Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You can also use your loop buttons to get a cued track in sync, I do it all the time when I know I have 4/8/16 bars to spare. I mean I'm a 'bad DJ' in the sense that I'll also just rock the faders up and press play on the downbeat, no tapping cue, when I know things are ready to go. But sometimes if I'm not sure, I'll start a track 4/8/16 bars early and get it in time, then hit the 'loop end' button at the actual insertion point while bringing up the fader.

Naturally, this only really works if you're using Quantize. And you have to remember to immediately turn the loop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Somehow I never really considered that was an option! I totally get what you’re describing. That’s a pretty rad way to get everything ticking along now that I think about it.

If I’m honest I’ve really stayed away from the top half of my CDJs for quite a while, outside of cue calls. The 2000s were fairly simple up top and now I think visually I’m just overwhelmed by options :haw:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

some kinda jackal posted:

I looked up how to do a spinback and tried it and then immediately said "ok maybe let's not worry about trying to learn this right now" :stonk:

I'm not sure how I made something that simple sound that bad. It was impressive, actually.
Don't worry about the spin back! The best way to do it is to turn the volume fader down a bit while spinning obnoxiously and then slamming into the next song. If you can get an echo on it works better. Best used to cover up mistakes

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think the most important things I've learned in recent years is just how to cover up your mistakes with grace. Using fx to get out of a bad situation, Using an accidental clang to just build tension real quick before switching over, chop tracks back and forth so you can get them in time without people hearing, etc. I was real inspired by an interview with DJ Bone where he said he would practice mixing by having his cousin gently caress with the turntables while he was mixing like bumping them, turning one off, making a record skip, etc so he could practice fixing things on the fly.

Being perfect is expected nowadays but you can definitely tell more experienced djs from newbies by how they mix out of mistakes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Finally got my hands on a copy of L&M's Gear Issue. The spread they put my article in is way bigger than I thought it'd be - between the article itself and the gear they asked me to recommend as an addendum, it's actually two spreads.

I've got to get at least one more copy to give to the photographer who took the shots

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s killer, man! Congrats! :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So obviously Pioneer said not to upgrade to Sonoma until they can version-check rekordbox but I'm never one to listen.

I upgraded my main Mac to Sonoma and now my CDJ-3000s get an F010-CANNOT PLAY TRACK error when using wifi pro dj link off of the new rekordbox (also released today) so if pro dj link is something you rely on definitely do NOT upgrade to Sonoma just yet.

e: I updated my main mac, not my older dedicated rekordbox laptop. I'm not that dumb :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 26, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mister Speaker posted:

Finally got my hands on a copy of L&M's Gear Issue. The spread they put my article in is way bigger than I thought it'd be - between the article itself and the gear they asked me to recommend as an addendum, it's actually two spreads.

I've got to get at least one more copy to give to the photographer who took the shots

sick, congrats dude

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

:nice: That's awesome!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

turntable chat... I need to replace an AT LP 120 that died on me, actually I've bought like 6 of them in the past and let them go for one reason or another. Is it time to get into a Technics 1200 or is there anything better for cheaper really?

use case is
- home listening
- sampling
- ripping to wav
- occasionally may lug it along to have some vinyl out at a local "show"

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
unless you have an urge to do scratch routines i don't know if you can justify 1000+ dollars on a turntable

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yep, i'm not a turntablist really, no scratching. I like the speed controls. I'm open to something more home-theater-y with auto returns and belt drive and stuff. really want to get a nice neutral output for ripping. the technics strikes me as a 'buy it for life' type turntable and thats definitely what I'm after this time around

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Reloop 7000 mk2s are decent. All the super OEMs are really, its just the reloops have some neat features (extra start/stop button for battle mode, wide pitch options, removable cables) and are at a good price point. Ive only had mine for 4 or 5 years but they've been solid and ive had no issues

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Yeah, reloop is a really good option and what I was going to suggest. They have a menu of like,10 different turntables with various features and price points. Also the Pioneer PLX series is decent as well. They had two versions but not sure if the cheaper one got dropped.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm considering an all in one system in the pioneer space (would be moving away from NI), but it sure is hard to decide between the RX3, XZ, and Opus. Neither of the three are really... perfect? They all have weird limitations, at the same time, they seem like they might all do what I want, but when you're spending $2k>, it would be nice to have the perfect fit.

The XZ is a '4 deck' layout but the hardware cant handle deck switching, so it's only 4 decks if you... add on more units.

The RX3 is, of course is limited to 2 decks which is.. not ideal. It's also dated, but otherwise it seems like it mmicks a club setup well enough.

And the Opus, is just an entirely different design, but has many improvements that would be welcome. It's unclear just how bad the custom database format is, or is not, I've heard it's not a big deal to a deal breaker. I've never used rekordbox so... idk

Main goal here is to get away from the laptop, and move to usb sticks. I want something at home that I can plug in and go, without having to move my computers around and poo poo, and then can take those same sticks and plug in anywhere. I've been spending hundreds of hours this year revising how my entire music library is laid out, to better support DJing, it seems like this is the next step.

