Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is kinda like when someone tells me an anime is really cool if I just ignore the incest part.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also you can play the game of "Take something out of the context of the work and describe it in a horrifying way" to literally every piece of fictional media ever produced.

Yeah well I saw the actual scene and found it terrible on its face, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I honestly stopped watching Jurassic Park when they graphically showed someone being electrocuted to death and had the camera linger on the dead body for 5 minutes. I really don't need to watch that.

Lurdiak posted:

This is kinda like when someone tells me an anime is really cool if I just ignore the incest part.

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress? That's nowhere even close to what he was saying dude, he was giving you context for the scene you described which you weren't even correct in the first place.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 30, 2017

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Sneak peek at the Leper from IT:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/183645/stephen-kings-first-look-leper/

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

I think it took King making Maximum Overdrive (and rehab) to realize he's not a filmmaker, he's a storyteller, and that no adaptation (except for eventually Shawshank) will be as good as or better than The Shining. He just can't admit it because, you know, pride.

Wait wait wait - are you suggesting that Shawshank Redemption is as good The Shining and in fact the best King adaptation?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Wait wait wait - are you suggesting that Shawshank Redemption is as good The Shining and in fact the best King adaptation?

Depends on how you feel about Kubrick I guess, for me he's a top-3 director of all-time so The Shining will always be #1. Some people really love Shawshank though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
As much as I enjoy The Shining, Shawshank is not only a great movie but you can watch it and know that "Hey no one was psychologically abused during the making of this movie!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

That's not a very controversial take outside of this board.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I honestly stopped watching Jurassic Park when they graphically showed someone being electrocuted to death and had the camera linger on the dead body for 5 minutes. I really don't need to watch that.

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress? That's nowhere even close to what he was saying dude, he was giving you context for the scene you described which you weren't even correct in the first place.

You are getting really defensive for no reason my dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

As much as I enjoy The Shining, Shawshank is not only a great movie but you can watch it and know that "Hey no one was psychologically abused during the making of this movie!"

Eh, someone was probably psychologically abused in the process of making every good movie, it seems to be a common theme. As long as it wasn't a child or an unpaid extra or something I'm ok with it. Artists suffer for their art, they love that poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

That's not a very controversial take outside of this board.

It's not a very controversial take if 78% of your movie watching was done in 1999 with a TV stuck on TNT

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^----I'm pretty sure Shelly Duvall wasn't loving working on the set of The Shining man.

If we cut out the adult portion of the novel I wonder how long IT is gonna be without having big portions cut out. It's been a while since I've read the book but I feel like the sections in the 50's take up a much larger chunk of the story.

Lurdiak posted:

You are getting really defensive for no reason my dude.

Responding to your comment isn't being defensive bro calm down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, someone was probably psychologically abused in the process of making every good movie

Not just good movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The "psychological abuse" on the set of The Shining is only publicly known because of the popularity of the film and director. It's a dumb reason to look down on the movie.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Ignoring the abuse because it's a popular movie is dumb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kubrick was absolutely a gigantic rear end in a top hat on the set of The Shining, but in the end we're talking about adults who are free to walk away at any time. I feel bad that she was treated that way but not badly enough that it hurts my ability to enjoy one of the best films ever made. It's not the same as stuff we've discussed in here before like animal abuse or abuse of native populations who are vulnerable to that kind of thing and don't necessarily have a choice about the abuse they take.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
You don't think women are vulnerable in Hollywood? You don't think that if she had "just walked away" she wouldn't have been blacklisted for defying Kubrick? That seems a little suspect.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jummy posted:

Ignoring the abuse because it's a popular movie is dumb.

Overemphasizing it to the extent of making it a mark against the film is even dumber.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Look guys sure a woman was terrorized and psychologically abused on set for weeks on end but man that movie was super spooky so it's dumb to hold it against the film furthermore ~fart~

Look I like the movie, but to try and minimize the abuse in some effort to make yourself feel better for liking the movie is a lovely thing to do. You can easily say "What happened was awful but I'm able to separate the art and artist and still find value in the work" without saying "Well....was it reeeeeeeeeally abuse to isolate an actress on set and scream at her constantly?"

Basebf555 posted:

Kubrick was absolutely a gigantic rear end in a top hat on the set of The Shining, but in the end we're talking about adults who are free to walk away at any time. I feel bad that she was treated that way but not badly enough that it hurts my ability to enjoy one of the best films ever made. It's not the same as stuff we've discussed in here before like animal abuse or abuse of native populations who are vulnerable to that kind of thing and don't necessarily have a choice about the abuse they take.

Would you say she was asking for it?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Overemphasizing it to the extent of making it a mark against the film is even dumber.

Thinking a movie is more important than abuse is the dumbest.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jummy posted:

Thinking a movie is more important than abuse is the dumbest.

