Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lots of pullups should do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Seconding that tummy time isn't about arm strength. I'd try and wait just a little on the jumper too. You know what's great for babies that hate being on their tummies? Getting carted around in a wrap or baby carrier. I found the Ergo especially comfortable, but ymmv. Kosta's physical therapist was thrilled that we used one, because it helps those little necks get a workout and helps with getting a rounder head shape, since they're not flat. You can also put him on your chest; they usually like that better than being flat on the floor too.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Seconding that tummy time isn't about arm strength. I'd try and wait just a little on the jumper too. You know what's great for babies that hate being on their tummies? Getting carted around in a wrap or baby carrier. I found the Ergo especially comfortable, but ymmv. Kosta's physical therapist was thrilled that we used one, because it helps those little necks get a workout and helps with getting a rounder head shape, since they're not flat. You can also put him on your chest; they usually like that better than being flat on the floor too.

edit: Your 2.5 month old isn't about to crawl, this is all part of development. You don't want him crawling now anyways, trust me.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
For tummy time, we lay the boppy on a blanket on the floor and place him on it on his stomach. He doesn't enjoy it for very long, but it helps him with his neck control. Aside from that, if I'm lying down I'll place him on his stomach on my chest. He'll sort of push himself up and look around. He's getting better at supporting his head and will kick like he's trying to army-crawl. He's only 3 months old though, so actual crawling is still a while away. Don't worry, your baby sounds like he's developing as he should. :)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
My little dude is breastfeeding and he definitely seems to get unhappy if I eat dairy. I gather that's fairly common; does anyone have any good information on how long this is likely to last? Does it mean anything much about his response to cow's milk in the future?

It's kind of a bummer for me, since it seems like even fairly small amounts of cheese are ruled out, and anything cooked with cream.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
They don't wear shoes or walk so the socks don't really get dirty. We have more than 9 pair but I bet we use 3 or 4 pair total for our 2 month old.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I'd recommend getting a second sleep sack if you can, since they get spit up on. But that's plenty of socks. Like Hdip says, they don't get dirty. I find that my son (like my daughter before him) just magically ejects socks from his feet and I can't keep them on him more than five minutes anyway.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Lullabee posted:

How many socks do you guys say you need? We bought clothes second hand and were given some (since he's going to grow out of them so quickly), and it was basically just a grab bag of things. So far, we've got: 43 footed pjs/outfits, 12 hats, 50 pants, 10 gowns, 1 sleep sack, 1 fuzzy snow suit, 23 shirts, 62 onesies, 3 jackets, 9 socks, 6 mittens and 21 bibs. They mostly range newborn to 6 months, with a few bigger sizes. I figured we should be okay on almost everything but socks - what do you guys think?

We've got tons of blankets, both fuzzy and receiving, and wash clothes. Everyone (but the doctor) keeps telling me they've got a feeling he's going to be making an appearance in mid January, so I just want to be prepared.

Holy poo poo, 50 pants. Definitely get at minimum 3 sleep sacks, so one's on him, one in the wash, and one just in case for when you inevitably forget to run the washer or dryer. 9 pairs of socks will be fine. He'll only wear them when he's in "real clothes" instead of footed outfits, so that depends on your personal preferences of how to dress a baby. We kept ours in footies when he was little except for dressing up for church, but other people dress their babies in real clothes for everyday cuteness.

edit: what about swaddlers? If you're still looking to get something, I found them invaluable. Kosta kicked the bottom right out of receiving blanket swaddles.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 21, 2017

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'd say at least 3 of each again for the swaddlers too, but that's just me. Those and sleep sacks are really hard to find used where I am, because they get used so very hard by each baby, especially the velcro on velcro swaddlers, so don't be worried if you can't find them :) Bamzilla always says the new swaddlepods are amazing too because the baby can't kick the bottom out!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, we never really used socks during the newborn stage because every outfit was footed. I think I actually only used about 3 pair. However, you can use socks over their hands if you don't have mittens so there is that to think about if your baby is a giant scratch monster.

I think at this point (4 months 3 weeks) we still only have 4 pairs of socks.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Wow I'm jealous of your clothes stash! I have a month old and I agree that you only need a handful of socks (unless you are like me and like to coordinate with the outfit). However, I've found that socks are tricky. Too small and they leave marks on my daughters legs, too big and she kicks them off. Footie pjs and pants are much more useful.

