Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm a Windows Server/Automation mid/senior-level associate in upstate NY (~5 hours from NYC) making $80k + ~10% bonus with 24 days PTO.

Or at least I was, until they announced Monday they're outsourcing 90% of our department over the next three months. I have absolutely zero jealousy over the people staying.

I"m heading over to the Jobs thread now, but does anyone need a dude that can log in and say "Here, let me automate aaaallllllll that bullshit in PowerShell"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm a Windows Server/Automation mid/senior-level associate in upstate NY (~5 hours from NYC) making $80k + ~10% bonus with 24 days PTO.

Or at least I was, until they announced Monday they're outsourcing 90% of our department over the next three months. I have absolutely zero jealousy over the people staying.

I"m heading over to the Jobs thread now, but does anyone need a dude that can log in and say "Here, let me automate aaaallllllll that bullshit in PowerShell"?

Condolences, but completely hear you about not feeling bad about it. Going through a similar thing myself. Good luck with the job search, but it doesn't sound like you'll need it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Oh, I absolutely feel terrible for the folks who stay. The majority of my small team were all sharp as gently caress. It's the management that's being idiotic and chasing short-term profits. They're offshoring a bunch of core teams, and losing probably a century and a half of collective experience.

Some people will stay behind, and management is going to grind them into dust.

I'm glad I'm getting pushed out early, honestly. I was already close to the bottom of the seniority hill. The crap can't flow any further. It's going to start backing up and flooding the executive shitters soon.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

TheFace posted:

We go around with this conversation a lot. I love working from home and having no commute.

I make 130 from home and it's been easy to turn down offers much closer to 200 just because of needing to have a commute. WFH is really nice, and I apparently value it at around 70k which seems kind of silly now that I'm looking at the number.

I've been in IT since early 2014 which puts me in the 5 years+ range I guess. I got fairly lucky by starting in jr sysadmin and shortly after (~8 months) getting an offer for a network engineering role. No diploma or degree, what I did instead of that was apply to every remotely adjacent job in the continental US until successfully conning someone into hiring me. I've moved across the country 3 times now, and I've also completely bombed probably about 35 interviews.

The one job I've applied for that I was qualified for I ended up regretting.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
55k CAD for essentially endpoint escalation support (read T2 hell desk), SCCM administration, and VoIP admin at a national financial institution (a bank). I'm in Alberta.

There are many issues with this but as long as the many discussions I have had with management through AVPs bare fruit, then I should be better off this time next year.

I'm basically working the overqualified post for a year to move into things I actually care about and deem interesting.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Just over 50k with another 8k or so in bonuses with 2 weeks and another bonus week if I donate to United way in North Dakota. Been in the current position for 1.5 years with about quarterly flights to other locations. Left a close to 60k pre bonus position that I was bored at to come here, but it was really for my fiancé. 24/7 on call technically but I’ve been called in like once. If I work 40 a week it’s pretty amazing. Usually it’s closer to 36.

I do functionally end point management and manage a lot of our budget. I spend most of my time in PDQ scripting my life away. I’m looking to do some API stuff and get better at power shell but corporate has power shell disabled for most users so I can’t do anything the system account can’t do.

I’ve been in IT for over something like 15 years. The first 4 or so were in various helpdesks, then I worked desktop at university library, then off to oil crash money server admin/remote site support to where I am now.

Where I am now is deeply conservative and I miss the academics I used to work with, even if they were pains in the rear end.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vulture Culture posted:

I work from my house and not having a commute sucks rear end

The grass is always greener I guess
Man I have never heard anyone complain about NOT having a commute

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

We actually have a specific opening for a level 3/4 Powershell/API dude right now on my team but the commute might be a bitch. Seattle area.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ltugo posted:

$147K/year in Maryland as a "system engineer", basically setting up virtualized test environments for a military command based on Fort Meade. What's the secret, you ask? Join the military, get a security clearance, and stick around until you retire 20 years later. (I also get $41K/yr in retirement pay). Then trade your familiarity with your prior command for a sweet contractor gig.

If you work another 20 years you will have gotten back all the money you lost for the government paying you slave wages you had before you retired.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Meydey posted:

We actually have a specific opening for a level 3/4 Powershell/API dude right now on my team but the commute might be a bitch. Seattle area.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to trust my life to an experimental self-driving car!

But seriously, I'm open to relocation. Can you PM me, or email me at wizard@laboratory-17.net?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Seems like a perfect opportunity to trust my life to an experimental self-driving car!

