Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

rodbeard posted:

The braindead morons that playtest valve's games for them have basically ruined the FPS genre.

While true, my complaint is "gee I wonder why they forgot what should be a core mechanic? Maybe because they didn't have any chance to exercise it due to heck level design"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess it's telling that I remember Portal 2 as one of my all-time faves in writing and acting, but can barely remember a thing regarding the actual gameplay.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

rodbeard posted:

The braindead morons that playtest valve's games for them have basically ruined the FPS genre.

I have played several old FPS games where I wish there were braindead testers the devs listened to, because the game was almost obfuscating things.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess it's telling that I remember Portal 2 as one of my all-time faves in writing and acting, but can barely remember a thing regarding the actual gameplay.

It's an excellent radio play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember basically none of the writing in Portal 2 because I spent basically my whole playthrough not having fun with the puzzles. It peaked at a puzzle where the way to progress was to squint across the massive cavern and shoot the one dot on the wall that was allowable to walk through and I didn't feel anything for solving it, just a begrudging sigh.

The moon thing was nicely foreshadowed, that I've gotta get it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Dragon Quest Builders I'm in the second town but can't till the soil now I've got that blueprint - does it need to be entirely within the light and that's why it's not working, or is there a step I'm missing? I may just have to clear the entire town out and rebuild it from scratch starting with the blueprints (because fitting the farm in the tiny light square is proving difficult as is), but that would be a pain.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What games have the worst damage feedback? Where you quickly drop from 100% to dead in an instant because of some poo poo that came offscreen or was telegraphed far too late?

Shadow of War see-saws between easy and hard on normal alone. It feels complete bullshit with a hundred enemies onscreen and naturally there's a handful of archers and spear-chuckers. It just never feels great to die to something too small or quick to see coming. I believe this was a similar problem in Wolfenstein II and Witcher 2.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have the worst damage feedback? Where you quickly drop from 100% to dead in an instant because of some poo poo that came offscreen or was telegraphed far too late?

Shadow of War see-saws between easy and hard on normal alone. It feels complete bullshit with a hundred enemies onscreen and naturally there's a handful of archers and spear-chuckers. It just never feels great to die to something too small or quick to see coming. I believe this was a similar problem in Wolfenstein II and Witcher 2.

More the opposite side of the spectrum, but I've definitely seen games in which any insignificant hit flashes the screen red like you're close to death, meaning that I'm never quite sure if what just happened was something I should be worrying about. Like, a single arrow will strike my character and I'll suddenly fear for my life as the 'you're close to death' overlay goes over the screen before I realize, no, that just took off like a few health points.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

I have played several old FPS games where I wish there were braindead testers the devs listened to, because the game was almost obfuscating things.

I think Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was especially bad about this. It had that classic FPS level design where there's only one way through a level, but instead of being a blocky maze like classic FPSs it has more naturalistic environments, and the path through some of them ends up being insane. Like you start outside the door to the enemy base and are trying to get in. Maybe you find a switch or key for the door, or destroy it somehow? No, you start platforming in the opposite direction until you're 5 stories up, jump on a conveyor belt into trash incinerator (which I hope you turned on half the level back), escape through a hatch in the incinerator into some sort of reactor room, overload the reactor so it blows a hole in the floor, then drop the the hole into the enemy base. I made that sequence up since its been a decade+ since I played it, but it was full of stuff like that.

Also props for finally giving you your lightsaber and then dropping you into a level where it's nearly useless. That game was really good when it was good but it was full of stuff dragging it down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The main feeling I remember from the Dark Forces games was being hopelessly lost.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

The main feeling I remember from the Dark Forces games was being hopelessly lost.

Dark Forces 2 is the first game I bought a strategy guide for. The levels were really neat but often incredibly baffling. I thought it was because I was 8, but nope, even going back now I’ll have a ton of moments where I’m in full “what the gently caress?!” mode.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lobok posted:

I felt that way about pretty much every game made in that engine. I think the first thing I did was learn a no-clip cheat for each of them just so I could skip stuff because otherwise I just wandered about hopelessly lost.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedi Knight 2 also had a terrible stealth level where if the alarm goes off you're captured by like 5 guys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was especially bad about this. It had that classic FPS level design where there's only one way through a level, but instead of being a blocky maze like classic FPSs it has more naturalistic environments, and the path through some of them ends up being insane. Like you start outside the door to the enemy base and are trying to get in. Maybe you find a switch or key for the door, or destroy it somehow? No, you start platforming in the opposite direction until you're 5 stories up, jump on a conveyor belt into trash incinerator (which I hope you turned on half the level back), escape through a hatch in the incinerator into some sort of reactor room, overload the reactor so it blows a hole in the floor, then drop the the hole into the enemy base. I made that sequence up since its been a decade+ since I played it, but it was full of stuff like that.

