Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Goddamn, that's pretty terrible. I knew about the event handler leak but the rest come as a surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

idontcare posted:

So does .net core not support SignalR at all?

I know SignalR is better than just pure WebSockets and all that, but this is an opportunity for me to post my minimalist tiniest self-contained ASP.NET Core WebSockets sample :)

code:
// Minimal WebSocket with ASP.NET Core
// =====================================
// 1. Add a NuGet reference to "Microsoft.AspNetCore.WebSockets.Server": "0.1.0"
// 2. Replace your Program.cs with this code, and run it
// 3. Run the server, and navigate your browser to the server's "localhost" address...
//    * The server will serve up a simple HTML+JS page. The HTML has a button and a text area.
//      The JS opens a websocket connection, and then each time you click the button it sends a "CLICK" websocket
//      message to the server.
//      And the JS listens for incoming messages over the websocket, and displays them in the text area.
//    * The server will also listen for websocket connection requests. It handles websockets just by echoing back
//      what it received.

using System;
using System.Threading;
using System.Net.WebSockets;
using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder;
using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting;
using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Http;

public class Program
{
    public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        new WebHostBuilder()
            .UseKestrel()
            .UseIISIntegration()
            .UseStartup<Program>()
            .Build()
            .Run();
    }

public void Configure(IApplicationBuilder app)
    {
        app.UseWebSockets();
        app.Use(async (http, next) =>
        {
            if (!http.WebSockets.IsWebSocketRequest) { await next(); return; }
            using (var socket = await http.WebSockets.AcceptWebSocketAsync())
            {
                while (socket.State == WebSocketState.Open)
                {
                    var buf = new ArraySegment<byte>(new byte[1024]);
                    var received = await socket.ReceiveAsync(buf, CancellationToken.None);
                    if (received.MessageType != WebSocketMessageType.Text) continue;
                    await socket.SendAsync(buf, received.MessageType, received.EndOfMessage, CancellationToken.None);
                };
            }
        });
        app.Run(async (context) =>
        {
            var html = @"<html><head><script>
                           let connection = new WebSocket('ws://???');
                           connection.onopen = function()      { document.getElementById('log').innerText += '\nOPEN'; };
                           connection.onmessage = function(ev) { document.getElementById('log').innerText += '\n' + ev.data; };
                           connection.onerror = function(ev)   { document.getElementById('log').innerText += '\nERROR'; };
                           connection.onclose = function()     { document.getElementById('log').innerText += '\nCLOSE'; };
                         </script></head><body>
                           <button onClick='connection.send(""CLICK"");'>Click me</button>
                           <pre id='log'></pre>
                         </body></html>";
            html = html.Replace("???", context.Request.Host.ToString()); // our URL depending on IIS vs Kestrel
            context.Response.ContentType = "text/html";
            await context.Response.WriteAsync(html);
        });
    }
}

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Is it really possible that .NET Framework's implementation of Canonical XML 1.0, implemented since .NET 1.1, is incorrect? Or am I missing something crucial here?

See https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3002812 and https://github.com/sandersaares/xml-c14n-whitespace-defect for a description. In short, .NET Framework appears to (incorrectly) strip whitespace.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

EssOEss posted:

Is it really possible that .NET Framework's implementation of Canonical XML 1.0, implemented since .NET 1.1, is incorrect? Or am I missing something crucial here?

See https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3002812 and https://github.com/sandersaares/xml-c14n-whitespace-defect for a description. In short, .NET Framework appears to (incorrectly) strip whitespace.

I didn't look too deeply into it, but as a quick response, per the documentation from XmlDocument.Load(), emphasis mine:

quote:

The Load method always preserves significant white space. The PreserveWhitespace property determines whether or not insignificant white space, that is white space in element content, is preserved. The default is false; white space in element content is not preserved.

