Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Wang_Tang posted:

I don't see anything inherently wrong with what he said, other than he could've phrased it better.

Quite a lot of people don't know what it's like to truely be poor. It's another story altogether living in a ghetto.

The urban poor aren't exclusively black, and I'm pretty sure majority white Appalachia has a good handle on what crushing poverty is like. It was a really dumb thing to say, and I can't imagine it won't come back to haunt him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

StickySweater posted:

Nevermind he's Jewish. Nevermind he's white. Nevermind Rutland, VT exists.

It's like he's trying to get people to vote Trump.

As a bonus the Twitter hot take is that Sanders thinks all black people live in ghettos. Which is actually a dumb interpretation and not at all what he said. But he did say white people don't know what it means to be poor god damnit bernie

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Wang_Tang posted:

I don't see anything inherently wrong with what he said

Bernievoter.txt

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

StickySweater posted:

I don't watch the Democratic Debates (because my blood pressure can't handle it) but apparently this was just said. Can anyone watching confirm?

Nevermind he's Jewish. Nevermind he's white. Nevermind Rutland, VT exists.

It's like he's trying to get people to vote Trump.

I was making dinner and had the debate on. I got to see this in real time. The funny part is that I thought he was doing pretty good, the crowd was loving him. I guess he was trying to play to the crowd too much? That's such a dumb thing to say, I'm one of those people that thinks white privilege extends beyond class, but holy cow, I grew up around a bunch of poor whites. I wonder how the media will respond to this, if they will at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izw7u1e3y7Y&t=129s

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Indigenous Honduran environmental activist Berta Cáceres was buried today, after being murdered by the American-backed coup government
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/06/murdered-honduran-activist-berta-caceres-buried-as-others-vows-to-continue-fight

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Dinesh has a new film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

If you don't know Dinesh, he's is about as crazed as they come, but he knows how to make this crap look good, I'll give him that. If only he would use his talent to make campy crazy hosed up poo poo I enjoy, like Alien conspiracies, I'd love him.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Looks like he meant to say that white people don't know what it's like to be poor black people that live in ghettos. Which is true. Misspoke a little but if you're not a troglodyte looking for something to be outraged about no matter what was really meant, it's what you latch on to.

Typical Pubbie posted:

As a bonus the Twitter hot take is that Sanders thinks all black people live in ghettos. Which is actually a dumb interpretation and not at all what he said. But he did say white people don't know what it means to be poor god damnit bernie

Are these poor people or hoarders?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fateo McMurray posted:

Looks like he meant to say that white people don't know what it's like to be poor black people that live in ghettos. Which is true. Misspoke a little but if you're not a troglodyte looking for something to be outraged about no matter what was really meant, it's what you latch on to.

It isn't obvious that he meant to say that. A long standing attack has been that Sanders cannot mentally separate race and class issues, that he is incapable of addressing racism separate from poverty, and that all his solutions to racial problems are "take down the big banks and solve income inequality." This quote supports that line of attack, reinforcing the notion that to Sanders, black problems = being poor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But why does he have a multiple caliber pistol? :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsWAuKSj-0

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

prepper food

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

Volcott posted:

The urban poor aren't exclusively black, and I'm pretty sure majority white Appalachia has a good handle on what crushing poverty is like. It was a really dumb thing to say, and I can't imagine it won't come back to haunt him.

I know that. But after seeing Twitter rage about how "white people are poor too!" it seemed quite similar to the "all lives matter!" reactions that BLM received. A whole lot of "I work hard so I won't be poor!" and "poverty is colorblind" and "they're ignoring the real victims", ultimately not understanding that poverty affects a greater percentage of other ethnicities than whites.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There are factors that make racism really terrible. There are factors that make being in the lower class really terrible. It is the meeting of those two that make being both a minority and poor more devastating than being white and poor. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

I may or may not have deliberately misworded that paragraph to entice further semantic arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P19cITi7fY

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

There are factors that make racism really terrible. There are factors that make being in the lower class really terrible. It is the meeting of those two that make being both a minority and poor more devastating than being white and poor. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

What is apparently hard for you to understand is that intersectionality does not invalidate the struggle of the white poor, yet you can't help but to frame the discussion that way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:quebec:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

shrike82 posted:

prepper food

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37...UVwYnNhxdmTzWyQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Narcissistic wankers?

A proposed platform for launching nuclear armed ICBMs from dirigibles.
A positive feature: "it's good for the environment"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Guavanaut posted:

Narcissistic wankers?

To be fair the Yukon just got then Internet. They probably just got confused looking for this guy:

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Narcissistic wankers?

