Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grumio posted:

Malagor also has a giant as one of his starting units

Lol jesus christ :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't know, I kind of like the idea of starting with Minotaurs better. Of all the new units on the Beastmen roster they're the ones I most want to try. I've already used Giants in the Chaos and Greenskin campaigns.

Starting with a Cygor would have been a lot cooler.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That's the best time to have a giant. You'll be fighting all the battles manually anyway so the giant won't be brutally slain by three rounds of autoresolve against garrison trash.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I get the feeling Beastmen leadership will be iffy, so starting with the + vs humans sounds like it'll help.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

I get the feeling Beastmen leadership will be iffy, so starting with the + vs humans sounds like it'll help.

Gods I think that beastmen vs Dwarves is just going to be a loving massacre.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
In games past you've been able to do multi-player on these mini campaigns right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And killing the Dwarfs is one of the campaign goals!

I'd probably start with Malagor to try to kill the Dwarf main faction as soon as possible, also he looks way cooler.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Minotaurs do a diving roll as part of their charge animation :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm going to start with the mini-campaign, which probably means I'm going with Malagor on the grand campaign later.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder how the Beastmen will spawn in as an AI faction. Will it just be One Eye in Toboro?

I'm 100% down with an additional threat for the human lands. Kind of enjoy the Dwarf/Greenskin campaigns being so out of the way though, not sure I want a random Malagor existing down there with me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Deified Data posted:

If I start with Malagor I'm definitely booking it out of the Badlands ASAP. The Greenskins will be useful to keep around to pressure the Dwarfs and the Orcs have no civilization to defile anyway. I'll probably cross the sea and harass the Border Princes first.

Also note that the first step of Malagor's first piece of quest gear is to raid one of the empire's lands. I think it's worded such that you can fight your way out of the badlands, burn the border princes to the ground, and just raid Averland since it's historically an empire territory even if Karl Franz isn't in direct dominion over it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rookersh posted:

I wonder how the Beastmen will spawn in as an AI faction. Will it just be One Eye in Toboro?

I'm 100% down with an additional threat for the human lands. Kind of enjoy the Dwarf/Greenskin campaigns being so out of the way though, not sure I want a random Malagor existing down there with me.

Anything that shakes up the inevitable dwarf or orc uncontested domination of the southeast of the map is fine with me. I was hoping the savage orc hordes would be a bit more threatening than they are.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZearothK posted:

And killing the Dwarfs is one of the campaign goals!

I'd probably start with Malagor to try to kill the Dwarf main faction as soon as possible, also he looks way cooler.

You can always try diplomacy to power up greenskins to fight the dwarves for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anything that shakes up the inevitable dwarf or orc uncontested domination of the southeast of the map is fine with me. I was hoping the savage orc hordes would be a bit more threatening than they are.

You've never seen the top knotz on the warpath

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beastmen and Greenskins seem like natural allies.

I wonder what their diplomatic situation with the Warriors of Chaos will be...

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Having not played a horde faction before, I'm looking forward to producing units at my armies with me instead of making long treks for reinforcements. Not worrying about holding indefensible locations will be nice too.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
As Chaos I've actually managed to make an alliance with the Savage Orc respawning hordes a few times, which was interesting. I'd sack a settlement, and they'd follow behind and raze it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Orcs are the useful idiots of the Old World.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fangz posted:

As Chaos I've actually managed to make an alliance with the Savage Orc respawning hordes a few times, which was interesting. I'd sack a settlement, and they'd follow behind and raze it.

Word. In my Chaos game I allied the Orcs that respawn in the Empire and they were my best allies by far.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is there any consensus on how to fix a broken grudge? I currently have a grudge to assassinate a member of teef snatchaz who were just confederated.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The characters and armies are absorbed by the new faction, is it possible they're still there?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

In my current VC campaign, both Greenskins and the big Savage Orc faction thats always a pain in the rear end had 'Vampiric Persuasion' or whatever the trait was. I have them both as Vassals and the Dwarfs are actually holding them both off. It's an interesting campaign.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

In my current VC campaign, both Greenskins and the big Savage Orc faction thats always a pain in the rear end had 'Vampiric Persuasion' or whatever the trait was. I have them both as Vassals and the Dwarfs are actually holding them both off. It's an interesting campaign.

Does the relations bonus tech have anything to do with that or is it just random?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Guys I know this game is awesome. It is obviously deep and amazing and great. But I don't know what in the gently caress I am doing. Is there a consensus beginner manual or tutorial or something (even if it is for a prior TW game) that can get me started? I'm coming around on the battling part, I think, but the campaign stuff is like bizarro Civilization without any guidance whatsoever. I would very much appreciate it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

beergod posted:

Guys I know this game is awesome. It is obviously deep and amazing and great. But I don't know what in the gently caress I am doing. Is there a consensus beginner manual or tutorial or something (even if it is for a prior TW game) that can get me started? I'm coming around on the battling part, I think, but the campaign stuff is like bizarro Civilization without any guidance whatsoever. I would very much appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0Xc3ZNzBU

Its not a very entertaining channel but this guy has loads of videos that show and explain all sorts of weird total war mechanics that a player new to the franchise would have no way of knowing and this video talks a lot about how combat actually works which is maybe the most important and one of the most underexplained parts of the game

Also if you're interested in multiplayer forums poster Yukitsu has put up guides for all the races that gives really elaborate rundowns of all their units and abilities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmd8cx6nWQ

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 28, 2016

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fwiw I played Medieval 2 then nothing until Rome 2, and I barely played that because so much had changed and I didn't get it at all. In contrast TWW seems a lot more intuitive so hopefully it'll come to you soon enough.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 28, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The DLC releases today at 2pm BST according to the official twitter. That's 4 and a half hours from now.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

John Charity Spring posted:

The DLC releases today at 2pm BST according to the official twitter. That's 4 and a half hours from now.

That sucks, I was hoping to get some time in before work. Oh well.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0Xc3ZNzBU

Its not a very entertaining channel but this guy has loads of videos that show and explain all sorts of weird total war mechanics that a player new to the franchise would have no way of knowing and this video talks a lot about how combat actually works which is maybe the most important and one of the most underexplained parts of the game

Seconding Party Elite's channel. TW:W was my very first Total War and his channel was instrumental in understanding just what the gently caress I was doing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
DLC now unlocked and downloaded, around 3,2 GBs.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Fuuuck and of course i have the evening shift this week! Gonna start with grand campaign and kazrakh first.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

DeathSandwich posted:

You can always try diplomacy to power up greenskins to fight the dwarves for you.

I think they said somewhere in one of the preview videos that they start neutral with Chas

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I think they said somewhere in one of the preview videos that they start neutral with Chas

Yeah, they can choose if they want to ally with chaos or tell them to blow.

I'm personally leaning toward the latter. Archaeon can can get trampled under my horned goat hoof like all the others.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Interestingly you take a hit to bestial rage when you perform positive diplomatic options. They need to make this a thing for Greenskins, too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ok, so it seems that the condition you needed to unlock Sarthorael was completing a grand campaign, it just unlocked for me when I entered the game.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Angry Lobster posted:

Ok, so it seems that the condition you needed to unlock Sarthorael was completing a grand campaign, it just unlocked for me when I entered the game.

Same. Just did a quick match before bedtime. Seems like the beastman units are all about the charge. I want to have a try with it tomorrow to see if I can get a proper massive wave going for a single mega charge.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Centigors are immune to vigor when their leadership is high, letting you gallop all over the map as long as you want. Any other units have the Rowdy ability?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Initial review of the expansion (Because from looking at it that's what it is.):

loving awesome. Minotaurs are hilarious. Get them as soon as possible. They're like cavalry that can actually stand in a fight and have the insane offensive power of VC's monsters. Watching them just go horns down and plow through a unit of spearmen is great.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Any Nvidia users care to report on the performance in DX12 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Lord unlocks for those that are curious:

For Malagor, you have to build the T3 magic building.

For Khazrac, you gotta sacrifice captives 10 times.

CA has been hinting that something happens if you complete Eye for an Eye but uh, get back to you on that much later.

According to the dude that's been sperging about spell mechanics, spells are major buffed in general. Example Black Sun has +50% AP Damage and +30% AOE over the old version.

Also as previously noted spell cooldowns are mostly way higher but the second level spell points reduce cooldowns by 50% now instead of 15%.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 28, 2016

• Locked thread