Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Edna Mode posted:

Whenever I hear about HS closures I'm surprised they can close so many things I don't care about and have all of the stuff I like left.

MuppetVision is reportedly sticking around, which is good because that's probably the only DHS attraction I'd be outraged if it was closed.

Oh my goodness, our trip is soon (mid-February)! We're staying in the Polynesian for the first half of the week (Dole Whips ev'ry day) and in Kidani Village for the second half (wish me luck on scoring even a few hours to sit at our window and just sketch). It's first time for both places and I'm pretty hyped. Is it true that there are a bunch of free activities at AKL you just need to show up for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
But Pizza Planet across the street will go soon. RIP

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

demonR6 posted:

But Pizza Planet across the street will go soon. RIP

Is that gone for good or just being moved into the Toy Story Land?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That location is gone to make way for something Star Wars. Whether or not the building comes down though. That whole area I would guess is on the chopping block perhaps?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rahonavis posted:

MuppetVision is reportedly sticking around, which is good because that's probably the only DHS attraction I'd be outraged if it was closed.

Oh my goodness, our trip is soon (mid-February)! We're staying in the Polynesian for the first half of the week (Dole Whips ev'ry day) and in Kidani Village for the second half (wish me luck on scoring even a few hours to sit at our window and just sketch). It's first time for both places and I'm pretty hyped. Is it true that there are a bunch of free activities at AKL you just need to show up for?

I pray to god they always keep it, or at the very least move it, and redo the end so the firetruck crash at the end makes sense again (stupid gift shop)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
pizza planet is becoming a new eatery after a length refurbishment. rumor had it as a Muppets themed eatery, which would make sense. It's not in the area for Star Wars so we'll have to see what it becomes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man a job opening for Monorails... my current occupation involves trains, hmmmmmm

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Abu Dave posted:

Our itinerary for when we went to MGM was "Hit up Rock n Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone then Great Movie Ride and Star Tours then leave". Granted, we don't have kids or anything.

It really feels like that unless you have little kids there's 3 things to do at the park; RnR ToT and Star Tours.

That park is so weird. So so so so weird. If it wasn't for the two thrill rides there'd be no point in going there imho until they open more poo poo.

We felt the exact same way, also have no kids. We also felt like the park layout might as well have been a giant maze, but that may be due to being used to the hubcentric layout that almost every other park does. We're going for a couple days next month, and I think we will maybe hit up AK or EPCOT, but for the money Universal is where we have the most fun. I'd like to stay in one of the On site hotels some time but all those prices are outrageous. We got something from disney saying we could get in at the Poly for $419 and something from universal saying we could get their premier hotel for like 400 a night. $400 a night is a baller suite with a jacuzzi in it in Vegas, the pricing seems a little bit crazy. We ended up booking the same place as last time for 60 a night, which was clean, safe, and comfy. It's also got free parking, wifi and is only like a 20 minute walk to Universal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Man Pants posted:

We felt the exact same way, also have no kids. We also felt like the park layout might as well have been a giant maze, but that may be due to being used to the hubcentric layout that almost every other park does. We're going for a couple days next month, and I think we will maybe hit up AK or EPCOT, but for the money Universal is where we have the most fun. I'd like to stay in one of the On site hotels some time but all those prices are outrageous. We got something from disney saying we could get in at the Poly for $419 and something from universal saying we could get their premier hotel for like 400 a night. $400 a night is a baller suite with a jacuzzi in it in Vegas, the pricing seems a little bit crazy. We ended up booking the same place as last time for 60 a night, which was clean, safe, and comfy. It's also got free parking, wifi and is only like a 20 minute walk to Universal.

If you're planning on going to Universal for the most part, their on-site hotels are a perfectly fine option. We stayed at the Drury Inn on Sand Lake over Halloween weekend to finish off HHN this year, and it's just a few minutes drive from Universal and includes a shuttle to the park.

That said, if you're planning a Disney vacation you really should stay at a Disney resort. Believe me, you see where the money goes. Even the cheapest resorts at Disney have on-site dining, pools, often entertainment options (even if just a movie held on a convenient lawn at night), and bus service to the parks and Disney Springs. They also tend to be fastidiously clean. You really sacrifice quite a bit of convenience and amenities trying to stay at a non-Disney hotel.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worth staying on property to not rent a car.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone here done Club Villian yet?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

No, but I really really really want to since it's pretty well known Maleficent is my jam. The $99 price tag hinders me some.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The open bar and food getting decent reviews makes that more managable. is that the most expensive non V&A dinner thing?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I got to see the dress rehearsal. No food for us other than the desserts, but the show itself was fantastic, the food sounds amazing and with it being open bar and all you can eat...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Old Man Pants posted:

