Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
12 Icons in 13th Age is a weird choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yeah keeping Tweet on board is still going to be an automatic pass for me, namaste

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Did the orc lord die in an adventure somewhere or is this new lore?

I don't think so. I believe this is new lore. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

CitizenKeen posted:

12 Icons in 13th Age is a weird choice.

The idea I've seen floating around is that the 13th Icon is created by the GM, though this isn't mentioned in the beta book. There is supposed to be a beta GM Guide coming soon, so I think we'll see if it appears in there.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
There is this in the Kickstarter FAQ:

quote:

Why did you get rid of the Orc Lord?

Neither Rob nor Jonathan were psyched about having the Orc Lord as an icon in the Second Edition. They both felt that they hadn't done very much with the Orc Lord as a concept, and that anything they could do with him could easily be done with orc hordes instead. Plus, they thought it would be interesting to allow GMs and players to answer the question of what happened to the Orc Lord in their own campaign (and, the 12-panel GM Screen looked much better than a 13-panel one would've).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Also we can just say he still exists if we want to :V

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Also we can just say he still exists if we want to :V

NO

I will come to your gaming table and slap the dice out of your hand

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

NO

I will come to your gaming table and slap the dice out of your hand

Yay! New player!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's much easier to roll for a random icon out of 12 if you need to.

Also the whole idea of orcs in fantasy settings is being reevaluated. I kinda feel like it would have been a good opportunity to scratch half-orcs and make a playable orc kin, too, not that anything keeps me from striking out "half-" in my games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Prince of Shadows wasn't on the old D12, but he was responsible whenever the die fell under the table.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Replacing the Orc Lord with generic orc hordes sounds more like a step backwards than a re-evaluation

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tarnop posted:

Replacing the Orc Lord with generic orc hordes sounds more like a step backwards than a re-evaluation

I mean, it's on-brand; they brought Tweet back after all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It sounds like fighters are still random and barbarians got more so?

No news on whether monks still have three stats, too, I guess.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I appreciate the in depth write up from the last page. I can't say I'm too fired up about it, between keeping Tweet on board and some of the weird choices. I don't like the barbarian changes from the sound of them, though I'll have to read through myself. The barbarian was good for less rules invested players and sounds more fiddly now without being any more flavorful.

I'll probably try the playtest documents, but when I think about my RPG budget I'm a lot more excited for other stuff than this new edition.

Plus.. 13th Age Glorantha took a long time to come out, didn't it? And the playtest documents stalled way behind their timeline. I imagine it will be quite a while before the books really come out.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's much easier to roll for a random icon out of 12 if you need to.

Also the whole idea of orcs in fantasy settings is being reevaluated. I kinda feel like it would have been a good opportunity to scratch half-orcs and make a playable orc kin, too, not that anything keeps me from striking out "half-" in my games.

I liked the idea of having the Orc Lord since it meant the orcs had more agency and maybe more concrete goals in the setting. The Orc Lord gave a face to the generally faceless horde. So while the Orc Lord wasn't my favorite icon, I'm sorry to see him go for that reason. I'll keep him in my games, it's not an issue at all, but the justification of "we didn't know what to do with him so we figured no one else did either" is odd.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lord knows where those Chaos Mage spells come from now

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

It sounds like fighters are still random and barbarians got more so?

No news on whether monks still have three stats, too, I guess.

Nope, flexible attacks are gone for both fighters and bards, replaced by more straightforward abilities.

Monks aren't in the book so nothing to report there.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Rob posted a correction to the ongoing damage rules in the beta playtest doc:

quote:

Here's the text that should have been in the Critical Hits section and in the ongoing damage notes on page 278, and isn't. We tested what's currently in the book and it was too evil, these are the actual rules:

Ongoing damage is also doubled when you crit, but only for the first turn. For example, an attack that deals 5 ongoing damage scores a crit. At the end of the target’s next turn, they’ll take 10 ongoing damage, but if they fail the save, that ongoing damage drops back to 5.

As a rule, other conditions and effects of damage are not doubled. GMs are free to break this rule for their favored monsters and make non-damage effects worse on a crit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sionak posted:

I liked the idea of having the Orc Lord since it meant the orcs had more agency and maybe more concrete goals in the setting. The Orc Lord gave a face to the generally faceless horde. So while the Orc Lord wasn't my favorite icon, I'm sorry to see him go for that reason. I'll keep him in my games, it's not an issue at all, but the justification of "we didn't know what to do with him so we figured no one else did either" is odd.

Yeah, same. I thought it was specifically nice to establish orcs at the same level of cosmological and setting importance as elves and dwarves and demons and dragons. I mean, I guess 3e technically did too with Grumsh, but it never remotely felt like that one stuck in subsequent books.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

waderockett posted:

Rob posted a correction to the ongoing damage rules in the beta playtest doc:
That sounds a bit like a tracking issue. Hm.

Why not just have it do the ongoing amount right away on a crit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey 13A pros! I just made a couple of posts in the chat thread touching on my current troubles converting Stone Thief to Strike! I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has run Stone Thief and especially run it with a large-ish group who engaged in the "huge battle" on page 80.

My posts here and here.

I'm happy to discuss here or in the chat thread. I've been aiming to be vague enough to not have any real spoilers for others who might be playing the campaign. I'm mainly wondering if there's any GM tech that exists in 13A that I might be unaware of that makes having 50 monsters in play run smoother, or hearing about the experiences people have had with that.

My current best plan is to hack together a "series of running battles" system, which could be cool on its own, but which would probably make the whole thing take like 2 full sessions. Or abstract it away with a "Team Conflict" (Strike!'s improved version of a 4e-style Skill Challenge) I dunno! I can't convert the monsters directly to Strike! and run it as-is. My players are reaching the end of the section before that section, so I have a couple of weeks to figure something out.