Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If you can imagine a couple of kids singing "poop, piss, fart" to the tune of Are You Sleeping on repeat then you would know how my day was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

If you can imagine a couple of kids singing "poop, piss, fart" to the tune of Are You Sleeping on repeat then you would know how my day was.

Not enough syllables

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

IDK MAN IM NOT GOOD AT LEGAL WAYS OF MAKING MONEY

(i think its a solid investment in cognitive dissonance)

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 19, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

IDK MAN IM NOT GOOD AT LEGAL WAYS OF MAKING MONEY

Suck dick

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alhazred posted:

Eat rear end, sell drugs
Eat rear end, sell drugs
Suck a dick
Suck a dick

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My local nerd is being devoured by Funko Pop. Like a hideous plastic mold it is spreading at an alarming rate. It used to be one little shelf in the corner of the toy section but now it's expanded to totally cover an entire wall of the store.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Last time I went to gamestop it was basically a funko pop shop

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Last time I went to gamestop it was basically a funko pop shop

I was working there as it happened. At first they sent us one of those baby Groots. Then a fixture for them. And then shelves and shelves and then they took up a good chunk of the store. They just wouldn't stop. It was so nervewracking. I didn't have enough space to put them all out, so I'd shove a bunch of doubles in the backroom. But then corporate demanded that we have all collectible merchandise on the floor. And then they had crazy impossible demands with regards how to shelve them in which wasn't efficient. Or planograms that were outdated as soon as we got them and new shipments.

I need to breathe. I'm not getting paid much more these days but my happiness levels are higher and my stress levels are much lower.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was working there as it happened. At first they sent us one of those baby Groots. Then a fixture for them. And then shelves and shelves and then they took up a good chunk of the store. They just wouldn't stop. It was so nervewracking. I didn't have enough space to put them all out, so I'd shove a bunch of doubles in the backroom. But then corporate demanded that we have all collectible merchandise on the floor. And then they had crazy impossible demands with regards how to shelve them in which wasn't efficient. Or planograms that were outdated as soon as we got them and new shipments.

I need to breathe. I'm not getting paid much more these days but my happiness levels are higher and my stress levels are much lower.

Planograms are dumb as gently caress and when I worked at radioshack they made us use ones for stores with an entirely different shelving system than ours so we could never fit products properly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That reminds me of the time we got cardboard endcaps we had to construct and my manager not being able to put it together so he picked it up half constructed and threw it as hard as he could at the door to the backroom and the reported it as damaged in shipping.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"funko pops are a ridiculous waste of money" he said, glancing out the window to see if the UPS guy brought the 10,000 piece LEGO death star yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

My local nerd is being devoured by Funko Pop. Like a hideous plastic mold it is spreading at an alarming rate. It used to be one little shelf in the corner of the toy section but now it's expanded to totally cover an entire wall of the store.

Because they sell well and it's become a fairly reliable source of money as the comics market dies

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I live in a shithole country where any horror or universal monster figurine costs a butt load. I can get a frankenstein funko for 16 bucks. gently caress the haters.

https://twitter.com/lonelyfrontier/status/954130079893790720

Edit: A Fantastic Woman is great. Go watch it if you can.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I’ll buy a Funko pop when they do directors like Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

I’ll buy a Funko pop when they do directors like Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick.

So there's a sub line called pop rides that's a character and a vehicle and I guess what I'm saying is Kane on Rosebud when

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

Planograms are dumb as gently caress and when I worked at radioshack they made us use ones for stores with an entirely different shelving system than ours so we could never fit products properly.

Back in college in ... 2003, I applied to and got a job in the TV department at a Best Buy that was just being built (this was in Dubuque, Iowa, so you can imagine how excited people were for it). So all the store opening staff had to pretty much put the store together.

I should also note that this was to be the first of Best Buy's new concept stores, with the "road" design around the store and the immediate front area having whatever new item was being pushed by a company that bought the space there. So this was pretty new to everyone.

Anyway, the team lead walks us through what planograms are and walks us through the different abbreviations and acronyms and whatnot, and tells us to start assembling sections and shelving.

loving Best Buy sent us planograms for the old concept store, not the new one.

(That place was a loving death cult, too. Begin and end of every shift, everyone gets in a circle and starts chanting "878 APPRECIATE! 878 ULTIMATE! 878 DOMINATE!" Plus bag checks at the end of every shift. I walked out after four days, with the store still a week and a half away from opening, and never looked back.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Retail is hell and I’ll die before I go back.

