Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Winkie01 posted:

I hope that is actual paint instead of just a wrap because holy poo poo the amount of time that must have taken.

From the video it looks like paint, unless wraps have gotten to the point where they are utterly flawless and also exceedingly glossy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

From the video it looks like paint, unless wraps have gotten to the point where they are utterly flawless and also exceedingly glossy.

Wraps can be insanely good, good enough that you couldn't tell from a picture.

These are of course quite expensive to make, but if GM made it...

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Wraps can be insanely good, good enough that you couldn't tell from a picture.

These are of course quite expensive to make, but if GM made it...

If GM made it then it would look like those knockoff carney superhero airbrushings. Commissioned artist, painting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It was a custom airbrush that took three months.

quote:

The American Pride Camaro was commissioned by GM in the Summer of 2010. It is a 2011 camaro and was a top secret project. It was painted at Mountain Muscle Cars in Cosby TN. The project took about three months from start to finish. This car was the brainchild of Scott Settlemire from GM’s Show car division.

http://mickeyharrisart.com/2010/10/latest-work-camaro/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diamond Joe doesn't do Camaro.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Diamond Joe doesn't do Camaro.

That's because they don't drop the panties like his Trans Am Corvette does.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The truth is Joey had a bad incident test driving an IROC when the tape deck ate his copy of Shout At The Devil. He took it as a bad omen and subsequently swore off Camaros ever since.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Here I was thinking he preferred the higher driver seat clearance of the 'vette because it allows him to hide a twelver of Old Milwaukee instead of having to stash a couple tallboys in the glove.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Secret Service might stop him from driving cars but they couldn't stop him driving the Amtrak today.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

The Secret Service might stop him from driving cars but they couldn't stop him driving the Amtrak today.

"Well I don't hear all that horsepower you say this baby's got :colbert:"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is that what he looks like these days? McCain nothing, the too old to be president brigade would be all over him with a face like that. And if he were to somehow actually win and become president the office apparently ages you twenty years so I can only imagine how bad he'd look when he gets out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cliff Racer posted:

Is that what he looks like these days? McCain nothing, the too old to be president brigade would be all over him with a face like that. And if he were to somehow actually win and become president the office apparently ages you twenty years so I can only imagine how bad he'd look when he gets out.

Diamonds are forever.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

"Well I don't hear all that horsepower you say this baby's got :colbert:"
Why does the new train control room look like the 1980s KFC flight simulator from Community?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Just look at Romney without make-up. People don't look like they look to most people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That's actually a fairly flattering photo of Biden. Here's an unflattering one from last August.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Joementum posted:

That's actually a fairly flattering photo of Biden. Here's an unflattering one from last August.

I just see his big handsome diamond grin.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Joementum posted:

Not seeing the unflattering part - he looks like that great-uncle that everyone has. You know, the one who just won't slow down up until the day he keels over at 90-something.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does show how thin his hair has become, like wisps of silver light.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I always look at facing shots of politicians only. When I see a uniform presentation of hair, I remark "how virile" and vote for them.

Profile shots and whatever they might reveal don't penetrate my consciousness; nor am I concerned with how long any one strand of silver hair might be, or the distance it's required to travel daily, if it for example lies across ten inches of scalp and is cemented in place with pomade bearing the tang of anise.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Dude is 71, he actually looks great for that age.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey now, I'm not judging Diamond Joe over it! I was just taking a stab at why it was an "unflattering" photo compared to the forward shot. I don't think that looking his age will much matter for Joe, he has a lot more problems electorally than profile shots.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 7, 2014

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Electorally speaking, Biden has a lot fewer problems than Hillary (in the sense that this page is talking about, of course she's favored at the moment).

The electorate in the primaries is old white people to whom old white men look Presidential and old white women look old.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adar posted:

Electorally speaking, Biden has a lot fewer problems than Hillary (in the sense that this page is talking about, of course she's favored at the moment).

The electorate in the primaries is old white people to whom old white men look Presidential and old white women look old.