TBF, the Poly is a Deluxe resort AND it's on the monorail, so it's one of the most expensive hotels in Disney World. You can easily stay in a Value resort for less than half the cost of that "special" Poly offer, even during all but the most expensive price seasons, and you gain a lot of flexibility and convenience for your money. An off-site hotel has maybe two shuttle buses a day running to and from the parks, and if you miss the shuttle, you have to get a rental car or take a taxi. If you stay on-site, you can almost always get a free shuttle (complete with bag pick-up) and can take free Disney transportation to and from your resort morning, noon, and night. Also, you get to make your Fastpass+ and dining reservations earlier than you would if you stayed off-site. (It's not as big a factor for you, since you've only started planning a month out and can't take advantage of the extra planning time, but it's something to think about for future visits). I'm completely leaving out the immersion factor. The Disney Bubble is real, and it's the reason so many people are willing to pay premium prices to be in it 24/7. It's something you have to experience for yourself to really understand, but I think you'd probably agree that it's worth it.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
For those who say they can get cheaper hotel rates off property, I usually think of the money they'll have to spend on a rental car. I usually save around $200 a trip by staying at a value resort and relying on Disney for ground transportation. And the magical express helps get you that Disney bubble.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I really want to thank Braksgirl for all her help in getting a Disney vacation in April set up for 6 people and a toddler. Super responsive to emailed questions, fantastic help.

Here's a question. I've got all our dining reservations pretty well set up (we're doing the deluxe meal plan, and plan on taking full advantage of it). The only res I'm iffy about is one for Wolfgang Puck's Dining Room in Disney Springs the night we get in. The reviews seem to be kind of mediocre. Would there be a better option? WP is signature dining, so we've got the table services to use per person on that. I wouldn't mind doing Morimoto Asia, but according to Disney's site it's not dining plan eligible. According to a few other sites (and the Morimoto facebook) they've added it to the DP in 2016, so I'm not sure what gives. We'd prefer to have a restaurant in Disney Springs that evening, as that's where we'll be spending the afternoon. I've done Fulton's Crab House already and wasn't overly impressed. Is there another nice booking in Disney Springs to check into? Over the course of the trip we're already doing Narcoossee's, Jiko, Cali Grill, Le Cellier, etc.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

ExplodingChef posted:

I really want to thank Braksgirl for all her help in getting a Disney vacation in April set up for 6 people and a toddler. Super responsive to emailed questions, fantastic help.

It's my pleasure to help!

There's a really weird discount available today.

Summer Meal Offer for Value Resorts

Enjoy a Free meal at a quick-service location per person, per night when you buy a non-discounted 4-night/5-day room and theme park ticket package at a Disney Value Resort hotel.
Offer valid for arrivals most nights May 29 through June 30, 2016 and July 5 through August 13, 2016. Book now through February 29, 2016.

So...it's a free dining offer, but only for summer, only for Value resorts, only one meal per night. Very oddly specific and to be honest, I think this is what you can expect for free dining very soon. They've been restricting free dining more and more over the years and this feels a bit like a test run for a huge restriction.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Got to say after coming back from my weekend trip, nothing is better than getting random Kungalooshes from cast members and guests throughout the trip while wearing my Adventurers Club pin.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Quixotic1 posted:

Got to say after coming back from my weekend trip, nothing is better than getting random Kungalooshes from cast members and guests throughout the trip while wearing my Adventurers Club pin.
I really miss the Adventurer's Club. :sigh:

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Quixotic1 posted:

I picked this up on my last trip, was so much fun chatting about the Adventurers Club with people who noticed the shirt.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My family is going this June. Since me and my wife are the unofficial experts, they are inviting us along. We will be returning again spring of 2017, so that is allowing us to spring for the annual passes and as a result tables in Wonderland. I love when things like up like that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What was the adventurers club?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

What was the adventurers club?

A nightclub in downtown Disney (now Disney Springs) that was themed about adventurers,archaeology, etc. With cast members(dressed as the for mentioned adventurers,archeologist,professors,etc)walking around doing jokes and skits with guests. At certain times of the night different rooms that would open up for shows. There was a songs, a creed, a salute, injokes for regulars, all around you were animatronics, everything was dripping with theming, the bar stools would rise and fall at the bartenders discretion. Also the Colonel,an animatronic puppet that interacted with guests.

Think jungle cruise but the guests are now the hippos,elephants and headhunters for the CMs to interact with,and thus allowing for fresh material each time. Also being allowed to be a little raunchier due to the nature of being a night club.

