Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

"Stalin? How many tank divisions does he have?"
- the Pope, ca. 1943

If only Cesare Borgia hadn't gotten the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ensign Expendable posted:

3.7 cm Pak

Queue: Renault R35, R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C

Vickers Mk.E, please!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is not a plane on fire.

quote:

As early as the end of 1939, Leutnant Stahl, Technical Officer at the KG 51, proposed to attack intercepting fighters by means of flames mounted in the rear of the bombers and reconnaissance aircraft. The intercepting fighters would have to push into the ejected pitch black oil cloud, so that its cabin windows were suddenly blinded. In February 1940, corresponding experiments with He 111 and Ju 88 took place at the test site in Tarnewitz. The unit was then also tried at the beginning of the Russian campaign in the KG 51, but does not appear to have been employed by the troops. As an offensive weapon the flamethrower »Gero were 11" A, B and C used in the Fw 190 for low-level attacks.
Lieutenant Steel had the right idea.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 16, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
any insane idea i can think of has already been thought of, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

any insane idea i can think of has already been thought of, right?

Have you even fought as a pikeman... on weed? :350:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there nothing on Italian tanks on that site? I <3 those :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Please post lyrics to good historical cadence songs from different countries and eras. Hey Gal I'm looking at you.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Animal posted:

Please post lyrics to good historical cadence songs from different countries and eras. Hey Gal I'm looking at you.

I have led cadence to California Dreamin'.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Animal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIX0eIF23cU
I don't have the text as I do not speak russian. Maybe EE can translate?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What text?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Qhbdijv5Y

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If only Cesare Borgia hadn't gotten the flu executed by the greatest Pope in history until Frank II.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Animal posted:

i don't know if people marched in step in the early 17th century and earlier, but this is a song that's sung to a drumbeat, it's from Francis 1's war against the Emperor in Italy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Dj_BUUhAU
Listen to the drum--pace was much slower then, and despite what the video says I have no idea why.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

I'm not sure how this was supposed to have worked:

quote:

The tradition of assigning names to anti-tank guns in Germany is interesting in and of itself. Initially, they were called Tankabwehrkanone (Tak or T. for short), which made it obvious what they were used for. In order to conceal the re-armament program, the Supreme Command of the Ground Forces changed the name to Panzerabwehrkanone (Pak), overriding all previous names.

Will anyone seriously fail to see that a Panzerabwehrkanone is in fact a weapon as much as a Tankabwehrkanone ? There are some military designations that obviously meant to thwart legal or bureaucratic rules like the not-a-carrier-really-allowed-to-cross-the-Bosporus Large Aircraft Carrying Cruiser or the not-a-cruiser-just-really-really-big US Destroyers. But this seems wishful thinking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CeeJee posted:

Will anyone seriously fail to see that a Panzerabwehrkanone is in fact a weapon as much as a Tankabwehrkanone ? There are some military designations that obviously meant to thwart legal or bureaucratic rules like the not-a-carrier-really-allowed-to-cross-the-Bosporus Large Aircraft Carrying Cruiser or the not-a-cruiser-just-really-really-big US Destroyers. But this seems wishful thinking.

I think the point was so that other nations didn't know you were building tanks (with cannons).

"We're not building TANK guns, we're building ANTI-TANK guns. See? We're being passive and defensive!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think the point was so that other nations didn't know you were building tanks (with cannons).

"We're not building TANK guns, we're building ANTI-TANK guns. See? We're being passive and defensive!"

Wouldn't work. The -abwehr part means anti- just like with Flugabwehrkanone (FlaK) etc. Tank guns otoh were called Kampfwagenkanone (KwK), or Sturmkanone (StuK) for assault gun versions. I thought it just meant that they changed the naming to temporarily obfuscate the meanings for those uninitiated, but let's wait for EE to clarify.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CeeJee posted:

I thought that "Tank" in German specifically referred to WWI style landships while "Panzer" referred to the modern tanks and armoured vehicles? Hence why you would replace "tank" with "panzer" over time as nomenclature changed.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If you say "Tank" in german you mean gasoline tank, but you can use it to denote any other large vessel that's used to store liquids and the likes. Wassertank, Gastank e.g.

Panzer is not synonymous with Tank in german.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
'Panzer' literally means armor, doesn't it? Going by Swedish which is pretty close. In Swedish a tank is stridsvagn (battle wagon), I assume the full name for a tank in German is panzerkampfwagen or something (armored battle wagon?).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Italy's projectiles are done! But we've still got cartridge cases and mines/grenades later.

For this upgrade, we've got another series of guns to talk about. The 210/8mm projectiles appear to belong to the Mortaio da 210/8 D.S. which was a heavy howitzer that entered service at the turn of the century, while the 210/22mm rounds refer to the Obice da 210/22, in service beginning in 1938. The 260/9mm rounds are from the Mortaio da 260/9 Mod. 16 which was actually a French heavy howitzer built by Schneider in 1916.

The 360/8mm is from the Skoda 305 mm Model 1911, acquired either by capture or reparations. The 350/17mm rounds were used with the Obice da 305/17 coastal artillery. The 380/15mm refers to the 38 cm Belagerungshaubitze M 16 siege howitzer made by Austria-Hungary during WW1. The 420/12mm is another coastal artillery / siege howitzer - Škoda 42 cm Vz. 1914.

For the mortar rounds, I believe the 240mm projectiles are for the 240 mm Trench Mortar, or at least modified ones, built by the French during WW1. At the moment, I can't seem to find anything on a 400mm Mortar :shrug:

As for the projectiles, which round has a peculiar base? Which projectiles are similar to aircraft bombs? Check out the blog to find out!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

'Panzer' literally means armor, doesn't it? Going by Swedish which is pretty close. In Swedish a tank is stridsvagn (battle wagon), I assume the full name for a tank in German is panzerkampfwagen or something (armored battle wagon?).

Yes, that's why you have the German designations such as PzKpfw IV.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh by the way, this is a pretty cool use for tanks in urban combat

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Speaking of cadence marching tunes there are quite a few ones in Finnish, for example Eikä Me Olla Veljeksiä (We ain't brothers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxmerimdOJM
Vanha Kaarti Laulaa (The Old Guard sings) is the name of a record made in the 70's with old Finnish military marching tunes. The lyrics beneath are my translation, I'll do several others when I have the time.

1. We ain't brothers
though' there's two of us,
jalajallai jalajala vei vei vei,
though' there's two of us.

2. Fair and ordinary mamas boys,
from the other side of the bay,
from the other side of the bay.

3. When the swallows fled to the south
then we came here.
then we came here.

4. We promised out brides to others,
and our lives to Finland,
and our lives to Finland.

5. If you, girls, miss us,
it can't be helped,
it can't be helped.

6. Crown's jewels (medals) on our breast
now the best like us boys,
the best like us boys.

7. The conscrip time ends soon,
and it doesn't last long,
and it doesn't last long.

8. Then well go to be civilians,
and thank you for these times,
and thank you for these times.

Translating all kinds of proverbs (kruunun rossia rinnan päällä etc) is kinda hard, but I think you get the gist of it. This tune is from the 19th century, possibly from late 18th, but supposedly from the end of the Swedish rule of Finland.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

CeeJee posted:

No idea, maybe it was like the Tank vs. Combat Car situation in the US.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

"Panzer" means "armor" in German. If the story has any truth it might be something along the lines of "anti tank" weapons being banned so they started fielding "armor piercing" guns.

That's a wild assed lunchtime guess based on nothing but language and coffee.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Animal posted:

quote:

I've come shust now to tells you how,
I goes mit regimentals,
To schlauch dem voes of Liberty,
Like dem old Continentals,
Vot fights mit England long ago,
To save der Yankee Eagle;
Und now I gets my sojer clothes;
And I goes to fight mit Seigel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSJA-vtg_s

Isn't that actually kind of dumb thing to do? You're deliberately exposing some of the most vulnerable portions of your very expensive vehicle to a bomb of unknown strength?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's only one thing that I fear when fighting for the Eagle
I won't get me no lager beer when I go to fight mit Siegel!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
J'aime l'oignon frit à l'huile,
J'aime l'oignon quand il est bon.
J'aime l'oignon frit à l'huile,
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon.

Au pas camarades, au pas camarades,
Au pas , au pas , au pas,
Au pas camarades, au pas camarades,
Au pas , au pas , au pas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

Translating all kinds of proverbs (kruunun rossia rinnan päällä etc) is kinda hard, but I think you get the gist of it. This tune is from the 19th century, possibly from late 18th, but supposedly from the end of the Swedish rule of Finland.

I believe it dates back to one of the wars with Ottomans - hence the borrowed expression jalla jalla! (hurry up) in every verse. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

A 17th century army is constantly losing strength no matter what you do, and its authorities are constantly recruiting in an attempt to make up for this.
so, about that:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Hey guys? you know whats neat! the army!"

Thirty minutes later.

"gently caress this, I'm bored and out!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Isn't that actually kind of dumb thing to do? You're deliberately exposing some of the most vulnerable portions of your very expensive vehicle to a bomb of unknown strength?

The tracks aren't all that vulnerable when it comes to an ordinary explosive charge that is not buried underground. An anti-tank mine is far more potent because it's in a hole in the ground - most of its energy is aimed directly up and hence will break a track and damage suspension and even more. But when the explosives are in a car between ground and a tank then the blast will seek the path of least resistance, and that is to all the other directions, even if the car bomb contains many times the explosive filler of an AT mine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Hey guys? you know whats neat! the army!"

Thirty minutes later.

"gently caress this, I'm bored and out!"
one of my favorite things is to find a guy in a muster roll who's listed as having walked off and then see him a year or so later in the same company again

what was he doing? how did his friends take his return? :iiam:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

The tracks aren't all that vulnerable when it comes to an ordinary explosive charge that is not buried underground. An anti-tank mine is far more potent because it's in a hole in the ground - most of its energy is aimed directly up and hence will break a track and damage suspension and even more. But when the explosives are in a car between ground and a tank then the blast will seek the path of least resistance, and that is to all the other directions, even if the car bomb contains many times the explosive filler of an AT mine.

Lots of antitank mines don't rely at all on being in a hole in the ground; artillery-deployed mines sure don't and neither would anything based on a shaped-charge or EFP, both of which regularly feature in IEDs. It's a really dangerous assumption that since it's not a buried mine it's safe to run over; even if the hull isn't penetrated breaking a track and getting stuck until a recovery vehicle can get to you is a big deal.

That was probably a field-expedient refusal by people who had more important things to be doing with their day, not a doctrinally-approved way to clear mines.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

one of my favorite things is to find a guy in a muster roll who's listed as having walked off and then see him a year or so later in the same company again

what was he doing? how did his friends take his return? :iiam:

How do you analyze and record these? This seems like a really cool data visualization project if you're familiar w/ some programming or stats language/software. Also, do you have to look through muster rolls manually? I wonder if there is any way to make it a little bit faster w. OCR or not.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fusion Restaurant posted:

How do you analyze and record these? This seems like a really cool data visualization project if you're familiar w/ some programming or stats language/software. Also, do you have to look through muster rolls manually? I wonder if there is any way to make it a little bit faster w. OCR or not.
I read them with my physical eyes because I don't know if OCR can read the weird loving alphabet Germans wrote in before the 1950s. Then i put the data in spreadsheets and when I'm done I'll put all of that into a database. This needs to be done by March. I am not familiar with programming or stats software, but after I've finished Pellisworth has said he can help me out if I want.

edit: if you can help me make a bubble map and you'll be free before March 2017, please contact me

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

FAUXTON posted:

The Forever War
I was very confused before I remembered that the Milhist thread probably meant the memoirs about the GWoT and not Space Vietnam. Multiple books having the same title is not fun.

Anyways, main point:
I'm a sucker for anything to do with the train wreck of a life that was Christie so combat car/T3 please!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

HEY GAL posted:

edit: if you can help me make a bubble map and you'll be free before March 2017, please contact me

HEY GAL, I think I sent you a PM w/r/t bubble map. (I have not sent a PM before). Let me know if you got it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Animal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRuXA9rgNWU&t=26s

quote:

Undan, ur vägen här kommer vi beväringsgossar
Aldrig förlägna och aldrig ur humör.

Gummorna stiga åt andra sidan vägen för oss
Flickorna niga, det är blott som sig bör.

Trumslagar'n trummar, ekot svarar flam, flam flam,
Raska soldater går vägen fram!

My (awful) translation - no attempt at getting the meter right but it should get the point across:

quote:

Aside, away, here we come, the drafted boys*
Never embarrassed and never in bad mood.

The old ladies step aside and give way for us
The girls curtsy, it is just as it should be

The drummer beats, the echo answers flam-flam-flam
Sharp soldiers advance along the road

In some versions "vi beväringsgossar" (we the drafted/conscripted boys) is instead "vi från gula gardet" (we from the yellow guard; cf. the yellow brigade, which should be in HEY GAL's comfort zone - the life guards traces its traditions to that).

The melody was the official march of the royal Swedish life guards for a while in the late 18th century, and is today recognized by many Swedes solely because of poet composer of great drinking songs Carl Michael Bellman (1740-1795), who "borrowed" it for a rather bawdy song about the funeral of a corporal Bohman. This cadence above in turn incorporates elements of that song but is considerably younger, probably late 19th/early 20th century (drafting wasn't a thing in Bellman's lifetime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Eela6 posted:

HEY GAL, I think I sent you a PM w/r/t bubble map. (I have not sent a PM before). Let me know if you got it.
i got it and responded. I hope I remember your kind offer closer to March!