Also, in the very beginning its easier to use kimono type onesies and shirts until you get the hang of putting clothes on over the head. Or zip-up/snap outfits.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We barely use clothes on our newborn at all (4 weeks in). I'd rather have 10 swaddling blankets than 10 onesies. I also think onesies in general are terrible; I would much much rather have pants and a shirt because they're a million times easier to put on. But in general I have found clothes to be a complete afterthought. Blankets, diaper covers, towels, and wipes/washclothes are what we've been flying through.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

My little dude is breastfeeding and he definitely seems to get unhappy if I eat dairy. I gather that's fairly common; does anyone have any good information on how long this is likely to last? Does it mean anything much about his response to cow's milk in the future?

It's kind of a bummer for me, since it seems like even fairly small amounts of cheese are ruled out, and anything cooked with cream.

A close friend had a baby with a dairy intolerance. She had to eliminate it totally from her diet, including weird milk derivatives in ingredient lists of foods you wouldn't expect. She had to stick with it until he was 9 months old. Her ped told her to try to re-incorporate it into her diet and see how he did and it was fine. He also could eat it himself just fine too after that. She's currently pregnant with baby #2 and has said that based on her research, subsequent children have a 70% chance of having the same issues, so she's going to go dairy free again from the start because her first kid was SO miserable until they figured out what the problem was.

Hit the MSPI (milk-soy protein intolerance) link on http://refluxrebels.com to see how to check for those ingredients and other tips.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Chickalicious posted:

A close friend had a baby with a dairy intolerance. She had to eliminate it totally from her diet, including weird milk derivatives in ingredient lists of foods you wouldn't expect. She had to stick with it until he was 9 months old. Her ped told her to try to re-incorporate it into her diet and see how he did and it was fine. He also could eat it himself just fine too after that. She's currently pregnant with baby #2 and has said that based on her research, subsequent children have a 70% chance of having the same issues, so she's going to go dairy free again from the start because her first kid was SO miserable until they figured out what the problem was.

Hit the MSPI (milk-soy protein intolerance) link on http://refluxrebels.com to see how to check for those ingredients and other tips.

Thank you! I'm seriously hoping that this will pass off quicker than nine months, but it's good to know that your friend's child was fine when she did eventually bring dairy back in. (I'm also somewhat hoping that I'm jumping to conclusions with the dairy thing, since food stuff is hard to figure out, but so fair knocking out dairy does seem to make him happier.) Thank you for the link, I'll be checking it out.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Whatever you end up using, you'll use a lot of and then completely ignore the stuff you don't like. I didn't really use pants at all, but like other people said, some really like them (I figured he had the rest of his life to wear pants.) I didn't really use socks a whole lot as a new baby, but I could see if I had a girl for the next one using those little lacey socks for dress up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Told a lot of our family this weekend-- my mom I'm afraid is soon going to shift into "crazy grandmother overdrive" mode.

Are there any good books or resources I can point her to that nicely convey "yes, I know you are excited about becoming a grandma after you have been nagging me about having kids for the past 8 years, but your daughter and her husband have their own ideas about how to care for and raise their child and you need to be supportive of that".

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sheri posted:

Told a lot of our family this weekend-- my mom I'm afraid is soon going to shift into "crazy grandmother overdrive" mode.

Are there any good books or resources I can point her to that nicely convey "yes, I know you are excited about becoming a grandma after you have been nagging me about having kids for the past 8 years, but your daughter and her husband have their own ideas about how to care for and raise their child and you need to be supportive of that".

