Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Caged posted:

I know I probably know the answer to this already, but does the person who employs him not care that he's loving up and covering his tracks?

In this situation I'd just assign him the ticket and forget about it. I had a manager who liked to gently caress about with things and cause issues and while giving him all the tickets caused by his fuckery didn't stop it happening it made me feel a lot better.

Ill be emailing the account lead again, not sure if it will make a difference

I found the folders, luckily one of the users has a unique last name so it was a little easier to track down. It was buried under a few folders on the drive that vm backups are dumped. I have no idea why they were moved there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, that guy has to be either the most careless person imaginable - accidently dragging random poo poo from one place to the other, channeling some odd sort of maliciousness - deliberately making the file structure look like it was built on a non-Euclidian plane, or just plain loving schizophrenic.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

I have no idea why they were moved there.
At this point, that no longer matters. He's intentionally disabling auditing which takes him from woefully inept to actively malicious. If your account lead doesn't do anything, you need to keep going up the chain and sell it as a liability thing. You're trying to protect your company's rear end from litigation if/when the client finds out that this senior is not only unqualified for this work but is creating problems on purpose as a possible billable line item.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Yeah, the moment he disabled auditing to cover his tracks he moved from incompetent to malicious and needs to be reported.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Visited our offsite backup location. Looked great, until I was about to leave and looked at the ceiling. Can you guess what caught my eye?

Sprinkler system.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

nexxai posted:

At this point, that no longer matters. He's intentionally disabling auditing which takes him from woefully inept to actively malicious. If your account lead doesn't do anything, you need to keep going up the chain and sell it as a liability thing. You're trying to protect your company's rear end from litigation if/when the client finds out that this senior is not only unqualified for this work but is creating problems on purpose as a possible billable line item.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, the moment he disabled auditing to cover his tracks he moved from incompetent to malicious and needs to be reported.

Have you guys been reading his saga during this and the previous thread?

Management gives no fucks.

As for tickets: user changed DNS to view streaming TV on their computer.

Admin access now Danny Glovered and that should fix future issues.

As for why admin access is granted, we (the IT group) do not own the machines, the various offices we manage do. The policy put in place allows admin access for users as the crappy software needed for their job requires admin access. That has changed in the last year and now admin access is the rope in which they will hang themselves. infect your computer, your data will be lost and your computer will be locked down.

Institutional inertia is a beast.

Independence fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There wasn't solid proof of malice vs. incompetence before though.

I mean I doubt it will make a difference either, but it's worth a punt.

Although the defence will be "auditing and event logs slow servers down that's why we disable them christ you don't know poo poo"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Khisanth Magus posted:

Seriously. 100% this. Actively loving with the audit trail is a fireable offense

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
At the very least I hope that you give yourself copies of every email regarding this and other bull to cya.

Also, high five awful commute buddy :(:hf::(

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

underlig posted:

If you get the job, you should set up a paypal account and maybe goons would, in the spirit of christmas, do the needful..
I bought a loving spaceship in a game that doesn't exist yet, and i haven't had a "gaming computer" for six+ years. I could do better things..
Heh, 'sup hopeful Star Citizen Buddy? I'm still embarrassed for doing just this.
But yeah, Blackswordca is easily the most cared about dude in this thread.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 17, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Independence posted:

Admin access now Danny Glovered and that should fix future issues.

It's three days from retirement and too old for this poo poo?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

Seriously. 100% this. Actively loving with the audit trail is a fireable offense

This would be true except that his management has a long history of giving no fucks about anything whatsoever.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think this lack of fucks giving even extends to making money at this point.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

stubblyhead posted:

This would be true except that his management has a long history of giving no fucks about anything whatsoever.

Right, but it's gone from 'lazy/incompetent' to 'actively sabotaging poo poo'

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Microsoft is gonna make so much money off of people buying extended support agreements for XP past April 8.

E: you know, I think I meant that for the other thread. Still, though.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Were you expecting them to want to work out your notice? Because that's pretty unusual for any job where you have access to anything exciting, even if you leave rather than are fired, right?
The only job I've had where they wanted me to work out my notice was the one where, up until my last day, they genuinely couldn't believe I wanted to quit.

Manager actually wanted more time, to hire someone and then get me to train them. Any loyalty to the company was at an all time low at this point because a week before I got the new job offer I had asked about a pay rise which had been promised but then delayed because of the financial crisis was still being delayed because reasons which didn't match the actual state of the business. Seriously you can't tell me that revenue is down when one of my weekly tasks was running the reports which tells you the weekly, monthly and YTD revenue figures compared to the previous couple of years. I gave my notice, the manager then asked me to review the job description he wanted to advertise I pointed out that the words on the job description didn't actually match the duties in the role. I suggested a more accurate version, he then took a 5 week holiday. When he got back he advertised the position with his original text. It was about 4 months after I left they found someone.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

potato of destiny posted:

E: you know, I think I meant that for the other thread. Still, though.

"A ticket came in: please buy 1000 extended support agreements for Windows XP. This is affecting production" (bonus if they're wanting pre-SP3 supported, as I'm pretty sure MS won't allow that)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I once got told to "phone Microsoft and ask them when Skype is coming out on the Xbox, we have a project that wants to use 3 of them for video calls".

