Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I've reached peak family law.

I needed some hours yesterday so when my narrasistic client called, I subtitly insulted him.

I got a 2.6 hours phone call out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've reached peak family law.

I needed some hours yesterday so when my narrasistic client called, I subtitly insulted him.

I got a 2.6 hours phone call out of that.

What, you called him a boob?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Winning appellate cases in private practice: champagne, cash bonuses, general excitement. :unsmith:

Winning appellate cases as government counsel: pat on the back, now go write the briefing note. :smith:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Nice piece of fish posted:

What, you called him a boob?

“Quit being a titty baby”

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I took best opening statement, and a girl got best cross but we got our asses collectively kicked. Detroit is god awful and Pontiac is just as bad if not worse.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Had my final ever law class today. I think I should feel something - happy, relieved, scared, whatever - but I don't feel anything at all. Is this how I know I'm really ready to be a lawyer? This emptiness inside?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Whitlam posted:

Had my final ever law class today. I think I should feel something - happy, relieved, scared, whatever - but I don't feel anything at all. Is this how I know I'm really ready to be a lawyer? This emptiness inside?

Time to fill you back up with some self loathing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: I charge for long answers.

(congrats)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Fun story, I only have one law exam this semester because my other subject had all assessment tasks completed by week 10 (12 week semesters) so there was no point going to class after then. Not that there was much point going before, since the topic for our final assessment piece (worth 60% of our grade) was self-selected. Not, like, off a list or anything, our task was to come up with any prompt and topic we wanted and write it. We didn't have a rubric either.

I have so many stories about this place.

(Thanks for goongrats.)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

Time to fill you back up with some self loathing

And liquor!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

blarzgh posted:

And liquor!

They go together like gin and tonic

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Now that I work in HR I get to see what various medical professionals make. Even though I make more than I did practicing law, I still make less than a lot of nurses. :smith:

On the other hand I get out of work at a normal time and never bring anything home with me. :unsmith:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Now that I work in HR I get to see what various medical professionals make. Even though I make more than I did practicing law, I still make less than a lot of nurses. :smith:

On the other hand I get out of work at a normal time and never bring anything home with me. :unsmith:

Realistically, nurses deserve FAR more in pay than a lawyer gets. Except for maybe a civil rights attorney who wins often, I'm having a hard time thinking of attorneys in any practice area who do as much net good as a nurse does.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Whitlam posted:

Lol, now you have to pass the bar. Or you can still quit now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You could always make quesadillas for a living

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

nm posted:

If you're going to pass the bar grab me a drink while you're there

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

You could always make quesadillas for a living

Did dave ever get that burrito?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hank when are you going to tour the country and bring the joy of the taco truck to all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

Did dave ever get that burrito?

Nah the closest they got to me was 2+ hours away.

Eminent Domain posted:

Hank when are you going to tour the country and bring the joy of the taco truck to all.

This dinosaur isn't made for over the road truckin. Unless i find some angel investor it's just selling outside the smokeshop/bar/random catering gigs for me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

nm posted:

Nah, I'm in Australia. I'm going to do PLT (basically a mandated diploma type thing to get your practising certificate, equivalent to articles) and I'm done. If I get into the program I want, I should theoretically finish in July next year (doing it part-time because I currently have a job).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
"You know what the difference between a financial planner and a divorce lawyer is? The financial planner is the easy job. He goes 'Give me your assets, I'll grow them.'

You come to my office and you say 'Here's a big pile of poo poo. Fix it.'

So that's what I'm doing. And you can either take my advice or go somewhere else and find someone else to deal with your poo poo.'"

--Conversations with clients, Captainscraps, 10-25-2017

She racked up 70K in debt in a one year marriage to an unemployed guy, had a stroke, was unable to work, and he got a job making $35K a year and she expects enough alimony to fix it, despite her also working.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Realistically, nurses deserve FAR more in pay than a lawyer gets. Except for maybe a civil rights attorney who wins often, I'm having a hard time thinking of attorneys in any practice area who do as much net good as a nurse does.

I save large corporations and banks lots of money, which I assume in America is good. Right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

pro bono asylum lawyers, maybe

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hello Internet Friends (both imaginary and otherwise),

An update (for those of whom I know await my pronouncements with baited breath). I did take a leave of absence. It has been going now for roughly six months.