That sounds cool as hell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe so, but it was mostly just a pain in the rear end figuring out where the game expected you to go next. You mainly figure out what to do by eliminating all other options. Try playing the game (it's worth a playthrough if you haven't!) and get back to us.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

It would be cool if it was made now with 20+ years of seeing what does and doesn’t work in 3D levels. Back then people didn’t really have things nailed down for how to guide players to certain parts of the level, or even reliably show you what you could or couldn’t interact with.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It would be cool if it was made now with 20+ years of seeing what does and doesn’t work in 3D levels. Back then people didn’t really have things nailed down for how to guide players to certain parts of the level, or even reliably show you what you could or couldn’t interact with.

These days you'd have a voice in your ear saying "The ceiling above has a reactor you could blow to get into the base, the problem is that your only way in is through the garbage chute, which is connected to that incinerator!", or there would be a previous stage where you steal blueprints to figure out a way inside, or you find the path with detective vision, or there's just an objective marker every 50 feet. There are definitely gripes to be had with any of those methods but they're better than bumbling around for half an hour and then going to gamefaqs over your dialup.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Moon Monster posted:

Also props for finally giving you your lightsaber and then dropping you into a level where it's nearly useless.

lol oh cool a lightsaber its payback time assholes /is disintegrated by a sniper half the map away

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, for anyone who hasn't played the game what happens is that you don't start the game with powers/lightsaber and only get it after an introductory mission. Then once you get it the level is all wide open spaces full of snipers who have guns that you can't deflect. It was a really weird choice.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I guess the intention was to show that the lightsaber isn't something that will make the rest of your kit redundant and that you're still a character who's going to use a lot of guns and items rather than charging in like a Jedi but it's also one of about two levels where that isn't a perfectly valid approach lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In KotOR 2 HK says the best way to kill a Jedi is to use a sniper rifle from concealment, checks out.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oh the level design for Jedi Knight II is the worst. There was one level where the only way to get into a base was to fall onto a tiny little platform that’s over an instadeath pit so you can crawl into a vent.

The only way you’d see this is if you looked over the edge (couldn’t see it from any other angle) and didn’t just ignore it as set dressing.

I think I spent two hours in noclip during my time with that game.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
There's another bit (might be the same one even) where the only way forward is to jump from one door opening in an elevator shaft across a void to another door opening. And the space you had to stand on on both sides was about 6 inches wide. In a game that doesn't really do 'precision midair control.' At least you could save anywhere.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

These days you'd have a voice in your ear saying "The ceiling above has a reactor you could blow to get into the base, the problem is that your only way in is through the garbage chute, which is connected to that incinerator!", or there would be a previous stage where you steal blueprints to figure out a way inside, or you find the path with detective vision, or there's just an objective marker every 50 feet. There are definitely gripes to be had with any of those methods but they're better than bumbling around for half an hour and then going to gamefaqs over your dialup.

In Rise of the Tomb Raider Lara will say something like "I've got to find a way to break that ice" every single time you go into the detective mode. The game is good enough at showing you what can be done without her constantly spelling out the drat puzzle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate the crumble blocks in the third area in Dragon Quest Builders. It's annoying being in a mine trying to get copper, only to fall down a shaft and have to build yourself back out again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

In Rise of the Tomb Raider Lara will say something like "I've got to find a way to break that ice" every single time you go into the detective mode. The game is good enough at showing you what can be done without her constantly spelling out the drat puzzle.