If you set PreserveWhitespace to true before loading your input XML, that may fix your whitespace problem.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
There is a ton of EF Migration documentation and blog/forum/q&a posts, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

The scenario is:
  • You write some code, which includes some new code-first migrations
  • You build your code and package it into an installer, setup.2.2.exe
  • You take that installer and upgrade your client's machine, which applies all pending migrations
  • You realize you've made a terrible mistake, and install the previous version of your software, setup.2.1.exe
  • You're greeted with "Unable to update database to match the current model because there are pending changes and automation migration is disabled."

My software sets the EF initializer like so:
C# code:
Database.SetInitializer<DataContext>(new MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion<DataContext, MyProject.Migrations.Configuration>());
Here is Configuration:
C# code:
public sealed class Configuration : DbMigrationsConfiguration<MyProject.DataContext>
{
	public Configuration()
	{
		AutomaticMigrationsEnabled = false;
	}

protected override void Seed(MyProject.DataContext context)
	{
		// blah blah
	}
}
My understanding is that AutomaticMigrationsEnabled = true is for projects that don't use Add-Migration/Update-Database. My team uses Add-Migration/Update-Database all the time, and we sometimes tweak the resulting migration code to execute some extra SQL or specify database-level defaults when adding columns, etc.

So how do we hit the panic button and install a previous version of our software (hasn't happened yet, but it will) while still using Add-Migration/Update-Database during development? It was my false assumption that MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion actually meant "migrate the db up or down to my latest migration".

Edit: PS we're using EF 6.1.3, VS 2015, .NET 4.5

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 2, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Because the DB is already on a higher version you cannot downgrade? Seems reasonable.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

biznatchio posted:

I didn't look too deeply into it, but as a quick response, per the documentation from XmlDocument.Load(), emphasis mine:

If you set PreserveWhitespace to true before loading your input XML, that may fix your whitespace problem.

Thanks! That helps a lot! This changes the situation somewhat in new and exicting ways. With PreserveWhitespace + XML Schema, the transform is actually correct! Without XML Schema, behavior remains incorrect - .NET Framework encodes the 0x0D character in newlines instead of stripping it.

I have a schema, so good news for me in all the scenarios I care about!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Because the DB is already on a higher version you cannot downgrade? Seems reasonable.

Seems reasonable that you cannot ever downgrade the database?

Then what are all these DbMigrations with Up() and Down() overrides?

C# code:
public partial class AddedBeltStartAlarm : DbMigration
{
	public override void Up()
	{
		AddColumn("dbo.PlantParameters", "BeltStartAlarm", c => c.Int(nullable: false));
	}

public override void Down()
	{
		DropColumn("dbo.PlantParameters", "BeltStartAlarm");
	}
}

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

epalm posted:

My understanding is that AutomaticMigrationsEnabled = true is for projects that don't use Add-Migration/Update-Database. My team uses Add-Migration/Update-Database all the time, and we sometimes tweak the resulting migration code to execute some extra SQL or specify database-level defaults when adding columns, etc.

So how do we hit the panic button and install a previous version of our software (hasn't happened yet, but it will) while still using Add-Migration/Update-Database during development? It was my false assumption that MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion actually meant "migrate the db up or down to my latest migration".

Edit: PS we're using EF 6.1.3, VS 2015, .NET 4.5

Version 2.1 doesn't know how to downgrade from version 2.2 because both the Up and the Down methods for the migration are stored in version 2.2. In order to make this work, you would need to add a manual option in version 2.2 to downgrade to the 2.1 version of the database. You can do this with the DbMigrator class and specifying a specific migration in the Update method.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ah right, silly me. That makes sense, only 2.2 knows about how it got there.

Even with all the QA in the world, sometimes a bad version gets out there, and the fastest way to get back up and running is to revert to the previous version (industrial software, time is money). But executing DbMigrator.Update in the running application seems weird and risky, the app will basically pull the rug out from under itself.

What's the Right Way to handle this?

