Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

er to be clear GB news is an astroturfed alt right propaganda outlet filled with russian sympathisers

Anyone who follows GB News is a right plonker. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You know it's going well when Russia press gangs Jimmy from South Park into a van and does the Simpson's Fidel Castro "Give what back?" with their medical documents

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Just Another Lurker posted:

Anyone who follows GB News is a right plonker. :colbert:

General Bullshit News is much better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't see Ukraine ever accepting a negotiated settlement in this situation because they know exactly what that sort of thing is when it comes from Russia; a pause to let Russia rebuild and try again when they think it's better for them to do so while spending every single last minute of that "peace" time loving with their target in the endless poisoning/bribing/propaganda/etc. methods Russia employs.

i think russias kinda trapped. their plan was appernetly take all of the east and try to turn it into cold war germany and do it quick enough that it could weather any sanctions. fortuantly the rot is deep and now they are pissing in a hole. their best bet is to take a defesnisble part of the east and hold it and let the war go cold. because ukraine doesnt want it and the west is for now mostly willing to back them. putins best hope is trump winning and then loving everything up so he can force a hosed up treaty and then invade again later with a much much weaker ukraine. I think as of right now that probably doesnt happen. and russia is now stuck with at some point trying another zerg rush toward kyiv.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think russias kinda trapped. their plan was appernetly take all of the east and try to turn it into cold war germany and do it quick enough that it could weather any sanctions. fortuantly the rot is deep and now they are pissing in a hole. their best bet is to take a defesnisble part of the east and hold it and let the war go cold. because ukraine doesnt want it and the west is for now mostly willing to back them. putins best hope is trump winning and then loving everything up so he can force a hosed up treaty and then invade again later with a much much weaker ukraine. I think as of right now that probably doesnt happen. and russia is now stuck with at some point trying another zerg rush toward kyiv.

I'm not sure if Ukraine'd be willing to let DPR/LNR go but they definitely want Zaporizhzhia and other southern counties incl Crimea back. Russia clearly thinks some kind of magic threshold is passed if they occupy all of DPR/LNR but I don't know if that would move the needle for Ukraine at all what with all the war crimes. Presumably the borders are not exclusively along natural defense lines.

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

It's mating season for the Russian tank and they need the plumage to show their virility.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tiaz posted:

I'm not sure if Ukraine'd be willing to let DPR/LNR go but they definitely want Zaporizhzhia and other southern counties incl Crimea back. Russia clearly thinks some kind of magic threshold is passed if they occupy all of DPR/LNR but I don't know if that would move the needle for Ukraine at all what with all the war crimes. Presumably the borders are not exclusively along natural defense lines.

I could see the eastern breakaway regions basically becoming a demilitarized zone, but they clearly want Crimea back. Losing Crimea + wrecking the bridge would give Russia a massive metaphorical black eye and utterly humiliate Putin.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a gazebcope.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Which website?

Minusrus.com

Again, it’s definitely not a good source

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's a good one? isw?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tiaz posted:

i agree with that but i also think putin and co can't just stop their anymore because now their are tons of dear russian and alot of their military crippled. they need the capital at least now to prove they won something

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i agree with that but i also think putin and co can't just stop their anymore because now their are tons of dear russian and alot of their military crippled. they need the capital at least now to prove they won something

You mean Putin needs something more than a public speech about celebrating the absence of the abominations in the name of a better, cleaner world of Russian supremacy? :monocle:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

tiaz posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzivska_gas_field

Ukraine will 100% not be willing to let DPR go.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Tai posted:

Only tankies and Russia are blaming it on UA/NATO etc atm. Russia isn't really saying that much tbh. Even the right wing aren't saying much.

Yeah, i heard that poo poo from some angles. It seems likely that Nato with a collective population pool of over 900 mil fucks it up by employing a 71 year old writer to get the job done. The lack of critical thinking is incredible.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think hydrocarbon deposits really factor into the calculus for Ukrainian leadership. Resource extraction will require foreign investment from big oil and they would be very hesitant about any projects where there would be territorial disputes. Even if it was settled by magic tomorrow would anyone trust the Russian leadership not to break their word a few years down the line? Not giving up the Donbas makes more sense when you don't want to set a precedent in giving Putin what he wants.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What would be the point in giving up even an inch?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Khanstant posted:

What would be the point in giving up even an inch?

Peace today so that Russia can try again tomorrow is the only result of appeasement.

I hope that the west will give Ukraine the tools to liberate everything that's theirs and show Russia that trying again is a fool's errand.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope so too, woulda thought Europe would start pumping out swords when we saw Russia roll over a country during the Olympics, basically announcing they were going to start folding everyone who fought to be rid of the USSR into their new horrible melange of a nation.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Despite their eminent jeopardy, Europe chose to pump out s-words instead.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Budzilla posted:

I don't think hydrocarbon deposits really factor into the calculus for Ukrainian leadership. Resource extraction will require foreign investment from big oil and they would be very hesitant about any projects where there would be territorial disputes. Even if it was settled by magic tomorrow would anyone trust the Russian leadership not to break their word a few years down the line? Not giving up the Donbas makes more sense when you don't want to set a precedent in giving Putin what he wants.

This is honestly a nuts take.