Some people just have no idea that someone like Microsoft won't comment on future releases, and doesn't give a gently caress about your purchase of 3 Xboxes.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Why did they have to have xboxes for that purpose? Are they going to collaborate on what slurs to call people on xbox live?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress knows, I've tried to wipe the whole thing from my memory. I think someone thought Xbox = cool, PC = boooooring.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

J posted:

Why did they have to have xboxes for that purpose? Are they going to collaborate on what slurs to call people on xbox live?

This sounds like a colleghumor video. "What Communications majors do after graduation"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It might have been the assumption that the xboxes would technically be managed hardware since Microsoft would continue to patch them, and cheaper than standalone desktop units.

Really, someone preordered a few expecting a shortage then was left holding the bag.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Migishu posted:

A vacation came in...

Time to do jack poo poo for a week and a half.

Awwww yissss same here

except it's going to be balls to the wall 24x7 WoW from the 21st until the 1st.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been in Costa Rica for a week and I spent 1 hour each night on the Internet doing random poo poo while the gf updates Instagram. All the emails I got from my boss were "add this to your list when you get back". Owns.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Ok so apparently 5 students in Denmark did an "experiment" with seeds and WiFi and now I have a client calling and freaking out about Wifi radiation. :what:
Here is the article the client referred to: http://www.naturalnews.com/043238_wi-fi_routers_radiation_plant_growth.html

I basically said if they want us to turn off their AP I will do the needful. Oh and this is a doctor by the way. Someone I would hope has at least some inkling of what a scientific study should entail. Bonus points for calling me from a mobile phone, which uses said radiation placed about a cm from your skull, in order to relay your fears about radiation exposure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I saw about that, and good on those students for that experiment and a budding interest in science. A doctor should know better than to take one high school study as a reason to change his actions, though...

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

It's three days from retirement and too old for this poo poo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXNUaSjXRY

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

I'd have zero tolerance for that bullshit. Worries over wi-fi and cellphone radiation are simply newer additions to a longer list of such boogiemen as flouridation and chemtrails.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
naturalnews.com tells you all you need to know.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nitrogen posted:

naturalnews.com tells you all you need to know.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Seriously, that site is a loving hellhole.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Best movie series. EVER.

I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

papa_november posted:

I'd have zero tolerance for that bullshit. Worries over wi-fi and cellphone radiation are simply newer additions to a longer list of such boogiemen as flouridation and chemtrails.

That poo poo really clogs up the drains, man.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

mad.radhu posted:

This sounds like a colleghumor video. "What Communications majors do after graduation"

Flounder around for a couple years, then work my way up to be a sysadmin.

(I am shamefully a communications major. What up.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Casull posted:

Flounder around for a couple years, then work my way up to be a sysadmin.

(I am shamefully a communications major. What up.)

Ah yes, someone that can make me feel better about my History degree. :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ookiimarukochan posted:

"A ticket came in: please buy 1000 extended support agreements for Windows XP. This is affecting production" (bonus if they're wanting pre-SP3 supported, as I'm pretty sure MS won't allow that)

I guarantee this will be happening at current job. We have about 2000 XP VDIs that aren't going anywhere before next December at least because of lovely apps.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

At last, somebody else who understands my witty references to Cardinal Richelieu!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

There are at least two other History majors where I work. I actually put a bit in my cover letter about how it was heartening to see on their "People" page.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I feel a bit stupid for asking this... but which vendor these days is better for large (for me at least) desktop purchases? (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc..)

For the 1st time ever, the higher ups are allowing me to replace many of our old machines all at once. Instead of waiting for them to die off as their policy has been up to this point.

44 machines ranging from 5 to 9 years old, all running XP of course are to be replaced. Only need the desktops, no monitors.

Aside from buying a handful of servers from Dell 3 years ago, we don't really have a established relationship with any large vendor. Desktops have been purchased as needed from various online vendors (Provantage, Amazon, NewEgg, etc..)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

stevewm posted:

I feel a bit stupid for asking this... but which vendor these days is better for large (for me at least) desktop purchases? (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc..)

For the 1st time ever, the higher ups are allowing me to replace many of our old machines all at once. Instead of waiting for them to die off as their policy has been up to this point.

44 machines ranging from 5 to 9 years old, all running XP of course are to be replaced. Only need the desktops, no monitors.

Aside from buying a handful of servers from Dell 3 years ago, we don't really have a established relationship with any large vendor. Desktops have been purchased as needed from various online vendors (Provantage, Amazon, NewEgg, etc..)

Dell business class computers and Lenovo's, in my experience, tend to be fairly rock solid. Lenovo though seems to have better support. Mostly they don't make me jump through hoops when I need warranty work or a replacement part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blackswordca posted:

Dell business class computers and Lenovo's, in my experience, tend to be fairly rock solid. Lenovo though seems to have better support. Mostly they don't make me jump through hoops when I need warranty work or a replacement part.

Make up an image for your standard system, send it to CDW, buy computers that come out of the box imaged and ready to go.

• Locked thread