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 3, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

epalm posted:

Even with all the QA in the world, sometimes a bad version gets out there, and the fastest way to get back up and running is to revert to the previous version (industrial software, time is money). But executing DbMigrator.Update in the running application seems weird and risky, the app will basically pull the rug out from under itself.

I don't how fast you need to this, is this always after an update? Or is it after some time?

If it usually directly after an upgrade it might be easier to use something like a VM snapshot? Or a DB backup and restore?

There are some pretty robust ways of accomplishing what you want without using C#. Just saying.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't how fast you need to this, is this always after an update? Or is it after some time?

Yeah, I was thinking about timeline earlier. Could happen either way, right? On one hand it could be right after installing, on the other a bug could sit there for a week before crippling the software in a way that downgrading to the previous version is better/cheaper/faster than getting a fix out to the client. We write software for an industry that sees "new" things as bad and scary, so "put it back to the way it was" is a frequent sentiment (whether misguided or not).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

epalm posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about timeline earlier. Could happen either way, right? On one hand it could be right after installing, on the other a bug could sit there for a week before crippling the software in a way that downgrading to the previous version is better/cheaper/faster than getting a fix out to the client. We write software for an industry that sees "new" things as bad and scary, so "put it back to the way it was" is a frequent sentiment (whether misguided or not).

I'm not sure how often this is the case. How much testing do you put into your downgrade scripts to ensure that they don't break things even worse in the hypothetical scenario you're considering?

One thing you can do is to have two phases of each release - one release with just the new database version, and then the real release with the actual logic and code changes that depend on those database changes. This gives you an intermediate point (the old version of the program, running against the new database) that you can safely roll back to. And if it turns out you do need to roll back the database migration, you can use that intermediate point to do so without causing any issues in code that relies on the upgraded database.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

epalm posted:

Not sure what the EF-sanctioned way of doing this is, but off the top of my head, what about having a downgrade stored proc that gets replaced with each new version and which reverts the db structure back to the previous version (from the sounds of it, your users don't typically skip versions? could make the downgrade proc more intelligent by giving it a target version to revert to). Then, when you run your previous version's installer, it sees that the db version is ahead of what it's expecting and executes the downgrade script.
An alternative, although messier, approach would be to have your newer installer leave a downgrade.dll somewhere which the older installer loads up somehow, and then executes the Down migration via EF's mechanisms, which might be necessary to keep the EF migration tracking properly synced.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

epalm posted:

Off the top of my head, you could ship the migration code as a separate library that only exposes a MigrateTo(Version versionNumber) method. Then you configure your installation tool so that, if it finds a newer-but-still-compatible (use semver) version of the migration library already installed on the machine, it uses that one instead of the bundled-in version when executing the migration part of the install process. Provide an option to skip that check, just on the off-chance you ship a broken migration library.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm a little surprised that there isn't an established way to roll forwards/backwards even though EF provides a mechanism to do so (without resorting to AutomaticMigrationsEnabled = true which as far as I can tell, makes no sense for any non-trivial well-versioned application).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll think about it and proceed.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Managing database migrations with an ORM tool scares the poo poo out of me.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
We borrowed this guy's code https://github.com/mrahhal/Migrator.EF6 for a command line utility we provide alongside the packages using the database. We added a couple extra bits and pieces that he didn't include out of the box, like the ability to list pending migrations as well as applied migrations, but it's otherwise pretty complete.

e: we also provide some PowerShell DSC scripts that use it, but they're optional and the guys doing the installs have the ability to get update scripts out of it. This is necessary because some of our customer sites (hospitals) have the world's most anal DBAs and we're lucky if we get execute on our own stored procedures.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Anyone good with with web APIs that require POST requests to be called? It turns out I've literally never done this and I don't even know what the right questions are to ask, so I'm finding everything super confusing. This is the documentation I have, with the actual data removed and replaced with <name of data>:
code:
<URL>
Headers:
accessKey: <accessKey>
version:v2
Post Parameters:
format:xml
listID:<listID>
SubscribersData:
XML Body: 
<SUBSCRIBERINFO>
    <SUBSCRIBER>
        <FIRSTNAME>Joe</FIRSTNAME>
         <LASTNAME>Smith</LASTNAME>
        <CELLPHONENUMBER>18184459595</CELLPHONENUMBER>
        <REFERENCEID>abc78290</REFERENCEID> 
    </SUBSCRIBER>
</SUBSCRIBERINFO>
And I've written this so far:
code:
WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("<URL>");
request.Method = "POST";
request.Headers.Add("accessKey:<accessKey>");
request.Headers.Add("version:v2");

