Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

En Fuego posted:

I have the itch. I don't like getting people together in person and there's a diverse meta. Plus no pants and weed.

And I multitask a lot when doing it. It's like online poker, and occasionally I can tilt people with ultra stupid decks.

ok, so now time for the important questions: Why is Turn Against in your edh deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

I think it's interesting that there is a post for what looks like Worth Wollpert's job.

https://company.wizards.com/job/executive-producer-digital-publishing-job-renton-wa-us

It seems that his termination wasn't because his position became redundant after the restructuring.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Ultima66 posted:

Actually on that note there's an interesting thing I never thought about or realized before MaRo's podcast about his day to day job: MaRo isn't a manager and doesn't want to be one. He mentioned having to have weekly one on one meetings with your direct reports if you were a manager and that he did have people reporting to him before but doesn't any more. Also he mentioned that there is a guy whose job it is to manage the rest of the design team in terms of keeping up with how they're doing as employees, doing performance reviews, etc so that he doesn't have to do that work himself.

Take that for what it's worth. It at least is some insight into MaRo's place in the company. He says he has to go to the meetings with the higher ups at WotC because he's obviously one of the most senior people there, but he never really has much interest or input into those kinds of meetings. I think that he explicitly didn't want to be promoted into a role where he has to spend more time caring about people issues than designing cards.

MaRo has so many hats on at WotC that it's easy to forget that his central job function is to design cards.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

here's the best advice i have for the deck:

don't play modern

the wrongest opinion in this thread

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Applebees posted:

I think it's interesting that there is a post for what looks like Worth Wollpert's job.

https://company.wizards.com/job/executive-producer-digital-publishing-job-renton-wa-us

It seems that his termination wasn't because his position became redundant after the restructuring.

As I mentioned he's been wanting to move from Seattle for a long while.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

So what % of the field is going to be copy cat this weekend?

Probably like 30%.

There will be a lot of players just jamming aggrocars to hedge against poo poo they haven't seen before.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Duskfiend posted:

Hey everyone. I've just finished buying into Lantern Control and I'm gonna take it to SCG Baltimore on Feb. 17th to do some team Constructed with my friends. I don't have any practice playing on paper, I only play Cockatrice. Is there anything I should know? I'm hoping to get a few modern FNMs under my belt beforehand, though :s

Take cockatrice testing data (against randoms) with a huge grain of salt. If you are playing a tier deck that you are competent with, you're going to win a lot, since most people on there are playing goofy brews or decks that they don't understand. Don't underestimate matchups or overestimate lines of play just because you beat up on a bunch of idiots.

It's much better to get reps in paper or on mtgo since you get better quality players (and in paper you can get feedback from your opponents).

Most definitely get some kind of paper experience. Your deck has a lot of sequencing to navigate, plus it's slow to finish games. You want enough reps that you're comfortable going on autopilot once the lock is in place and you're just trying to mill them out or whatever your actual kill is.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

the strongest opinion in this thread

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

the wrongest opinion in this thread

Agreed. If standard unfucks itself (unlikely) and modern continues the way it is right now, magic will be on the upswing. Modern got better after the bans for sure.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

if its a lantern players get out post than ok

but modern itself is real good

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Narset Transcendent is now an average of $15, $9 more than it was 2 weeks ago. I guess off of speculation for these esper control lists I've seen running 3 narset

McMagic was right

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Narset Transcendent is now an average of $15, $9 more than it was 2 weeks ago. I guess off of speculation for these esper control lists I've seen running 3 narset

McMagic was right

just went 3-0-1 with esper transcendant tonight at my LGS modern night. Even beat one of my nemeses in the final round.

-2 narset play esper charm, mind rot your opponent then draw 2 extra on your next turn. feels good man.

edit:

Anyone sell on TCGPlayer? How do you like it? I am looking to start trimming my collection since it is a little ridiculous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
An "Oh yeah, neat" moment from the wild world of banned cards and super standard sets that is Magic Duels: Flip-walkers from Origins trigger Revolt.

Also Walking Ballista is better than I gave it credit. Can take over late games. And I like Vengeful Rebel a lot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

An "Oh yeah, neat" moment from the wild world of banned cards and super standard sets that is Magic Duels: Flip-walkers from Origins trigger Revolt.

Also Walking Ballista is better than I gave it credit. Can take over late games. And I like Vengeful Rebel a lot.

Walking ballista is definitely better than people gave it credit for.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I was a doubter on the ballista until I read wtwlf123's cube review of it:

A scaleable Triskelion variant.

