Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I'm not opposed to a theoretical VAT on helicopters.

Especially if we impose an additional 20% tax on anyone identifying as one. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

People should just stop empty posting poo poo tweets. Or there should be some kind of threshold of how many retweets or likes it's had. Don't inflict lukewarm takes from anonymous no marks on us in OUR great British mega thread.

For what it's worth I do usually appreciate Jose inflicting his twitter browsing on us by proxy as it is the main source of actual news I get.

It's just specifically that one I didn't see the benefit of and it seems obvious that it'd just be unpleasant for a lot of people to read.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Wouldn't this be exactly the sort of opportunity for the opposition to start talking about a wealth tax? Say it'll land on the wankers that grifted the PPE supply last year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if labour shoot down the corp tax hike is there any reason sunak won't just go "well we could have spent money but labour voted against it lol" and be entirely correct?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I have to admit it was the curated safari of normality elementals like Glinner and Tweetman that hooked me on this thread in the first place, and directly led to me being radicalised. But I totally understand that people don't want to see that poo poo any more

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We do have a thread explicitly for that in PYF called IOSM (idiots on social media (we are the idiots but also we post other idiots on other social mediums))

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=662

There is even this actually thread relevant tweet:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The opposition to shout at the government all the time imo

x

sinky fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 25, 2021

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

We do have a thread explicitly for that in PYF called IOSM (idiots on social media (we are the idiots but also we post other idiots on other social mediums))

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=662

There is even this actually thread relevant tweet:

Subbed, thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

For what it's worth I do usually appreciate Jose inflicting his twitter browsing on us by proxy as it is the main source of actual news I get.

It's just specifically that one I didn't see the benefit of and it seems obvious that it'd just be unpleasant for a lot of people to read.

yeah that got retweeted by a transwoman i follow with a joke about how men will gently caress a traffic cone with lip gloss on which I agreed with because it was such an absurd take. wasn't really thinking about it being nasty to read so sorry a bout that

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

sinky posted:

I think the opposition to shout at the government all the time imo

x

wow, needing to call up tony, he really is in trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tony Blair: mouthpiece of public opinion.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Blair demanding to see the Headmaster: "Why are you allowing my boy Starmer to be bullied like this? He's awfully sensitive, you know!"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Contentless posts are already probatable (USPOL clamps down on this hard) so just report them. I will concede this often doesn't work though, so we might have to resort to that old classic thread staple, the dogpile

It is really weird to me that anyone finds it desirable for the D&D mods to get involved in this thread when they seem pretty awful on the whole. I dunno, I like the extremely casual nature of this thread. I like that it combines social media shitposting & news feed & impressive informed effort posts on extremely niche subjects. Like, if you asked me the single thread on this sub I want UKMT to be the least similar with it's USPOL, a humourless liberal wankrag.

Not saying you're wrong, just find it funny there's thread regulars who want something 180 from this thread to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Tony Blair: mouthpiece of public opinion.
Fun word fact: "mouthpiece of public opinion" is an anagram of "imbecilic fine thou poop upon" :eng101:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

forkboy84 posted:

It is really weird to me that anyone finds it desirable for the D&D mods to get involved in this thread when they seem pretty awful on the whole. I dunno, I like the extremely casual nature of this thread. I like that it combines social media shitposting & news feed & impressive informed effort posts on extremely niche subjects. Like, if you asked me the single thread on this sub I want UKMT to be the least similar with it's USPOL, a humourless liberal wankrag.

Not saying you're wrong, just find it funny there's thread regulars who want something 180 from this thread to me.

we can have a casual thread without people shoving loving contentless transphobic social media post in our faces

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Fun word fact: "mouthpiece of public opinion" is an anagram of "imbecilic fine thou poop upon" :eng101:

"Anthony Blair" is an anagram of "banality horn", makes you think.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rumda posted:

we can have a casual thread without people shoving loving contentless transphobic social media post in our faces

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't defending that stuff, it was specifically the getting mad about contentless social media news posts or whatever that I was surprised by. Obviously there's a difference between "social media posting" & posting stuff that only serves to hurt thread regulars.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think we're all comrades here and when someone asks us to remove something we do, and did in this instance (and apologized). i think it's reasonable to ask us all to little more careful with what we share casually without requiring an additional rule.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CoolCab posted:

i think we're all comrades here and when someone asks us to remove something we do, and did in this instance (and apologized). i think it's reasonable to ask us all to little more careful with what we share casually without requiring an additional rule.

You would think but this isn't the first time this discussion has come up, and it has happened twice in the last week

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Josef bugman posted:

Does anyone know a good place to find out more info on your local council and/or the people who run it?

peanut- posted:

I am really conflicted about the idea of loving up Labour at local elections.

Local elections really matter. Councils aren't deciding on Britain's broad economic approach or the importance of trade unions or the role Britain should play in Europe. They're deciding how your local social care budget is spent. Whether you get bike lanes and more play parks. Whether there's any affordable housing requirement in new developments, whether your library stays open, and if we close all youth clubs in exchange for a £1.50 cut in council tax. How much latitude is given to the psychotic free school that happens to be in a very Tory voting area.

It's poo poo that immediately affects your life and the lives of vulnerable people in your area. I don't want to make where I live more poo poo and cruel to make Kieth understand that I would like corporation tax to increase by 2% actually.

Maugrim posted:

Been wondering this myself - where are all you super informed people who can reliably determine which councillors are good or bad getting your info from?

namesake posted:

If they're already a councillor then local press might have some articles about what they do or say but otherwise it's a total crapshoot.

