Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Seashell Salesman posted:

Any suggestions for a high-rise building interior (it can be in the overworld cell, just "inside"), where enemies don't spawn, that is centrally located in Boston? I want to establish a central safe house in Boston, and I really like the feel of the Ticonderoga safe house except for that it's already occupied and it's not very central. HalluciGen almost fits the bill except that the easily accessible bits are on the ground floor (no elevator).

Modded or not modded? There's the Back Bay Penthouse mod, if you want building space on top of Dartsmouth Professional Building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Speaking of lockups, I complained last week about the game hard-locking my system using VATS and some random neoGAF poster or something like that revealed the answer - limiting the number of CPU cores used under the [general] section of the .ini. Worked for FO3, apparently, and it works for this game.
Care to point the way? Because I've run into this bug on subsequent 30+ hour survival playthroughs, and it's annoying the loving poo poo out of me.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Care to point the way? Because I've run into this bug on subsequent 30+ hour survival playthroughs, and it's annoying the loving poo poo out of me.

Open your Fallout4.ini and put the following line under [General]

iNumHWThreads=4

And try ENB. The speed/stability patches it provides help a lot, especially if your system is on the weaker side of the RAM/VRAM spectrum.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Thanks, I found it and a couple of other tweaks with a bit of google fu.

Seems to have done the trick.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if his position is random or not but I ran into that guy for the first time last weekend. He was up on the second floor in that bombed out house full of radroaches just west of Corvega. I had walked past that house many many times on survival after clearing it early on in the game so he took me by surprise and killed me the first time. I was somewhere in the 40's when it happened.

I had absolutely no luck spawning Regi... I did something I am not too proud off, there is a solo BOS Paladin guarding the deck of the Prydwyn. He has a gattling laser. I dropped a grenade in his pocket... :ohdear: he might have been a dick to Nick, but he was still my ally. I consider this the low point in my playthrough

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is anyone else having an issue with the Automatron workbench randomly dropping bots from its list? Like my current guy is not upgradable anymore, and if I build a new one my current guy will suddenly have a blank name.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Thanks, I found it and a couple of other tweaks with a bit of google fu.

Seems to have done the trick.
I lied. Freezing now, in or out of VATS.

I knew I should've waited until the GOTY edition to by this piece of crap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've literally never had a problem with instability in fo4. Upgrade drivers, run a filesystem check, disable mods, or something.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with the Automatron workbench randomly dropping bots from its list? Like my current guy is not upgradable anymore, and if I build a new one my current guy will suddenly have a blank name.

It seems to have a ton of issues. My robot couldn't be renamed at all and at some point just completely disappeared from the game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

mod list, with versions?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Azhais posted:

disable mods
Don't you loving swear at me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmm, I had been under the impression that "crafting components" did not count against the limit for scavenging in your settlements -- only junk items that broke down into components. But after testing ingame, all junk appears to be treated equally. Taking everything out of my workbench other than 1100 steel, no scavenging occurred during 2 days of sleeping in game. Sad!

This means that (in a vanilla game), you need to use secondary crafted storage for junk in order to get max results from scavenging. That's annoying because you either need to do it at every settlement or continually move your junk back to a main storage site, which would be tedious in survival mode. Tempting to find a mod to raise the scavenging limit. Any have an elegant solution to getting a regular supply of free materials from scavenging?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You could probably use one of the vacuum hoppers to just suck everything out of the workshop and store it in the contraptions storage bin instead. Still have to migrate it back to a table to craft, but at least while you're home all your junk would be diverted into alternate storage entirely.

That said, I think this mod would do what you want:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12430/

I've never used it so can't give any firsthand info

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Does what it says on the tin.

Makes it almost too easy to accumulate a lot of poo poo though, especially clean water.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tooterfish posted:

Does what it says on the tin.

Makes it almost too easy to accumulate a lot of poo poo though, especially clean water.

Slap in the loot overhaul while you're at it then!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sleeping in game doesn't make more junk appear anyway. That stuff only replenishes over real time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

Sleeping in game doesn't make more junk appear anyway. That stuff only replenishes over real time.