Up till now, I've only thrown my own events and I'd like to get into playing out, at bars, maybe even clubs. My network is growing rapidly post-covid, and I think I could get bookings.

Money isnt really an issue (although, no, I am not going to drop $10k for CDJ3000's and a nice mixer at home, even though I do throw events from home it's a ridiculous sum of money) , as long as it's the right fit, which is the tough point. More research necessary...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

No interest in denon?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The RX3 is also newer than the XZ and will have a noticeably improved screen/software experience. I wouldn't call it dated at least in that sense. But you're right, there's not a great all-in-one Pioneer option if your goal is something similar to a 4 channel DJM/CDJ setup where you can do 4 decks in device. The Opus is the closest to what you want out of the options, but what you actually want is probably an XZ2 if/when that is ever released and assuming they actually add deck switching.

e: and yeah, the Denon Prime 4 (or Prime 4+ now?) addresses all the downfalls of the XZ other than it not being Pioneer

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 16, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

**I have not played on those 3 specific units so.. grain of salt ect...**

If you won't be using the unit outside the home (or rarely) then I think the best bet would be the XZ; you'll get the pioneer experience w/ sticks and layout/workflow but have access to those 3rd/4th decks at home if you need them. I think it would train best for a club style setup. Maybe paired with a xdj700 down the road for total independence from computer?

I cannot get over the aesthetics of the Opus [esp the cue/play buttons with the front edge] but it really does do it all, not a bad choice, and prolly the most "future proof" [pure speculation]

The RX3 I would put last on your list but I have an RX2 I still use for small gigs - it's so nice to have an all in one for those types of quick gigs.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
It hadn't occurred to me earlier to keep an eye out for a used XDJ-1000 and use it with the XZ.

The more I read into this/my use case/what i want, it seems like the XZ is the way to go.

Virgil Vox posted:

If you won't be using the unit outside the home (or rarely) then I think the best bet would be the XZ; you'll get the pioneer experience w/ sticks and layout/workflow but have access to those 3rd/4th decks at home if you need them. I think it would train best for a club style setup. Maybe paired with a xdj700 down the road for total independence from computer?

Yeah, so... at home for events/practice/streaming, and ideally it is mobile enough that I would use it for my events at other homes (4-5 a year?), and at outdoor events (3-4 a year). I'm starting to pull in other DJs for some of these events and it would be nice for them to show up with a usb stick and be ready to go.

The XZ weighs in at 30lb, which doesn't seem unreasonable (although almost 3x my Traktor S3mk3)

(and yeah.. I know that the software is going to be a huge downgrade from traktor pro 3 -> anything else, but I think I've accepted that, but I'm looking to get more away from the software, so...)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

miztronic this is pnly $500...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I knew I wasn't alone in absolutely loathing the look of the Opus Quad. The curved front just looks so wrong, and makes the Cue/Play buttons look lopsided. Idk what they were thinking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, for sure I couldn't figure out what the heck they were thinking. It doesn't fit with any of their design language either. I certainly hope it's a one-off and not the shape of things to come, pun intended.

For anyone who's a DS9 fan, the Opus looks like it belongs on a Cardassian mining station. Dukat dropping his latest album: Beats to subjugate Bajoran workers.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I think they’re targeting high end bars / wedding djs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

For anyone who's a DS9 fan, the Opus looks like it belongs on a Cardassian mining station. Dukat dropping his latest album: Beats to subjugate Bajoran workers.

LMAO I knew there was something familiar about the colour palette, that's great.

Shameless plug: That thing I mentioned about Metric Modulation, doing it manually to affect a tempo change in a mix? I pulled it off in OPS vol. 31. It's right near the end.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

titty_baby_ posted:

miztronic this is pnly $500...

I appreciate the recs for the cheap gear but I’ve been djing for 20 years at this point (god drat…) and I’m a successful engineer. I’ve done my time of using Gemini hardware for a looong time. I also wanna reiterate my use case above and part of that rules out non-pioneer. I can afford the gear level I’ve always wanted so… imma get it finally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heck, all this time I just assumed the XZ had a virtual deck3/4.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Heck, all this time I just assumed the XZ had a virtual deck3/4.

It does, but only with a laptop. It’s a limit on the processing power. The opus can do four digital decks. Probably the XZ2 will too.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

*cough* https://www.denondj.com/prime-4-plus.html *cough*

If you can cope with not Pioneer, then this should be in the mix of what you are looking at. Does everything you want. And does Stems without a laptop.

Edit: I'm not sure which bit of your requirements rules out non-pioneer. Engine OS will happily use the rekordbox library on a usb stick.

ledge fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mitztronic posted:

I appreciate the recs for the cheap gear but I’ve been djing for 20 years at this point (god drat…) and I’m a successful engineer. I’ve done my time of using Gemini hardware for a looong time. I also wanna reiterate my use case above and part of that rules out non-pioneer. I can afford the gear level I’ve always wanted so… imma get it finally.