What I Like: The name of the game with Walking Ballista is flexibility. It can drop into and be effective in multiple different places in the curve. Early on in the game, it can be used as a 2 removal spell to kill off critical 1-toughness creatures like Mana Dorks, Thalia, Clique, Welder, Confidant, Rofellos, Cobra, Mother of Runes, etc. While less than ideal, spending 2 colorless mana to kill off one of those creatures is important. As the game progresses, Ballista can be bigger when it resolves, threatening to remove important 2-toughness creatures, or killing off a 1-toughness target and surviving to grow on subsequent turns. It’s the latter plays that make Ballista a formidable cube card. You can spend the 4 for his ability reactively, and do so only with mana that’s otherwise going unspent, making control a great shell for Ballista to shine. The thing to understand about Ballista is that once it has resolved and you have the 4 mana up to use reactively, the opponent can never effectively resolve another 1-toughness creature because you can just kill it. Once it has 2 counters on it and you have 4 mana open, they can never effectively resolve another 2-toughness threat. And so on. The effect scales, and can really start to snowball on the opponent. It has a similar effect on the board that the original Masticore does, with the added flexibility of being an early-game removal spell, and no discard drawback. But that’s just the beginning. Once you’ve stabilized the board and have this guy (reactively) growing, it’ll do decent attacking work for you too. Unlike Hangarback Walker, Ballista doesn’t have to tap to grow, so it can be doing some heavy lifting in the red zone while keeping its growth potential saved up in your mana in case you need to react with other spells. Perhaps better yet is how much damage this can represent in a single round. After a handful of turns when this has grown into a 5/5 or 6/6, the opponent has to chump-block it with their medium-sized dudes ...because it represents 10-12 damage in a single unblocked round of combat. More if you have mana available to grow it too. It can also be used to shoot planeswalkers directly when the need arises, so when it’s a 3/3, it can attack a 4-loyalty walker down to 1 in combat, and then remove a counter to shoot it to death. It’s surprisingly effective at killing ‘walkers because of how the damage stacks like that. It’s an incredible target in super-ramp, because when it can resolve as a huge creature, and grow multiple times a turn, it can threaten any creature the opponent can drop, in addition to being of a size where the opponent has no choice but to resolve creatures in an attempt to block it. Once this thing is in play and you have reactive mana to spend on its ability, it’s amazing how awkward of a position the opponent can get into. It’s also a prime target for Trinket Mage and the Recruiter(s), but it also has powerful interactions with Academy Ruins and Stronghold; being able to be used early to remove a creature and as a win condition late after stabilizing. After seeing it in action even a few times, it continually impressed me with how many different things it can do in so many different situations.

What I Don't Like: It probably doesn’t have a decent enough cost/power ratio to be played in aggro, since aggro doesn’t often have the mana to sink into effectively growing it either. It’s limited to being a card that goes in midrange and control decks most of the time.

Verdict: It looks like such a middling card because it’s never super cost-effective and it loses the abusive interactions that Triskelion has in the cube (the interactions that allow it to hold onto its last bit of cube-worthiness) ...but man, I’ve really been impressed with Walking Ballista so far in testing. I think this a card I would make room for in 450, and it might even sneak into some smaller lists if you play archetypes that revolve around critical 1-toughness creatures.

Sorry that was longer than I remembered and some of it is cube format specific but

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

En Fuego posted:

Plus no pants and weed.

This guy loving gets it.

I'm 100% sure both stores in my town don't want people smoking in front/out back BC kids and cops and I'm too nice to gently caress with them about it and just leave it to modo/kitchen table time.

Are there any 420 friendly game stores in the states where its rec legal? That's free money on the ground for someone to pick up

Big ol' wizard with a bong on your sign out front

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Friend's got a store near Pittsburgh and says he's probably going that direction if/when PN legalizes. He's been open a little over a year and is working on all the necessary bullshit for a liquor license too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PleasantDirge posted:

This guy loving gets it.

I'm 100% sure both stores in my town don't want people smoking in front/out back BC kids and cops and I'm too nice to gently caress with them about it and just leave it to modo/kitchen table time.

Are there any 420 friendly game stores in the states where its rec legal? That's free money on the ground for someone to pick up

You can't smoke inside a business in Washington regardless of what it is, but nobody really looks twice if you smoke pot outside.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally have all the Greedier mode runs done! Now to never touch that again until/if they make Antibirth official. Bethany should be easy, but how would Jacob even work in Greed/ier mode?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BJPaskoff posted:

I finally have all the Greedier mode runs done! Now to never touch that again until/if they make Antibirth official. Bethany should be easy, but how would Jacob even work in Greed/ier mode?

Well, given that this is the magic thread and not the BoI thread, just buy as many copies of chaos orb as you can and then use the spray and pray method of combat: if everything's dead, they don't need to program in the ability to use a second isaac.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Well, given that this is the magic thread and not the BoI thread, just buy as many copies of chaos orb as you can and then use the spray and pray method of combat: if everything's dead, they don't need to program in the ability to use a second isaac.

Well my eyes are hosed up from doing so many Greedier mode runs and there are a couple of posters shared between the threads and other excuses. If anyone doesn't know, Chaos Orb is literally a card pickup you can find in The Binding of Isaac, and it does exactly what you'd think Chaos Orb would do.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Well my eyes are hosed up from doing so many Greedier mode runs and there are a couple of posters shared between the threads and other excuses. If anyone doesn't know, Chaos Orb is literally a card pickup you can find in The Binding of Isaac, and it does exactly what you'd think Chaos Orb would do.