But seriously, I'm open to relocation. Can you PM me, or email me at wizard@laboratory-17.net?

Pm sent.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

105k Sr OT Infra Engineer in Oregon w/ decent benefits. OT is IT but for the robutts. I touch pretty much everything from the network up through VMware and server OS level for supporting manufacturing/power generation systems.

Are you in Portland or? There is a pretty healthy online oregoon Slack, message me or reply here if you are interested...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kensei posted:

Are you in Portland or? There is a pretty healthy online oregoon Slack, message me or reply here if you are interested...

I'm down in Eugene but sure.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

skipdogg posted:

Do think about the future, but remember many of us have been doing this for 10, 15, 20+ years. My first "IT" gig was DSL tech support for 12 bucks an hour, and my first real IT gig was 42K a year salary. You'll work your way up as your career grows. It will grow, but it does need to be fed. Take advantage of training and tuition reimbursement at work. Don't be afraid to apply to jobs you think are a reach. Job postings are wish lists, not hard requirements.

Yeah I think most people in this thread started making around that amount when starting out. I started out at 13 bucks an hour in 2011 and made some good gains in the 8 years that I've been in the field.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'm down in Eugene but sure.

I work one day a week in Eugene! Drop me an email at kensei at easystreet dot net and I will get you the Slack invite...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

George H.W. oval office posted:

My life goal is to have remote work while van living on a beach

Paging Frolixo to this thread.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
88k, 401k matching, decent health, "unlimited" pto.

"DevOps", Finance, Chicago. Ansible, Python, PowerShell, Hadoop, Kubernetes, little bit of Jenkins so far. Newish to this kind of work, started at the service desk and worked my way up. We're working to build more modern platforms/services for our development team, the company as a whole is behind the curve a fair bit. Fairly interesting to be in at the ground level for some of these decisions.

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I don't know if I missed it, but congrats. I know years (5) ago you were looking for a better job, looks like it happened. Awesome and congrats!
Thanks! I sure did!

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude, you missed out on the whole Michigan saga.

It was a grand saga. Those fuckers found a patsy, I should ask my coworker how he’s working out.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
125k + 10% bonus, 401k matching, okay health insurance, "unlimited pto." I manage the Level 2 Desktop Support team, ServiceNow development team, and own our ITIL processes. The team is about 25 IT associates and we support 6,000 users.

Too much of my time is spent on Operations instead of improving our service through ServiceNow and process. However, I do get to learn a lot by testing out new ideas through ServiceNow and utilizing the support team.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Trying to suggest and implement changes in Service Now to automate things or just use storage rooms properly is harder than pulling teeth out of a whale. I have no idea why my work is like that, but I really hope it's not because the dev team is one guy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just over 50k + decent insurance and 401k matching.

I make up most of the IT department for a smallish family owned company with a few retail store locations and just under 300 employees. If it has buttons on it, it's generally my job to take care of it. Servers, networking, phones, etc... Been at the same place for 17 years now, started as cashier/customer service/stock boy right out of high school. Never went to college, no certs.

Could I get more elsewhere? Probably if I wanted to go to one of the bigger nearby cities like Indy or Cincy, which I don't want to do. My current salary is the same or better than other IT jobs in the area based on postings I see and friends that are in the industry.

But I enjoy the job, like the owners, like the company, the people I work with, and have a very, very short commute. More money would be nice, but it isn't everything. I'd rather have a 50k job that I enjoy with a 10 minute commute, than a 100k job I hate and have a 2 hour commute.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Trying to suggest and implement changes in Service Now to automate things or just use storage rooms properly is harder than pulling teeth out of a whale. I have no idea why my work is like that, but I really hope it's not because the dev team is one guy.

Most companies are like that. I have 200+ enhancement requests in backlog. Most of which will never get done.

My team for ServiceNow is myself, an analyst, a tech who doubles as support and is being trained on ServiceNow, and our ServiceNow partner which is a team of consultants. If we did not have the consultants, we would make zero progress.

If I was not managing the level 2 desktop team, then I would be able to pump out far more enhancements.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Consultant - NoSQL databases, business intelligence, full stack JS, security and governance, generally fixing terrible design decisions and tech debt - Buffalo NY. I work 100% remote. In theory, there could be up to 50% travel, but my current customer doesn't want to pay to see my ugly face in person.

$135k base, $151k+ with bonuses (bonuses are pretty much just dependant on doing my job and billing, and they're guaranteed as long as I hit enough billable hours). W2 with really solid benefits. Actually unlimited PTO with the caveat that it counts against my billable time, so will eventually dig into my bonus.

I have a weird background - 8 years of experience, mostly security and infrastructure, focused on design, architecture and presales engineering. My current role is a lot more development/implementation focused. No degree. Probably looking at going into upper management as my next step.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 18, 2019

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
£40k fairly statutory benefits (UK) I am very north for what that's worth.
Some on call which I get paid on top of salary for.

My title is IT manager, I'm a bit of a jack of all trades, run a couple of windows networks, do phones,printers, some security stuff (Info sec and CCTV flavours as it happens)

I've been here 5 years now and I've pretty much done anything worth doing - time for a step up

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
On the topic of salary chat, I'm at a company that I've been told 'doesn't give raises' outside of the usual 3% COL increase. I'm sure this is not entirely true.

So as someone who has never done this before, how the hell do you ask for a raise? My salary + bonus is below what is listed as 'average' for the position title in my area on glassdoor. I've had some pretty good accomplishments recently, etc. Should I just say I'd like a raise and just be prepared if they ask me why? Do I ask for a specific amount? Or let them throw me a number?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Leave and consider accepting their counter-offer? That is kind of the norm when companies pull poo poo like that

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

On the topic of salary chat, I'm at a company that I've been told 'doesn't give raises' outside of the usual 3% COL increase. I'm sure this is not entirely true.

So as someone who has never done this before, how the hell do you ask for a raise? My salary + bonus is below what is listed as 'average' for the position title in my area on glassdoor. I've had some pretty good accomplishments recently, etc. Should I just say I'd like a raise and just be prepared if they ask me why? Do I ask for a specific amount? Or let them throw me a number?

It’s been the norm for a long time that the only way for a real raise is to switch companies.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sickening posted:

It’s been the norm for a long time that the only way for a real raise is to switch companies.

That or get into management (and then the company ALSO loses a valuable technician).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My company also says they don't ever give raises. But that's bullshit and kinda true. If you get a raise outside the normal COL increase, they change your title. So they can say they don't give out raises, but promotions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Leave and consider accepting their counter-offer? That is kind of the norm when companies pull poo poo like that
Never take the counter-offer.

If they're insistent they don't give raises outside of CoL, you should leave when you feel you're entitled to a raise.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah, I'm in training all week so I'll ask my manager Monday and see how he takes it. If I'm going through the anxiety filled hassle of job hunting, I'm sure as poo poo not going to take a counteroffer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

That or get into management (and then the company ALSO loses a valuable technician).

This is a surefire way to probably not get the raise you are looking for either. You are just going to be underpaid in a new tier of job.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sickening posted:

This is a surefire way to probably not get the raise you are looking for either. You are just going to be underpaid in a new tier of job.

oh for sure, my point was more about the company losing a skillset and gaining... nothing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

While it's true the biggest raises come from moving jobs, there's no harm in asking (unless your boss is an utter sociopath I guess, which some are! If you think there's a serious chance of retaliation, disregard the rest of this post and start job hunting). There's a spectrum of companies and managers from "we proactively work hard to retain talent", to "you'll take your lovely COL raise and like it". Some will magically make an exception to the policy if you can show you're underpaid compared to your contributions and they're likely to lose you over it.

Do you have a regular 1:1 with your manager? That's a good time to have this kind of talk. If not, schedule a meeting with them. In either case, let them know in advance that you want to talk about performance and compensation. Don't just roll in and say "yo I want a raise, bitch". It's better if you both have a little time to prepare and reflect. If you blindside them they're more apt to just reflexively deny the request.

Prepare your case. Bring your research on what the average salary for this position in your metro area is, with your years of experience. Bring the highlights of your accomplishments over the years, especially anything that seems above and beyond your title/status. Then yeah, ask for a specific number based on all of that, preferably above the average. From there, it's up to your boss and HR.

Even if you do wind up getting a raise, this is probably a one time deal. You don't want to have to go begging and scraping to your manager every few years as you fall behind the curve again, nor are they likely to grant it. I'd gratefully take the raise and casually spin up the job hunt as time permits.

If they flat out say "gently caress no", welp, at least you know where you stand. Time to very actively start looking for a better gig.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011
Little late to the salary posts but figured I'd contribute still.

