Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Personally, I do just find it fun to rebuild catastrophes into something playable and interesting, with the tertiary side benefit that hey, theoretically someone might play this at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PMush Perfect posted:

Personally, I do just find it fun to rebuild catastrophes into something playable and interesting, with the tertiary side benefit that hey, theoretically someone might play this at some point.
Hence the 'Some people' in my post :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Once I have money again, I may seriously make noises about buying some poor goon's copy of Dead of Winter off them and taking a crack at making something playable out of it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

That's true of a lot of games, though. You could make a lot of games better by taking a sledgehammer to the rules and making them your own. Some people get a kick out of re-designing games, but I think most people just want to play the game out of the box: designing a game (and especially playtesting it) is a pretty tedious job, where you basically continually have to play a broken game until you manage to get all the issues out. I can't think of many groups that would want to go through all that effort when they can simply pick up another game that doesn't need to be fixed. Also for people that play in public group, it becomes even less viable: people want to play "Dead of Winter", not someone's homebrew, house-ruled version of "Dead of Winter".

Most of the people I've seen defending the game in another forum either:

a) Play passing cards around in order to fulfil personal objectives.
b) Consider personal objetives as some sort of bonus.
c) Play for "the story"

And then get angry when you point out that the rules suck big time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, that's the same sort of things I've heard as well. The first out is simply, flat out forbidden by the rules (although the only reason it is IN the rules is so that the game can keep its artificial level of distrust among the players). The no trading rule is actually the biggest piece of evidence that the designers tried to cobble together a frankenstein-monster of a game because they couldn't find a way to keep the distrust high if players were allowed to just give cards to each other with no requirement that you have to play them as soon as you get them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When walking through the aisles of a hobby store, I often find myself thinking "there's a good game here, if only someone fixed the rules."

MrBlarney posted:

I'm gonna back up CaptainRightful's friend and agree that In a Grove takes too long for what it is. It's a compact bluffing / deduction game that just takes too long to play a true full game. Troll, on the other hand, I will recommend. It's a good mix of bluffing, and deduction, and actually fits the compact nature that you'd expect from Oink Games. I'll recommend Kobayakawa as a good distillation of poker concepts. Folks at my workplace love Deep Sea Adventure. Yes, it is a light push-your-luck game without many serious decisions. But with the right crowd, it's a good casual game to laugh at yourself and your friends' misfortunes.

DSA is very light, very luck-based, with precisely one decision to be made in the entire game (well... one and a half) but I find it charming and inoffensive.Uh... The Insider is another one of theirs': basically, 20 questions as a social deduction game. Everyone's grilling a guy for a word but one person knows it already and is asking helpful questions. Another one that maybe should be proxied if you balk at buying a very expensive egg-timer.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
So I'm looking for a decent game to play with my set of friends who are only used to catan. I do have games like Scythe, Mage Knight and other rather diffcult games. After reading through the last 100 posts it seems like castles of burgundy and keyflower might be the right choice. Looking for something for 4 players and they do like the trading aspect of catan so something with interaction is welcome. Anything I should be looking at that might be a decent introduction in heavier games? A non-scifi theme would be cool as well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

puschel posted:

So I'm looking for a decent game to play with my set of friends who are only used to catan. I do have games like Scythe, Mage Knight and other rather diffcult games. After reading through the last 100 posts it seems like castles of burgundy and keyflower might be the right choice. Looking for something for 4 players and they do like the trading aspect of catan so something with interaction is welcome. Anything I should be looking at that might be a decent introduction in heavier games? A non-scifi theme would be cool as well.

Keyflower is a good bet. It looks like Catan, and it has interaction, and is colourful and cheery and friendly.

:unsmigghh:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

puschel posted:

I was going to suggest galaxy trucker then noticed the last line. Dominant species maybe? Key flower is probably the go though

Dancer
May 23, 2011

puschel posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig / Isle of Skye are similar-ish games with lots of interaction. I'd probably recommend Skye of the two (unfortunately that's not the one I own right now).

El Grande if you wanna try area control with them.

Steam/Via Nebula actually have less heavy rule-sets than people think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dancer posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig / Isle of Skye are similar-ish games with lots of interaction. I'd probably recommend Skye of the two (unfortunately that's not the one I own right now).
Seconding these recommendations.

They're not really heavier than Catan but they are completely different and have a lot of fun interaction thanks to the price-setting / bidding mechanic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lorini posted:

Look for an older African American lady with grey hair. I might be wrong, but I don't think there'll be a lot of women who look like that :).

Look for a 6'2" nerd in a Fenn Rau costume. Say hello and I should be able to give out a freebie alt-art x-wing card for anyone who cares.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat, definite props for actually committing to A Feast For Odin. It really is great. With all number of players, too! That reminds me I should draw up my occupation cards challenge I've been mulling over for it...

Plus Vikings are cool to learn about! :hist101:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lorini posted:

Look for an older African American lady with grey hair. I might be wrong, but I don't think there'll be a lot of women who look like that :).
I'll bring Codex, we can have a game :)

Also just received my 4 official binders for Codex, game feels more complete now!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'll be at the expo as well going for the whole thing four or five of us are going.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wouldn't mind doing a small goon meetup. I'll be there all day on Saturday so I've got more time than I know what to do with it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

I commend someone for their ambition when they go from UNO straight to Feast for Odin.