Can also find a black lotus and the starter deck is an MTG thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

isaac is a very fun game

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

xanthan posted:

Can also find a black lotus and the starter deck is an MTG thing.

Goes the other way, too!

The guest designer cards were neat, even if they didn't see a whole lot of play. Wonder if we'll ever see more, perhaps in a supplemental product or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Goes the other way, too!

The guest designer cards were neat, even if they didn't see a whole lot of play. Wonder if we'll ever see more, perhaps in a supplemental product or something.

Genesis Hydra saw a decent amount of play, at least

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Sickening posted:

Lantern control

I was seriously considering buying in to this deck myself as I've been playing a version of the mtggoldfish enchantress prison deck for a while. How do you find it not running spellbomb?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sigma-X posted:

That sounded pretty bog standard up until it was asking for TCG player specific design leadership.

Their benefits sound awesome, though. I'm digging halftime fridays, 3 weeks of vacation minimum plus christmas week, paid volunteer time, and they've got a handful of family-centric things too.

On the other hand, they have a shockingly bad Glassdoor profile so are probably a bunch of poo poo to work for :shrug:

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Aetherworks Marvel still seems like a busted deck. Ulamog instead of Emrakul isn't that much of a downgrade.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mfcrocker posted:

On the other hand, they have a shockingly bad Glassdoor profile so are probably a bunch of poo poo to work for :shrug:

Yeah I kinda figured since they can't get a decent tech team together in Seattle. I wasn't going to bother checking their glassdoor though since it's not like I have any desire to work for them.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Rinkles posted:

I'm fooling around with Modern, and my one example of this is Restoration Angel flickering your Snapcasters turns on Revolt too. No need for fetches etc to turn on Fatal Push.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

I was seriously considering buying in to this deck myself as I've been playing a version of the mtggoldfish enchantress prison deck for a while. How do you find it not running spellbomb?

How is that enchantress deck? I'm building it on the side for an eventual laugh and because there's a lot of aggro in my area. My limited testing indicates that it is indeed hilarious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wurzag posted:

Spell bomb is meh. I never understood why it was in lists.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

anglachel posted:

Aetherworks Marvel still seems like a busted deck. Ulamog instead of Emrakul isn't that much of a downgrade.

It's still good but, of course, not nearly as good. I've been playing a lot of versions with just the emmys changed and a techy one a friend sent me.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Elyv posted:

ok, so now time for the important questions: Why is Turn Against in your edh deck?

It's a Marchesa deck with Threaten effects (Turn Against is strong, as it's an instant and gets around pro-red). Essentially it's abusing the rules to steal a dude, attack with it (get a counter) and then sac it to various effects to get that creature back permanently under my control.

Edit: Seattle friends, is Legacy a frequent thing? How often does Mox run them? I am somewhat thinking I want to make a Death & Taxes.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 19, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PleasantDirge posted:

This guy loving gets it.

A lot of people at my local shop in San Diego (Villinaous Lair) used to disappear between rounds and get a beer at the bar across the street or smoke around the corner. No one said a thing, and that was before Trump Legalization. The customer base at the store is mostly adults in their twenties and thirties. That said, if you were visibly intoxicated in front of kids or a nuisance, I'm sure they'd kick your rear end out.

They're also very good about cracking down on hateful bullshit towards poc and LGBT folka, and they've got a big old lizard in a habitat they've mocked up to look like a giant planeswalker card. What I'm saying is that they're awesome.

It's not legal to smoke in a consumer location in California, I think. (I guess there are hookah bars. Not sure how that works.)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Goes the other way, too!

Yominous Merchant is a perfect card.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I just found out about the card Uncle Istvan yesterday.

I need to make a fun on theme casual deck surrounding him, Homicial Seclusion and a bunch of removal spells for kitchentable multiplayer.

Any ideas?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still sad that in the Great Creature Type Update he just become Creature - Human instead of Summon Uncle Istvan as originally printed.

On the other hand, the oracle errata to Nameless Race is great.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

C-Euro posted:

How is that enchantress deck? I'm building it on the side for an eventual laugh and because there's a lot of aggro in my area. My limited testing indicates that it is indeed hilarious.

I find it really fun, and you can beat even the really aggressive aggro decks including infect, though it does fall over really hard when it doesn't come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

anglachel posted:

Ulamog is still good, but losing Emrakul is a huge hit for a couple of reasons beyond just being the more powerful finisher.

1.) They weren't running one or the other beforehand; they were running both. Losing Emrakul means they go from having two playsets of cards that pretty much win on the spot off a fast marvel activation down to just the Ulamogs, making the T4 backbreakers much less consistent.
2.) Emrakul can feasibly be cast out of hand if the game stalls out a bit, which means the Marvel deck can win games even when it doesn't have Marvel.. The jump from 6-7 all the way up to 10 for Ulamog is substantial and they are much more likely to die with Ulamog in their hand.

• Locked thread