That's more of what I was getting at, though less comparing him to Hillary, more that he has a whole bunch of baggage of his own considering his long record in the Senate, and his positions on foreign policy issues. I voted for him in 2008 and would probably do so again if he was up against Hillary, but I think even with coming out of the Vice-Presidency he doesn't have any more of a shot than he did in 2008.

It comes down to what I see as the most important thing in the primary, and that's support through the PACs and campaign machines. That's where Hillary's leading advantage comes in right now, and it's what won Obama his nomination in 2008. If there was support outside of the Biden camp (which seems to consist of mostly just Biden himself) being maneuvered that'd change the shape of things, old white man or not, but I don't see that happening.

Hillary was edged out in 2008 not just because of campaign blunders but issues with the party, a party I don't see endorsing Biden as some attempt to outmaneuver her. That being said, I've always felt his strength was his relationship and experience with the legislature so I could be wrong, I just don't see it as likely.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you go back and take a look at Obama's 2008 primary campaign speeches you realize why he won the primary. After 8 years of Bush, and a wholly unknown quantity at the time, the guy was positively inspirational. The past 5 years will cloud that view (the numerous disappointments) but there's more than 'a problem with the party' behind why he got the nomination, and it has practically nothing to do with Hillary.

The '08 campaign was basically a quantum leap in terms of social media and voter data usage. Combined with Obama's ability to speak and the number of pissed-off youth who grew up under Bush and were willing to knock on doors, make calls, send emails, the works. They had a setup where you could call in from home and they would route calls to you, so you could canvass from the couch. That poo poo was loving bananas at the time and is still impressive.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

If you go back and take a look at Obama's 2008 primary campaign speeches you realize why he won the primary. After 8 years of Bush, and a wholly unknown quantity at the time, the guy was positively inspirational. The past 5 years will cloud that view (the numerous disappointments) but there's more than 'a problem with the party' behind why he got the nomination, and it has practically nothing to do with Hillary.

The '08 campaign was basically a quantum leap in terms of social media and voter data usage. Combined with Obama's ability to speak and the number of pissed-off youth who grew up under Bush and were willing to knock on doors, make calls, send emails, the works. They had a setup where you could call in from home and they would route calls to you, so you could canvass from the couch. That poo poo was loving bananas at the time and is still impressive.

We should also recall that at the start of the primary Hillary was then expected forerunner, if not nominee outright, with Obama ranked usually a distant third behind John Edwards, and Obama stone cold bushwhacked both with the combo you noted above. "Dark horse comes from behind to topple heavyweight!" is a headline that sells itself even without prodding, and it didn't help Hillary one bit that her own staff was both wedded to the old style of campaigning, and also had Mark Penn in it.

From all I've seen, she appears to have learned that lesson, and one hopes won't hire/tolerate any world class morons this time around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I thought it was more Obama had backchannel support from a bunch of senate dems who didn't care too much for Hillary. The kind of people with superb organizing and fundraising connections.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

and it didn't help Hillary one bit that her own staff was both wedded to the old style of campaigning, and also had Mark Penn in it.

Technically only one half was wedded to the old style. They just happened to fight constantly with the other, more competent half and in turn both undermined her campaign.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 7, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

comes along bort posted:

I thought it was more Obama had backchannel support from a bunch of senate dems who didn't care too much for Hillary. The kind of people with superb organizing and fundraising connections.

The backchannel support came in part because of the inspirational aspects, in part because Obama was an extremely adept fundraiser to begin with (and thus was seen as someone who could leapfrog the perceived advantages Clinton had in that regard). Obama was getting significant attention from a variety of corners even before his 2004 keynote, though sometimes with results that would make you shake your drat head.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

From all I've seen, she appears to have learned that lesson, and one hopes won't hire/tolerate any world class morons this time around.

This is something I'll believe when I see it, considering how much of her 2008 team were old 90s hands who had earned their epic gently caress-up stripes already.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We should also recall that at the start of the primary Hillary was then expected forerunner, if not nominee outright, with Obama ranked usually a distant third behind John Edwards, and Obama stone cold bushwhacked both with the combo you noted above. "Dark horse comes from behind to topple heavyweight!" is a headline that sells itself even without prodding, and it didn't help Hillary one bit that her own staff was both wedded to the old style of campaigning, and also had Mark Penn in it.

Mark Penn would have been enough to keep me from voting for Hillary Clinton that cycle, even without all the fuckups and the insulting gestures from her campaign. God, what a fat, smug, self-righteous prick he was. Shades of Dick Morris.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

comes along bort posted:

If I remember right, Reid (among others) was among the first to quietly approach Obama as an alternative to The Clinton Machine Bill and Hillary, though I don't remember exactly how early on it happened.

The Warszawa posted:

This is something I'll believe when I see it, considering how much of her 2008 team were old 90s hands who had earned their epic gently caress-up stripes already.

Well I did include "one hopes" in there as a qualifier, didn't I?

Alter Ego posted:

Mark Penn would have been enough to keep me from voting for Hillary Clinton that cycle, even without all the fuckups and the insulting gestures from her campaign. God, what a fat, smug, self-righteous prick he was. Shades of Dick Morris.

Yeah he was, and is, a total dickbag.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If I remember right, Reid (among others) was among the first to quietly approach Obama as an alternative to The Clinton Machine Bill and Hillary, though I don't remember exactly how early on it happened.

I don't think Game Change puts a calendar date on it, but I would put it somewhere in the first half of 2006.

quote:

Well I did include "one hopes" in there as a qualifier, didn't I?

Sure, hope springs eternal and all, I'm just not holding my breath.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah he was, and is, a total dickbag.

I'll never forget Hillary supporters claiming that she should be the nominee because she won the contests in "states that matter".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With Mark Penn and Dick Morris having fallen out of grace, perhaps its time to bring back the scummiest Clinton barnacle of them all.

*a phone rings in Lanny's house*

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Alter Ego posted:

I'll never forget Hillary supporters claiming that she should be the nominee because she won the contests in "states that matter".

Between Geraldine Ferraro, Bill Clinton, and Mark "Cocaine" Penn, that year was really a masterclass on how not to advocate for a candidate.

Joementum posted:

*a voicemail is forwarded to an undisclosed location in a kleptocratic Ivory Coast dictatorship*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

With Mark Penn and Dick Morris having fallen out of grace, perhaps its time to bring back the scummiest Clinton barnacle of them all.

Lanny is currently repping Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder is his battle against people who think his team's name is just a little bit racist. Along with Ari Fleischer, Frank Luntz, and George "Macaca" Allen. No, really.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
At least she'll have an infallible champion in Carville.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

At least she'll have an infallible champion in Carville.

So that's why he's on Fox News now. Get their viewers to all die of strokes a year before the primaries even begin. Hot drat they really do think of everything (except to read up on individual states' primary and caucus rules).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

comes along bort posted:

So that's why he's on Fox News now. Get their viewers to all die of strokes a year before the primaries even begin. Hot drat they really do think of everything (except to read up on individual states' primary and caucus rules).

It's for that exact reason that urban Democrats need to start pushing healthy eating and exercise. Get a whole bunch of the GOP base to become so obese they can't get into the polling places.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

It's for that exact reason that urban Democrats need to start pushing healthy eating and exercise. Get a whole bunch of the GOP base to become so obese they can't get into the polling places.

Petition Obama to endorse legislation outlawing the drinking of bleach.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

I still can't believe he didn't understand proportional delegate allocation. You know, to comment on his intellectual failings rather than just his moral ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I still can't believe he didn't understand proportional delegate allocation. You know, to comment on his intellectual failings rather than just his moral ones.

It was an incredible mistake by someone who supposedly does this for a living.

The Obama people in 2008 should go down in history as one of the best movements in primary election politics, the way they handled systemically beating Clinton.

Edit: It should be pointed out though that Mark Penn is a loving savant compared to the pile of poo poo-in-a-suit that is Dick Morris.

• Locked thread