Galactic Crime Society."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

IIRC, he just couldn't STAY there- it would just be to buy us one more turn. Sticking to the L1 ridge you're on and moving up like I outlined in the FIRE EVERYTHING plan would also work for fireworks this turn if you feel lucky about a piloting roll.

Well I wasn't expecting to stand still either. I guess ultimately even if I'd still be in cover I'd still be moving forward in acceptance.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll think about that. I'm really just doing these with fun (and option ED is a joke. If anyone tries to choose it their fighter will get shot down pretty much immediately. 2nd Donegal Guards have air superiority :colbert: )

Plus, I'd have no idea what sort of fanfiction contest I'd run except maybe to challenge someone to Let's Read "Far Country" which I was going to do myself until I realized I burned my copy about ten minutes after I finished it.

Well you could just go with a pie eating contest instead. That seems completely fair and impartial.

And delicious.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Well I wasn't expecting to stand still either. I guess ultimately even if I'd still be in cover I'd still be moving forward in acceptance.

Yeah, this would be my recommendation. For justification, I mean, if the clanner calls us on it.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Also re:mech propaganda/advertisements, my next stop is ComStar and I think it will be money. Does ComStar make the Firefly?

I see no reason they wouldn't have continued to produce it after they seized Terra. It's a really good 30-tonner.

It was originally produced by Earthwerks Incorporated, though, and served in the SLDF. You could do a propaganda piece for back then - convincing the SLDF to purchase the Firefly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I see no reason they wouldn't have continued to produce it after they seized Terra. It's a really good 30-tonner.

It was originally produced by Earthwerks Incorporated, though, and served in the SLDF. You could do a propaganda piece for back then - convincing the SLDF to purchase the Firefly.

I could put it on the list. Next, though, is ComStar since we may be playing as them after the Unwearied Second shocks the galaxy.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the 2nd Donegal Guards still have air superiority, how did the Clan's dropships land? How did their drop-pods land as anything but debries? And why aren't bombing runs being called continiously on these schmucks?

MST3K Manta

Okay, I'm better now.

quote:

Contests which require someone to either pay money or resort to :filez: are a bit mean, Poptarts. :(

Besides, I don't think Borders is open at 11 at night, if they'd even have it.

I was thinking more like giving us an initial set-up and challenging us to write you-like stuff to fit the scenario with the characters in question, or maybe stuff like Defiance is doing with his fluff propaganda pieces.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Let's Play Battletech: Mission 3!

This video has me with a few questions: Has the Lyran Commonwealth in this reality invented the spike yet? Do the Donegal Guards have any on hand? This video has shown that the clans are dreadfully weak to spikes and I think placing a few on the civilian buildings would be a good strategic option. No ice though, the Donegal Guards will have to rely on good old fashioned charges or pushes.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sir, your proposed challenge intrigues me, and I am willing to subject myself to the pain for science and amusement.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

This video has me with a few questions: Has the Lyran Commonwealth in this reality invented the spike yet? Do the Donegal Guards have any on hand? This video has shown that the clans are dreadfully weak to spikes and I think placing a few on the civilian buildings would be a good strategic option. No ice though, the Donegal Guards will have to rely on good old fashioned charges or pushes.

In the main timeline the technology to make pointy pieces of metal and put them on things was recovered in 3045 when Caesar Steiner and his son Reinhardt accidentally came upon a cache of 40k poo poo and realized that you could put spikes on ANYTHING.

Thus he must escape, no matter what.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

In the main timeline the technology to make pointy pieces of metal and put them on things was recovered in 3045 when Caesar Steiner and his son Reinhardt accidentally came upon a cache of 40k poo poo and realized that you could put spikes on ANYTHING.

Thus he must escape, no matter what.
And thus was born the Caesar MBT, more commonly known as "the Scourge of the Clans".

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
You neglected to change the skills of the UberCorporal piloting the wolfhound. Don't make this another Grand Dragon.

Also: Would a clan aero attacking someone engaged in a duel permit reprisal under Zellbrigen? I think it would be hilarious for some medium lasers to piddle at the banshee, then the clanner the Major is fighting gets a perfectly legal AC-20 to the back.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^^ It would, but the reprisal can only be launched at the offending unit (in this case, the fighter).

And yes, "Air Superiority" is relative. Omnifighters are nowhere near as effective as Omnimechs, so the Clan advantage is greatly reduced in the air. The Donegal Guards have more fighters, but just because you have superiority doesn't mean you have total control of the sky.

Also, y'know... Arrow IV missiles, pulse lasers, and targeting computers really make fighters cry.

Arquinsiel posted:

And thus was born the Caesar MBT, more commonly known as "the Scourge of the Clans".

With its amazing ability to hold about eight guys and not have any weaponry, the Clans were indeed terrified of it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 25, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eight is one more than a normal platoon. It changes the entire mechanized infantry game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seven is a normal squad size, 21 per platoon normally.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, just mixed the two up. Either way carrying eight instead of seven AND being covered in spikes?

Ffffffffff

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

Angry_Ed, I have been requested to clarify this; the other choice I am talking about here would be running to hex 1421 and firing pretty much everything you have at him. You'd have a pretty decent to hit since that would put you in short range with your PPCs, and you would probably be able to do a serious amount of damage to the battle cobra- but you'd be really, really overheated. It's your choice on whether you want to start things out with a bang or hiding behind the building, but be aware that if you move into cover you may not have an easy time next round getting outside your PPCs' minimum range for firing. But it will gain us at least one extra round out of the 20 we need. I make no demands, just point out options I think might be viable.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Somebody has to stay and park the thing.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^^ It would, but the reprisal can only be launched at the offending unit (in this case, the fighter).