The first worker placement game I made my girlfriend play was Feast, and she was overwhelmed by the options. The upshot of this is playing other WP after that she finds them much more enjoyable

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

For some reason I decided to watch part of a playthrough of Last Night On Earth on youtube and boy does that game really illustrate beyond any doubt that "Spend your turns/actions drawing cards from this random deck hoping to find what you need to win" is abysmal game design. Dead of Winter obviously isn't nearly as bad as that game, but it's still guilty of that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scyther posted:

For some reason I decided to watch part of a playthrough of Last Night On Earth on youtube and boy does that game really illustrate beyond any doubt that "Spend your turns/actions drawing cards from this random deck hoping to find what you need to win" is abysmal game design. Dead of Winter obviously isn't nearly as bad as that game, but it's still guilty of that.
Pffft, that doesn't even hit the bottom of the barrel in bad zombie game designs. Have a look at Zombie!!!!!!, the game where you can get an item for a card that is functionally useless unless you go to a specific place and use that card. So you can draw an item that comes from a shop that's on the other side of town and not actually be able to use the item that you drew. Also the end-game for Zombies!!! is munchkin-level bullshit. It's so bad.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

dropkickpikachu posted:

This has probably been covered in the not too distant past itt, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good, concise video tutorial for Forbidden Stars? My buddy and I have had it sitting on the shelf forever intimidating us, and the first time we tried to get a game going it was a real slog of trying to figure out the flow of play and whether we were doing things right or not. Hell, FFG's terrible "learn to play" and "rules reference" two-book thing is so loving bad that it made even Rodney Smith give up on making a tutorial video.

The how to play + reference system is great. Why don't you like it?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Heads up: If you use the code WELCOME you can get 5 bucks off a $25+ order on Funagain Games. They are also having a sale right now. I didn't see anything I needed other than Not Alone, so I couldn't take advantage of it haha. They have 7 dollar flat shipping with free shipping at 100.

EDIT:

Mojo Jojo posted:

The how to play + reference system is great. Why don't you like it?

I agree with him. The idea of a quick start is great. The issue is that if you are going that route, you should print the comprehensive rules in the second book. With the current system, if you have a question, you are thumbing through two different books, and it may not even be answered because of the way the information is partitioned.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 4, 2017

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Pffft, that doesn't even hit the bottom of the barrel in bad zombie game designs. Have a look at Zombie!!!!!!, the game where you can get an item for a card that is functionally useless unless you go to a specific place and use that card. So you can draw an item that comes from a shop that's on the other side of town and not actually be able to use the item that you drew. Also the end-game for Zombies!!! is munchkin-level bullshit. It's so bad.

Trust me, I could never forget about Zombies!!!. It's one of those games where it makes my blood boil whenever someone recommends it to an unsuspected stranger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I was given Zombies!!! as a gift by a well-meaning friend. It can probably work with some decent house rules but I'm yet to find them.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 4, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

The first worker placement game I made my girlfriend play was Feast, and she was overwhelmed by the options. The upshot of this is playing other WP after that she finds them much more enjoyable

Haha I did the same thing to my partner!

...then she beat me by 5 points and now (jokingly) refuses to play again so she can continue her claim at only winning.

She has pretty much refused to play Colonists though, since she saw me sit and play it for 5 hours very intensely. Solo. :mmmhmm:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dancer posted:

El Grande if you wanna try area control with them.

Steam/Via Nebula actually have less heavy rule-sets than people think.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seconding these recommendations.

They're not really heavier than Catan but they are completely different and have a lot of fun interaction thanks to the price-setting / bidding mechanic.

Another great thing about Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Isle of Skye is players end up with fascinating player boards, even if they lose. So these two games are still memorable, even for the people who get crushed.

If you like spatial games, arranging rooms in Castles of Mad King Ludwig becomes much more important with moats from the expansion. Certain objectives in Isle of Skye require more spatial thinking than other objectives, as well.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I really cannot stress how comfy Ludwig is. Seeing the castle come together feels really good and the way that tiles are semi-auctioned off is really neat. It's one of me and my girlfriend's favourite games.

I prefer it over the more abstract Suburbia but seeing a city come together is pretty nice too.

If I had to pick a main complaint though, it's that the scoring is mondo-point salad (especially in Suburbia) so things can get silly very quickly.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My complaint with Castles is actually the bonus objectives. It's great when a player can snap 9 points off a single objective, but you can only snap 2 because the tiles popped up favorably for your opponent. There's no counterplay because you can't fight hidden information.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
A couple of years ago i had to pick between buying Suburbia and Mad King Ludwig. I went for Surburbia and while i feel it is the better game in and of itself, i feel i should have gone MKL as coaxing people into building wacky castles with colourful varied tiles is easier than convincing them to play a hex based city builder with a pastel pallette.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Shadow225 posted:

My complaint with Castles is actually the bonus objectives. It's great when a player can snap 9 points off a single objective, but you can only snap 2 because the tiles popped up favorably for your opponent. There's no counterplay because you can't fight hidden information.

