Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Are you loving kidding me? This is being streamed on Wizards' Twitch channel and they are bringing known cheaters back into the fold? A true gently caress you to anyone who invests time and money in competitive magic.

As far as I know, he's not his girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Are you loving kidding me? This is being streamed on Wizards' Twitch channel and they are bringing known cheaters back into the fold? A true gently caress you to anyone who invests time and money in competitive magic.

Magic Twitch:CNN
Bertoncini:Trump

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

are you suggesting that his girlfriend is not actually playing magic but he secretly is instead because lmao

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a players girlfriend, playing magic????? ha ha ha, nice troll but we all know that's impossible!!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

sit on my Facebook posted:

For your consideration;

Karate Thop
4 Shielded Aether Thief
4 Whirler Virtuoso
3 Pia Nalaar
3 Maverick Thopterist

4 Aethersphere Harvester

2 Decoction Module
2 Era of Innovation
1 Fabrication Module
1 Saheeli Rai

4 Harnassed Lightning
4 Shock
2 Aether Meltdown

3 Glimmer of Genius

4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Aether Hub
5 Island
6 Mountain

If you know anything about me you know I really like making lots of Thopter tokens. This is very first-drafty but it's a lot of fun. Sideboard would be a few counterspells, a few burn spells, another Saheeli or two, and maybe some Implements of Combustion or Consulate Turrets depending on which I decide is better against Copy Cat Combo. Suggestions are welcome.

My kingdom for a Hangarback Walker....

So as I mentioned running this before, I've been using the sideboard of:
3 Consulate Turret
2 Crackdown Construct
3 Metallic Rebuke
3 Built to Smash
2 Saheeli Rai
2 Collective Defiance

Mostly because I wanted to jam in the Construct combo at least once, but the Turrets worked fine, the CoDef were alright, the Rebukes were great, and I wasnt sure when to bring in more Saheelis.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

a players girlfriend????? ha ha ha, nice troll but we all know that's impossible!!

FTFY

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

I am watching VSL for the first time this season now and who is Rachel Agnes and is this a name I should know

someone who needs to be paired up with a commentator much stronger than Randy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

are you suggesting that his girlfriend is not actually playing magic but he secretly is instead because lmao

I'm suggesting that they shouldn't put him or anyone associated with him on the Magic Twitch channel.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm not really interested in looking at the competitive rules but I really doubt sleeping with someone who was banned is itself a bannable offense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

uPen posted:

I'm not really interested in looking at the competitive rules but I really doubt sleeping with someone who was banned is itself a bannable offense.

Not DCI banned but it's not who should be representing on the game on the official Wizards twitch channel. Her only claim to fame is "Known cheater's girlfriend."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Not knowing who she was she played well (won her pool) and was one of the more entertaining commentators for the following matches.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Not DCI banned but it's not who should be representing on the game on the official Wizards twitch channel. Her only claim to fame is "Known cheater's girlfriend."

no? when i googled her the info was about her as a vintage player and streamer. nice job thinking of her as someones girlfriend tho.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
loving girl power.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I'm suggesting that they shouldn't put him or anyone associated with him on the Magic Twitch channel.

Then they should remove you... because you're his side bitch!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
personally, the concept of women existing isn't upsetting to me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Let's not worry about who players spend their personal time with. Her being on a wotc stream doesn't hurt wotc brand image because it doesn't appear she is a cheater.

And if we had to get rid of anyone associated with him from stream so many other pros would have to go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

no? when i googled her the info was about her as a vintage player and streamer. nice job thinking of her as someones girlfriend tho.

I had no idea who she was before she was brought up in this thread... If she has her own profile as a streamer than I'm wrong and there is a legitimate reason for her to be on there. Bertincini is still scum though. The SCG tour should ban him and Wizards should ban him from high profile events when he comes back.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 18, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It's good that he isn't in this high profile event then

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So what % of the field is going to be copy cat this weekend?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
100% I hope

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Molybdenum posted:

100% I hope

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

100% I hope

I understand wanting to ban combo from every format but give it a week at least.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I just want to see cats slamming into each other, forever

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Liliana tilted her head, chiseling Gideon with an extremely-bored-with-your-naivete look.

quote:

Saheeli blinked, stunned wordless by the even greater magnitude of this theory-badness.

we've had several articles with adequate writing, so I guess it's about time for a return to form

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Elyv posted:

we've had several articles with adequate writing, so I guess it's about time for a return to form

Elyv blinked, stunned wordless by the even greater magnitude of this writing-badness, tilting her head and chiseling Wizards with an extremely-bored-with-your-fiction look.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I've been away from Standard, I know how Copycat is supposed to work but does the deck have any other characteristics? I guess it will be looking to set up the combo with open blue and a counter card in hand to prevent instant removal on either the Felidar or the 'walker? So it's not realistically winning before T6 or so right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I've been away from Standard, I know how Copycat is supposed to work but does the deck have any other characteristics? I guess it will be looking to set up the combo with open blue and a counter card in hand to prevent instant removal on either the Felidar or the 'walker? So it's not realistically winning before T6 or so right?

