Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

God this comic is so close to being good

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a certain appeal to this guy who when asked to give sage advice to a troubled demigod, he decides to gently caress around and further confuse her. There's a certain defeatism involved, he can't stop her and she's probably going to ruin everything for everyone no matter what he does, so might as well make fun of her.

Or at least that's why he would be doing this if it were better written.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Skellybones posted:

There's a certain appeal to this guy who when asked to give sage advice to a troubled demigod, he decides to gently caress around and further confuse her. There's a certain defeatism involved, he can't stop her and she's probably going to ruin everything for everyone no matter what he does, so might as well make fun of her.

Or at least that's why he would be doing this if it were better written.

No, he actually is trying to help, although he is also making fun of her.

His point seems to be "you're always going to feel bad about what you do if you can't figure out what the rule you're living by actually is."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
No, I like my version more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Both his initial hand-patting and the conclusion of his self-debate are pretty bluntly telling her she made the right decision :shrug:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Flesh Forge posted:

Both his initial hand-patting and the conclusion of his self-debate are pretty bluntly telling her she made the right decision :shrug:

I mean not to defend the comic (because its dumb), but the hand patting was before he knew what she did, when all he knew was that she was sad

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

He thought it was going to be some regular university moping, now he knows she's kidnapping people he's just trying to get out of here without her snapping his neck or anything.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
for some reason the writer is having her focus on the incident with max, which isn't interesting at all because it was contrived and not actually that much of a big deal and had mostly positive effects in the end so the only fallout is going to be that maybe allison will feel like she's a bad person from a philosophical standpoint, instead of the way more serious and interesting ethical dilemma which is that her supervillain ex is kidnapping, drugging and mind-mugging physicists to learn time travel for unspecified purposes and she for some reason is not doing anything to stop him and doesn't seem to particularly care

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm hoping she goes back to class and finds the prof gave her an A for the whole semester. It would break her. :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm hoping she goes back to class and finds the prof gave her an A for the whole semester. It would break her. :v:

Better yet, it turns out he's not a real professor, so she's torn whether or not his insightful advice was actually good.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You get what you pay for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I mean not to defend the comic (because its dumb), but the hand patting was before he knew what she did, when all he knew was that she was sad

Sure, but then the conclusion of his self-debate is to look straight at Allison (and the reader) and say "unless We Are All In This Together!" Yes he presented various arguments both ways, but that's the grand finale. It's not ambiguous at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Avshalom posted:

for some reason the writer is having her focus on the incident with max, which isn't interesting at all because it was contrived and not actually that much of a big deal and had mostly positive effects in the end so the only fallout is going to be that maybe allison will feel like she's a bad person from a philosophical standpoint, instead of the way more serious and interesting ethical dilemma which is that her supervillain ex is kidnapping, drugging and mind-mugging physicists to learn time travel for unspecified purposes and she for some reason is not doing anything to stop him and doesn't seem to particularly care

My theory: That's a lot harder to write, plus it does not involve torturing rich libertarian shitbirds

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

My theory: That's a lot harder to write, plus it does not involve torturing rich libertarian shitbirds

my theory: max had to return to his home planet

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Flesh Forge posted:

Sure, but then the conclusion of his self-debate is to look straight at Allison (and the reader) and say "unless We Are All In This Together!" Yes he presented various arguments both ways, but that's the grand finale. It's not ambiguous at all.

and literally follows it up right away with "and that's what a tyrant would say"

sorry dude this comic is crap but so is your reading comprehension

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I guess you could try to take some "truth is in the middle" meaning from that but he goes on to explain that maybe tyrants are actually not bad, like that old Lincoln rascal. He is not a very good Jimminy Cricket at all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

t-rexes were p rad i guess

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i genuinely like the insane philosophy professor and wish he was the main character

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's been more fun than most of the recent stuff, yes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

t-rexes were p rad i guess

Giant monster lizards? Yeah.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loff

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Professor is best character.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

THANK YOU.