Stream requestStream;
byte[] parameterStream;
parameterStream = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("listID:<listID>");
requestStream = request.GetRequestStream();
requestStream.Write(parameterStream, 0, parameterStream.Length);
requestStream.Close();

WebResponse response = request.GetResponse();
string rs;
using (Stream stream = response.GetResponseStream())
{
	StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(stream, Encoding.UTF8);
	rs = reader.ReadToEnd();
}

rs = request.ToString();
The response is complaining at me that I didn't give it a listID, so I seem to be screwing up in providing the post parameters (and yeah, I know I'm not giving it the format or SubscribersData parametes, I wanted to get one parameter working so I knew I was doing it right), but I copied that from StackOverflow and I don't know why it didn't work. This seems like something that ought to be obnoxiously basic, but, like... why isn't there a request.Parameters I can add to like I did with headers? What am I doing wrong?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'd use HttpClient instead of those classes you're using. I'm not on a windows machine right now but the answers here have examples of how to post with it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15176538/net-httpclient-how-to-post-string-value

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Post data is usually like:
ListId=<ListId>&Foo=Bar

Try using an equals instead. Also, I think you need to set the content length header entry.

Also see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144221.aspx for a one line solution.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 4, 2016

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Here is an example of a web API client from the Health Clinic example project:

BaseRequest.cs and DoctorsService.cs that derives from it.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I have a dashboard that shows a user their content. The content can have different versions and a few of the different versions are shown on the users dash (like if a piece of content is in draft, or if it's completed, etc). The way it works right now is the dashboard pings a MySQL db every some amount of seconds to see if anything new should be shown on that users dashboard. This puts a big load on the db obviously and needs to be changed.

A coworker of mine told me to look into using SignalR and Redis, both of which are new to me, but things I have briefly looked into as solutions. What I was thinking was after a new version of a piece of content is saved into the db, that same content also saves to Redis and a SignalR hub is used to send out the update to the appropriate user's dashboard if that user is connected. If the user is not connected, when they do connect the dashboard will read from Redis rather than the MySQL db to get their data. This all seems pretty straight forward so this is probably a dumb question to be asking, but this is a good way to go about this and SignalR and Redis are good choices for this, correct?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
A check every couple of seconds should not be that hard on the DB. Have you checked?

Adding Redis, SignalR and caching will open a whole lot of new stuff that can go wrong.

Edit: looking at mysql it can also cache queries: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/query-cache.html

Might be easier.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 4, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I ran into something today in C# which feels like it should work, but doesn't.

code:
IFoo foo = bar ?? baz;
Where foo and bar are different classes, but both implement IFoo.

This produces the message "Operator ?? cannot be applied to operands of type Bar and Baz".

Shouldn't this work? Is there a good reason that's not occurring to me why it can't?

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
If anyone's interested re: the memory leaks when binding to lists that don't implement INotifyCollectionChanged:

After some digging in the source it turns out this is only a temporary memory leak, there's some sort of counter you can decrease by creating more bindings to non-INCC lists, and if it reaches 0 it'll release the reference to your list. It's still terrible to deal with because it's really undefined when (and if ever) the list will be released, and the mechanism of forcing a release is insanely meh.