62.5k USD, decent health, dental, and eye. No 401k matching, 2 weeks PTO a year. 5-10% raise annually, as well as 10% bonus of net salary at year end. Work in the greater San Diego area in California.

This is my first technology-based career, and I've only been in the industry for about a year and a half. Started at this company making 36k as a helldesk rep and have moved up, first to Support Manager, and now I've got the title/role of Support Engineer.

Most of what I do would probably be considered T2 or T3 escalated tickets/being the funnel to the development team/getting stuff they don't know who to give to. I've become pretty familiar with APIs, SQL, AWS, and supporting a SAAS product. I'm still in school and my plan is to use this job/my education to work towards a DevOps career.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

This is what worked for me. YMMV, take my advice with a grain of salt.

I sat down with my manager and asked about my career progression. We talked and I asked him "What can I do to put a Senior title in front of my Sys Admin title, what would you like to see from me to make this happen in the next year or so, I feel like I'm already doing Sr level work and I'd like to know there's a path forward career wise" I stated my case and accomplishments.

He told me he felt I was ready for the Senior title now and to give him a couple months to make it happen with HR, which he did. I got the promotion, a decent bump in pay, and things worked out.

I will agree that generally large raises are accompanied by promotions or title changes. We have 5 steps in each job, so a raise outside of the normal merit/col would be tied to a title promotion.

I'm not the mercenary type that job hops every couple of years to maximize earnings. Good managers want to keep good employees and will usually do what they can to keep you happy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sorry, but actual question for you Americans, I think a "401k" is a retirement fund, right? Is it a public fund like we have something called CPP up here? Or is it through your private bank?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

While it's true the biggest raises come from moving jobs, there's no harm in asking (unless your boss is an utter sociopath I guess, which some are! If you think there's a serious chance of retaliation, disregard the rest of this post and start job hunting). There's a spectrum of companies and managers from "we proactively work hard to retain talent", to "you'll take your lovely COL raise and like it". Some will magically make an exception to the policy if you can show you're underpaid compared to your contributions and they're likely to lose you over it.

Do you have a regular 1:1 with your manager? That's a good time to have this kind of talk. If not, schedule a meeting with them. In either case, let them know in advance that you want to talk about performance and compensation. Don't just roll in and say "yo I want a raise, bitch". It's better if you both have a little time to prepare and reflect. If you blindside them they're more apt to just reflexively deny the request.

Prepare your case. Bring your research on what the average salary for this position in your metro area is, with your years of experience. Bring the highlights of your accomplishments over the years, especially anything that seems above and beyond your title/status. Then yeah, ask for a specific number based on all of that, preferably above the average. From there, it's up to your boss and HR.

Even if you do wind up getting a raise, this is probably a one time deal. You don't want to have to go begging and scraping to your manager every few years as you fall behind the curve again, nor are they likely to grant it. I'd gratefully take the raise and casually spin up the job hunt as time permits.

If they flat out say "gently caress no", welp, at least you know where you stand. Time to very actively start looking for a better gig.
Assuming you're in the U.S., this is not a bad way to ask for a raise, but be aware that it is entirely possible you could hurt yourself by asking. However good or bad your immediate manager is, your incentives are fundamentally antagonistic: you want to make as much money as you can, management wants to pay you as little as they can. So, when you come at them with numbers from other places (or even without them), your manager (or their manager, or their manager's manager) may take it a signal that you have one foot out the door. Whether they give you the raise or not, they may treat you differently after you ask. They may say that you're not being a team player, they may be resentful that you would ask, they may start looking for someone to replace you (and this applies whether or not they agree to the raise).

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, but actual question for you Americans, I think a "401k" is a retirement fund, right? Is it a public fund like we have something called CPP up here? Or is it through your private bank?
It's an employer-controlled investment account. You put money into it that you get tax incentives for (and usually some sort of employer match, like they put in $.50 for every $1.00 you put in up to 3% of your salary), and can choose from a selection of investments offered by whoever the 401(k) provider is. John Oliver did a great thing on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 18, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

They are private funds managed through an investment bank and tied to your employer.

If you leave your job, that specific 401k cannot be contributed to anymore, but can be transferred to a different one if your new employer provides it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

They are private funds managed through an investment bank and tied to your employer.

If you leave your job, that specific 401k cannot be contributed to anymore, but can be transferred to a different one if your new employer provides it.

Gotcha, thank you.