Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUf_8jyxbiM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

FizFashizzle posted:

My god the battle of winterfel. I knew that was going to be trash when the creators were like “this is the biggest battle ever portrayed on the screen.” I remember reading that about a battle before seeing Troy with their Bronze Age exploding planes and cntrl c cntrl v open plains attack.

Imagine spending that many seasons building up so many things and using one of them.

- They finally got the Dothraki across the narrow sea and immediately sent them into a blind calvary charge into complete darkness (and somehow only lost 1/3rd of them)

- Danaeyris spent the whole battle floating around on her dragon that sure would have been useful against those creatures who were basically only vulnerable to fire.

- Speaking of fire, sure would have been nice if that fire mage who was sending abortion assassins did anything at all during the fight.

- And maybe explain why Bran isn’t just worging into….anything. Do something.

- The unstoppable night king was killed by a teenage girl stealing a move from the second resident evil movie, but not after omniscient bran didn’t stop Theon from killing himself for no reasons mere moments before.

- The giant undead army was nothing but the puddy patrol. The only thing that wasn’t cgi was the quick shot of actors lying on the fire to build the undead bridge.

And of course Plot Armor Jon Snow basically fist fighting an undead dragon and shuffle blocking its fire because the idiots on Imgur demanded it. I’m convinced the last three seasons were made just so Imgur could make memes. Like that little girl who talked poo poo to the lords? Well guess what she’s going to be a general now, and she’s going to be crushed by a frost giant while stabbing it in the eye heroically in her final moments. Epic bacon sir.

The one shot from that battle that will always stick with me is every minor character they didn’t want to kill pressed against a wall just flopping their swords against a literal wall of undead. There’s Tarley and Jamie, somehow surviving.

The lasting image of that series is (and should be) Danny turning into Hitler in the span of twenty minutes of screen time because of how incompetent the (children of Goldman Sachs bankers) creators were and are. But the awfulness of the attack on kings landing really makes people forget how bad winterfell was.

And all this rushed in a condensed season so the creators could pursue their true passion: an alt history series about the south winning the civil war.

One of the eight people that reads the front page should go through the aftermath of the Battle of Winterfel thread and quote the goons reflexively defending every part of that episode. Just complete loving nonsense.

Thank you I’ll take my 5 for 5 2 for 6, please.

Danny Hitler, VP of Animal Teams

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Yeah, just about every NPC that you encounter in the games starts conversation with that line.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
well actually'ing a video game catchphrase from 1997

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

RealityWarCriminal posted:

well actually'ing a video game catchphrase from 1997

Mario. Mario never changes... 64

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FizFashizzle posted:

My god the battle of winterfel. I knew that was going to be trash when the creators were like “this is the biggest battle ever portrayed on the screen.” I remember reading that about a battle before seeing Troy with their Bronze Age exploding planes and cntrl c cntrl v open plains attack.

Imagine spending that many seasons building up so many things and using one of them.

- They finally got the Dothraki across the narrow sea and immediately sent them into a blind calvary charge into complete darkness (and somehow only lost 1/3rd of them)

- Danaeyris spent the whole battle floating around on her dragon that sure would have been useful against those creatures who were basically only vulnerable to fire.

- Speaking of fire, sure would have been nice if that fire mage who was sending abortion assassins did anything at all during the fight.

- The unstoppable night king was killed by a teenage girl stealing a move from the second resident evil movie, but not after omniscient bran didn’t stop Theon from killing himself for no reasons mere moments before.

- The giant undead army was nothing but the puddy patrol. The only thing that wasn’t cgi was the quick shot of actors lying on the fire to build the undead bridge.

And of course Plot Armor Jon Snow basically fist fighting an undead dragon and shuffle blocking its fire because the idiots on Imgur demanded it. I’m convinced the last three seasons were made just so Imgur could make memes. Like that little girl who talked poo poo to the lords? Well guess what she’s going to be a general now, and she’s going to be crushed by a frost giant while stabbing it in the eye heroically in her final moments. Epic bacon sir.

The one shot from that battle that will always stick with me is every minor character they didn’t want to kill pressed against a wall just flopping their swords against a literal wall of undead. There’s Tarley and Jamie, somehow surviving.

The lasting image of that series is (and should be) Danny turning into Hitler in the span of twenty minutes of screen time because of how incompetent the (children of Goldman Sachs bankers) creators were and are. But the awfulness of the attack on kings landing really makes people forget how bad winterfell was.

And all this rushed in a condensed season so the creators could pursue their true passion: an alt history series about the south winning the civil war.