Finally someone called her on her bullshit morality.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He is speaking for me.

Now if ge could only say that the story has gone on for way too long.

e: This is why it's dumb to focus on what idiot an author must be if they write a terrible story. They might not be that stupid.

(Even if they are idiots it's still dumb to talk on and on about it.)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 24, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The professor makes some good points, but unfortunately the situation is not much of a grey area. His mono/dialogue would have worked for Batman who tortured a petty criminal guy to get to Penguin, or with Superman who beat up seemingly reformed Lex Luthor on some suspicion. Here, it's like with the white supremacist guy who got punched in the face. Even if you oppose violence, it's hard to care about this specific instance too much, because it's very minor and the victim is a bit poo poo. The strawman Clevin Fountainhead wasn't too far from a nazi in terms of personal ideology and general insufferableness, and his all things considered mild coercion had no negative consequences as far as we know.

Maybe if she also remembered the flamethrower hero she killed at the hospital, then maybe the whole remorse think could make more sense. Because he's completely dead, unlike the rich dude who is still very much alive and well.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 24, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nice setup Dr. Jerkshoes, there's no way that will lead to a triumphant epiphany on the next page

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Now it's a shonen manga. There are worse directions this could have taken.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

The strawman Clevin Fountainhead wasn't too far from a nazi in terms of personal ideology and general insufferableness, and his all things considered mild coercion had no negative consequences as far as we know.

That guy was a tosser but Allison has now created a precedence (assuming it already wasn't in effect somewhere in the world) where a person can have their civil rights (assuming their country respects those) violated in order to utilize their ability for the greater good. (Is this enough parenthetical statements?). Like it or not, he had a choice on whether or not to use his powers and he chose not too. That happens all the time everywhere in the world; people who can choosing not too for personal reasons. Feral volunteered for her service because she wanted to do some good not just shave off time from her jail sentence. And as far as we know nobody coerced her into perpetual torture. Max however was now forced to use his powers and I don't think that could be considered Mild or no negative consequences. Now he has to live in with the realized fear of people coming to his house in the dead of night, black bagging him, and taking wherever to do whatever they want.

Would you feel like the situation was less justified if Max wasn't a completely unlikable strawman?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I hope she embraces it and the comic becomes about her flying around breaking kneecaps and dislocating shoulders of the 1% and taking their poo poo and giving it to broke rear end people all over the world, that'd be OK :shrug:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Max however was now forced to use his powers and I don't think that could be considered Mild or no negative consequences. Now he has to live in with the realized fear of people coming to his house in the dead of night, black bagging him, and taking wherever to do whatever they want.

Would you feel like the situation was less justified if Max wasn't a completely unlikable strawman?

Yeah, this event is likely to be life changing and traumatic for Max and if he weren't a bastard it would be harder to make an argument that Allison's action could be justified. Since the comic wants to have that argument, it's easier if Max is completely unlikable. Though it certainly could have been done without resorting to that. Also the dude's mom is a congresswoman with influence, and he has vast riches/connections at his disposal. He may not be able to get to Allison directly but he could easily gently caress up a lot of people she cares about. There is still plenty of room for lots of consequences.

I'm glad the prof is pushing her to make a choice one way or the other and decide for herself. It's a good outcome from this conversation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Max will never be seen again after this chapter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Max will realize that he should work to do good, and thanks Allison for making him a better person.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Allison will get distracted and get obsessed over something else really dumb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Max will realize that he should work to do good, and thanks Allison for making him a better person.

I'd honestly be pretty down with that but no way he makes it out of this chapter alive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Flesh Forge posted:

Max will never be seen again after this chapter.

We'll see his corpse washing down a river and no one will care.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Is this trying to go for a 'words and intents are meaningless unless you can force them upon others in one fashion or another' moral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somebody pointed out to me that one of the earliest pages of the comic showed Allison's catchphrase to be "Might Makes Right!" I read it at the time and forgot about it.

• Locked thread