I'm only halfway through it and culturally it's US not UK but all of you should read Politics Is For Power.

Ms Adequate posted:

Bad as Labour have been for much of my life I confess I'm blindsided by them going "No, we mustn't raise corporation tax!" in response to the tories going "we might need to raise corporation tax a bit"

Yeah that took me by surprise as well, my worldview was that the Labour strategy was to be inoffensive and passively win it's insane that they've lurched to the right this hard.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

"Anthony Blair" is an anagram of "banality horn", makes you think.
Banality Horn is what Keith gets when he sees the wet egg bag.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Keir Starmer == Market Riser
:tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Normal Island continuing to focus on the important issues.
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1365027877650132998

(The incisive commentary is that by posting this I am doing the exact same. We all float in piss down here.)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You were all complaining about Starmer not opposing the government and here he does and now you're all not like that. Make your mind up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
my mr potata head didn't come with a cock and balls piece :/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hosed up that tories are now champions of socialosm, you hate to see it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I keep thinking back to this, but straight up going "scrap VAT" sounds like the sort of thing that would make popular headlines, play well with the people that understand what a regressive tax is as well as the people who see VAT as the thing the EU invented to ban big hoovers, disproportionately benefit small businesses and nations of shopkeepers, and able to be summed up in a short sentence. It'd at least move the window to make it a viable play to put pressure on the Tories to reduce VAT to 10% temporarily.

people who dont like regressive taxes are going to vote labour anyway. 'lets raise taxes to pay for covid' is just more of the same 'the nation's credit card'. and its especially silly with borrowing this cheap

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Speaking as someone who got probed by a D&D mod for white noise posting (I admit I got carried away but even my meltdown was, IMO, contentful) I definitely would prefer they stayed away from here.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

As the skies weep blood and the earth shatters, a battle-weary Piers Morgan clambers up the mound of twisted dead to reattach the toy's moustache

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Taxing businesses to pay for covid is actually cool and good, more of this please

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is mr potato head even a thing I thought they made it up for the toy story movie

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I keep thinking back to this, but straight up going "scrap VAT" sounds like the sort of thing that would make popular headlines, play well with the people that understand what a regressive tax is as well as the people who see VAT as the thing the EU invented to ban big hoovers, disproportionately benefit small businesses and nations of shopkeepers, and able to be summed up in a short sentence. It'd at least move the window to make it a viable play to put pressure on the Tories to reduce VAT to 10% temporarily.

I say return it to its roots as a luxury/sin tax. Take it off all food but leave it on restaurants, take it off all clothing costing under, I dunno, a hundred quid. You could even get really cute and leave it on all mail-order/online transactions but take it off retail if you were really keen on saving the High Street (now there's lots of arguments to be had about the environmental impact of online vs. in-person shopping, but retail undoubtedly keeps a lot more money in the local economy rather than on Bezos' dragon hoard).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I say return it to its roots as a luxury/sin tax.

Strongly against this.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Potato Head is a real toy. They're sadly not imbued with souls like in the Pixar film though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Is mr potato head even a thing I thought they made it up for the toy story movie

It was a thing long before that, but it was just the face bits that you stuck onto an actual potato. I *think* the plastic version with the slots was launched/relaunched with the Toy Story movie so the boomer/early X-er parents of the kids watching the film would go out and buy it (there's a few other 50s/60s/70s toys in the films that had relaunched coinciding with the film for the same reason).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Strongly against this.

Oh okay then, thanks for the update.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing that ever made me question that was the fact that it shows up in a pratchett book.

Also, like, this whole thing actually is annoying me. Because it's a loving potato, potatoes don't have genders, or rather they do have genders only insofar as you loving glue poo poo to them to make them loving gendered, you are literally internalizing the performance theory of gender when you glue a mustache to a loving potato, piers, the potato does not have a gender identity, you are gendering the potato, why the gently caress does it matter to you so much that people gender your loving potato correctly piers loving aaaaaarhg.

People genders: not real, made up, a joke. Potato genders: extremely real, life and death, I would die for the potato gender.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Guavanaut posted:

Normal Island continuing to focus on the important issues.
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1365027877650132998

(The incisive commentary is that by posting this I am doing the exact same. We all float in piss down here.)
The depressing thing about this is that whats actually happened is that they dropped the 'Mr' from the logo so they can use it on Mr and Mrs Potato Head toys interchangeably. The boxes are still labelled with "Mr/Mrs Potato Head" and are still the same gendered designs as before.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Honestly, it must be so galling to realise that all that lovely cis privilege can't protect you from a world full of cognitohazards, such as a potato without a moustache, that are definitely going to turn your kids into trans antifa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was a thing long before that, but it was just the face bits that you stuck onto an actual potato. I *think* the plastic version with the slots was launched/relaunched with the Toy Story movie so the boomer/early X-er parents of the kids watching the film would go out and buy it (there's a few other 50s/60s/70s toys in the films that had relaunched coinciding with the film for the same reason).
I think it became a large fake potato of some kind before the movie, but only because sticking small sharp things into vegetables became a bad idea for a children's toy many decades ago. Then again I remember potato clocks were a popular project thing in the 80s and those were entirely based around stabbing potatoes with knives of different metals in some kind of occult ritual. I guess back then you could always get away with a lot more if you called it a project instead of a toy and suggested somehow on the packaging that an adult be involved.

I'm sure something like the slinky dog existed before toy story too, that was the main one that I can remember existing other than the green army guys.

OwlFancier posted:

People genders: not real, made up, a joke. Potato genders: extremely real, life and death, I would die for the potato gender.
Judith Butler: Piers, Potatoes & Power