One of the eight people that reads the front page should go through the aftermath of the Battle of Winterfel thread and quote the goons reflexively defending every part of that episode. Just complete loving nonsense.

grok could do it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FizFashizzle posted:

Beating on GoT is hardly a challenge, even my dad started criticizing it around the time Euron Grayjoy's fleet pops out of a wormhole to surprise attack Theon in the middle of the ocean. (This was made up wholecloth for the show naturally.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Read the books

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
the wars, they are a-changin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a.lo posted:

Read the books

i will not

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a.lo posted:

Read the books

the last two books are as bad as the last seasons of the show

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bip Roberts posted:

the last two books are as bad as the last seasons of the show

Yep. And the show actually finishes the story, even if the ending is hot garbage

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

No sir they actually only say it maybe twice a game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Peace? I hate that word

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yep. And the show actually finishes the story, even if the ending is hot garbage

Grok will finish the books for grrm

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a.lo posted:

Read the books

The books end, canonically, in a epic case of diarrhea

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Beating on GoT is hardly a challenge, even my dad started criticizing it around the time Euron Grayjoy's fleet pops out of a wormhole to surprise attack Theon in the middle of the ocean. (This was made up wholecloth for the show naturally.)

Animal teams

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a.lo posted:

Read the books

Why? They aren't finished.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

he should just give up trying to solve the convoluted knot he wrote himself into and enjoy his retirement. surprised the 13 years of procrastination stress hasn't already killed him.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
The Winds of Winter will be around 1,500 pages. Martin said, as of November 2023, he had written roughly 1,100 pages and had “hundreds more pages to go."

:ok:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I never watched game of thrones so the freak outs are always funny to me. Now, Lost...

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Also tldr

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I never watched game of thrones so the freak outs are always funny to me. Now, Lost...

lost got lost in the middle but actually had a decent ending

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Karach posted:

The Winds of Winter will be around 1,500 pages. Martin said, as of November 2023, he had written roughly 1,100 pages and had “hundreds more pages to go."

:ok:

at that point why wouldn’t one just publish a portion of those pages as a normal door stopper length fantasy book!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

lost got lost in the middle but actually had a decent ending

I actually didn't mind the end either, most people just called it in the first few episodes.

I saw a retrospective on it on YouTube and surprise, they didn't even expect the pilot to get picked up let alone become a hit so they just had to keep making poo poo up for a few years.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

keep making poo poo up for a few years.

the jj abrams technique

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

M'suk

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Rauros posted:

he should just give up trying to solve the convoluted knot he wrote himself into and enjoy his retirement. surprised the 13 years of procrastination stress hasn't already killed him.

Not writing a book sounds a lot less stressful than writing a book, especially with that HBO money flowing in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's right

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

I actually didn't mind the end either, most people just called it in the first few episodes.

I saw a retrospective on it on YouTube and surprise, they didn't even expect the pilot to get picked up let alone become a hit so they just had to keep making poo poo up for a few years.

You kind of have to in a multi-season show. If you plan everything out you’re gonna end up in sticky situations when like actors quit, or everyone hates your darling hero character that is in every scene, or loves a guy that is supposed to be unceremoniously killed off after two episodes. Breaking Bad for example wouldn’t have had Jesse or Hank for very long if they stuck to the plan.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/05/neuralink-to-implant-2nd-human-with-brain-chip-as-75-of-threads-retract-in-1st/

quote:

Only about 15 percent of the electrode-bearing threads implanted in the brain of Neuralink's first human brain-chip patient continue to work properly, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. The remaining 85 percent of the threads became displaced, and many of the threads that were left receiving little to no signals have been shut off.

Neuralink, owned by controversial billionaire Elon Musk, believes it can prevent thread movement in the next patient by simply implanting the fine wires deeper into brain tissue. The company is planning on—and the FDA has reportedly signed off on—implanting the threads 8 millimeters into the brain of the second trial participant rather than the 3 mm to 5 mm depth used in Arbaugh's implantation.

just stick them in more better. duh

neuralink v0.8 (beta) out next week

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

so do they just throw this guy in the dumpster then

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

The neurolink stuff is by far the most ghoulish poo poo musk is up to. All of the stupid dick riders getting viking funerals in their 100k memecars is just karma, but tech bro grifting people with quadriplegia is a special kind hosed.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

deathbysnusnu posted:

The neurolink stuff is by far the most ghoulish poo poo musk is up to. All of the stupid dick riders getting viking funerals in their 100k memecars is just karma, but tech bro grifting people with quadriplegia is a special kind hosed.
He helped a man play civ 6 and you're mad??

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

deathbysnusnu posted:

You can't judge a book by its cover

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat no flag

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1792075461843140900?t=6dyExQDqNBM50mFdS6s69A&s=19

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol a couple more millimeters will fix the extra cranial pressure as well right???

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Elon has grok working tirelessly to unwoke game of thrones so that it didn't turn to absolute poo poo once they killed Robb and also remove all the weiners.