Combining the west, east, and offshore discoveries, it's hundreds of trillions of dollars, conservatively. This is an UNAVOIDABLE factor for Ukrainian leadership.

It's the opportunity for energy independence, and the ability to become an oil and gas exporter, especially to the EU. Like arguably this is the main actual reason Russia attacked in the first place, because development of this oil and gas would have launched Ukraine immediately into being an ultra-successful state, i.e. a not-failed state.

There is already a proven model of foreign oil investment that is leveraged into longterm domestic success in the EU, without needing to become a fascist petrostate (Netherlands, Norway). Given how the investment would be from closely allied countries as well, this risk is so low compared to the win-win reward.

Shell and other companies being hesitant about projects where there are territorial disputes? Their entire existence is a risk/reward analysis on doing this stuff, in some of the most politically turbulent locations in the world. This is literally their expertise. They were all scaling up ready to go until 2014 happened.

The Ukraine War is a war for oil at its foundation, just like many of the other large wars post-Cold War.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ukraine war: No, blood for oil!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Satellite imagery from the Belbek airfield. Looks like the hits on the planes and fuel dump/weapon storage can be confirmed now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't think the damage to those two planes is going to buff out. Looks like they're both MiG-31s

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 17, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1791194212106375210
It also appears an Su-30 of some description met its fate in that same attack.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

every day one step closer to the glorious dream of a russia that loses all forms of pre 1912 aviation

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1791194212106375210
It also appears an Su-30 of some description met its fate in that same attack.

At a guess the Sukhoi was a lucky hit from falling debris, because it looks like the MiG-31s and the warehouse holding either their long range AA missiles or their Kinzhals depending on the version, and the S-400 systems were the primary targets.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

AnacondaHL posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzivska_gas_field

Oh, good point, thank you. I remembered about Crimea but completely forgot about the DNR/LNR deposits.
Ah well, I was in favor of them reclaiming their original borders anyway.

Tunicate posted:

Ukraine war: No, blood for oil!

:eyepop:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:qq:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

The Ukraine War is a war for oil at its foundation, just like many of the other large wars post-Cold War.
The problem with saying it's about oil is that Russia has far larger reserves (in less accessible areas) which dwarf anything Ukraine has. As for natural gas, most of Ukraine's is shale which requires western oil companies expertise to extract. They are not operating in Russia anymore and extraction equipment for shale gas which is almost exclusively tied up in Europe and the US has been sanctioned since at least 2017. It would have been cheaper and make more sense from an energy security perspective not to go full hog on the invasion in Feb 2022. If Russia somehow won and took the Donbas they wouldn't be able to extract the shale gas and if they could it would be sanctioned by the west and they can have fun building a multi 1000km pipeline to China or India. Or sell it for a huge L to the domestic market.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Putin wants that sweet grain monopoly to lord over Africa with.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Novorossiysk is currently under heavy attack by Ukrainian drones. Reportedly severe damage has already been inflicted and the attack is still ongoing.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1791243531362734584?t=RX12ESYJpCKC6f8P0gu5ZA&s=19

An ATACMS a day, keeps the Russians at bay.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Budzilla posted:

The problem with saying it's about oil is that Russia has far larger reserves (in less accessible areas) which dwarf anything Ukraine has. As for natural gas, most of Ukraine's is shale which requires western oil companies expertise to extract. They are not operating in Russia anymore and extraction equipment for shale gas which is almost exclusively tied up in Europe and the US has been sanctioned since at least 2017. It would have been cheaper and make more sense from an energy security perspective not to go full hog on the invasion in Feb 2022. If Russia somehow won and took the Donbas they wouldn't be able to extract the shale gas and if they could it would be sanctioned by the west and they can have fun building a multi 1000km pipeline to China or India. Or sell it for a huge L to the domestic market.

Right, but it still makes sense for Ukraine to want to hold on to those fields then, since if they win they can get closer to the West and replace Russia as Europe's source of gas.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://x.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1791291695696375882

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :qqsay:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1791341192908583021

quote:

A noisy night in Russia. Ukrainian UAVs attacked both Crimea and Russian mainland.

In Novorossiysk, the main port, an oil terminal and a Transneft facility were attacked. Public transport and electricity are not working in the city.

In Tuapse, an oil refinery came under attacked. In Sevastopol, explosions were also reported and partial blackouts occurred.

The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed the downing of ~100 UAVs and 6 naval drones.
XAXAXAXAXAXA We downed everything, ignore the evidence of your eyes and ears :byetankie:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

beer_war posted:

A tacms a day, keeps the Russians at bay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zone posted:

https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1791341192908583021

XAXAXAXAXAXA We downed everything, ignore the evidence of your eyes and ears :byetankie:

Didn't manage to intercept the Gundam, or the air-deployed Volodymyr Zelenskyy punching into the ground like Iron Man landing. Barely held off the Godzilla strike too.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

A tacms a day, keeps the Russians at bay.

Much better. :discourse:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

tiaz posted:

Right, but it still makes sense for Ukraine to want to hold on to those fields then, since if they win they can get closer to the West and replace Russia as Europe's source of gas.
I am sure but getting rich from what is rightfully your oil wealth would take a backseat in priority to being a victim of genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I saw that the Russian causalities each day now are more than the WW1 Western front on a normal day.

I just hope it's the Russian empire that collapses (again).