The draw 2 keep 1 helps with this but I have definitely lost due to them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a new game being demonstrated at Origins called Palaces of Mad King Ludwig. Instead of building individual castles everyone is building off a single castle. Don't know any more than that but I'll check it out on the strength of Castles.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fat Turkey posted:

A couple of years ago i had to pick between buying Suburbia and Mad King Ludwig. I went for Surburbia and while i feel it is the better game in and of itself, i feel i should have gone MKL as coaxing people into building wacky castles with colourful varied tiles is easier than convincing them to play a hex based city builder with a pastel pallette.

I have always dreamed of a hyper-deluxe edition of suburbia that had little miniatures of the buildings your were constructing on them, and were designed in a way to connect to every other tile. And then I realised I was just re-designed Sim City. Still, a man can dream.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

This is exactly me. I got Suburbia because it was the better 2p game, which may be true, but while my wife really liked it, it flopped so hard for me. It's fiddly, more abstract than you'd think, and almost entirely decided by a couple of tiles and hidden objectives.

I'll say the game is good for looking back at your city at the end and going, "Heh, those housing projects probably didn't love being next to the freeway and hog-rendering plant, but what was I going to do? Put that poo poo next to my luxury housing?" So it's real solid for having players come around organically to some problems inherent in city planning and urbanization.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone played bloc by bloc?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Weird Mage Knight questions from our last game. Still very sketchy on co-op city assaults and the order of events.

- So immediately after players agree to do a city assault, you divide the enemy tokens up between players randomly. Then, player order continues as normal (so dummy player can go in-between), so the player whose turn it was immediately moves to the city and assaults it, and then the other players joining must do the same on their next turn.

- Every player involved in the assault then loses their next turn, so for example the dummy player may get to go twice immediately after the battle is resolved.

- If the city taken was the final city in a co-op conquest campaign, since the last turn is passed then basically that's immediately the end of the game.

- If players divided the number of enemies evenly (thus each players has an even number of tokens on it when conquered), then the city goes to the person who initially declared the assault and attacked first?

Is that all correct?

Other stuff:

- So normally you can move over a player freely, but if they are in a keep they own then you cannot. How does that apply in co-op though, same thing? Since it is possible for a friendly player to enter your keep and buy stuff obviously, but not if you are already on that hex. I would think they could move over you as normal (since it is a friendly fort) but maybe not?

- The Green city seemed super easy for us last game, I imagine we probably just got an easy spread of enemies or something? The movement on the tile is obviously pretty bad (especially at night), but no Dragons on the title and the poison just didn't threaten us at all. Not sure how the token color distribution compares to other cities.

- Are there any official rules for 'extended' games like if we are crazy people and want to play a 2 player game with 8 rounds and more tiles? How about with the expansion (which I've ordered and will have by the weekend)?

- Any opinions on the advanced deck building rules like drafting and such? Any of these fun/good for co-op or more for competitive stuff?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Might be a better question to address to the dev thread but I think this thread gets quite a bit more traffic and I'd like more opinions. When it comes to player combat, what methods do you enjoy for combat resolution and what ones to you dislike? Why?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Might be a better question to address to the dev thread but I think this thread gets quite a bit more traffic and I'd like more opinions. When it comes to player combat, what methods do you enjoy for combat resolution and what ones to you dislike? Why?

I like when I roll some dice and it tells me if I win or not.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Dislike:
- Simple X+ to hit systems. They are universally bullshit and lazy. They are incredibly random and winning combat is only ever about being lucky, no matter if you hit on a 4+ and your opponent hits on a 5+.
- Multiple round systems: this is with a caveat that usually I only mind them if they use bullshit X+ to hit systems and the game turns in several turns of people rolling blanks because the sides are even and no one wants to retreat.

Like:
-CRTs. Mostly if they have lots of modifiers/column shifts.
-Opposed rolls with lots of modifiers/lookups on CRTs. Unconditional Surrender does this well.
-Systems in which you total the combat factors of your dudes and the dice roll decides what percentage of those hits go through (Empire of the Sun et all).

All the likes provide un-sureness of results while still taking into consideration relative strengths/modifiers/etc.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So Agricola or Caverna. Thoughts?

I picked up the rules easy enough from a few hours of watching YouTube albeit strategies will be learnt from actual playing. Caverna looks a bit more streamlined and same start point compared to Agricolas randomness. Seems Agricola could lead to better replay value? Or am I wrong ahh. I don't really want to buy both as the overall theme and gameplay is similar.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tai posted:

So Agricola or Caverna. Thoughts?

I picked up the rules easy enough from a few hours of watching YouTube albeit strategies will be learnt from actual playing. Caverna looks a bit more streamlined and same start point compared to Agricolas randomness. Seems Agricola could lead to better replay value? Or am I wrong ahh. I don't really want to buy both as the overall theme and gameplay is similar.

Pretty much nailed it. Caverna has a lot more options and things to do while also being a lot less punishing, but every game is the same. Agricola is brutal on players but every game is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Agricola is a much better game if you like making tough decisions.