I continue to work with my existing psychologist and the new psychiatrist, both of whom I like . Unfortunately, I have not found any drug combination (after trying many) that has worked to allow me to return to work. I am trying other treatments now (nothing goofy or new age – all scientific and FDA approved). From talking to them, both of them seem to think that a return to work (as a corporate attorney) is not a good idea – they think that the job does not fit with my background, makeup, personality, etc. A co-worker that I trust has said something similar – that I should not return unless I really feel better and there is a demonstrable reason for that that seems likely to continue. So far, that is not the case. I feel less stress and pressure from not working, but it's not like I feel like I can go back and be any better than I was before.

So that’s where things stand. I’m unfortunately a bit unsure what to do. I cannot exactly plan for a life of perpetual leave from work. At the same time, I really have no other passions or interests that scream they are my future, and do not really just want to throw darts at a board to figure out what to do next (as doing that is kind of what led to my being in this situation in the first place as an attorney). The experts agree that I should not just pick some vocation, but unfortunately, their agreeing that is a bad idea does not give me any actual affirmative direction as to what I should actually be doing. I'm sure the lack of interest in some new career is a sign of the depression and anxiety, but unfortunately knowing that does not help me fix it.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

I'm sure the lack of interest in some new career is a sign of the depression and anxiety, but unfortunately knowing that does not help me fix it.

Congratulations on some positive steps. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to figure it out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Hello Internet Friends (both imaginary and otherwise),

An update (for those of whom I know await my pronouncements with baited breath). I did take a leave of absence. It has been going now for roughly six months.

I continue to work with my existing psychologist and the new psychiatrist, both of whom I like . Unfortunately, I have not found any drug combination (after trying many) that has worked to allow me to return to work. I am trying other treatments now (nothing goofy or new age – all scientific and FDA approved). From talking to them, both of them seem to think that a return to work (as a corporate attorney) is not a good idea – they think that the job does not fit with my background, makeup, personality, etc. A co-worker that I trust has said something similar – that I should not return unless I really feel better and there is a demonstrable reason for that that seems likely to continue. So far, that is not the case. I feel less stress and pressure from not working, but it's not like I feel like I can go back and be any better than I was before.

So that’s where things stand. I’m unfortunately a bit unsure what to do. I cannot exactly plan for a life of perpetual leave from work. At the same time, I really have no other passions or interests that scream they are my future, and do not really just want to throw darts at a board to figure out what to do next (as doing that is kind of what led to my being in this situation in the first place as an attorney). The experts agree that I should not just pick some vocation, but unfortunately, their agreeing that is a bad idea does not give me any actual affirmative direction as to what I should actually be doing. I'm sure the lack of interest in some new career is a sign of the depression and anxiety, but unfortunately knowing that does not help me fix it.

Law professor. Enough uofm profs get indicted, and they'll need some people.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Slyfrog: become a professional Hearthstone player.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I'm sure the lack of interest in some new career is a sign of the depression and anxiety, but unfortunately knowing that does not help me fix it.

I truly hope you get things worked out. It sounds like you're making positive steps, even if depression makes it hard to see them as positive.

It took me four tries (and 3 degrees) to finally find a career that clicked for me. I'm sure there's something out there that you will find fulfilling, and I hope you find it soon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Lack of interest in enjoyment in things you previously enjoyed is absolutely a symptom; I get a strong urge to quit my job and move continents if my citalopram drops below 20mg/day, plus lots of undirected work stress and frustration.

I hope you find a good fit to lift you out enough to get on with things. If it helps it sounds a lot like what I went through and although you start to forget what it was like to feel things or enjoy anything, I can confirm you're not permabroken and there is a normal to return to.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SlyFrog have you thought about HR? It’s super-chill.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

SlyFrog have you thought about HR?

He thinks about me every night before he falls asleep.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HiddenReplaced posted:

Because it's wanking time?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Because it's wanking time?

Yes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

SlyFrog have you thought about HR? It’s super-chill.

Like Human Resources? Really? I would have assumed there's a lot of firing people, disappointing people, etc. One thing I have realized is that in particular, I'm tired of conflict. Tired of arguing with people. Tired of negotiating minutia, fighting. My new theory is that transnational law practice is like haggling for a used car all day ("Oh, come on, I can't give you that, no one gets that, you have to do better, sharpen your pencil, etc.").

So super-chill is good, but I guess I never associated that with a human resources position?