I wish Kubrick wasn't such an rear end in a top hat, but truthfully if Duvall not being mistreated on set meant The Shining didn't exist, I'd pick The Shining.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Would you say she was asking for it?

Oh yea, she was totally asking for it and he should have slapped her around a little bit too.

Getting into an argument about whether abuse is more important than a movie is dumb, because the movie is like 40 years old now and Kubrick is long dead. The only thing that matters is what you personally find distracting enough to take away from your enjoyment of the movie. The rest of it is just pointless moralizing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Objectifying people is a very real form of abuse yet

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Spatulater bro! posted:

I wish Kubrick wasn't such an rear end in a top hat, but truthfully if Duvall not being mistreated on set meant The Shining didn't exist, I'd pick The Shining.

:stare: drat dude

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I could somehow go back and time and prevent Duvall's abuse, sure of course I'd do it but that's really not what was being discussed at all. The discussion is about sitting down to watch the movie now and feeling bad about it.

I don't watch Polanski films now because I don't want to feel like I'm contributing to his lifestyle, but once he's dead for 15+ years I'll probably feel ok about it again.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is that really such an outlandish statement? We're not talking rape or animal torture here. Kubrick was essentially an rear end in a top hat boss.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

No. I personally think Shawshank is good but overrated, but it's regularly touted as the greatest movie ever, I would be remiss to have not mentioned it.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah well I saw the actual scene and found it terrible on its face, so whatever.

Not really. You were wrong, you like horror and comics, I just wanted to clarify your incorrect interpretation so you or others can enjoy a really good story.

I was straightforward in saying their is off-screen non-supernatural rape in the first issue of the story, but since the whole concept is based around the characters overcoming trauma in their lives, it's pretty important to the character and overall story and is not handled lightly.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

ruddiger posted:

Objectifying people is a very real form of abuse yet

I also don't understand context.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is that really such an outlandish statement? We're not talking rape or animal torture here. Kubrick was essentially an rear end in a top hat boss.

Yes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think it should be mentioned that Nicholson was also a huge rear end in a top hat to Duvall, and Duvall was also hosed up on drugs too all throughout production. Kubrick also was abusive to Cruthers, making him have a breakdown.

Poor Duvall, now living as a crazy cat lady, being followed by shapeshifting Robin Williams.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Not really. You were wrong, you like horror and comics, I just wanted to clarify your incorrect interpretation so you or others can enjoy a really good story.

Yeah, I did misremember some deets, but it still made a pretty bad first impression. :shrug:

Franchescanado posted:

Poor Duvall, now living as a crazy cat lady, being followed by shapeshifting Robin Williams.

*furiously scribbles 'shapeshifting Robin Williams monster' in horror movie ideas notebook*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I did misremember some deets, but it still made a pretty bad first impression. :shrug:

I remember from the Scream Stream that sometimes you have a problem with shaking a bad first impression. Not that its easy for anyone but I do recall a few times where it seemed like you had checked out super early and there was going to be no redeeming the movie.

That's right, I'm still totally bitter about how that Lords of Salem stream went.

I love Scream Stream please keep doing it forever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, that's not even the most depressing/messed-up moment in the story, and you are right in saying that the daughter is being a bitch, because that's the point.

quote:

*furiously scribbles 'shapeshifting Robin Williams monster' in horror movie ideas notebook*

I'll just let you watch this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jummy posted:

I also don't understand context.

Clearly, it's hard to acknowledge ones own hypocrisy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as someone who's been posting in this thread since the beginning I think its safe to say this is its dumbest ever tangent

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kind of want a buddy movie about that thing and Mason Verger from Ridley Scott's Hannibal taking a road trip to New Orleans or something.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

ruddiger posted:

Especially when it's not there? Duvall has pointed out the issues she had with Kubrick over and over, Alison Brie loved that show, loved Dan Harmon, and has talked about how she enjoyed that scene. Again, try to understand what context is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like to believe that Kubrick became such an rear end in a top hat to his actors only after working with Timothy Carey.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Are you Mr. Fantastic with this level of a reach?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pull Up Thread Pull Up

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna see Bloodfeast for the first time tonight. In theaters.

Edit: and then Eraserhead after that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jummy posted:

Especially when it's not there? Duvall has pointed out the issues she had with Kubrick over and over, Alison Brie loved that show, loved Dan Harmon, and has talked about how she enjoyed that scene. Again, try to understand what context is.

My point wasn't with the show, it's with you and your use of an image of a woman stroking clay as objectification, or was that not your intent with your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Somehow I had never seen the original The Hills Have Eyes until last night. I was a tad underwhelmed. I mean it was a good movie and Michael Berryman is fun to watch, but I think seeing the remake first put a damper on it. Aja's version is inarguably more intense and disturbing, and I'd even say better directed. It's an influential horror movie to be sure, but I don't think time has been great to it.