No, I think that is incorrect. When I removed all junk from my workshop and slept for over 1d game time, I had new junk waiting for me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Azhais posted:

You could probably use one of the vacuum hoppers to just suck everything out of the workshop and store it in the contraptions storage bin instead. Still have to migrate it back to a table to craft, but at least while you're home all your junk would be diverted into alternate storage entirely.

That said, I think this mod would do what you want:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12430/

I've never used it so can't give any firsthand info

yeah, I think there are a few mods that would deal with this issue, e.g. manufacturing extended, but I like to find vanilla solutions to things first if possible. Not sure if there's a good one for the scavenging challenge I described. Thanks!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

No, I think that is incorrect. When I removed all junk from my workshop and slept for over 1d game time, I had new junk waiting for me.

Actually I just went and tested again, and in test #2 I did _not_ have new junk waiting for me after clearing workshop and sleeping 2 continuous days in-game. It's not clear exactly what triggers scavenging? Ugh, what do the CK scripts say?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pmchem posted:

yeah, I think there are a few mods that would deal with this issue, e.g. manufacturing extended, but I like to find vanilla solutions to things first if possible. Not sure if there's a good one for the scavenging challenge I described. Thanks!

Well, the vaccuum hoppers are "vanilla" (assuming you count the DLC). They'd just keep the workshop clear whenever you went back to base so everyone would keep on keeping on

pmchem posted:

Actually I just went and tested again, and in test #2 I did _not_ have new junk waiting for me after clearing workshop and sleeping 2 continuous days in-game. It's not clear exactly what triggers scavenging? Ugh, what do the CK scripts say?

Pretty sure that stuff is pure wallclock time, not in game time. Try just going afk in the settlement for a while (or coming back later)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure that stuff is pure wallclock time, not in game time. Try just going afk in the settlement for a while (or coming back later)

yeah, I just spent some time sorting through papyrus scripts to understand all this and posted some details in the FO4 modding thread. DailyUpdateSurplusResources is the function calling scavenging, and daily updates are controlled by StartTimerGameTime, which... http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=StartTimerGameTime_-_ScriptObject only counts time out of menu modes. So it's the in-game clock, but only time not in menus. Wall time would not help if you had a menu open.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

hmm, I had been under the impression that "crafting components" did not count against the limit for scavenging in your settlements -- only junk items that broke down into components. But after testing ingame, all junk appears to be treated equally. Taking everything out of my workbench other than 1100 steel, no scavenging occurred during 2 days of sleeping in game. Sad!

This means that (in a vanilla game), you need to use secondary crafted storage for junk in order to get max results from scavenging. That's annoying because you either need to do it at every settlement or continually move your junk back to a main storage site, which would be tedious in survival mode. Tempting to find a mod to raise the scavenging limit. Any have an elegant solution to getting a regular supply of free materials from scavenging?

Well, after a series of diversions, I did confirm what I said in this quoted post. I just idled AFK for 3 in-game days while watching TV tonight. Started with 1100 steel in the workshop. Came back and had the steel, some mutfruit (from farms), fertilizer (brahmin), and bottle caps (shops). No scavenge. This concurs with my being unable to spot anything in the workshop scrips that looked like it differentiated between sub-types of junk.

So if you wanna collect mass junk in vanilla, you gotta store the extra junk or components out of workshop. May be worth breaking down junk into components before transferring just so there are less items to deal with when moving components back and forth later in game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

pmchem posted:

Well, after a series of diversions, I did confirm what I said in this quoted post. I just idled AFK for 3 in-game days while watching TV tonight. Started with 1100 steel in the workshop. Came back and had the steel, some mutfruit (from farms), fertilizer (brahmin), and bottle caps (shops). No scavenge. This concurs with my being unable to spot anything in the workshop scrips that looked like it differentiated between sub-types of junk.

So if you wanna collect mass junk in vanilla, you gotta store the extra junk or components out of workshop. May be worth breaking down junk into components before transferring just so there are less items to deal with when moving components back and forth later in game.