And yes, "Air Superiority" is relative. Omnifighters are nowhere near as effective as Omnimechs, so the Clan advantage is greatly reduced in the air. The Donegal Guards have more fighters, but just because you have superiority doesn't mean you have total control of the sky.

Also, y'know... Arrow IV missiles, pulse lasers, and targeting computers really make fighters cry.

With its amazing ability to hold about eight guys and not have any weaponry, the Clans were indeed terrified of it.

I don't think you understand. If you try to shoot it the bullets/missiles/lasers will just hit the spikes and...nothing! It's an unstopable killing machine!

Edit: On a more serious note, starting some fires might draw this out a bit, if PTN wants to handle that kind of bookkeeping.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 25, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That tank actually has two bolters on it, they're just hard to make out since it's not really painted beyond the "drybrush red" stage and... ye know.... spikes.

Mukaikubo posted:

Angry_Ed, I have been requested to clarify this; the other choice I am talking about here would be running to hex 1421 and firing pretty much everything you have at him. You'd have a pretty decent to hit since that would put you in short range with your PPCs, and you would probably be able to do a serious amount of damage to the battle cobra- but you'd be really, really overheated. It's your choice on whether you want to start things out with a bang or hiding behind the building, but be aware that if you move into cover you may not have an easy time next round getting outside your PPCs' minimum range for firing. But it will gain us at least one extra round out of the 20 we need. I make no demands, just point out options I think might be viable.
I would actually reccommend firing no more than the PPC and the AC for the first turn or so, until the numbers get better. May as well try fool them into thinking you're not the awesome Banshee.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I would actually reccommend firing no more than the PPC and the AC for the first turn or so, until the numbers get better. May as well try fool them into thinking you're not the awesome Banshee.

Not sure how useful that is; the battle cobra is going to still be dueling him and probably not holding anything back given a 50 ton weight disparity, and the worst that can plausibly happen is that the biggest of their mechs wants to challenge the best of ours. Not so bad.

Also- dammit raverrn you are ruining my surprise! :v: :neckbeard: :v:

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Hey PoptartsNinga! However you want to do it, I recommend keeping the challenge bonuses. They give great audience participation and spices up the time between updates. The prizes are fantastic; the ability to nudge the game in the direction you desire can not be understated. And who knows? Maybe such obvious interference will calm some of the "my side is unreasonably unlucky" comments. Please, please keep the challenges for the Sega Battletech and put some thought into other sources of challenges. Feel free to be as empirical or subjective as you wish.

Here are some ideas:
-Run Megamek games that award for killing your mech or, for your teammates, whomever runs the most interference for you.
-Mech design competitions
-Clan-speak Bingo
-Mech betting (one-on-one match-ups with the award going to the person who most correctly guesses the run of the battle. Match preplayed to ensure a lack of bias)

Sky's the limit!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bonus Update 3

Hey there, everyone! Are you ready for more bonus content? I know I am!

Let's Play Battletech: Mission 3!

Wow. What rear end in a top hat ice sections.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

The odds for hitting with the ppcs are pretty good since the Banshee can get inside their short range bracket. Not so much with the other weapons but with 20 shots of AC ammo you might as well fire a shot off every turn.

It might be a good idea to conserve heat for a better shot. Because of the chokepoint the clanner can only really run forward or stay still to avoid breaking zellbrigen, both of which are good for the banshee.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Personal recommendation: humor the clan 'mech for now but move the other IS 'mechs (and tank) into a support position that's as hidden from the tree line as possible. If more than one more clan 'mech moves into a support position or if more duels get called, start blasting the Cobra like it crawled into your baby's crib.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm not entirely sure I want to do that though because of the heat curve and also because of the piloting roll necessary to do the running. Starting off things with a bang is a good idea but there's a lot running against it and I'd rather not risk sending the Banshee skidding across the pavement because I was too eager to engage.

But you have brought up a good point about the minimum PPC range problem I could run into, maybe it is worth taking the chance then.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 25, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That was quite the Raocow imitation you have there, Poptarts.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

That was quite the Raocow imitation you have there, Poptarts.

A terrible one, yeah. It's what I get for just going stream-of-consciousness with my commentary. Battletech for the Sega Genesis doesn't really deserve my (or anyone else's) best effort.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okay, I gotta ask. Is Colonel Rossi sharing a surname with a Clan Nova Cat founder relevant in any way considering they aren't involved in the invasion?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

^ Funny, I was thinking that it was a shout out to Criminal Minds.

And if you're not gonna do the Firefly for ComStar, what are you gonna do for them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Okay, I gotta ask. Is Colonel Rossi sharing a surname with a Clan Nova Cat founder relevant in any way considering they aren't involved in the invasion?

Rossi =/= Rosse

So no, it's unrelated. His first name is Aldo, that doesn't make him Aldo Lestrade either. It was just a semi-Italian name that I felt was Steiner-appropriate. Then again, I could've called him Winston Kashiwagi if I'd wanted; the only name that would've been out of place is 'Kurita'.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 25, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, I checked my 3050 TROs and apparently it was the Dragoons who brought the design back to the Sphere, so it's kinda out. Instead, I'm thinking maybe the Excalibur or the Flashman.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Well, I checked my 3050 TROs and apparently it was the Dragoons who brought the design back to the Sphere, so it's kinda out. Instead, I'm thinking maybe the Excalibur or the Flashman.

The Excalibur is the first mech I think of when I think of the ComGuards. I endorse this mech wholly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok I've thought it over and barring any loud objections I'm leaning now towards accepting the duel but using Mukaikubo's idea of running to hex 1421 and opening fire on the Battle Cobra. I know there's the risk involved of falling on the pavement but if I do what I was originally planning it pretty much takes my PPCs out of the fight because the Cobra would be able to close within minimum range.

I don't think I'm going to alpha-strike it though.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread