Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mainstream reviews for F&B are good on the whole, which is confusing. GQ is the only place I can find giving it serious criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

I'll buy it, hate it, bitch about it here.

I, too, live by the ancient goon code of posting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I haven't even reread Dance. I've read all the other books at least twice, even Feast.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kcroy posted:

You know - I predicted a ways back that no matter how little of the book was done, his publishers would drop Winds before the show finale. But now that that date is creeping up - I'm not so sure. The finale will be in May 2019. They need at least some time to proof / ship the book. So if I were the publisher, and I was going to knowingly publish an unfinished piece of poo poo, I'd do something like:

Nov1: First draft delivered to publisher
Jan 1: Announce presales
March 1: Book in stores
April 1: Season premier
May 15: Season Finale

That lets you build on the TV hype and get a full 3+ months of presales before season starts, plus 6 weeks of hard hitting advertising while show is going on.

Clearly that isn't going to happen. I'm going to say it is a minimum of 4 months from announcement to book release. That is where you break down, realize poo poo isn't happening. you scramble for 1 month to get it in shape - announce, and send to printers. I'm pretty sure you have a 2-3 month turn around on stuff like that. But maybe it is different now. Similarly, hitting a "reset" date on walmart was also critical ( you needed to make sure you got on shelves by a certain date ). But that has probably changed too. Anyone have information on modern publishing timelines?

next "ok" schedule:

Feb 1: Book release date announced
April 1: Book in stores
April 1: Season premier
May 15: Season Finale

"we're not happy with it" schedule

March 1: Book announced
April 1: Season Starts
May 15: season Finale - book in stores soon, order now!

gently caress it who cares schedule:

April 1: season starts. You announce book ready, July date, start preorder process.
July: Delay until and then have it in stores Dec 1 2020.

I've only been following this thread for three years (Oh god) but every year this post gets made. I cannot imagine having been dealing with this since even the beginning of the show, let alone longer.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Even if they come out tomorrow who would read it?

I don’t fancy reading 10 chapters of Stannis going nowhere, knowing full well that he will in fact go nowhere as he died on TV over two seasons ago. Same with Dany’s brother and the stone griffin man.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to all of you who bought the book and encouraged him! Can’t wait to see the next non-Dunk & Egg spin-off!
https://twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1068995697272397824

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe he thinks hes running out of money? How long does HBO money last when you eat at TGIFridays 3 times a day?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maybe he thinks hes running out of money? How long does HBO money last when you eat at TGIFridays 3 times a day?

geez he probably gets like 3 mojitos too :ohdear:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Read Fire and Blood, still can't believe GRRM named one of his Targaryen kings Aenys, and that neither he nor anyone involved realized how loving stupid reading page after page about King Anus is.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ccs posted:

Mainstream reviews for F&B are good on the whole, which is confusing. GQ is the only place I can find giving it serious criticism.

Ready Player One was universally praised by mainstream book critics

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

they could not be reached for comment

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the woeful frolics of king anus and kermit the green

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's... not good but it's still very readable, as fake histories come. Some chapters are full of nuncle and groat and words are wind and others aren't, which make me suspect they were written before the fourth book debacle.

The Free Cities are more present than in the main series, and at some point they do a coalition in a conflict, so I was going to make a joke about prequels and war with the trade federation, but the more I think of it the less of a joke it seems. GRRM feels very like late-era Lucas, completely editor-proof and free to indulge his worst tendencies and fill the page/screen with billions of people and wikifulls of nerd trivia and kitsch grimdark. Or course Lucas's whole work has a kind of childlike sexlessness while the GRRM is a dirty old man so the end results are very different on that axis but if you look past that the parallels are here.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

precision posted:

Redshirts won a Hugo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Woodpile posted:

Redshirts won a Hugo.

“Blood of the Dragon”: Hugo Award, 1997 Novella

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

In it's day, at least. People sobered up realized the shell game Cline was playing in time, and Armada being a massive piece of garbage that everyone instantly recognized as a piece of garbage helped wake people up to that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Why would you read that book when you can watch the new series of adapted for TV GRRM, right now.

That's right.

Nightflyers, now on SyFy!

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

jit bull transpile posted:

I can't believe you people actually bought fire and blood. What were you expecting?

yeah but look at all the bad posts i get to make about it you idiot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Trudis posted:

Read Fire and Blood, still can't believe GRRM named one of his Targaryen kings Aenys, and that neither he nor anyone involved either realized how loving stupid reading page after page about King Anus is.

Aenys has been a thing since day one tbf

e: o you said still lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Heath Ledgers name in Brokeback Mountain is "Ennis"

So I mean, there's literary precedent I guess

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Marijuana posted:

yeah but look at all the bad posts i get to make about it you idiot

😭

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You guys are like.... actually, seriously disappointed with Fire & Blood? I mean what the christ were you even expecting? This is GRRM writing a "fake history" in the voice of "Archmaester Gyldayn" or whatever the gently caress... And the subject is going over the entire arc of the Tagaryen Kings starting from the beginning. And the Targaryens are GRRM's admitted absolute favorite "family" in the series. Which I always thought seemed so loving absurd, because he just makes them so much VASTLY cooler and more "badass" than all the other characters. The Targaryens are like, universally intensely preternaturally beautiful, and some of have psychic/magic skills, oh and they also have dragons and used them as mounts in war in super-cool ways, and they're also the dynasty of true kings and the only remaining family from the ASoIaF version of Atlantis... So yeah I guess the author was pretty objective there about his favorite family of characters and not trying to make them TOO badass or cool in comparison to the other families uh huh yeah

So reading a GRRM pseudo-history book entirely about the Targaryens where you know it's going to be GRRM going into extreme detail about their respective reigns and embellishing on what's already there and basically discussing and describing endless beautiful magical dragon-riding badass Targaryens and.... You actually DON'T expect a poorly edited and self-indulgent mess?

I really refuse to believe any regular reader of this thread bought Fire and Blood without knowing EXACTLY what it was beforehand, I mean, we all knew what it was going to be. Being like a third of the way through the book, I can honestly say that it is EXACTLY what I was expecting it to be, nothing more and nothing less. I cannot imagine what sort of book you guys were expecting to get - did you think this was going to actually have narrative structure and tell some kind of coherent story? :laugh: Haven't you read the Silmarillion I mean GRRM is allowed to do stuff like this 'cos he's the new Tolkien rite ??

edit: But really I actually kinda love the Silmarillion despite its flaws and it's a hundred times better than GRRM's absurd 'history'... Tolkien, unlike GRRM, actually fills in the intensely long history and mythology of his world in detailed, dense, layered prose that's actually quite beautiful. And it was informed by a great deal of knowledge Tolkien had about Norse and Celtic and Germanic legends and myths and stories and who knows what other influences, but he truly wove them all into something both powerful and beautiful and original.

GRRM, on the other hand, likes writing about all the horrific things 'Maegor the Cruel' inflicts on his six wives in an effort for a male heir, separating and conflicting with the Church in Westeros as a result. That's like, totally original and not just a retelling of a really well-known King who actually lived :rolleyes:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 4, 2018

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
how are you going to praise tolkein for having source material to base his work on then poo poo on the grrm for having source material to base his work on

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

violent sex idiot posted:

how are you going to praise tolkein for having source material to base his work on then poo poo on the grrm for having source material to base his work on

because tolkien truly immersed himself in the source material and spent a long time working with the languages (and creating his own languages based on them) which were intertwined with the mythology. He adapted his source material with grace and delicacy, and it was also an effort to preserve the spirit of those norse and celtic myths, because even in the early twentieth century they were dying out and not widely known at all - thanks to Tolkien they live on in some form, at least. you read the silmarillion and there is so much ambition and grandiose density to the stories.

Whereas GRRM just taking the story of Henry VIII and literally just slapping it onto one of his characters (while adding more violence and rapey stuff of course) strikes me as crude, graceless, lazy, and indulgent

edit: dont get me wrong I really like GRRM but in the same way that I like, say, the occasional Twinky or caramel swirl frappucino. im incredibly embarrassed on the rare occasions when I indulge myself on them, but I still like it

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think you needed to have high expectations to criticize something. I have little interest in the book so I didn't buy it but I'm happy to hear silly excerpts.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's a difference between synthesizing source material to make something that feels genuine and just doing a find-replace on Henry the Eighth to come up with a 'totally original character'.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

i'm convinced grrm didn't write a word of fire and blood. it was all the "helpers"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marijuana posted:

i'm convinced grrm didn't write a word of fire and blood. it was all the "helpers"

If he was willing to have people ghost write ASoIaF stuff then surely we'd have new books by now?

I assume he glued together a bunch of stuff he had notes on while he was creating the universe.

Because Tolkein didn't publish it.

nine-gear crow posted:

In it's day, at least. People sobered up realized the shell game Cline was playing in time, and Armada being a massive piece of garbage that everyone instantly recognized as a piece of garbage helped wake people up to that.

How so? Its exactly the same poo poo as ready player one?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm p sure Linda and Elio helped with a lot of Fire and Blood. Didn't they also do World of Ice and Fire or w/e?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Like I said, people realized it was Ready Player One, Again, only somehow even shittier and they suddenly weren’t keen on it the second time around, and finding out your new hot thang whiz kid idol is literally a one-trick pony is very interest deflating.

The ultimate barometer of how no one actually liked Armada came from the 372 Pages We’ll Never Get Back podcast. RP1 had tons of fan fiction written about it, allowing the hosts to scour FF.net and AO3 for stuff to try and troll one another to see if they could discern actual Cline prose from fanfic. When it came to Armada, there was nothing there. No one wanted to write fan fiction about Armada by Ernest Cline, so to keep the segment going they actually had to crowdsource fanfic from their audience.

I actually got my submission read on air and it go sniffed out as fanfic because it was actually better written and more media conscious than Cline’s actual prose.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

hobbesmaster posted:

For me, it was that RPO seemed to at least be ripping off a couple of different stories with pop culture slathered on top, whereas Armada was literally just the plot of The Last Starfighter, without even bothering to file off the serial numbers, and the lampshading of constantly referencing "This is just like The Last Starfighter!" was supposed to make up for it somehow?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kaworu dogg I love you but you put more effort into that post than grrm did to the book itself

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

precision posted:

Kaworu dogg I love you but you put more effort into that post than grrm did to the book itself

Kaworus really long posts are part of their charm

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always set out to finish their posts, but it just never seems to happen. My eyes glaze over, I just start scanning, and by the end I know a ton about some random historical event, but struggle to remember how that happened when the post began with a lighthearted joke about James from Twin Peak's hairline.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I actually got my submission read on air and it go sniffed out as fanfic because it was actually better written and more media conscious than Cline’s actual prose.

wut

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A podcast you need to listen to http://372pages.com

They did Kline’s books, an episode on the eye of argon (really didn’t think that was fair) and are now on the tekwars books that Shatner totally actually wrote.

The weird thing about RP1 is that people have it really good reviews despite it being trash.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

A podcast you need to listen to http://372pages.com

They did Kline’s books, an episode on the eye of argon (really didn’t think that was fair) and are now on the tekwars books that Shatner totally actually wrote.

The weird thing about RP1 is that people have it really good reviews despite it being trash.

great podcast waaaay better than reading the book

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kaworu is mai waifu

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I read Leviathan Wakes and was distinctly unimpressed with pretty much everything except the setting which I thought was a good setup.

Are there later books different? It almost hit a lot of good points for me but ended up letting me down so if the writing improved I might help reading.

You guys have good taste so tell me what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

I read Leviathan Wakes and was distinctly unimpressed with pretty much everything except the setting which I thought was a good setup.

Are there later books different? It almost hit a lot of good points for me but ended up letting me down so if the writing improved I might help reading.

You guys have good taste so tell me what to do.

If you didn't enjoy the noir murder mystery, but in space, you're not gonna enjoy the rest of the series. The authors start piling on more and more POV characters and they push the story into straight-up space opera rather than sci-fi with some fantastical elements (e: much like a certain series we all love to hate :thunk:).