See also http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#PresentationFramework/src/Framework/MS/Internal/Data/ViewManager.cs,3127039be18ca345,references

quote:

Dev10 bug 452676 exposed a small flaw in this scheme. The "not shown"
strong reference from the collection to a view (via the CollectionChanged event)
turns out to be important. It keeps the view alive at least as
long as the collection, even if the app releases all its references to views.
If the collection doesn't expose INotifyCollectionChanged, this reference isn't
present, and you can draw a smaller dotted line around the views and the view
table that has no incoming strong references. This means the view table (and
the views) can get GC'd.
We can't fix this. We need that strong reference, but without an event there's
no way to get it (remember, we can't touch the collection itself). But we can
mitigate it.
Here's the mitigation. The view manager keeps a list of strong references to the
relevant view tables, each with an "expiration date" (an integer). At
each purge cycle, decrease the expiration dates and discard the ones that reach
zero. Whenever there is actual activity on a view table, reset its expiration
date to the initial value N. This keeps the view table alive for N purge cycles
after its last activity, so it can survive a short transition period of inactivity
such as the one in bug 452676. This will also keep the collection alive for up
to N purge cycles longer than before, which customer may perceive as a leak.

and

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/772206/wpf-combobox-itemssource-binding-possible-memory-leak

quote:

This is not a real leak. When the collection doesn't implement INotifyCollectionChanged, we do keep references "behind the scenes" - that's the purpose of ViewManager._inactiveViewTables (third box in your reference diagram). However, we eventually release this reference if it hasn't been used for several "cleanup passes". A cleanup pass is triggered by ViewManager activity, such as creating a new View (over some other collection).
For example, in your repro if you repeatedly click the button and dismiss the resulting window, the objects created for the first window will be released later - typically by the time you create the third or fourth window - and collected by the next subsequent GC.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

chippy posted:

code:
IFoo foo = bar ?? baz;

You need to cast one of the operands as an IFoo:

code:
IFoo foo = (IFoo)bar ?? baz;
IFoo foo = bar ?? (IFoo)baz;
which should then work.

The original doesn't work because the expression "bar ?? baz" isn't well-typed on its own without the compiler knowing that both of the arguments need to be treated as IFoos to produce an IFoo.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I was trying to do some obtusely functional programming in C# as an exercise -- I came across this "problem":

I have a class that is practically like Random<T> : IEnumerable<T>, that takes some generic type parameter T and resolves it to a iterator that spits out random values of that type.

I want for it to resolve array types by calling it's non-array Random<T> constructor, doing something like this (where typetable holds constructor definitions):

code:
static IEnumerable<dynamic> source(int count)
{
    foreach (
        T array 
        in (typetable[typeof(T).GetElementType()] 
        as IEnumerable<dynamic>)
        .Take(count)
        .ToArray())
        yield return array;
}
... but this throws a NullReferenceException. I tried evaluating:

code:
(typetable[typeof(T).GetElementType()] as IEnumerable<int>).Take(count).ToArray()
... in context in the watch window, and it returns a type int[], but when I use IEnumerable<dynamic> it throws a EntryPointNotFoundException, which seems pretty reasonable; The method for IEnumerable<dynamic> probably can't be inferred at run-time, right? If I really wanted to do this, I would have to specify it a bit better using reflection, correct? I'm just trying to understand the behavior better ...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Asymmetrikon posted:

You need to cast one of the operands as an IFoo:

code:
IFoo foo = (IFoo)bar ?? baz;
IFoo foo = bar ?? (IFoo)baz;
which should then work.

The original doesn't work because the expression "bar ?? baz" isn't well-typed on its own without the compiler knowing that both of the arguments need to be treated as IFoos to produce an IFoo.

Cool, thanks. I presumed the compiler should be smart enough to infer that from the fact that I was assigning to an IFoo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

dougdrums posted:

I was trying to do some obtusely functional programming in C# as an exercise -- I came across this "problem":

I have a class that is practically like Random<T> : IEnumerable<T>, that takes some generic type parameter T and resolves it to a iterator that spits out random values of that type.