The Gemini was a joke. That model was the first cdj/mixer I ever owned and it was an absolute piece of poo poo. I ended up leaving it at a friend's house and dodging his attempts to return it to me

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

lol

Might be usable if you're throwing events that you expect things seized or ruined

[I still have my 626]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still haven't sold my 2000s but only because I've been too lazy to drive down to long-mcquade to see what they'll trade them in at.

Shoot me in the face if I have to sell these on craigslist/kijiji. Dealing with hagglers is the worst.

Reverb might be an option I suppose. I'm actually really surprised how expensive base CDJ2000s still are given they're a decade and a half old at this point.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

People willing to pay that $$$ for being able to use their exported usbs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bet you can get a pretty penny for the 2ks. People call us asking to rent them all the time and we basically just laugh at them. Apparently the 3ks are not well-liked, I've heard a couple of people complain about the build quality and express interest in renting _my_ set of 2ks instead.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Yep, 2000's are still $$$ on aftermarket sites. Hell I saw a CDJ-900 pair for $1400 (IIRC). Insane.

Back when I was on CDJ-200s, I got mine used for $500, kept them for 4? years, and sold them for $500.

Circling around options over here... the only thing about the XZ I'm not stoked about is stacked waveforms, I'd rather have them split, above each media player. But that isn't worth the cost increase or wait time to get XDJ-1000mk2s, and then a pricey mixer ($2500 vs $5200, lol), and then on top, it would be a pain to rig everything up at the mobile events I do (luckily, a 30 lb unit isn't a huge deal for the events I do, given I'm also lugging out a 40lb subwoofer and speakers, etc). That was a huge plus for the XZ, it wouldnt add any additional setup time over my Traktor S4mk3.

Probably going to end up being an XZ. I haven't bought used gear in a long time, but it seems like a lot of bedroom DJs are selling their XZs right now. Might be the right call do pick one up, and then resell it whenever the XZ2 comes out in 2-3 years if I want to upgrade.

There is a part of me that wants the $5000 XDJ setup. That poo poo is dope. I just don't think it's worth 5 grand at the end of the day.

edit: just for fun

RX3: $2100
XZ: $2500
2xXDJ-1000mk2 + A9: $5200
2xCDJ-3000 + A9: $7800

I've axed the opus quad. Probably going to give the RX3 another assessment and go from there. I do use 3 channels pretty often, and last year I did a couple sets that needed 4 channel, but lets be honest, most people can get by with 2 channels, myself included, and be just fine... so maybe this is the route for me. RX3 for a few years and then resell/upgrade if something better comes along with more channels. Something tells me I'm going to end up on the XZ.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 17, 2023

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Turns out my friend owns an XZ, but it lives at a bar, so I'm going to go check it out before I pull the trigger.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I'll probably swing around to L&M soon to offload the 2000s just because I have some bike repair bills coming up, it's just a matter of overcoming inertia of doing... nothing.

I've never handled NXS2s so I can't comment on the comparison but I'm in awe if the build quality is actually better. I do wish they had the beat grid vs the moving grid. I find the alignment grid makes me a little lazy and I match visually primarily and audibly second sometimes. I gather the beatgrid helps you understand where you are but it's still up to you to audibly micro tune the sync.

I mean not to my detriment or anything, I can do it audibly and I know when it sounds off and how to correct it near instantly, it just kind of mentally irks me when I catch myself lining up the two lines for simplicity rather than listening to the phase.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's a good budget and entry level 2CH mixer? Or are they basically all the same until you get to some pricepoint?

I decided to pay it forward and give my buddy a massive friends deal on the 2000s because they expressed an interest in DJing AND I'd rather they go to someone I know AND I'll have someone local to practice, spin, and talk shop with (sorry Speaker, getting to Toronto just too much of a hassle :P).

I think I'm going to show them volume mixing so it would be COOL if the fader was thru-able but worst case they'll just have to remember to keep it centered. That said, I really don't want them to have to spend a ton to get into it and they're already guilting me into taking ANY money vs just gifting it outright so that's why I'm looking for no frills budget.

Right now I'm thinking something like the Numark M6? 4CH is overkill but I can't find a 2CH equivalent with fader assign/thru.

I'm also scouring kijiji/fbmarket for older pioneer stuff but I'm not counting on any deals.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 20, 2023

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

I think I'm going to show them volume mixing so it would be COOL if the fader was thru-able but worst case they'll just have to remember to keep it centered.

As part of my trash DJ aesthetic, I regularly have two narrow strips of gaffer tape chaperoning my crossfader.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The numark is fine. Idk, thrus not that big a deal of you can adjust the crossfader curve. Ive got my eclers crossfader set to where it does nothing until you're almost all the way over.

Could also look for older used mixers. You might find a vestax or something with more bells and whistles for a good price

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Someone made a phoshop of what I was thinking: