Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Looks like you got them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Poque posted:

I got so many drat Dragoons this year. It felt like I was being randomized toward it. Dragoon Dragoon Ninja Ninja wasn't hard but it was boring as all hecks.

What were everybody's most-fun and least-fun runs this year?

I hear the Dragoon thing. I got assigned Dragoon 4 times in 3 runs. For my second through fourth runs, there were the first job EVERY SINGLE TIME. I also got a second one for Fire on that second run. Thank goodness I opted to reroll that one, because that rerolled into Chemist and having to do a run with Dragoon/Monk/Dragoon/Dancer would've been a horribly unfun run. As it was, Chemist carried that team.

Most-Fun:
Run 6 (Chaos): Summoner/Time Mage/Geomancer/Red Mage
Worlds 1 and 2: Summoner blasted away everything while Time Mage ran support with Haste/Slow. Red Mage and Geomancer were there.
World 3: Dualcasted Summons and Meteor-Quick-Meteor-Meteor-Meteor-Meteor. :getin:
To this day I hate Gilgabot for never giving me Time Mage, I've had it twice and had to specifically Job Fair request it both times. Haste/Slow, Teleport, Return, Float, Comet/Meteor are all fun as poo poo to play with.

Honorable Mentions:
Run 3 (Pure Chaos): Dragoon/Ninja/Red Mage/Chemist
Despite my bitchings about getting so many Dragoons, they synergized well with the rest of this team. Ninja, in addition to being a solid unit themselves, gave both Dual-Wield to Dragoon for double lance jumps and Throw to Red Mage for surprisingly effective crowd control damage. And of course, CHEMIST.

Run 5 (Pure Chaos): Blue Mage/Black Mage/Summoner/Chemist
I really shouldn't have to say anything about this team. It was perhaps the single most broken team I could've been assigned. The only reason I didn't have more fun with it is because I was burned out on FFV at that point and spent like 6 weeks goofing off before I got back to it.

Least-Fun:
Run 1 (Blame Everhate Mode): QUADZERKS! :black101::black101::black101::black101:
Again, self-explanitory. While they had their moments, Sandworm and Neo Exdeath ruined any love I might have had for this team. gently caress GRAND CROSS RIGHT UP THE rear end, I HATE THAT MOVE IT RUINED MY LIFE

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Most Fun
Run 6 - Random 750
Black Red Geo White
Honestly the best synergy of any of my runs, even if grinding to dual cast wasn't 100% pleasant, but definitely worth it. Red was in the best slot, where it was still relevant and a good healer until the real one showed up.

Runners Up
Run 9 - Pure Chaos
Thief Mime Time Mage Chemist
Sadly I lacked real synergy to make the Mime shine which is why it isn't best. But obviously I can't complain when 2 very broken classes are involved, and even Thief giving me one of the best ways to bypass Chicken Knife !Flee, and painless power grinding (~80 power by the time I got it, usually below 40 on other runs). Since it was the last run I had to rush and therefore made my squishy people underleveled and even more squishy. Running to feed the knife didn't help of course. Lack of funds kept me from getting quite as many elixirs as I wanted for Mix, but not a deal breaker. Haste (not from the mage) made a lot of waste by just poor planning and decisions (!mix to cast float in World 2, rather than using the stupid spell)

Run 1 - Normal Zerk Risk
Blue Zerk Ninja Dancer
Simple and direct, just like an axe to the face.

Least Fun
Run 2 - Chaos
Samurai Ranger Dragoon Zerker
Very very back loaded. Even if it was against RKs wishes and spirit of the event, just had to GS the classes so I could actually do something rather than Freelance through 3/4 of World 1. Also very poor synergy aside from maybe Samurai/Ranger Rapid Fire. Dragoon could benefit from any of the others, but Dragoon is just so... mediocre.

Run 3 wasn't much better. PureChaos Dragoon Knight Ranger Dancer. Obviously better balanced than Run 2, but knowing that Dragoon was inevitable was a huge gut punch. Rapid Fire for Everyone.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Poque posted:

I got so many drat Dragoons this year. It felt like I was being randomized toward it. Dragoon Dragoon Ninja Ninja wasn't hard but it was boring as all hecks.

What were everybody's most-fun and least-fun runs this year?
Most Fun
Run 6: White Mage, Blue Mage, Black Mage, Time mage. The ultimate mage team and exactly what I wanted when I picked random750 after a couple of really samey and sloggy runs. A pure mage team with a huge spread of magic. The game was my oyster with this team and god was it joyful after getting some really dire team picks.

