Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ukraine doesn't need more tanks - they have more than the Russians do. What they do need is protection from air and artillery strikes, and the drones that call them in. They need the NATO 155mm artillery, but that will take a few weeks to train up.

I doubt the Gepards will do much- by the time they are ready, and the troops trained to use them, Ukraine will have liberated back the land they lost.

err top of the page snipe! SO, when is the next ARMA game coming out for Ukraine 2022? I still have fond memories of Operation Flashpoint and it's expansions which was tailor made for this conflict. I hated ARMA III single player though sadly.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They will help bolster defences for the future tho

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

No subtitles but watch it anyway.

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1518916591299309569

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was wondering when the Russians would start “finding” Gay Propaganda when they made arrests or overran Ukrainian positions. The Satanic alter is a nice touch.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Comstar posted:

err top of the page snipe! SO, when is the next ARMA game coming out for Ukraine 2022? I still have fond memories of Operation Flashpoint and it's expansions which was tailor made for this conflict. I hated ARMA III single player though sadly.

If I had a decent topographical map of Ukraine I'd be tempted to fire up The Operational Art of War IV and try my hand at creating some scenarios. Folks are going to be wargaming this 'special operation' for years, wondering if they can find the one weird trick to achieve a Decisive Victory for the Russian side.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Comstar posted:

I doubt the Gepards will do much- by the time they are ready, and the troops trained to use them, Ukraine will have liberated back the land they lost.

I doubt that. Russian losses may render portions of their forces incapable of large offensives but that doesn't mean they'll be easy to dislodge from land already taken. I believe this will be a grind that could take some time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

raifield posted:

If I had a decent topographical map of Ukraine I'd be tempted to fire up The Operational Art of War IV and try my hand at creating some scenarios. Folks are going to be wargaming this 'special operation' for years, wondering if they can find the one weird trick to achieve a Decisive Victory for the Russian side.

Probably extremely easily, given the massive force differential at the outset. Heck, even the plan the Russians had would probably work if they were half way competent.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

That's my favorite thing about being A Gay, the congressional charter I get to put on my wall

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

raifield posted:

I'd recommend focusing on a single player scenario where you play as Ukraine. That will make the brain-dead AI opponent pretty realistic.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

raifield posted:

Gonna need a rasputitsa mod to make this work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1518661309977530368

They're the gay loving fighting force and the gays are beating the russians! The gays are beating the russians!

The actual invasion simulator is Spintires

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 26, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

First there were witches, now it's gay Satanists! Surely Putin has lost the mandate of heavens if Patriarch's shield doesn't work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

Ukraine doesn't need more tanks - they have more than the Russians do. What they do need is protection from air and artillery strikes, and the drones that call them in. They need the NATO 155mm artillery, but that will take a few weeks to train up.

Can't wait to explore Chernobyl in ARMA as my squad gets lost and killed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The US has launched a sponsorship program for Ukrainian refugees. Basically you put someone or a family up in your house/extra room, and financially support them. Unlike a lot of immigration paths, they are allowed to work immediately (and thus help support themselves).

FAQ posted:

What is the role of a financial supporter?
Ukrainians must have a financial supporter in the United States. Supporters initiate the Uniting for Ukraine process by filing the Form I-134 Declaration of Financial Support and providing information about themselves and the Ukrainian beneficiary. Supporters will be vetted by the U.S. government to ensure that they are able to support Ukrainians and to mitigate against potential exploitation.

Every Ukrainian seeking authorization to travel to the United States to seek parole must be supported by a U.S.-based individual, including representatives of non-governmental organizations. Each supporter must pass security and background vetting and demonstrate sufficient financial resources to “receive, maintain, and support” the Ukrainians they commit to support.