In short, it was too good for this world.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that sounds amazing. I would've liked to see that. Was it a real nightclub or like a dining location?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah that sounds amazing. I would've liked to see that.
It was extremely popular, even when the rest of Pleasure Island was a barren wasteland.

I feel like if it had been elsewhere in Downtown Disney (but still with the age restriction) it would have survived.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah that sounds amazing. I would've liked to see that. Was it a real nightclub or like a dining location?

Twas a real drinking establishment, no food or snacks that I can remember. People loved the club so much someone recreated it in Gary's Mod. My nephew is bummed that he was never able to visit (last trip he had a chance to go, he instead went and watched Dark Knight in Imax in downtown), and just by watching youtube video of it and my tales of it,has a love for it. He was especially happy when he figured out one of the Citizens of Hollywood in Hollywood Studios was one of the CM in the club.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah im going to check out videos when i get home, weird they'd knock down something popular.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
T'was a shame really. Never even turned 21 before it shut down. Fun fact, in the Simpson's Itchy and Scratchy Land episode, it's referenced as the night club where it's New Years Eve everyday. Because it was the night club where it's New Years Eve everyday.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PS are any of you guys pin collectors? I heard theyre doing another run of the Piece of HIstory pins, anyone know what attractions

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

couldcareless posted:

My family is going this June. Since me and my wife are the unofficial experts, they are inviting us along. We will be returning again spring of 2017, so that is allowing us to spring for the annual passes and as a result tables in Wonderland. I love when things like up like that.

I'm debating doing something similar with an AP for myself. I've got a big trip planned this spring for an event, but I'd love to get back down this fall, and possibly next May. I may end up springing for a pass and turning WDW into my long weekend vacation spot.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you want to experience something close to the feel of The Adventurer's Club, Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar is a good bet, as is Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. Neither have actors playing characters, but the bartenders are usually pretty wild, and at Sam's you get special effects and animatronics, and at Jocks there are lots of hidden references to the Adventurer's Club. Jock's has the better drink menu of the two, but both are a good goddamn time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the Jungle Cruise Skipper's Canteen recently opened at the Magic Kingdom includes references to the Adventurer's Club.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wnat to take my girlfriend out for a sit down meal at Disney when we go again next month, she looked at the restaurants on a base level and picked out these three:

Crossroads
Yak & Yeti
Rainforest Cafe

out of those three what's the best? Or is there something else you'd reccomend? I kinda debated on 50's Prime Time since i'm sure she'd love the staff messing around, but I heard that's VERY hit or miss if they do it now a days...

or even if you guys have a different reccomendation. She doesnt like anything too spicy and we live in New England so no Columbia Harbour House please.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
None of those stick out as great food. I'll quote some of my old posts about Disney restaurants

quote:

Biergarten is great if you like German food. You'll be sharing a big table with other parties, so try to make the most of it and get to know them and enjoy the company.

Sanaa is one of the best on the Disney property

Coral Reef because it's a really unique experience and has some really great dishes (the pork belly is out of this world). I didn't want to try it the first time we did because I wanted to eat in World Showcase as much as possible, but it was really awesome and is now my favorite EPCOT restaurant.

Magic Kingdom: Be Our Guest

Epcot: Marrakesh

Hollywood Studios: 50s Prime Time

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'd say no to Rainforest Cafe. The food is chain-restaurant-level (appropriate, since the Rainforest Cafe is a chain); you're essentially paying for the audio-animatronics and Disney already has a bunch of those. Unless you happen to be taking a kid who would like that sort of thing along I wouldn't recommend it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we really enjoyed Biergarten even though it was awkward. I don't know if she'd eat Sanaa, and I don't like Sea Food so Coral Reef would be out. Marrakesh same thing she's very plain jane.

Really headin towars 50s prime time. Have you eaten at Tuskar House?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah we really enjoyed Biergarten even though it was awkward. I don't know if she'd eat Sanaa, and I don't like Sea Food so Coral Reef would be out. Marrakesh same thing she's very plain jane.

Really headin towars 50s prime time. Have you eaten at Tuskar House?

Tusker House has more exotic food. If she's really only into your basic American style food, I think 50's Prime Time would be fine. The PB & J shake is totally worth it alone.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we're going to do 50s. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, when I was down there I tried some of that African Spice Popcorn, that stuff was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Abu Dave posted:

I think we're going to do 50s. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, when I was down there I tried some of that African Spice Popcorn, that stuff was amazing.

Get the sampler with the fried chicken, pot roast, and meat loaf. So drat good.