Lol. How is this better than a truck?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Guavanaut posted:

Narcissistic wankers?

ICBMs are so Cold War. Drones are très chic for modern warfare. You can still keep the dirigible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAlMPEn7-9A

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol. How is this better than a truck?

Basically back in the day the Air Force wanted the MX Missile (taken into service as the Peacekeeper and then retired in favor of the older Minuteman missiles for ~reasons~), but congress wanted them to provide alternatives for whatever reason.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a956443.pdf

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Here's a video of a chef trying those evangelical survivalist "rations" with exactly the reaction you'd expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2A5csyMfw0

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

C.M. Kruger posted:

Basically back in the day the Air Force wanted the MX Missile (taken into service as the Peacekeeper and then retired in favor of the older Minuteman missiles for ~reasons~), but congress wanted them to provide alternatives for whatever reason.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a956443.pdf

I'm glad the Air Force was in the business of designing Metal Gears

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'm glad the Air Force was in the business of designing Metal Gears

Was?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a19262/pentagon-announces-arsenal-plane-platform/

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Had some friends at that con and while everyone was apparently really worried at first it turned out ok. Little kids were overjoyed at the presence of giant animals and the almost entirely Canadian/PNW crowd did great work as usual being super nice and respectful. Helps that it was a small con, something bigger would could have been an awkward disaster.

Hearing the dispatches about it left me pretty :unsmith: despite how small the number of refugees getting into Canada is at the moment.

Have some content.

Edit: Here better content

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 8, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

StickySweater posted:

Dinesh has a new film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

If you don't know Dinesh, he's is about as crazed as they come, but he knows how to make this crap look good, I'll give him that. If only he would use his talent to make campy crazy hosed up poo poo I enjoy, like Alien conspiracies, I'd love him.

Dinesh owns and everyone here should watch his Obama "documentary".

also round up all furries and put them in camps with forced counseling

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Part of me thinks that is super sweet
The other part is recoiling in revulsion. I really hope the suits were cleaned before this. (What am I saying it's a nerd con, holding everyone in them to normal standards of hygiene and cleanliness is a pipe dream.)

The Boeing X-32. I think it looks like if an Obese person with serious goitre became a plane.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 8, 2016

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Part of me thinks that is super sweet
The other part is recoiling in revulsion. I really hope the suits were cleaned before this. (What am I saying it's a nerd con, holding everyone in them to normal standards of hygiene and cleanliness is a pipe dream.)

Farfour Con 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Yeah, gently caress walls, and tables too!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Some highlights

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2yWMQqe8Ws

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Boeing X-32. I think it looks like if an Obese person with serious goitre became a plane.

Oh boy. Here's the competition that beat it, the loving joke of a "multi-use" (read: does nothing well enough to compete with cheaper planes in any role it tries to fill) combat aircraft, which has cost somewhere upwards of a quarter of a trillion dollars to the American taxpayer by my last count, and is probably a death trap for the pilot to boot.

That's:
$250 Billion+ for this one useless government handout to Lockheed Martin
$68 Billion total federal US 2016 budget for education which actually loving matters

Just a reminder for anyone who isn't following this embarrassment to engineering and humanity in general and our country in particular.

Fun fact: I was at an aerospace conference with one of the Boeing designers of the X-32 who shared a great story. He informed the audience of his talk that when the X-32 and X-35 (F-35 test) were parked next to each other, he knew Boeing was going to lose the competition because the flight control tower left their radio on and everyone, including the military officials, could hear them referring to the X-35 as "Rachel" and the X-32 as "Monica". "Because Monica was the fat one!" he helpfully let us know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Literally Esoteric posted:

Oh boy. Here's the competition that beat it, the loving joke of a "multi-use" (read: does nothing well enough to compete with cheaper planes in any role it tries to fill) combat aircraft, which has cost somewhere upwards of a quarter of a trillion dollars to the American taxpayer by my last count, and is probably a death trap for the pilot to boot.

That's:
$250 Billion+ for this one useless government handout to Lockheed Martin
$68 Billion total federal US 2016 budget for education which actually loving matters

Just a reminder for anyone who isn't following this embarrassment to engineering and humanity in general and our country in particular.

Fun fact: I was at an aerospace conference with one of the Boeing designers of the X-32 who shared a great story. He informed the audience of his talk that when the X-32 and X-35 (F-35 test) were parked next to each other, he knew Boeing was going to lose the competition because the flight control tower left their radio on and everyone, including the military officials, could hear them referring to the X-35 as "Rachel" and the X-32 as "Monica". "Because Monica was the fat one!" he helpfully let us know.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

It's since been taken down. But :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kelvron posted: