Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The USB outlets are convenient, but I have yet to find one that charges at an acceptable rate. If I used up my battery on the flight or while sightseeing, I would like to be able to charge my phone quickly before going out that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The USB outlets are convenient, but I have yet to find one that charges at an acceptable rate. If I used up my battery on the flight or while sightseeing, I would like to be able to charge my phone quickly before going out that night.

They usually have low current power supplies. Bring your own if you want to charge quickly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

app posted:

Use your corporate VPN... oh wai

You know that somewhere there's a VP who took that approach.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm off to AMERICA. Super excited to hit SFO YVR NRT.

My only concern is one the longer legs is handled by American compass airlines I have no idea who hey are. But it's one world!

It's my girlfriends first time in America and I'm just super excited to have burritos and enjoy the west coast.

It's been a while since I have gone through us airports though, welp

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

caberham posted:

It's been a while since I have gone through us airports though, welp

Enjoy the absurd queue times!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

caberham posted:

My only concern is one the longer legs is handled by American compass airlines I have no idea who hey are. But it's one world!

Sounds like Compass Airlines dba American Eagle

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes Japanese airports are the best. Clean, great souvenirs and shoot some water up my butt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

air- posted:

Enjoy the absurd queue times!

I have no idea where everyone is traveling except H-Jax where there are SUCH ABSURD WAIT TIMES!!!!

Fiumicino, Ataturk, Schiphol etc are all worse as far as I can tell, especially the places where you have to pass through security multiple times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Sounds like Compass Airlines dba American Eagle

Could also be Compass Airlines dba Delta Connection. Either way, they fly only E-jets so it should be a perfectly decent ride.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have no idea where everyone is traveling except H-Jax where there are SUCH ABSURD WAIT TIMES!!!!

Fiumicino, Ataturk, Schiphol etc are all worse as far as I can tell, especially the places where you have to pass through security multiple times.

AUS still has insane waits without pre. To be fair, we also haven't heard much since summer holidays are winding down, so maybe it's coming to a close.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i haven't had any issues out of DEN at all this summer (because it is a cool and good airport)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Noctone posted:

i haven't had any issues out of DEN at all this summer (because it is a cool and good airport)

why is it so far away from denver

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Look at what happened to Dulles. When they built it there was nothing there, now it's choked by traffic eight hours a day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

Look at what happened to Dulles. When they built it there was nothing there, now it's choked by traffic eight hours a day.

dulles is also too far away from dc

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Noctone posted:

the illuminati only tell you what they want you to know

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The thing I most dislike about DEN is how long it takes to get/return a rental car

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it won't be that long before the metro starts bumping up against it.

taco show posted:

The thing I most dislike about DEN is how long it takes to get/return a rental car

ha, yeah i forget that it must be a pain in the dick for people coming in to pick up their rental car. but it's only marginally more time-consuming than somewhere like SFO

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress 30 min half way through SFO Immigration. Even if I did use APEC card my girlfriend would be left behind :( she's not eligible for global entry.

Welp at least this beats jet lag. And no one in line is complaining because there's free wifi and everyone's texting away

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I feel like this comes up every so often, but asking anyways. My once a month travel has kicked into at least once a week now, and I need to upgrade my suitcase situation to something with wheels that can be carried on. Wirecutter likes the Briggs and Riley - is it worth dropping that kinda change on a piece of luggage?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I feel like this comes up every so often, but asking anyways. My once a month travel has kicked into at least once a week now, and I need to upgrade my suitcase situation to something with wheels that can be carried on. Wirecutter likes the Briggs and Riley - is it worth dropping that kinda change on a piece of luggage?

I'm right around a decade with my BR carry-on and just got it back for a new handle and wheels, cost was shipping. Prob around a half million domestic miles on that (I took a few years off). If you really travel, it is worth it I think. Just added a BR checked suitcase as well.

That or a Rimowa, but I don't like the open in the middle aspect of them.

Edit, no tears, no broken zippers, no broken carry handles, no broken wheels, no broken arms. After all that time. Sometimes carried sometimes checked. I've had other brands that couldn't make it 2 trips.

I sent it in because I had a nice break and I wanted it polished up, one of the wheels had developed a click and one handle cover was starting to scrunch up and looked pretty worn.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 23, 2016

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I suggest spending the money once on a good suitcaase that you can keep for life.

Briggs and Riley or Tumi seem to be the main choices.

I personally use a BR U122CX

http://www.briggs-riley.com/domestic-carry-on-expandable-upright

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Travelpro crew line is decent too. If you're only on once a month it would meet your needs for a long time.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

DaRealAce posted:

I suggest spending the money once on a good suitcaase that you can keep for life.

Briggs and Riley or Tumi seem to be the main choices.

I personally use a BR U122CX

http://www.briggs-riley.com/domestic-carry-on-expandable-upright

I second this recommendation. Used one for 4 years until I recently stopped traveling for work.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There's also this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415334

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Flew Southwest for the first time in a long time yesterday (thanks Concur) from BNA to DAL. There were a lot of people clapping once we landed and taxied to the gate. WTF Southwest people?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I preach this all the time, but if you're a plebe subjected to an 8kg or even 7kg cabin bag limit, it matters whether the bag itself weighs 2 or 4kg. For this reason I got a 2nd tier Travelpro, which is very nice and light but probably wouldn't stand up to had a million miles.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I still love my Delsey Helium line hardshell case. I've beat the piss out of it over the last few years and it's held up very well.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

bolind posted:

I preach this all the time, but if you're a plebe subjected to an 8kg or even 7kg cabin bag limit, it matters whether the bag itself weighs 2 or 4kg. For this reason I got a 2nd tier Travelpro, which is very nice and light but probably wouldn't stand up to had a million miles.

I'm sure it's just me not paying attention, but I don't think I've ever once seen someone get a carry-on weighed. Checked for dimensions, sure.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I fly southwest weekly and I always clap when landing? Isn't it polite to thank the pilot and crew for a job well done?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
normal human beings just say thank you as they're exiting the plane

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm strange. Well back to exercising my clapping hands.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People on Southwest are just surprised they made it. :haw:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be cheap guys just get a rimowa

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Barry posted:

I'm sure it's just me not paying attention, but I don't think I've ever once seen someone get a carry-on weighed. Checked for dimensions, sure.

Doesn't happen often, but Ryan Air, for instance, are super anal about it. (For the love of all that is holy, don't fly Ryan Air.)

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Barry posted:

I don't think any of the US airlines have a carry on wieght policy, but a significant number of non-US carriers do. I know RyanAir, Air France and Air New Zealand all enforce their policies off the top of my head.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've had a carry on weighed and forced to be checked by Emirates.

I also had a Hawaiian check in agent weigh our carry on after our checked bag was overweight and we moved stuff around. That was pretty annoying.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Flew Southwest for the first time in a long time yesterday (thanks Concur) from BNA to DAL. There were a lot of people clapping once we landed and taxied to the gate. WTF Southwest people?

I had that happen recently on an American flight, but it was super windy and as we were headed down to land the whole plane was swaying alot. I still thought it was weird when we landed and people clapped.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The only time I've ever had carry-on weighed was on Mokulele, but for obvious reasons it's pretty understandable why they would.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The only time Delta said anything to me about luggage weight (carry-on or checked) was the beginning of the year when I was building status. They haven't bugged me about it since, and I know my checked luggage is over when I'm flying back from the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Lufthansa charged me €100 extra for a really heavy bag full of camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) on my way back to Miami from Germany last year, no status, booked economy, don't really fault them.

Delta just put an extra "HEAVY" tag on basically the same bag earlier this year, but no charge over paid first and gold status.