I want for it to resolve array types by calling it's non-array Random<T> constructor, doing something like this (where typetable holds constructor definitions):

code:
{
    foreach (
        T array 
        as IEnumerable<dynamic>)
        .Take(count)
        .ToArray())
        yield return array;
}
... but this throws a NullReferenceException. I tried evaluating:

code:
(typetable[typeof(T).GetElementType()] as IEnumerable<int>).Take(count).ToArray()
... in context in the watch window, and it returns a type int[], but when I use IEnumerable<dynamic> it throws a EntryPointNotFoundException, which seems pretty reasonable; The method for IEnumerable<dynamic> probably can't be inferred at run-time, right? If I really wanted to do this, I would have to specify it a bit better using reflection, correct? I'm just trying to understand the behavior better ...

I believe there are two confusions amplifying each other here. The first is that I think you're misunderstanding dynamic - it doesn't mean "fill in this type at runtime." It's a specific type for which all operations are dispatched dynamically. (Or something like that.) The type for "I don't know what type this will be at compile time" is object. The second confusion is that you can't cast collections of one type into collections of a wider type, which is causing your as to return null, which is causing your exception.

That being all said, I have no idea what you're actually trying to do with your method there.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

dougdrums posted:

code:
{
    foreach (
        T array 
        as IEnumerable<dynamic>)
        .Take(count)
        .ToArray())
        yield return array;
}

I think, given the statement of your problem, that you're going to run into issues you can't resolve unless you use either reflection or two different methods. Is it correct to say that you have something that can generate a T, but for generating T[] or maybe List<T> you want to construct a T[] or List<T> and then delegate to a T generator to fill the array?

The problem you'll run into at compile time is that the compiler can't distinguish between a T or a T[] since T[] itself is a type. You can resolve this with two different methods, one for single types and another for list types. Optionally, you can use reflection to inspect the type of T to see if it's an array or list type and handle it as necessary.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, I knew that dynamic still enforces types, but just at run-time ... I don't know what I thought it would do with the type system that using object wouldn't, thanks for the reminder.

I'm trying to pipeline LINQ queries, in the grand scheme of things. I have a class Random<T> : Source<T> that is used to instantiate a source for random value types, along with a few other types. When I instantiate a new Random<T>(), the enumerator gets mapped to the source for that type. (By 'source' I mean an object that extends Source<T>, which implements ISource<out T>, which implements IEnumerable<T> ...)

There is a nested class, ByteArray(int count) : IEnumerable<byte[]>, that is a simple wrapper around CNGRandomNumberGenerator. All of the value types come from yielding BitConverter.To*() on a static instance of the ByteArray(sizeof(T)) source.

I'm trying to implement the constructor Random<T>(int count), where T is some single-dimension array type, and count is the length. I want it to provide a source of random arrays.

The problem is that Random<byte>() is a special case, it essentially boils down to ByteArray(1).Take(1).Single()[0]. It would be even more terrible than it already is to make a generic constructor that yields arrays, since this would take one byte at a time from ByteArray(1), which is silly. So I have the one case where T = byte[], and where T : every other Source<T> in the typetable.

I can't just do something like
code:
 typeof(T).Equals(typeof(byte[]))
	? new ByteArray(count)
	: typetable[typeof(T).GetElementType()]
because IEnumerable<byte[]> can't cast to IEnumerable<T>.

So more narrowly, what I'm trying to accomplish is something like:
code:
            var p = typetable[typeof(T).GetElementType()]
                as IEnumerable<object>;
            byte[] q = p.Take(count).ToArray();
which can't convert object[] into T, which makes sense I suppose (given the 'out' type variance, as you mentioned). I just am not sure if there's any good way (well, at this point) to accomplish this.