Christ, the amount of times I heard something like this or 'I need to find a way to lower that platform' or some variant of it in a puzzle was so aggravating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's always struck me as funny that puzzle or direction 'hints' like that are usually called 'nags' internally. Even the developers know they're just there to bother you.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

path of exile has terrible damage feedback. you go from effortlessly crushing things to suddenly dead with zero feedback about what happened

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of the Tomb Raider thankfully had a separate difficulty slider for tombs that would prevent Lara from blabbing out the answer or keep objects hidden in the environment. It was pretty neat and some of the puzzles were surprisingly challenging.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love Bug Fables. It's the best Paper Mario game after Thousand Year Door, but the platforming can be a little janky.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Morpheus posted:

Christ, the amount of times I heard something like this or 'I need to find a way to lower that platform' or some variant of it in a puzzle was so aggravating.

I can't remember the specifics of any given one, but across the all the puzzles in the three games it felt like they ran the whole range. Sometimes the hints had writing and voice acting that felt natural (like a person talking out loud to themselves as they work through a problem) and the timing was good (after a few failed attempts). Other times she said the solution to the step on the puzzle before I had a chance to try anything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider thankfully had a separate difficulty slider for tombs that would prevent Lara from blabbing out the answer or keep objects hidden in the environment. It was pretty neat and some of the puzzles were surprisingly challenging.

The Tomb Raider reboot had pretty good puzzles, they were largely physics based and made sense. Unlike the Uncharted franchise which puzzle was so terrible Naughty Dog gave you the option to skip them.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I've been obsessively playing Civilization 6 on my PS4, really enjoying it but I decided to play a marathon game (slowest speed) on the biggest map and after a while it becomes nearly unplayable, I don't think the (non-Pro) PS4 can handle everything that's going on when you get to the late stages of a game on a map that big. It can't go 10 turns without crashing, usually during the time when the non-player civs are taking their turn, and the autosave kicks in at the start of my turn so if I don't want to redo what I did before it crashes I basically have to make a manual save at the end of every turn. Then it takes 3 or 4 minutes to restart the game and load the save. I've been playing it as background, just picking up the controller every so often while I do other stuff, but it's still a real bummer.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hirsute posted:

I've been obsessively playing Civilization 6 on my PS4, really enjoying it but I decided to play a marathon game (slowest speed) on the biggest map and after a while it becomes nearly unplayable, I don't think the (non-Pro) PS4 can handle everything that's going on when you get to the late stages of a game on a map that big.

I was hugely disappointed in the frame rate on an iPad Pro. Like, 10-20fps even on the menu screens. How is it possibly that unoptimized?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In metal gear solid the phantom pain do I ever get out of this lovely ugly rear end desert

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

In metal gear solid the phantom pain do I ever get out of this lovely ugly rear end desert

Not with that attitude :colbert:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shadow of War: There's a quest-line that begins with with you fighting a Balrog like a rockem-sockem robot. You beat the Balrog, and then next six tedious quests involve destroying a set of pillars. Something tells me they put the climax first then put the busy-work after.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Beat Spiritfarer last night. Great game but the ending seems a bit rushed to me. I felt like the last two characters both joined and then left the ship after being on board for like an hour, and I wasn’t exactly bee-lining their quests.

I also felt like there was nothing that could help you figure out what someone’s favorite food was other than just guessing. Preferred foods make sense ie a stuck up artist likes exotic foods or acquired tastes, while a very spartan person likes plain food but other than looking it up or trial and error I don’t see how you can do it.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Sep 29, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you do the postgame passenger? She's even more annoying as you lose hearts if you hug her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Beat Spiritfarer last night. Great game but the ending seems a bit rushed to me. I felt like the last two characters both joined and then left the ship after being on board for like an hour, and I wasn’t exactly bee-lining their quests.

I also felt like there was nothing that could help you figure out what someone’s favorite food was other than just guessing. Preferred foods make sense ie a stuck up artist likes exotic foods or acquired tastes, while a very spartan person likes plain food but other than looking it up or trial and error I don’t see how you can do it.

Things could've been made so much easier if each food, when you're feeding a passenger, had a little icon next to it that determined if you had fed it to them, if they had liked it or disliked it, etc. Just keep a running tally of the things I've tried on a particular passenger, there's no way I'm remembering the things I've given like five different passengers at once, especially if I pick up the game later.

Similarly, the fact that the only way to see if I've made a meal out of particular ingredients or not is to check the recipe list is really annoying. If I've made a recipe out of something, it should tell me this when I attempt to make it again. I don't want to have to look up the recipe sheet just to find if bouillabaisse was made with fish or clams, it should just tell me that I made it before when I throw fish and mushroom into the slots.