Honorable mentions:
Run 8: Mystic knight, beastmaster, bard, ninja. This was the run where I job faired in the 4 jobs I hadn't used this year, apart from bard which I got naturally. I used a lot of beastmaster and bard tricks to wreck the game and it would honestly be my most fun run, if it'd happened earlier in the fiesta. This was my last run that I completed last week and I'd gotten real burned out on FF5 by this point.

Run 7: Samurai, thief, white, monk. This gets an honorable mention not because it was a particularly great team but because I was determined to beat Omega, I ventured into the GBA bonus dungeon for the first time ever. I needed the levels but it was a fun romp and it was intensely satisfying to take down Omega legit without cheesing it for the first time ever.

Least fun:
Run 1: Monk, berserker, geomancer, chemist. The chemist was the only thing that made this run bearable. I don't know why people think monk is great in world 1, double attacks made boss counters just awful, even with !focus. It was a slog through the whole game (the pyramid was AWFUL) and I almost gave upon the fiesta before I drew the chemist for my earth job.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
most fun
I'd say my last run, Time/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dancer that explored the ancient library glitch in the SNES version. A unique little experience in a sea of run. Also, I love Lenna getting in on the Melusine fight.

honorable mention
My Time/Ranger/Black/Freelancer run. Rapid shotting the Blood Sword with a Black Mages magic score is pretty drat spicy. Generally draining for 4K HP. Just overall a very powerful team.

least fun
Gotta be my Red/Dancer/Dragoon/Dancer. World 1 and 3 were just fine, but world 2 was the most motherfucking slog ever. Worst part of this years even bar none. Thats probably why in a later run, Black/Dancer/Geo/Thief, after I beat the earth crystal boss and saw I got thief, I reloaded my save and stole some lamia's tiaras. You give me a thief, Im gonna cheat to win. I mean, borrowing the job from the future isnt ~really~ cheating, ya know.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Serene Dragon posted:

I don't know why people think monk is great in world 1, double attacks made boss counters just awful, even with !focus.

Monks utterly devour randoms. Unfortunately, Byblos, Liquid Flame, and Archaeoavis poo poo all over the concept of physical attackers of any sort.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Monks utterly devour randoms. Unfortunately, Byblos, Liquid Flame, and Archaeoavis poo poo all over the concept of physical attackers of any sort.

Liquid Flame can actually be chumped by Monk counters if you just don't attack his hand form and can heal through the damage he deals; it's a slow but sure way to kill him. And Archeoaevis is only lousy for physical attackers at first; once you get him to the 3rd form, Monks will start to poo poo all over him instead.

Sadly there's nothing to be done for Byblos on a physical team. He really is meant to be just roasted to death, the fucker.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Donations were gathered, The Children were saved.

This Saturday, I will uphold the blood pact and enact the QuickFest.

Time will halt, stars will fall.

Oh god. You really ARE a raving loon. I gotta see this poo poo :getin:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Aw, dammit, I'm working at that time. Curse my odd hours!

I'd just run it on my personal computer while working on my work computer and watch any time I wasn't busy, but streaming would put a strain on my (abysmal) internet service, which is integral to my job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bufuman posted:

Aw, dammit, I'm working at that time. Curse my odd hours!

I'd just run it on my personal computer while working on my work computer and watch any time I wasn't busy, but streaming would put a strain on my (abysmal) internet service, which is integral to my job.

Load it up and then pause for an hour. Then unpause to see if anything changed.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Favorite run and least favorite run: my first, Chaos-750-Risk, Red-Berserker-Red-Dancer! It took a long time and I had to grind a bunch, both in the middle and at the end. But honestly, because it was hard, it ended up having some of the best fights of the summer. W2 Exdeath with this party was one of the best fights I've had in the game ever, pulling back from the brink with lucky blocks and dualcasted raises a bunch of times. It's rare for a party to have the Berserker be absolutely, hands-down, the best member, but when you only have one of them, they're actually much more flexible than you'd think. In the Rift, the Berserker was even the one who did all the running away! Just give her the CK and a pair of Hermes Sandals and you can get away from anything. Red is by any measure a terrible class but when you're forced to find their silver linings, you can squint hard enough and see them:

1) The common stumbling blocks in W1 are nothing to the Red Mage: they've got rods, they've got the Healing Staff, they've got Protect, and they can whack things with swords.

2) They're actually the fourth fastest class (I think, tied with Dancer and Dragoon, behind Thief and Ninja and Mystic Knight and Ranger) and they're way, way faster than the other Mage classes. I really don't know how running works, but I never had a problem with running from everything (at least until the Rift, where I gave the Berserker the CK to get out of tight spots). And being faster than everything helps when...

3) They have access to Sleep and Frog and Mini and Old (Ancient Sword) eventually Berserk, all of which really help and at least one of those works on just about everything. In particular, this was the run when I realized that just about any monster that looks vaguely human (and is thus Human) is susceptible to almost every status effect, and especially Frog. Don't underestimate the power of Frog.

This run also highlighted one thing that I think is a major advantage of the MS versions. I'm only saying this because I heard it somewhere else, but I'm under the impression that weapon procs (like Death from the Death Sickle) don't trigger on misses in any other version. But they trigger on misses in the MS versions. This alone makes the Berserker 10x more valuable, especially coupled with the fact that you always know who they're going to hit in the MS versions (the first enemy in order).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So, I did six runs, barely got the seventh off the ground. I wanted to do more, but at least I finished some stuff. I think I hit the pedal a little too fast at first and burned myself out, and it didn't help that my work schedule has changed 3 times since June.

Most fun:
Well, I'll be honest and say that nothing quite lived up to last year's White/Zerk/Ninja/Chemist run, which may end up being my favorite ever. That said, I did a "let's spend money on charity because gently caress it" run that was MK/Ninja/Ranger/Freelancer with Upgrade, and shredding the game like that was pretty drat hilarious. I even OHKO'd Omega. I had to do it, for Kyro :patriot:

Least fun:
Team No loving Damage, Time/White/Dancer/Time. Once rod breaking started to get obsolete, these guys just couldn't manage poo poo for damage until I could start getting good Sword Dances, and that was still a pain in the rear end. It was a free triple crown, but I've never quickleaked so much poo poo in my life. It was basically the "go find other poo poo to do while this thing takes forever to die" run. This is why Loon's upcoming project gets a slight cringe out of me (and I'm still totally watching that poo poo)

It was a good fiesta, even though in my case it really only lasted until mid-July. Still didn't get a Knight, so that's 4 consecutive fiestas without one. I wonder if next year will break the streak.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Most Fun: Ninja/Thief/Time/Samurai. Once people started mastering Throw, scrolls were a very effective and integral part of my offense, and it made up for Time's relative lack of damage spells. Also having Hastega and a free Triple Crown. I didn't even care that my Thief and Samurai didn't really do anything noteworthy other than having a Twin Lance/Chicken Knife combo.

Least Fun: Bard/Berserker/Berserker/Monk. The beginning of the game is about as much fun as you expect from 4 Berserkers. Once I had party members who could actually do something, it was more manageable, and Bard basically carried the rest into a Triple Crown. My only regret is that having only 2 units in control meant I couldn't reliably buff the Monk to insane power.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

This year, I would say the most fun thing was I got to start the fiesta a few hours after it went live and played till I was done. I haven't marathoned anything like that since I was a kid and that was a blast.

The least fun thing was the exact marathon mentioned. It took me from 7 pm till about 6 am. The wee hours of the morning was definitely the worst part.

I only got another run in before I was completely burned out on fiesta.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best part of the fiesta was Dragondarch doing a route run for 20 hours and finishing four or five hours before the fiesta actually started. He then wipes to a Moldwynd while soloing Faris to manipulate levels and ends up restarting because he forgot to save.

Wonder how he'll top that next year.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I don't know if its possible to top that. The only thing I can think of is if there's some sort of RNG fuckery that is akin to "echo screen in FFVI = Instant win" in FFV, and he proceeds to over-elaborate it into "antidote, attack with dagger, specific enemy attack animation, white wind, death sickle w/ random death proc, tempting tango" or some other madness.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't know if its possible to top that. The only thing I can think of is if there's some sort of RNG fuckery that is akin to "echo screen in FFVI = Instant win" in FFV, and he proceeds to over-elaborate it into "antidote, attack with dagger, specific enemy attack animation, white wind, death sickle w/ random death proc, tempting tango" or some other madness.

There is approximately no way FF5's programming is nearly as ramshackle as FF6's is.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FF6's code is delightfully borked. I almost wish they hadn't taken out the Sketch glitch. Sure, it literally ruined cartridges, but think of the possibilities.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

FF6's code is delightfully borked. I almost wish they hadn't taken out the Sketch glitch. Sure, it literally ruined cartridges, but think of the possibilities.

We need more games like Hack & Slash where the point is to break the game. Too bad Hack & Slash was so limited in scope.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mega64 posted:

Hopefully by being dropped from next year's The Run due to running two goddamned hours behind the competent players and nearly killing himself from sleep deprivation

If you want to re experience the threads reaction to .dd routing and then The Run, head to page 33 and start reading

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Upon rereading that shitshow from a few months back...

KataraniSword posted:

"Where's my dragon fang? I had a dragon fang and now it's gone!" - The sound of DD's brain breaking.

I vote next year's fiesta megathread is titled in honor of Dragondarch's lost sanity. And his lost dragon fang.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Upon rereading that shitshow from a few months back...

I vote next year's fiesta megathread is titled in honor of Dragondarch's lost sanity. And his lost dragon fang.

FFV Four Job Fiesta 2017: There was a Dragon Fang here. It's gone now.

So out of curiosity, what DID happen to this fang (I went to sleep for the later parts of The Run because I had to sometime)? Did he actually not ever get one, or did he use it and forget about it?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 4, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

He wound up loading a save after getting it and not getting it the second time round, IIRC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Hopefully by being dropped from next year's The Run

DD is necessary, without him, newbies and veterans alike wouldn't know what a bad fiesta looks like. The world needs the Four Job Fiesta Heel.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I thought heels weren't supposed to be jobbers though

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I think a good way to mix up The Run for next year would be to hold a draft. The runners would take turns picking jobs and because everyone would end up with different parties we'll see more variety in strategies (and DD can find new and innovative ways to gently caress up.)
Because only 16 out of the 20 possible job would be used there could be a vote on four jobs to ban instead of what four jobs to use (This is mostly to make sure somebody gets stuck with the berzerker. )

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
This is an idea with potential. Give DD the best classes and watch as he STILL gets last place. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

This is an idea with potential. Give DD the best classes and watch as he STILL gets last place. :v:

I mean, it's happened before. :v:

Also holy poo poo we would have to ensure Mystic Knight was a ban target just to avoid any Mystic Shell idiocy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Banning the jobs from this year's run could make it a little bit interesting.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Hmmm, on one hand interesting runs.

On the other hand, longer to wait for festivities to begin for everyone.

No matter who wins, Dragondarch loses, which means everyone wins (especially Dragondarch).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ultrafilter posted:

They're not exactly banned, but the jobs used in the previous year's run are given large negative vote penalties (I think they start out at -500 votes) to reduce the odds of them being assigned to the current year's run.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

They're not exactly banned, but the jobs used in the previous year's run are given large negative vote penalties (I think they start out at -500 votes) to reduce the odds of them being assigned to the current year's run.

Which means that obviously next year's massive payload of Berserker Tree fertilizer should vote for those four classes to make the voting fair. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Which means that obviously next year's massive payload of Berserker Tree fertilizer should vote for those four classes to make the voting fair. :v:

Well, he basically paid for those exact classes this year, hopefully he won't mind paying for them again next year. :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the draft idea a ton.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Spikey posted:

I think a good way to mix up The Run for next year would be to hold a draft. The runners would take turns picking jobs and because everyone would end up with different parties we'll see more variety in strategies (and DD can find new and innovative ways to gently caress up.)
Because only 16 out of the 20 possible job would be used there could be a vote on four jobs to ban instead of what four jobs to use (This is mostly to make sure somebody gets stuck with the berzerker. )

You can hold a draft, everyone can pick their own parties, and DD would still be grinding MiniDragons on World 1 :negative:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
A draft? What is this, Final Fantasy Football? :v:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
FOOTBALL!?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Butt Ox posted:

A draft? What is this, Final Fantasy Football? :v:

I feel like this was set up.

(Also, people keep making Thurman Thomas jokes, but Bo Jackson is the real hidden superboss of Tecmo Bowl.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

I feel like this was set up.

(Also, people keep making Thurman Thomas jokes, but Bo Jackson is the real hidden superboss of Tecmo Bowl.)

Wasn't Bo Jackson so overpowered in that game that any player going for a perfect season just resets if they end up having a game against Oakland at any point? Sounds like "fun".

• Locked thread