Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That Monero cryptocurrency AMD want people to mine looks like the jankiest, sketchiest one I've seen in a while. But maybe a more "professional" CPU-mineable one will come along if CPU mining catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ufarn posted:

That Monero cryptocurrency AMD want people to mine looks like the jankiest, sketchiest one I've seen in a while. But maybe a more "professional" CPU-mineable one will come along if CPU mining catches on.

Monero is also known as "Criminal Coin" for a reason y'know.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

redeyes posted:

Well that was a great deal for that card. I have a RX480 that ran $280 right after they came out. Didn't notice the riser though. Gah.

I bought the powercolor 470 4GB at launch for $180 from Newegg. In retrospect that was a great move, but for some reason it has a 6 pointed star of david on the back instead of the 5-pointed one on that 580.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Naffer posted:

I bought the powercolor 470 4GB at launch for $180 from Newegg. In retrospect that was a great move, but for some reason it has a 6 pointed star of david on the back instead of the 5-pointed one on that 580.

The early ones had that until it was pointed out that associating Judaism with the term "Red Devil" might not be the greatest of ideas.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Entropy238 posted:

Might be a stupid question, but are gaming laptops slightly more competitive now in terms of pricing thanks to Bitcoinmania? I assume they can’t be used to mine anywhere near to the same extent because they have to be bought along with everything else.

Gaming laptops are still having a supply problem because of RAM, but otherwise they are pretty competitive. There are Power Spec i7 7700s with 1070s (which game slightly BETTER than desktop 1070s if the thermals are within range) for $1,200. http://www.microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

or a 17" ROG with a GSync Screen for $1349 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00997&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_Strix_GL702VS-AH73_17.3%22-_-1TS-001A-00997-_-Product

These haven't had price spikes like desktop cards but RAM availability is keeping them from building up a huge inventory.

These are pretty good, I have a laptop with a 1060 and though it thermal throttles a lot quicker it otherwise plays fine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Entropy238 posted:

Might be a stupid question, but are gaming laptops slightly more competitive now in terms of pricing thanks to Bitcoinmania? I assume they can’t be used to mine anywhere near to the same extent because they have to be bought along with everything else.

Octoberish of last year I did that math. Even factoring in the added cost of a laptop form factor, there was no way that I could build a desktop with an i7-7700, 32 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD, and a 1060, or thereabouts equivalent for less than the $1000 that I paid for my Dell 7577 after extreme couponing, just because of how hosed RAM and GPU prices have been.

I am overall very pleased with the laptop, particularly since the cooling on the laptop is beefier than its outward appearance would belie, and consistently allows it to clock up higher than other Max-Q parts on the market.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 4, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

People finally figured out that it might be a bad idea to push a cryptographically-signed mycrimes.txt to anyone who wants to use the network, so Zcash and Monero are trying to be fully anonymous instead of just pseudonymous. Which is really no different than cash when you get down to it - but I suppose if you proposed cash today it would sound equally sketchy. "It's like a credit card transaction, but using these untraceable physical tokens and leaving no record..."

AFAIK it's simply a design decision to try and keep CPUs being the dominant force on Monero, the logic being that even GPU mining is getting pretty centralized these days. When difficulty increases and profits drop, centralized mining ops with optimized rigs are still a lot more efficient than some nerd cobbling together rigs in his garage, and on top of that a lot of the Chinese miners get super-cheap electricity from state-sponsored hydro plants and/or bribing corrupt local officials to give it to them for free. Surely this time will be different and if this takes off the Chinese will be unable to figure out how to build a server rack for CPUs...

(it's not even working that well since Vega does really well on it, and low-end GPUs are pretty efficient too)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 4, 2018

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
As an AMD shareholder I strongly support AMD reaming crypto miners for all they've got by jacking up msrp

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Keep going down this road and we will all be using Apple poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apple discontinued their server lineup like a decade ago though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Mac mini server son

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if you're not rackmounting trashcan mac pros

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacpro.html

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

repiv posted:

lol if you're not rackmounting trashcan mac pros

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacpro.html

This but arranged so that you can have a door open and they all spill out onto the floor and roll around.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pay for all that "design" and put it where you cant see it. I especially like the part where is costs over $800

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I went from having a 1070, ordered a 1080ti from Amazon, got scammed just after the 1070 sold.

Then waited a week, then got itchy and ordered a pny blower 1080ti from Newegg Canada, then found a 1080ti strix ROG on kijiji, couldn't get ahold of the guy then bid on a hybrid 1080ti evga unit, then the guy got back to me so I picked that up tonight. Now I have to cancel Newegg order before they ship hopefully, and that I don't win that bid on the evga unit. Somehow I think I'll end up with 3 units.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

jonathan posted:

So I went from having a 1070, ordered a 1080ti from Amazon, got scammed just after the 1070 sold.

Then waited a week, then got itchy and ordered a pny blower 1080ti from Newegg Canada, then found a 1080ti strix ROG on kijiji, couldn't get ahold of the guy then bid on a hybrid 1080ti evga unit, then the guy got back to me so I picked that up tonight. Now I have to cancel Newegg order before they ship hopefully, and that I don't win that bid on the evga unit. Somehow I think I'll end up with 3 units.

But just think of all the money you could make doing crypto mining with three 1080tis! Clearly getting all three would be a blessing in disguise! :lol:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

I kinda did the opposite, I sold my 1080ti I was gaming on (and two 1070's I was mining with) and kept just my Zotac 1070ti Mini so I won't be as exposed when everything goes to poo poo in the next few months.

The Zotac 1070ti Mini is a weird one... like every Zotac Mini it has a lot of coil whine because the power delivery is very skimpy, and it runs hot... if you put the thermal limit to the max 92c it'll happily hit it in an open air case... on the other hand, I juiced it with +225 on the core overclock and it's perfectly stable... the boost is now 1908 MHz. That's pretty good right? I guess it has to do with NVidia enforcing a limit on aftermarket pre-clocks so they leave a lot of speed on the table.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
No idea how hot Zotac Minis get, but that seems really bad. Average Pascals do 2100, mine (also a Zotac but with a custom cooler) does 2050 and only gets into the 1800 range when it starts getting clogged with dust and temperatures start climbing. If it's anything like my 1080 Amp Extreme you can get much better temperatures along with much quieter fans by replacing the fans with some conventional 120mm ones, depending on how much effort you want to put into it,

The reason all of the Pascals do 2100 is Nvidia enforcing bios signing though. The cards monitor current drawn and if it's too high they crash, you need a really special chip that draws really low to get into the 2200 range like reviewers with their hand picked cards.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I don't need or want 3. If I end up getting stuck with them I'll flip them on eBay asap I guess. Probably keep the water cooled one.

Edit: I do plan to sli them once 1080p on a 1080ti starts to be too slow.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SLI is almost always a terrible idea these days. What the gently caress are you playing that you have performance concerns at 1080p with a 1080ti?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Enos Cabell posted:

SLI is almost always a terrible idea these days. What the gently caress are you playing that you have performance concerns at 1080p with a 1080ti?

Not now. But in 2 years ? Who knows. I mostly play racing sims in VR. The 1070 was barely cutting it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jonathan posted:

Not now. But in 2 years ? Who knows. I mostly play racing sims in VR. The 1070 was barely cutting it.

Ok, but in 2 years it will still make way more sense to buy whatever the current good card is rather than spending money on a second 3 year old card. Especially in VR, VR isn't compatible with SLI

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, SLI suuuuper doesn't work in anything VR except that nvidia tech demo :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who has had SLI/CROSSFIRE for a number of years upto and including the 970s -- I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST SLI -- these days. Even back when the 970 was the new hotness it was becoming more of a chore to get SLI working properly with new games, if not outright impossible because devs straight up weren't supporting it anymore. I can only imagine it's gotten a LOT worse now.

If money is no object, get the top end card for current generation, update to latest and greatest when performance suffers or you increase your resolution.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I was also pro-SLI. Single cards are so much better than they used to be and it is just plain better than 2 cards, even when all things are optimal.

I do wonder if gsync alleviates some of the issues, but I dont wonder enough to actually try SLI again. Support for SLI seems to be on a downward trend too, which is critical.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

1gnoirents posted:

I do wonder if gsync alleviates some of the issues, but I dont wonder enough to actually try SLI again. Support for SLI seems to be on a downward trend too, which is critical.

The biggest problem now is games that simply don't support SLI at all, so there's just nothing you can do about it. GSync can help a little with microstutter, but it's still not as nice as a single card.

So, yeah, put me down for a Titan A as long as it's under $1200 or so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There will someday be a card named the Titan GTX.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Modern rendering techniques are handled poorly by SLI, and so barely anyone is even attempting to support it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Assuming mGPU is ever actually supported, SLI wouldn't be used in that case would it?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Stanley Pain posted:

As someone who has had SLI/CROSSFIRE for a number of years upto and including the 970s -- I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST SLI -- these days. Even back when the 970 was the new hotness it was becoming more of a chore to get SLI working properly with new games, if not outright impossible because devs straight up weren't supporting it anymore. I can only imagine it's gotten a LOT worse now.

If money is no object, get the top end card for current generation, update to latest and greatest when performance suffers or you increase your resolution.

Agree with this. I remember having 2 Radeon 5770s, the performance was okay if the game supported it, but microstutter was a real problem and I got so sick of having games not supporting it properly that I "upgraded" to a single GTX 560. Which had about 70% of the performance of the crossfire, but worked with all games and no microstutter.

I don't know if microstutter was ever dealt with but having full performance with no headaches about compatibility is more than worth it.

Also I don't foresee a GTX 1080Ti having trouble with 1080P anytime soon. Consoles would need serious upgrades before game devs are targeting a higher performance level. They just released the PS4 Pro and upgraded Xbone Whatever and neither are any match for a 1080Ti, I think the 1080Ti is about twice as fast as the new Xbox

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Assuming mGPU is ever actually supported, SLI wouldn't be used in that case would it?

The physical SLI bridge (or XDMA in AMDs case) can still be used to accelerate cross-card transfers, and nearly all of the DX12 mGPU implementations so far require it. mGPU doesn't use any of the classic SLI/CF driver magic though.

When people say "modern rendering techniques work poorly with SLI" they really mean that modern rendering techniques are a poor fit for multi-GPU in general though, not SLI specifically. mGPU gives more flexibility to work around those limitations but doesn't solve anything by itself.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

The physical SLI bridge (or XDMA in AMDs case) can still be used to accelerate cross-card transfers, and nearly all of the DX12 mGPU implementations so far require it. mGPU doesn't use any of the classic SLI/CF driver magic though.

When people say "modern rendering techniques work poorly with SLI" they really mean that modern rendering techniques are a poor fit for multi-GPU in general though, not SLI specifically. mGPU gives more flexibility to work around those limitations but doesn't solve anything by itself.

I think the only working mGPU dx12 title I've seen work is Ashes of the Singularity. Back when I had both my GTX1080 + GTX970 in the same machine mGPU across both those cards actually increased both min and max framerates in game buy a decent margin. I was impressed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Entropy238 posted:

I'd just wait for some desktop GPU's... you're at most about a week away from full firesale mode, with Bitcoin hitting 7000.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the sli 1080ti idea was just because I thought it would be fun to have the fastest possible setup (short of maybe sli Titan v but lol $6000)

None of the YouTube benchmarks mention SLI stutter. Oh well I'll just keep the single Rog Strix card or the evga hybrid if I win it, overclock it and be done until it won't hit 60fps anymore on whatever TV I have. I'm not really interested in 4k at the moment.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Well most of the microstutter was eliminated a few years ago, fortunately. And with today's ram buffer sizes, there is more to work with. But if you are presumably running 1080p on a 60hz tv you do not need two 1080tis.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1gnoirents posted:

Well most of the microstutter was eliminated a few years ago, fortunately. And with today's ram buffer sizes, there is more to work with. But if you are presumably running 1080p on a 60hz tv you do not need two 1080tis.

1080p at 60hz? You could run a 780 and be fine, using a 1080ti would be like using a supercar to drive to the end of your driveway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

1080p at 60hz? You could run a 780 and be fine, using a 1080ti would be like using a supercar to drive to the end of your driveway.

Let me tell you about this place called Los Angeles, which is filled with supercars that never top 30mph because they're in stop-and-go traffic their entire lives.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Bitcoin is falling hard. Hopefully street GPU prices follow suit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tehinternet posted:

My 1070 was struggling with wildlands and a few games at max settings. And with vr, Assetto Corsa was right at 90fps with high and medium mixed settings. I was hitting over 300fps with a single 1080p monitor but vr takes a lot of work apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vive/Oculus are rendering at an effective ‎2160×1200 not 1080p, which is probably why the 1070 was struggling a bit.