Also the only people who thrive in that environment are like serial killers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Funko pops make me depressed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ay yo, lay off dickeye, i'm wayyyyy loving worse than he is

(got drunk on new years and bumped into the shelf. RIP expensive and rare Dib)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Retail is hell and I’ll die before I go back.

I survived it 6 years by just not giving a gently caress. Somehow. I had a pretty decent manager who'd let us drink on the job (when there was only like 3 of us there) so that helped.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's sort of like people who are just really, really, really good at enterprise sales (like in SaaS or stuff of that nature): It seems like you have to be a sociopath.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You have a Waddles toy?!?!

I love u

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Timby posted:

Back in college in ... 2003, I applied to and got a job in the TV department at a Best Buy that was just being built (this was in Dubuque, Iowa, so you can imagine how excited people were for it). So all the store opening staff had to pretty much put the store together.

I should also note that this was to be the first of Best Buy's new concept stores, with the "road" design around the store and the immediate front area having whatever new item was being pushed by a company that bought the space there. So this was pretty new to everyone.

Anyway, the team lead walks us through what planograms are and walks us through the different abbreviations and acronyms and whatnot, and tells us to start assembling sections and shelving.

loving Best Buy sent us planograms for the old concept store, not the new one.

(That place was a loving death cult, too. Begin and end of every shift, everyone gets in a circle and starts chanting "878 APPRECIATE! 878 ULTIMATE! 878 DOMINATE!" Plus bag checks at the end of every shift. I walked out after four days, with the store still a week and a half away from opening, and never looked back.)

Radioshack couldn't have afforded to come up with a team chant lol.

My buddy got fired from best buy for not pushing warranties

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Nah dude not even close, I can respect a man spending money on things that have some kind of sentimental value more than jcan a dude collecting for the sake of collecting

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Itd be like if I bought comics indiscriminately because they were comics and no other reason

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nah dude not even close, I can respect a man spending money on things that have some kind of sentimental value more than jcan a dude collecting for the sake of collecting

I was trying to get them to jump on me dawg.

I hate pops but my hate is just that, my hate,. i dont really care if other people buy them. I get tempted sometimes myself. I've cut down on collecting quite a bit. I have too much stuff and it's no beuno.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have a couple Pops. Don't get the hate. I can see not liking the designs but actively hating them? We consume all kinds of media poo poo. A simple, cheap statue is where the line is drawn?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

not gonna lie though, i collect the zim comics both out of my love, and out of habit. I always get the varients.

except one. I def skipped smorky's.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You don't understand, we could use all that plastic to provide free healthcare!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

not gonna lie though, i collect the zim comics both out of my love, and out of habit. I always get the varients.

except one. I def skipped smorky's.

Yeah that came out before the whole Thing happened and I remember being like hey cool I know who that is

Now it's uh real weird

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

Did you really have to pronounce it "ultim-eight"?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

Did you really have to pronounce it "ultim-eight"?

Oh yes.

Anyway, here's the entirety of my nerd stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Ugh.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

The Paul Reiser toy cracked me up

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Those are some bomb rear end toys. I wish I had a collection like that. I only have two Punishers (one comic, other from Daredevil season 2 which was a gift from a friend) and Daredevil (also from show and a gift). I'd love a Conan figure or Blade or the old school guys like The Shadow/Doc Savage/Rocketeer etc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dammit, I just found out about Mom and Dad (a Nick Cage movie about a community that gets infected with a zombie-like infection that makes adults want to violently kill their kids, and only their own kids), got super excited for it, only to find its playing at only two places, and not even close to me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because they sell well and it's become a fairly reliable source of money as the comics market dies

I understand why they do it. Those things are a huge money maker. But it feels like one day I'll walk in to buy a book or something but the Funko Pop infection will have spread to the entire store so they don't sell anything else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CNN has reached self-parody levels I never thought possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Oh yes.

Anyway, here's the entirety of my nerd stuff.

That firehouse set is sick! When I was a kid, I only heard stories about it. But it never existed when I was around. I would've loved to have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

That firehouse set is sick! When I was a kid, I only heard stories about it. But it never existed when I was around. I would've loved to have one

The firehouse, Stay-Puft, Slimer and the Ghostbusters are all from when I was a kid. (Ecto-1 got lost in a move somewhere in the sands of time and I've never gotten my hands on another one.) Also, it was probably never around because you're like a decade younger than me; I was born in '84. :v:

The two art pieces were done by a friend of mine who does webcomics as a hobby; my wife commissioned him as a surprise for my birthday a couple of years ago.

Edit: Almost forgot. I have the old pack, too.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 19, 2018

• Locked thread