Smile, nod, promptly ignore advice.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sheri posted:

I pretty much just said the words to her. Something along the lines of "I know that you're excited to be a grandma, but please remember that you are a GRANDMA. You made your parenting decisions, and I think based on how we turned out, that you made pretty good ones. Now please let me make mine, which may or may not be the same ones you made. You know that I am an intelligent, caring human being (after all, you raised me), so now it's time to let me take the lead." She needed some reminding from time to time (hell, he's 5 and she still occasionally needs reminding), but she does respect my choices.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Yep just be prepared to keep reminding her little by little. My mom is the best but sometimes needs reminding that its been 30 years since she's raised a kid. No, mom, you can't put her to sleep on her tummy yet. No, mom, I don't want a bumper on the crib. Hopefully your mom will be respectful of your wishes.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
So far both my in-laws and my mom have been very good about respecting boundaries (my husband and I are the parents, not them), but my mom was a little pushy while I was visiting her. My MIL called to tell me that my son was a bit congested. No fever or anything, but wanted to know if I wanted to make him an appointment with his pediatrician anyway. I made him an appointment, but my mom got upset and started saying that my MIL needed to take him to urgent care right away.

I gently but firmly told her that so far, he was just a little stuffed up. No coughing, no fever or anything, and if he did get a fever, they had infant Tylenol to give him. I told her that my MIL knew to take him to the ER or Urgent Care if he got any worse, but I wasn't going to have him waiting in a room full of sick kids to potentially get more ill if he didn't have to. She was a bit huffy, but dropped the subject.

Be firm but respectful and it should be okay.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Firm but respectful is the way I try to be, too. Unless you're actually soliciting advice, try not to give the impression that your parenting decisions are up for discussion, negotiation, or a freaking family vote. Family members think I'm a crazy hippie with my cloth diapering, breastfeeding past the first birthday, and my love for baby carriers, among other things. I'm getting ready to see pretty much every relative I have in about a week, and I'm trying to psych myself up for the usual family-members-judging-my-parenting nonsense. It makes me nuts that they talk about how awesome, sweet, and good-tempered my baby is, and then criticize everything that I do, as if the two things are totally unrelated.

The thing I find most frustrating is that any area of disagreement (for me and I mom, this ends up being cosleeping vs CIO in a crib) gets pointed to as the reason for any issues we're having at the moment (we've got sleep issues, most likely due to teething). If I'd just do it her way, then of course, I wouldn't be having this problem. :rolleyes:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can look at my history in this thread and see the issues I've had with my mom. She's been behaving since I had my baby surprisingly. I had to get pretty harsh and mean with her and basically tell her to knock off the psycho crap or she won't be a part of her grandson's life. She got over it and has been acting normal!

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007
Didn't think I would be posting here at this point in time... I really need to be able to talk to some other ladies that are probably going through or have gone through the same thing.

27 years old and not actively trying to conceive at the moment, but planning to start next spring/summer sometime. I'm going to get married in February, and currently in the process of trying to get a new job, so things are a little more stressful than they normally would be, but nothing too bad.

I was feeling a combination of tired and just generally strange the last few days, and even though tomorrow is when my period should start, I took a regular pregnancy test last night... well, I guess you know what the result is.

I'm feeling :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :3: :3: :3: :blush: :aaaaa: right now.

What now? I had problems with my ovaries in the past, plus my appendix ruptured a couple of years ago that left me with a few potential problems, so I think I want to try to head out to the doctor sometime this week to check everything out, but is it too soon to go? I don't know what to specifically talk to about the doctor.

Also, I am literally in the final stages of interviewing for a big advertising firm, so what do I do? Would I be in any sort of trouble if I accept the offer knowing now that I am most likely pregnant? (not in the US) What is the general opinion of beginning a new job while expecting?

I'm really happy and scared and everything and nothing all at once right now. Physically, I'm in good shape, and financially everything is alright- so I guess I feel this is a totally welcomed surprise.

I told my husband when he got home, and he says he is happy if we really are expecting and wants a child, so I am thankful for his support, but he he also thinks that the test could have been inaccurate(I had positive pregnancy test followed by a normal period that was suspected to be a chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage in late October.) He was like "Well, if you really are, then that would be wonderful." and left it at that.

I don't have anyone to talk to about right now, so I really appreciate having a place to write this down.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Congrats! You have absolutely no reason to disclose you are pregnant to any employers or potential employers. I would not if I was in your position, especially at this stage.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
False positives are very, very, very rare. You could certainly still have a situation like you did previously, but you're almost certainly pregnant.

Yes, don't tell any employers or potential employers. Even if you were 6 months in and huge, they'd still be doing super illegal things if they even tentatively asked about your pregnancy/impending maternity.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
No way, do not disclose! And not to be a downer, but something like 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, mostly in the first trimester, so it would be loving terrible if you sabotaged your chance at an awesome job and then didn't even get a baby to show for it.