I posted that itt weeks ago and people didn't believe me. Oh well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Entering workshop mode seems to trigger a refresh of some sort with the workshop inventory. I was able to empty it, immediately enter workshop mode, exit without doing anything, and open the workshop inventory again for more stuff. Tested it multiple times to confirm it was a repeatable effect. No idea if it's actually new stuff or if it was pulled from another settlement somehow, but there you go.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

re: Settlement attack spawnpoints, this video shows them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0fMcYBD9A

The mod that shows them is called Settlement Management Software.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I just did confidence man. And in the bar fight Travis pulled out a pipe SMG and killed both of the men (I thought they were essential?) and Vadim blamed me for killing them and called me a psychopath.

I didn't know the quest could go this way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

I just did confidence man. And in the bar fight Travis pulled out a pipe SMG and killed both of the men (I thought they were essential?) and Vadim blamed me for killing them and called me a psychopath.

I didn't know the quest could go this way.

Whaaaaat. That's not supposed to happen!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not to be that guy but… have you modded? The thugs are essential if and only if you land the "killing" blow with yr bare fists

Speaking to my last issue, the robot selection / naming bug appears to be tied to the Reunions critical quest line, something about how the game arranges your party when you head to the Memory Den. After completing the awful Kellogg dream simulator I no longer have issues with Automatron content.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
It even has the voice work!

When I return later Vadims brother says that he was kidnapped by friends of the men I killed.

I run no mods because I play survival and if this thread has taught me anything. It's that modding plus survival does not mix.

Edit: I had Curie with me and she did fire her weapon once but it struck a couch and didn't kill anyone (spray and pray shots look like tracers)

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 25, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm at work so I can't check, but according to the sites that Vault DLC was dropping tonight. Any confirmation on this, and possibly first impressions? I read somewhere it won't start until Level 20.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm at work so I can't check, but according to the sites that Vault DLC was dropping tonight. Any confirmation on this, and possibly first impressions? I read somewhere it won't start until Level 20.

They changed from staggered midnight releases to global release in fifteen minutes. I'm downloading mine now though. :v:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
It definitely available on the PS4 store, I found it by searching for "vault.". Curiously, it's listed under Borderlands 2 DLC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supposedly the function of certain things in Vault 88 change based on what types of experiments you run. Could be interesting.

There were a lot of different types of perks and/or rewards for all the stuff you could do in Far Harbor (based on who you blew up and how, of course). Surprised myself a few times with the various ways things could go down. For example: If you do absolutely every sidequest for the Children of Atom, Tektus doesn't doubt you for a moment and shows up to your private murder hole alone. If you've only done MOST quests for the Children, he's flanked by bodyguards and is much harder to persuade to leave the island. Even if you go for a Children run supporting Atom, you might get a different title based on your actions during the quests; I've seen playthroughs where you get named Crusader of Atom, another where you get named Inquisitor of Atom.

So I bet there's going to be at least a few surprises in Vault-Tec Workshop, and definitely more in Nuka-World.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I cleared out everything in Vault 88, there's two side exits, one outside Milton General Hospital and one at a new location, University Point Pharmacy.

The building area is loving huge. I haven't bothered building anything yet, just tearing everything down, and I've only got about half the max construction bar filled. That doesn't bode well for being able to maximise the, again, loving huge building area.

So far quest wise I went for extra power output on the cyclotron, it ended with an explosion and Clem being thrown across the empty main room I'd put the bike in. Now I need to go fetch some chemicals from Hallucigen for a new quest, The Watering Hole.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Anyone have any clue how to connect power from the Reactor to the hallways? They did say power would travel through the pieces, didn't they? I can't get it to go.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

You can't use the mini-Vault blastdoor outside of Vault 88. Or the defense barricade. Or the generators. :(

You can use the clean furniture though I guess.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Korgan posted:

You can't use the mini-Vault blastdoor outside of Vault 88. Or the defense barricade. Or the generators. :(

That's just dumb. :what:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can use the Vault-Tec Personnel Monitors outside Vault 88!

MVP right there. That thing comes equipped with the ability to add a marker to any companion you've lost track of, and also lets you more efficiently manage jobs in any settlement. I love this DLC for that thing alone.

Being able to make non-lovely-looking furniture is nice (actual structures are still limited to the mostly-ratty ones unless you use the cleaner Warehouse options, though...).

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Those restrictions will be modded out in less than a week, I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you need the CHA perks to experience the new DLC?

• Locked thread