Notably, the program is only limited in the number of refugees accepted by the number of sponsors found.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

This have various people guessing that Russia might try a landing troops from the sea to occupy part of Odesa oblast and link up with Transnistria. On one hand that sounds insanely stupid to start a second war with troops basically cut off from the rest of the army on the other hand it's Russia.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1518915670792101888

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

somehow managed to doublepost

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Comstar posted:

Depending on what type of ammo they will be supplied with, they could be useful as a last line defense against cruise missiles. I think Gepard can use AHEAD (Advanced Hit Efficiency And Destruction ammunition), which should work at ranges up to 4 km. I think employed as AA defense of cities they might be able to help further reduce the destruction of civil and civic infrastructure and people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

For a fraction of second a thought flashes in my mind "Wait, don't the Nazis hate gay people and murdered them systemically in death camps?". As I realize what just happened I heave away the thought with all my mental strength. The feeling of cognitive dissonance begins to settle and feel calmer. Russia shall not be betrayed. Not in the field, not at home and not by my mind.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

you forget Russia isn't fighting normal nazis, these are satanic homonazis! the worst kind of nazis.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Atreiden posted:

you forget Russia isn't fighting normal nazis, these are satanic homonazis! the worst kind of nazis.

Not just Satanic homonazis: Jewish Satanic homonazis. Just the biggest, worst, nazi-est nazis around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Gay steel-mill, no longer just a Simpsons bit

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Atreiden posted:

This have various people guessing that Russia might try a landing troops from the sea to occupy part of Odesa oblast and link up with Transnistria. On one hand that sounds insanely stupid to start a second war with troops basically cut off from the rest of the army on the other hand it's Russia.

The news of random things exploding and catching on fire in Transnistria over the last day as well as a bunch of people leaving it suggest that things might be going that well there. Might not exactly be the best base to launch an invasion from.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jokes are good and that report is ridiculous but LGBT folks on occupied territories will undoubtedly face very harsh oppression and Russians gleefully wreck every support hub.

Meanwhile Kyiv Pride account showcases lesbians in Ukrainian forces

https://twitter.com/KyivPride/status/1518874975695998978?t=7snvKUHl-Pdg6WcZVZDs2A&s=19

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

quote:

The telegram channel “FighterBomber” associated with the Russian air force, posted on April 12 a comment about NATO’s weapon supplies to Ukraine: “Naturally, we’ll further increase air defense units on the border with Ukraine in order to cover our territory from ballistic missile strikes, but it is also clear that NATO countries have far more weapons than Russia.”

The author expressed optimism that the Russian air force will be able to staunch the flow of Western supplies, but warned that further Ukrainian victories “will almost certainly prompt the use of nuclear weapons” against targets in Ukraine.

Does this mean the military is actually thinking about using those kinds of weapons in Ukraine? I know the Kremlin are lying shits, but didn't they already say they weren't going to use nukes?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1517945238865727488

Y'all sleeping on the best game so far.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Owling Howl posted:

I believe this will be a grind that could take some time.

Yes, I believe you are most likely right.

But Ukraine's allies will continue dumping increasingly more effective war material into the country until eventually russia is pushed back from a lack of its own sufficiently equipped forces to resist any longer. Maybe its 10 years, maybe 20, but eventually they're all killed/pushed back out of the country.

DandyLion fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 26, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

catfry posted:

Depending on what type of ammo they will be supplied with, they could be useful as a last line defense against cruise missiles. I think Gepard can use AHEAD (Advanced Hit Efficiency And Destruction ammunition), which should work at ranges up to 4 km. I think employed as AA defense of cities they might be able to help further reduce the destruction of civil and civic infrastructure and people.

I wonder if they wouldn't use them to stop Russian drones near the front. Right now they need to expend manpads to shoot down Orlan-10s. Gepards are probably more cost-effective and of course have radars although they may not be designed for targets that small.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Willo567 posted:

...but didn't they already say they weren't going to use nukes?

With Russia a denial of that nature is literally tacit admission of their intentions.