Get that job, get the benefits, and have a baby, in that order.

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007
Yes mam! I'm going to make sure this works out in my favor. Get the job, get the guy, get the baby... in that order.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Cinderella posted:

Didn't think I would be posting here at this point in time... I really need to be able to talk to some other ladies that are probably going through or have gone through the same thing.

27 years old and not actively trying to conceive at the moment, but planning to start next spring/summer sometime. I'm going to get married in February, and currently in the process of trying to get a new job, so things are a little more stressful than they normally would be, but nothing too bad.

I was feeling a combination of tired and just generally strange the last few days, and even though tomorrow is when my period should start, I took a regular pregnancy test last night... well, I guess you know what the result is.

I'm feeling :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :3: :3: :3: :blush: :aaaaa: right now.

What now? I had problems with my ovaries in the past, plus my appendix ruptured a couple of years ago that left me with a few potential problems, so I think I want to try to head out to the doctor sometime this week to check everything out, but is it too soon to go? I don't know what to specifically talk to about the doctor.

Also, I am literally in the final stages of interviewing for a big advertising firm, so what do I do? Would I be in any sort of trouble if I accept the offer knowing now that I am most likely pregnant? (not in the US) What is the general opinion of beginning a new job while expecting?

I'm really happy and scared and everything and nothing all at once right now. Physically, I'm in good shape, and financially everything is alright- so I guess I feel this is a totally welcomed surprise.

I told my husband when he got home, and he says he is happy if we really are expecting and wants a child, so I am thankful for his support, but he he also thinks that the test could have been inaccurate(I had positive pregnancy test followed by a normal period that was suspected to be a chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage in late October.) He was like "Well, if you really are, then that would be wonderful." and left it at that.

I don't have anyone to talk to about right now, so I really appreciate having a place to write this down.

I am currently in the process of being fired solely because I am pregnant/complications from pregnancy. Pregnancy discrimination is still alive and well in America, so for the love of all, wait until it is absolutely necessary to disclose.

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007

Hastings posted:

I am currently in the process of being fired solely because I am pregnant/complications from pregnancy. Pregnancy discrimination is still alive and well in America, so for the love of all, wait until it is absolutely necessary to disclose.

I am so sorry to hear that! I'm actually in Japan right now, so I'm pretty nervous about what they would say. Women are expected to quit, or if they expect to come back then never expect a raise or promotion. :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My job was going to lay me off most likely because I was pregnant. We got a big project in about a month and a half before I was due. I am the only competent member on my team that can do/lead/innovate for it so they were willing not to lay me off when I asked. Didn't stop the CFO from being a dick about it (he's also sort of our hr person now) He was genuinely surprised I wouldn't be back to working full time a week after I had my baby.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I can't believe how much pregnancy still throws companies for a loop. This is a very common condition in humans, guys. Your employee has not grown a second head. (...Okay I guess technically they are growing a second head.)

I went in for a seven-week ultrasound today and the embryo had quadrupled in size and has a good heartbeat. The doctor said he thinks it's a keeper. :)

So soon I need to switch over from reproductive endocrinologist to OB, and a lot of the books are talking about interviewing multiple OBs to find one that suits you. Is that something that real people actually do? I could imagine leaving and finding another one if I can't deal with the first one, but planning to go to multiple first appointments just to interview them? :effort: Would insurance even pay for that?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The facility I go to has 9 different OB's/ Dr.'s

I know a couple already and I just plan to have a different doctor at each of my next appointments until I find one I like. The one I had at my 12 week appointment I didn't really click with and she strongly pushed me to do something I wasn't comfortable with (which I didn't do) even though she agreed it wasn't medically necessary.

So at my 16 week appointment I'll try a different one until I find one I like.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
My practice also has a bunch of doctors and while you can pick one, you get whatever one is on when you deliver. Which I don't particularly care for, but eh. Since things have been fine for me thus far I think I'll switch to seeing a midwife after my next visit.

I find out the sex on 1/17... eek!

Callisto
Feb 6, 2005
What The Shit?!