I'm a little slow to the draw:
I think that's what I should do, make another constructor for Random<List<T>> or just ByteArray(int).ToList(). Lists, in a functional program ?!? Who would have thought... PS thanks for taking the time to help me with this nonsense :)

I ended up doing this kinda gross thing:
code:
public sealed class Random<T> : ... 
{
    public sealed class Array : Source<T[]>
    {
        static readonly Random<T> random =
            new Random<T>();

Array(int count, ByteArray bytes = null)
            : base(()
                => bytes?.Take(1).Single() as T[]
                    ?? random.Take(count).ToArray())
        { }

public Array(int count) 
            : this(
                count, 
                typeof(T).Equals(typeof(byte)) 
                    ? new ByteArray(count) 
                    : null)
        { }
    }
}
but now I can type
code:
foreach (var array in new Random<byte>.Array(10))
    Console.WriteLine(string.Join(", ", array));
Which I guess isn't much different than if I just made an extension method :jeb:

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2016

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
So I'm using Redis for the first time and going over their docs regarding implementation. In the basic usage they say

quote:

The central object in StackExchange.Redis is the ConnectionMultiplexer class in the StackExchange.Redis namespace; this is the object that hides away the details of multiple servers. Because the ConnectionMultiplexer does a lot, it is designed to be shared and reused between callers. You should not create a ConnectionMultiplexer per operation.

so what's the implementation of that look like? Should I be creating a singleton and accessing the db that way for all client calls, or should I have a static ConnectionMultiplexer field somewhere.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

idontcare posted:

so what's the implementation of that look like? Should I be creating a singleton and accessing the db that way for all client calls, or should I have a static ConnectionMultiplexer field somewhere.

Basically, yes, you should have one instance of your multiplexer that everything references.

Scroll to the bottom of this blog post to see a decent implementation using Lazy<T>. Ignore the Task.Run stuff. http://gigi.nullneuron.net/gigilabs/setting-up-a-connection-with-stackexchange-redis/.

edit: Also you can ignore the lazy config options static value, that seems unnecessary. Just inline it into the lambda for multiplexer creation.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 5, 2016

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG
Alright, so today at work I ran into a bizarre method that looked something like this (forgot to copy it, but you'll get the gist):
code:
private object BuildSearchCriteria(Dictionary<string, object> searchCriteria)
{
    if(searchCriteria == null || !searchCriteria.Any())
    {
        return new { };
    }

if(searchCriteria.ContainsKey("someThing")
       && searchCriteria.ContainsKey("someOtherThing")
       && searchCriteria.ContainsKey("anotherThing"))
    {
        return new { someThing = searchCriteria["someThing"],
                     someOtherThing = searchCriteria["someOtherThing"],
                     anotherThing = searchCriteria["anotherThing"], };
    }

if (searchCriteria.ContainsKey("someThing") && searchCriteria.ContainsKey("anotherThing"))
    {
        return new { someThing = searchCriteria["someThing"],
                     anotherThing = searchCriteria["anotherThing"], };
    }

//more ifs go here

return new { };
}
Confused and disgusted by this, I went to the only place this code is called and found out that this object was being used as a parameter for a Dapper.SimpleCRUD's IEnumerable<T> GetList<T> method, specifically the "object whereConditions" parameter.

Dapper.SimpleCRUD uses an anonymous type to specify the Where clauses of the SQL it generates, but I'm confused as to why. On line 162, it calls GetAllProperties, which converts the anonymously-typed object it received into an IEnumerable of Properties, which it then converts to an array.

The whereProps array and the whereConditions object are then passed into the BuildWhere method on line 171. Inside it, the whereProps array is again converted into an array (because the method's signature is IEnumerable). It then enters a for loop iterating over this array (although for some reason the exit condition uses Count() instead of Length) where more weird stuff starts to happen, like using ElementAt() instead of square brackets to access an array's item, or calling GetScaffoldableProperties(sourceEntity).ToArray() even though sourceEntity isn't modified anywhere, and then iterating over that and at this point I pretty much gave up because I'm already pretty sure this is terrible code.