I'd wager tactical low yield variety will be used up once they start getting pushed out of Donbas.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Does this mean the military is actually thinking about using those kinds of weapons in Ukraine? I know the Kremlin are lying shits, but didn't they already say they weren't going to use nukes?

it's a quote of some guy shitposting on telegram who also thinks the Russian air force will be able to bomb NATO weapon supplies, something they haven't been able to do so far. So no this is not an indication that Russia has changed their mind about using nukes, it's there to show how out of touch with reality some of the Russian commentators are. It's tied together with the general that thinks Russia can conquer all of southern Ukraine, something that at the moment also seems highly unlikely since they are stuck in Kherson and have been for a month now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Willo567 posted:

Highly dubious. One of the things that the Russians think they have figured out is that the Western Public is hysterically afraid of Russia using nuclear weapons—despite the fact that doing so would put the very existence of the Russian state at risk.

This means it has been a great “go to” threat to try and bully the Western public, and thus governments, into curtailing the scope and type of military aid offered Ukraine.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Well step one is not believing anything you read on social media.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Yes, I believe you are most likely right.

But Ukraine's allies will continue dumping increasingly more effective war material into the country until eventually russia is pushed back from a lack of its own sufficiently equipped forces to resist any longer. Maybe its 10 years, maybe 20, but eventually they're all killed/pushed back out of the country.

If this war continues and sanctions continue the Russian economy will be lucky to last 20 months let alone 20 years.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Because of course they are

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1518908853638909958

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

DickEmery posted:

If this war continues and sanctions continue the Russian economy will be lucky to last 20 months let alone 20 years.

I think the russian people are so singularly inured to hardship and privation that despite the sanctions the corpse of russia will shamble along for decades like a zombie before finally collapsing or shifting into some new paradigm.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I should reconsider being straight, if being gay is this cool.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Owling Howl posted:

I wonder if they wouldn't use them to stop Russian drones near the front. Right now they need to expend manpads to shoot down Orlan-10s. Gepards are probably more cost-effective and of course have radars although they may not be designed for targets that small.

That's also a very helpful use, I don't agree that they will not be recieved gratefully. How exactly they will deploy them is anyones guess, I thought about city defense because it in some ways simplifies the defense. Generally the missiles will come from one or a few directions, so you can plan and prepare how best to receive them. AA with artillery is kind of a mixed bag wrt success, so you need to stack the deck in your favor. If Ukraine goes on the offensive they can be used to provide AA to mobile armor, but right now things are pretty static and that mobility is perhaps not as useful. I think they are more vulnerable when roaming around at the front compared to hiding in the cities, so as scarce as they are going to be, that again suggests city defense to me.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Atreiden posted:

it's a quote of some guy shitposting on telegram who also thinks the Russian air force will be able to bomb NATO weapon supplies, something they haven't been able to do so far. So no this is not an indication that Russia has changed their mind about using nukes, it's there to show how out of touch with reality some of the Russian commentators are. It's tied together with the general that thinks Russia can conquer all of southern Ukraine, something that at the moment also seems highly unlikely since they are stuck in Kherson and have been for a month now.

Correct. It would also be a move that could likely trigger the one thing Russia doesn't want: Direct NATO intervention.

Not to mention the fact it would alienate China which Russia absolutely cannot afford to do.

If the Russian powers that be do decide to double down on stupid and escalate, current consensus (?) seems to be that it's likely to take the form of full mobilization which doesn't carry those risks. There's a lot of speculation that they'll use Victory Day on May 9 to switch from special operation mode to putting the country on a full war footing. (Or declare victory if they've made enough gains on the ground by then.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Quorum posted:

That's my favorite thing about being A Gay, the congressional charter I get to put on my wall

https://twitter.com/Gottemoeller/status/864874129597640704?t=jbgoWpLqt-qBh7lXlN0Teg&s=19

Can I get this with a goat head, please?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Western diplomats should just come out and say, "We agree. The risk of nuclear escalation is too high, and would be bad for the peoples of every nation. Therefore we will commit to not giving Ukraine nukes. We will content ourselves with only giving them conventional weapons and munitions. We respect Russia's restraint in using only conventional weapons and munitions in their 'special operation', and so we will follow their example and do the same."

Then convert a bunch of Ukrainian Territorial Defense Brigades stationed in western Ukraine into armored brigades by giving them some of those Abrams we have in perma-storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Des anyone know how many Russian soldiers are stationed in Transnistria?