Seven for a Secret posted:

So soon I need to switch over from reproductive endocrinologist to OB, and a lot of the books are talking about interviewing multiple OBs to find one that suits you. Is that something that real people actually do? I could imagine leaving and finding another one if I can't deal with the first one, but planning to go to multiple first appointments just to interview them? :effort: Would insurance even pay for that?

My place has 4 different docs and you rotate through all of them to meet them and then whichever one is on call when you go into labor delivers your baby, so you can't pick one. There's another larger group in town that follows the same rules. I picked the smaller group that had more females than males based on personal preference and a slightly better reputation. So, might want to see how clinics in your city operate.

Also, I have a small rant. So, I thought my MIL was going to be great. I am having the only girl in the family and she's so excited. We have been planning on having her stay with us after the birth when my husband has to return to work to help me out in case I get really sick afterwards. Well, I've already been really sick and I've missed work this whole week and needed help and my husband could only stay home with me one day. So, even though I've talked to her on the phone every day this week and she said she'd be here today to help cook a few things and go grocery shopping for us, she "forgot". I'm beyond annoyed and now I don't know if I want her to help out later, because I'm not sure how much help she'd be. Plus, she already said she was bringing her drat teacup poodle with her, even though we have 3 cats and will have a newborn because it's "HER baby". Um, no, it's a loving dog that's annoying as poo poo and if I hear it bark once, I will kill it. So, any tips? My own parents aren't in the picture, mom has dementia and dad takes care of her, so they can't really do much. I really counted on my MIL, but she just hasn't been there like she says she would be. I feel like I have no support other than my husband, who is wonderful, but there's only so much he can do.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 21, 2017

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Oh boy, I'm glad this Dr. talk came up.

I'm really struggling right now if I should change or not. At my last appointment I just felt like my Dr. doesn't listen to me at all.

He asked about my work yet again even though I had told him a couple times I had to stop working because I've been so sick. I was pretty emotional because it was my 12 week visit and I hadn't been in for four weeks and I was really anxious to see that the baby was doing okay because I had not been eating that well and losing weight. I started crying when he was talking about my eating habits, I just felt so helpless and guilty.
Then he started asking me about my mental health, and I was telling him I was feeling depressed but only because I've been so sick, and that I really wish I felt better so I could go back to doing things like normal again.
He kept insisting I fill out a mental health questionnaire, even though I kept saying I was just upset because I was so sick. So we wasted an extra 10 minutes for me to fill these forms out, even though he was an hour late to my appointment because of an emergency (I understand that stuff happens, but every time I go to his office it is at least a 30-45 minute wait)
He comes in, looks over my answers, and just kind of is like oh ok you're fine. No poo poo.

The thing I do like about him though is he is an OB/GYN, so I'm pretty sure that means if I need something like a c-section he would be able to do that. He's also the only Dr. in his practice. He'd be the one delivering the baby.
And.. I'm somewhat use to him being my Dr. I've been going to him for about 3 years.

Am I over reacting to the way he treated me at my last appointment?

I do have a neighbor who told me about a friend who has a family practice in the town right next to mine, which is a 5 minute drive instead of a 40 minute drive. I'm thinking of making an appointment there just to check the place out and talk with the Dr.
The only thing that concerns me is I don't think she is an OB/GYN. She does do child birthing, but I am worried that if I have any complications she would have to call whatever ob/gyn or surgeon that is affiliated with the hospital.
She also doesn't deliver at my top choice for hospitals..but I'd be willing to overlook that if she's awesome in all other aspects.

Sorry that was kind of long. Am I right about the differences between and OB/GYN and a Dr. that works in a family practice and does deliveries? I'm not so sure.

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 20, 2012

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I just see the same OB/GYN I've been seeing for the past 7 years, no interviewing required. Do most people just see a GP for yearly exams? It's impossible to find a GP taking new patients in Manhattan so I haven't seen one in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Schweig und tanze posted:

I just see the same OB/GYN I've been seeing for the past 7 years, no interviewing required. Do most people just see a GP for yearly exams? It's impossible to find a GP taking new patients in Manhattan so I haven't seen one in years.

Most women that I know see a GYN for their yearly PAP and checkup, but here in Maryland the malpractice insurance costs for OBs are out of control, so the majority of Gynecologists stopped doing Obstetrics and just do regular Gynecology.