It's not really that easy to just "go for it" on T6 because you don't have the flash element of Twin. It's harder to keep up mana for protection.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe worth noting, that unlike Twin, you're not getting two for oned if you decide to go for the kill at the wrong time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Maybe worth noting, that unlike Twin, you're not getting two for oned if you decide to go for the kill at the wrong time.

Also both parts of the combo work very, very well with EtB effects

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Also worth nothing that the amount of 187s you can value blink if you are missing either piece is also significantly higher.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've seen 3 versions of the deck thus far. One is a control shell, plenty of removal, actual counterspells, run a bunch of anticipates and glimmer of genius to try and find your combo, some versions of this also run Chandra (Flamecaller or Torch). You also run 4x Torrential Gearhulk. 2nd version was a Jeskai midrange-y deck that packed the combo as an alternate win con. Had spell quellers, Gideon, Chandard (Torch, and usually in SB), red removal, put pressure on and had a good "oops I win' button if the game stalled out. 3rd version I saw was primarily Green/White/Red Superfriends deck played heart of kiran, and cast the saheeli off Oath of NIssa and Aether Hub. The Cat's ability to reset your planeswalkers is pretty useful in that deck.

The first version seemed pretty much the best. The second version felt like somebody shoving it into blue/white flash. The third version is intriguing and might be a deck with some tuning.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
If only Wizards had printed some kind of cheap, colorless card that turned off ETB effects. As it stands, we're likely to see yet another banning, because the only halfway decent answers are Authority of the Consuls and maybe the single Fog effect we have in standard.

I guess if the cat was 2 cmc, then push would also be a more viable option.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Veyrall posted:

If only Wizards had printed some kind of cheap, colorless card that turned off ETB effects. As it stands, we're likely to see yet another banning, because the only halfway decent answers are Authority of the Consuls and maybe the single Fog effect we have in standard.

Pithing Needle, also good

They said they'll start printing answers soon though, hope that's true and not something that will take years to realize

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

anglachel posted:

I've seen 3 versions of the deck thus far. One is a control shell, plenty of removal, actual counterspells, run a bunch of anticipates and glimmer of genius to try and find your combo, some versions of this also run Chandra (Flamecaller or Torch). You also run 4x Torrential Gearhulk. 2nd version was a Jeskai midrange-y deck that packed the combo as an alternate win con. Had spell quellers, Gideon, Chandard (Torch, and usually in SB), red removal, put pressure on and had a good "oops I win' button if the game stalled out. 3rd version I saw was primarily Green/White/Red Superfriends deck played heart of kiran, and cast the saheeli off Oath of NIssa and Aether Hub. The Cat's ability to reset your planeswalkers is pretty useful in that deck.

The first version seemed pretty much the best. The second version felt like somebody shoving it into blue/white flash. The third version is intriguing and might be a deck with some tuning.

Agree, the Control shell is the deck that you want to be playing if you ignore the combo. So it's also the best with the combo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

little munchkin posted:

personally, the concept of women existing isn't upsetting to me

hosed up, if true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Pithing Needle, also good

They said they'll start printing answers soon though, hope that's true and not something that will take years to realize

You won't see changes until a year/year and a half away at the least, the next couple sets are already decided.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Veyrall posted:

If only Wizards had printed some kind of cheap, colorless card that turned off ETB effects.

make torpor orb evergreen i m o

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

make torpor orb evergreen i m o

Keyword: No Fun Allowed

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

You won't see changes until a year/year and a half away at the least, the next couple sets are already decided.

I always wonder a little, when they day things like that do they mean "this stuff is coming out soon" or "we realized last week, we might fix it by 2020"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Death Bot posted:

I always wonder a little, when they day things like that do they mean "this stuff is coming out soon" or "we realized last week, we might fix it by 2020"

They haven't been all that forward with what this actually means. I imagine they don't want to say which set this will all be fixed in because that might mean that could damage the sales of the sets that don't have this fix in. If they can't fix a set 1 year out they are loving incompetent assclowns.

• Locked thread