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is true - I want to thank you for giving me the only bright point in my life right now - mental use of your body on a nightly basis.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Lack of interest in enjoyment in things you previously enjoyed is absolutely a symptom; I get a strong urge to quit my job and move continents if my citalopram drops below 20mg/day, plus lots of undirected work stress and frustration.

I hope you find a good fit to lift you out enough to get on with things. If it helps it sounds a lot like what I went through and although you start to forget what it was like to feel things or enjoy anything, I can confirm you're not permabroken and there is a normal to return to.

Thanks. Though hope may seem an odd thing for depression and anxiety, I do at least hold out some hope that this some day will be better.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I truly hope you get things worked out. It sounds like you're making positive steps, even if depression makes it hard to see them as positive.

It took me four tries (and 3 degrees) to finally find a career that clicked for me. I'm sure there's something out there that you will find fulfilling, and I hope you find it soon.

Thank you. I am thinking long and hard about what other careers are: (i) realistic at my age and background; and (ii) might be fulfilling for me. Right now, it still feels a bit like throwing darts at a board (because of the lack of interest and passion), and I don't want to make the same mistake I made with going into law. The psychiatrist and psychologist both say I need to give it time. But it does naturally lead me to ask, "How much time before I'm not giving it time, but just spinning my wheels?"

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Slyfrog: become a professional Hearthstone player.

Professional videogamer/gamer would be a natural fit, if only I wasn't loving terrible at them.

nm posted:

Law professor. Enough uofm profs get indicted, and they'll need some people.

Does it come with giant suit shoulder pads and a downtown apartment for student mistresses?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Congratulations on some positive steps. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to figure it out.

Thank you. Giving time is hard, but I'm doing my best.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What do you do most days slyfrog?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What do you do most days slyfrog?

Well, that’s an open question. I have weekly meetings with two professionals, as well as a daily medical treatment (which should be over in another 4-6 weeks).

Outside of that, I try to meditate for 30 minutes, and go for a 3 mile walk. I need to find a gym or something for that though, now that it has gotten cold.

I play some video games, watch some TV, and try to read.

Activities are actually an issue in themselves. I don’t really have passion for anything. I try to get out and do some things just to do them, but again, it feels more like an assignment than a desire to do something. Fake it till you make it, except I’ve been faking it for years and it never seems to switch to the “make it” part.

The therapists tell me that I do not need to push right now, and just need to give things time and be kind to myself. It’s hard to do, but in fairness, anything I went to do would just be stabbing in the dark anyway.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Man I feel like you. If I didn't have a kid and a dog and a wife all of which demand time and attention I wonder what I would do for fun. I'm just not that into anything besides food and Twitter.

Stage two of slyfrogging I guess.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Man I feel like you. If I didn't have a kid and a dog and a wife all of which demand time and attention I wonder what I would do for fun. I'm just not that into anything besides food and Twitter.

Stage two of slyfrogging I guess.

Yeah. I do try to do a really good job of being with my kid, but he’s getting older so I also try to avoid spending so much time with him that he doesn’t get out with his own friends. I want him to develop his own life and interests too, and not just be dad’s buddy all the time.

I did also forget something that you triggered - I’ve been trying to cook real food much more regularly (which takes time).

Don’t worry too much. Wife, kid, and dog are legitimate interests and things to spend time on in their own right. They’re much better ways to fill the void than killing drifters. :-)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Have you considered being a financial planner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Well, that’s an open question. I have weekly meetings with two professionals, as well as a daily medical treatment (which should be over in another 4-6 weeks).

Outside of that, I try to meditate for 30 minutes, and go for a 3 mile walk. I need to find a gym or something for that though, now that it has gotten cold.

I play some video games, watch some TV, and try to read.

Activities are actually an issue in themselves. I don’t really have passion for anything. I try to get out and do some things just to do them, but again, it feels more like an assignment than a desire to do something. Fake it till you make it, except I’ve been faking it for years and it never seems to switch to the “make it” part.

The therapists tell me that I do not need to push right now, and just need to give things time and be kind to myself. It’s hard to do, but in fairness, anything I went to do would just be stabbing in the dark anyway.

Minneapolis is the best cycling city in America, and they even plow the bike paths (and make studded bike tires). I'm not of the "exercise cures everything" but restarting cycling got me out of a huge slump.