I originally meant to ask was if there were any performance benefits to using an anonymous object instead of the library itself providing some sort of WhereClause type and receiving an IEnumerable<WhereClause> but I started reading the code while writing this post and now I'm 99% sure this library is just poo poo and this post would be better off in the coding horrors thread

antpocas fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 5, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

As far as I know, an arbitrary anonymous object (as opposed to a compile-time-known one) is no more powerful and no more type-safe than a simple Dictionary<string, object>.

Sure it allows you to store values of different types, but since you can only check their types at runtime through .GetProperties() -> .PropertyType(), it's gonna be the same as calling typeof() on the dictionary values barring some corner cases with interfaces / inheritance (unlikely to happen in a list of loving search criteria, which are probably just primitives).

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

antpocas posted:

Dapper.SimpleCRUD stuff

It's definitely ugly, but I can see how he arrived at taking that anonymous object, at least.

He uses the object to construct a parameterized where clause and then passes the object straight through to Dapper on the Query and Execute methods, which Dapper then uses to fill the SQL parameters.

He probably wasn't sure how to construct that object otherwise?

It would be fairly simple to switch this around to take in an IEnumerable<Where> or similar, though.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 5, 2016

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

NihilCredo posted:

As far as I know, an arbitrary anonymous object (as opposed to a compile-time-known one) is no more powerful and no more type-safe than a simple Dictionary<string, object>.
Yeah, this is what I thought. I think it may even end up being slower, plus the way the whereCondition object is being created in our code is terrible to look at. I'm gonna see if my boss lets me switch to a different library or fork this one or something. I found some benchmarks and it looks like SimpleCRUD isn't very fast. This bit in particular doesn't look very performant :v:

ElMudo posted:

It's definitely ugly, but I can see how he arrived at taking that anonymous object, at least.

He uses the object to construct a parameterized where clause and then passes the object straight through to Dapper on the Query and Execute methods, which Dapper then uses to fill the SQL parameters.

He probably wasn't sure how to construct that object otherwise?

It would be fairly simple to switch this around to take in an IEnumerable<Where> or similar, though.
I can sort of understand taking an anonymously typed object as a parameter I guess, but dynamically creating this object from a set of optional parameters leads to messy code on the caller's side.

Also, I feel kinda bad calling the code someone put on the Internet because they thought it might be helpful to someone else poo poo :(

antpocas fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 5, 2016

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
EDIT: Resolved - Had to initialize the Vendors in the org model with

code:
        public Org()
        {
            this.Vendors = new HashSet<Vendor>();
        }
Just started with Entity Framework / code first. When the user creates a new organization, they can select any associated vendors that work with the organization.

My org model

code:
    public class Org
    {
        public int Id { get; set; }

[Required]
        public string Name { get; set; }

public virtual ICollection<Vendor> Vendors { get; set; }

}
My vendor model

code:
    public class Vendor
    {
        public int Id { get; set; }

[Required]
        public string Name { get; set; }

public virtual ICollection<VendorTech> VendorTechs { get; set; }

public virtual ICollection<Org> Orgs { get; set; }

}
An exception is thrown when I call org.Vendors.Add(a), saying that the Object reference isn't set to an instance of an object. EDIT: viewModel.VendorOne returns integer value 1. Without the .Add call, I am able to see all of the vendor's properties on the debug.writeline call

code:
        [Authorize]
        [HttpPost]
        public ActionResult Create(OrgFormViewModel viewModel)
        {
            var org = new Org
            {
                Name = viewModel.Name
            };

Vendor a = _context.Vendors.Find(viewModel.VendorOne);
            org.Vendors.Add(a);

System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(a.Name);

_context.Orgs.Add(org);
            _context.SaveChanges();
            return RedirectToAction("Index", "Home");
        }
I am stumbling my way through EF / LINQ and am sure I am missing something obvious - could anyone point it out to me?

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here ever created a Polyline with a million or more points in WPF or UWA? How that'd work out for you in regards to performance (redraws, resizing etc.)?